Vaping pressed kief - methods

chimpybits

Back from 420 fun with pressed kief with which I'm a total noob.

I've done some searching here and have read a few posts on methods of vaping kief - including some pressed versus loose opinions, but still have the need to post ...

I've always been happy doing hash by itself in my Silver Surfer - just break up the better part of a gram and drop in the bowl - all smiles, no issues. However, having seen vids of others topping their bong or vaporizer bowls with a sprinkling of loose kief, I've found myself interested in fresh kief as a good way to boost the potency of your bowl when you need it / want it.

Can I return my pressed kief to loose easily enough? Can I crumble it back to the loose kief consistency? Will it not break up enough when vaping and stirring to be nearly the same consistency as loose?

Also, what would you do with it given my setup - SSV whip? I'd prefer to use my SSV as opposed to combusting. Herb sandwich? Crumble as fine as I can and sprinkle on top of herb? Crumble and do straight?

chimpybits,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
I use loose kief I sift when I grind in my 4 piece.
In the ssv I put a normal pack of herb, an then just put some of the loose keif on top. Enough to cover the herb.
I usually try to just stir the keif for the first few hits, then I just stir as normal after that.

Basically, IMO, as long as you've got enough herb in there for the ssv to hit nice, top it with however much keif you'd like.

I've read of people using coffee grinders to break up pressed keif/other hash.
Maybe that's an option for you?

Frederick McGuire,

djonkoman

I guess you just mean hash since that's pressed kief, and in that case it depends a bit on the hash, but I haven't succeeded at getting it as fine as kief. finest I got it was with small scissors(nailscissors), got it pretty fine with a lot of work/time, but still not fine enough. just vaping it as hash without weed works best for me

djonkoman,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
Well I guess I just meant hash then :lol:.(I thought there was a few different ways of making it, didn't know if that gave it different names)
I only have access to flowers, so my experience with hash is zero, but I've gone through a fair bit of my sifted kief.

Frederick McGuire,

ilovebOObs

can i stick my male joint in there?
i've done both chunks and very fine powder. i don't really see a difference. after a few hits and a stir it all becomes fine powder anyways. but i don't use ssv, but my lsv and HI handle hash/oil/waxes like champs.

ilovebOObs,
Reactions: Tweak

Tweak

T\/\/34|<
I've tried breaking/cutting/crushing hash into smaller pieces to spread in with my herb, but it gets all stuck to my fingers and scissors. I feel like I'm losing more that way than anything else.

I'm not using a SSV vape itself, but I am using the GonG SSV wand, and the hash I smoked in it yesterday I just shoved into the middle of all the herb and it worked great, super fat hits.

Let us know if you run some tests. I would like to know if there is a perceived difference if you break it up.

Tweak,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
I used to get my kief pressed, now I explicitly ask that it be kept in a powder form. It is much easier for me to work with.

Vicki,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Take pressed kief. Cut/break off size I want. Place in Underdog. Vape normally but better :cool:

darkrom,

chimpybits

Hmm, so various methods.

To clarify the hash / kief terminology. I see that pressed kief is considered a hashish variety, but for my purposes here "hash" is the brown stuff and "kief" - pressed or loose - is the light green stuff. Brown hash has a distinctive spicy smell and taste. It varies in its softness, but is typically made soft enough to crumble by briefly warming with a lighter. I've vaped hash (and combusted the stuff since the 70's) - the solid brown stuff . I don't know what method was used to create it, but it's just what I've called "hash". Kief however is totally new to me. Clearly a different color and different process to create.

I've only vaped hash by itself in the SSV and it works great - very satisfying with smooth big hits, and the bowl just goes and goes - much longer than weed. I haven't tried with ABV or fresh weed mostly because I know that hash requires a higher temperature and don't like the idea of taking my weed to the upper temperature ranges in order to milk the hash.

I assume kief also requires higher temperature than flowers? It sounds like I should just approach pressed kief the same as I do for brown hash?

I think I'd like to try 2 methods: the coffee grinder method of breaking up some of my kief and sprinkling on top of weed AND also try the pressed chunks. If I have enough pressed left over to just use by itself in my SSV (like I've done with brown hash), then I'll try that; otherwise I'll try a kief+flowers sandwich. I am most drawn to the sprinkling loose kief method to boost my bowl especially as I don't expect to come across any more kief and would rather use it as an occasional tool to boost my high when I need it (i.e. because of high tolerance, special occasions, etc.).

i've done both chunks and very fine powder. i don't really see a difference. after a few hits and a stir it all becomes fine powder anyways. but i don't use ssv, but my lsv and HI handle hash/oil/waxes like champs.
I like the sound of this. This is nearly what happens to my brown hash as I vape (and stir and perhaps grind in hand toward the end). I don't know if this would happen if used with flowers. I would think that brown hash or kief wouldn't break down (increasing surface area) as much if combined with herb as when used on its own ...

chimpybits,

djonkoman

hash comes in many colors and consistencies, I would treat pressed kief as any other hash.
the only difference with hash I could imagine is when it's not pressed really well, maybe without heating, and it easily crumbles into dust without even heating it.
but if that's not the case I would treat it just like any other hash(wich in my case is the same as darkrom's technique)

chimpybits

Thanks djonkoman. I will just treat kief as I do any other hash. I think I'll then just try it straight and if I can manage to crumble or grind it enough then I'll try some sprinkled like sugar on top. Looking forward to vaping normally but better.

chimpybits,
Top Bottom