Vaping in Canada...

fangorn

Hello Canadian friends!

my partner, my 2 young children and I are planning to move to Montreal next summer...

I have dozens of questions but to make it short, I would like to know how the vaporization market, and cannabis in general, is in Canada...

I'm French so I know the Canadians are way ahead...

In France, I order my equipment online on 3 shops almost exclusively!
Is it easy to find physical vape shops? cannabis shops?

Is the weed of good quality? is the culture sufficiently regulated for us to vape with confidence? If I'm lucky with the apartment we find, I'll need a few months before I'm independent again at this level...!

and at the level of Canadian society (or in Montreal more specifically), how is the cultivation / consumption / vaporization of cannabis viewed?

I know it's a broad discussion but it's to try to get a more precise idea...
You can consider any information as valuable to me!

Thank you in advance !

(hoping this question/discussion will be accepted by the moderators...if not...sorry in advance!)

CR250M

Ontario, CA
It is legal in Canada, where you can smoke a cigarette legally you can smoke a spliff, joint, pipe or vape I mean walking down the street legal. As far as whats available I don't live in Montreal but rather a small 50,000 population city and we have about 10 stores plus you can order online from just about anywhere for anything.

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
Take a look at sqdc.ca to get a sense of what will be available in Quebec.

Here in Ontario, cannabis shops are EVERYWHERE.

Generally I would say that cannabis is viewed positively, and since legalization It's become much more openly accepted.

Craft/small high-end growers are becoming quite popular, and I only see the demand for craft cannabis going up in the future. There are a number of growers based in Quebec putting out some amazing things.

B.C. also has some great growers doing things with organic living soil, etc..

I think you'll get along just fine over here!

fangorn

ohhh... so cooooool....
an answer from THE @Dan Morrison
I didn't expect you to read this thread...
you cannot realize how beneficial it is for me!
I find it hard to accept leaving my old elders... so in a tiny corner of my head, and even if I know it's stupid, I have the idea that I'm going to live in your workshop. .. you know, the one that looks like Santa's elf workshop... with the snow all around and the warm light that invites you to look out the window... (I know that the reality of Montreal will be fine different, but it's a thought that reassures me!!)

I had already tried to look at the sqdc.ca site... unfortunately it is only accessible from Canada.... and I don't have a vpn...

do the artisan growers you mention have websites? if you can send me one or two names, I'll look on the internet... but, hey, I'm not in a hurry on this subject... it will be part of my research when I arrive!

but it reassures me that you are talking about organic cultivation... it's my technique... and I was afraid to buy cannabis with leftover mineral fertilizers!

on the subject of culture, do you know how it is tolerated by the neighborhood (relatively discreet culture with noise reducer and carbon filter of course...)?
in France, it made me paranoid for a few days...

I have been a social worker for more than 10 years in France... and I know that I won't have too much trouble finding a job in this sector... but once there, and despite my lack of a diploma and my little experience as a grower, I will try to find a job in the world of vaporizers or cultivation... so it's cool to hear that there are very good growers in Quebec...

everyone, can you tell me if there are a few or a lot of vaporizer stores? it will certainly not be paid well enough for me to provide for the needs of the family... but maybe my passion can help me get a job as a salesman... just to get a foothold in the sector...

Thanks everybody to took time to read this post and to answer to me !!

fangorn,
Reactions: shredder

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
:lol:

Tribal, Coast Mountain Cannabis, Simply Bare, Weathered Islands, broken coast, carmel, ghost drops, msiku, are some brands to check out.

Look at the ocs subreddit for reviews.

You will be 100% fine vaping cannabis anywhere in Montreal.

All legal cannabis is sold through the sqdc in quebec. It's all tested, THC/CBD percentages and terpenes are on the package, some brands also list the terpene percentage. It's tested for contaminants.

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
I'm getting ready for my annual trip north from the US to my second home in Newfoundland. I can actually see the south coast of Quebec from my front deck across the Strait of Belle Isle. In preparation for this trip I looked at shops along the way in Newfoundland, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia. Each store has hundreds of offerings. Most of the stuff is tested and just superb, though I have gotten watery hash rosin and flower that wasn't very strong because it had been sitting there for months.

One thing I miss that we have in Maine is a variety of different types of shops. Its not the variety per se that I miss, but over the last two years of adult recreational stores opening I've found myself gravitating to the businesses that grow, process, and retail, what's called vertical and horizontal integration. The integrated grower/processor/retailers know their products well, are mostly into quality rather than cheapness, and seem to have fresher product. I don't know what the situation is in Quebec, but that's the sort of company I'd look for.

fangorn

Thanks a lot for your feedback @Dan Morrison

I looked at most of the references you gave me and it's really cool!!
Exactly the type of artisan grower I will be looking for!

for reddit, I don't have an account... it's a good source of information??

Same, thanks @Polarbearboy
I will indeed orient myself towards small producers, as much as possible!
and your annual trip looks very cool!! make the best of it !

In addition, I looked a little on the internet for the legislation relating to private culture....
can someone, clear with this, explain to me briefly where it is today?
In France, the info seems hard to find... we can't follow the changes...
I have the impression that cultivation for recreational purposes is prohibited... pending a possible future judgment.
If my accommodation is suitable, I aim for four feet so, at worst, I risk paying a fine (anyone know how much??).
is it ok, if it is for medical purposes? and is it easy to get a prescription? I can say that I have been self-medicating with cannabis for more than 15 years, or overestimate the frequency of my migraines...

I'm having trouble finding an interesting Canadian cannabis site...maybe a forum? same for vaping?
if you have sites or forum on the subject I am taker...! Thank you in advance !

ah and I saw that the owners of accommodation could prohibit smoking tobacco, or cannabis in their apartment... in reality how does it happen?

Thank you in advance for your answers !!!

fangorn,

whatitdew

Vapes R Great
I’m not sure I’d it’s the same in Montreal but on the opposite side in BC we can ship and ounce of pot legally. And anybody can grow if you own your property or your landlords are ok with it. You just can’t sell it or have more than a few plants. But every province has different rules.

The legal market is getting good and cheap now and a lot of the illegal guys are becoming legal.
but I still like to get my herb from local growers. Things have been getting really cheap. $100 ounces for AAAA, my last guy gave me a free qp (4 ounces!!!) of herb last time…lol literally swimming in herb out here these days.
but BC is kind of like the Wild West for cannabis, a little bit spoiled here with all the people growing.
Historically most of the top crops were grown in BC and trucked across Canada to Quebec. Still lots of groups doing it today.
socially weed is very accepted here, it’s normal. But you still get lots of “Karen’s” and some of the more newer to Canada people might not be so accepting towards it. But most Canadians who have lived here for 10+ years are super easy going about it.

I buy all my stuff online, the vape head shops are mostly overpriced And don’t know vapes like our community does. If you know somebody who works for a shop you can get some good deals. But still I use the online vendors trusted here. Sneaky pete and TheHerbCafe are two good Canadian shops.

fangorn

Thank you for the info @ !!

I often went to look at the products on the two vaporizer sites that you told me... I won't be too out of place then, that's cool! especially since from memory, the sneaky shop is really great!!

the legislation for cultivation and possession looks a little different in Quebec, I'll look into it!

uh... on the other hand... what are these prices???? I just did the math... my mind just can't figure it out!!
how can this be profitable for growers?!!
I will certainly not cultivate if I have access to these prices there... with the quality that follows!
Ecologically and economically it wouldn't really make sense.... I'm happy to have my own culture but I'm not going to rush then!!
and if I have confirmation of the prices, I will even resell the LEDs that I intended to keep...

Could someone be kind enough to give me an average / vague idea of the prices on the famous SQDC site?

Thanks sincerely @!! This info gives me food for thought!

PS:
- I suddenly have a strong desire to learn about British Columbia
- I did not understand this sentence: "But you still get lots of “Karen’s” and some of the more newer to Canada people might not be so accepting towards it."

fangorn,

Bad Dog

Yeah I pissed on the rug...... so what
welcome to the great white north! my first advice? get some Broken Coast weed from the provincial store to try, its one of my favourite cultivators, great quality. second thing go medical, if you can't find a in person doc which might be difficult and a ticklish subject to approach right off the bat :lol: there are quite a few cannabis clinics and even online actual doctors for weed, you can even be prescribed for insomnia. you might not buy all you weed medical if you find a good grey market shop but a lot of it is hit and miss, you never get legit thc testing, and I'd be very wary of buying any sort of solvent based extracted concentrate, frankly I would never risk it for concentrate. if you can find it in Quebec and your interested in concentrate look for QWEST, they make absolutely lovely sunset Mac live rosin solventless concentrate and their apricot live sugar is also incredibly nice but I'm not sure what it is?? when I looked on the QWEST site I remember reading it was solventless but the OCS has it listed as butane but they also seem to have errors on their site, either way the live sugar is still nice.

sorry I can't give you the inside scoop about what to expect in Quebec or the best places to go in Montréal , I'm in Ontario your neighbour to the direct left lol but if I remember correctly @The Chemist is from that neck of the woods, maybe if is sees my tag he'll chime in but I haven't seen him recently ????? hope you're well bro!

fangorn

Thank you very much for the "welcome message" @Bad Dog
I appreciate !!!

"the great white north"... it has an intimidating side...
I saw a documentary about Quebec yesterday... I like nature and wide open spaces but I don't know if I'm ready... haha

Anyway, I'll definitely give your favorite cultivator a try! what is this "provincial store" you speak of??
Thank you so much anyway !

for the concentrates, I'm going to skip my turn but your feedback is very interesting!!!

ah and yes, @The Chemist ! come and share your experience with me 😁 if you have the time and the desire of course!!

(I take this opportunity to ask a question about electronic cigarettes... do you know if flavorings are still tolerated? Could someone tell me the 2-3 biggest online stores? Thanks in advance!)

fangorn,

fangorn

Good !

We found an apartment 150 meters from the Saint-Laurent in a neighborhood that seems relatively quiet!
for the same price I paid in the Parisian suburbs, here I am with double the surface 😁
on the other hand, my landlord lives on the floor below and has put a clause on the lease: no smoking or vaping inside the apartment... ok for that on the balconies...

the open-mindedness of Canadians on cannabis, which we mentioned earlier in this subject... seems to me immediately more procedural...

I will still vape indoors... with an open window... (maybe not when it's -30°C outside...)

but I will certainly not ask him to sign an authorization for the cultivation of medical cannabis...

and for the prices, I saw prices a little higher at the SQDC than those I had seen in the excitement... (about $10 per gram)

who are these gray dealers you mention? Are these resellers found on the internet, not affiliated with the SQDC?
I saw, for example, on the coast mountain cannabis site that they were selling medical cannabis directly... I imagine that I could get a prescription for migraines or back pain, or some reason with difficulty verifiable...

what are your supply paths, your favorite suppliers?

ah, and I repeat myself, but is there a forum or a website that would be a good resource for me? (I always have Reddit in mind... even if I'm not very excited about it...)

Thanks in advance !!!
Happy vaping to you!

HyDrOpOnIc1987

Im from Ontario and buy from the grey/black market as i am on social assistance (fighting for disability). For me, its hard to afford all the top shelf stuff, but i have found a few decent Mail Order Marijuana sites, as well as having a plug in town for some fairly decent mids delivered to my door cheap.

No matter your financial level, if you vape you can get decent weed :) Canada is chock full of good weed. Also lots of garbage, but you start to learn quick who to get from and what to look for. If you need to find any MoM (mail order) sites, check out Reddit's Canadian MoM sub, but u will need to have a vpn to access it from WITHIN canada as i believe it was the Edmonton police who forced it to be inaccessible from within canada during a big bust before legalization lol you should be fine to view from France though, anywhere as long as its not in canada.

Instagram apparently has really good Canadian growers as well. I havent tried any myself, but have heard good things. I have a hard time buying weed that i cant look at and smell before i buy, hence why i use my intown plug the most lol plus i get some good samples when he gets new stuff lol so i stay relatively loyal lol

Oh, forgot to mention, DONT get concentrates on black or grey market. Theyre not tested truthfully and a lot can be made with solvents and may not be purged properly. I'm bad and still occassionally dabble with them, but i try to check quality ahead of time which isnt usually possible unless u know someone who has some u can try or know the vendor. Honestly, its not worth taking a risk.

Easywider

Simple is the way
Oh, forgot to mention, DONT get concentrates on black or grey market.

I have to disagree with this, just like with flower, read the mom reviews, and order from trusted sites. Get incredible products for incredible prices.

So many great sauce brands on the Grey market and they all make the legal stuff look laughable. Here are just a few of the more popular concentrate brands and it's just the tip of the iceberg.

High Voltage Extracts
Sauce House
Enigma Extracts
Distillate Direct
Xop Bop
GanjaWise
Kind Selections
Naturally Farmed Cannabis
Canadian Canna Collective

So many options here in Canada!

HyDrOpOnIc1987

I have to disagree with this, just like with flower, read the mom reviews, and order from trusted sites. Get incredible products for incredible prices.

So many great sauce brands on the Grey market and they all make the legal stuff look laughable. Here are just a few of the more popular concentrate brands and it's just the tip of the iceberg.

High Voltage Extracts
Sauce House
Enigma Extracts
Distillate Direct
Xop Bop
GanjaWise
Kind Selections
Naturally Farmed Cannabis
Canadian Canna Collective
I just meant dont get from untrusted non vetted sources like new MoM sites, or those old scammy ones. So i take back the dont EVER use them bpart and say do your homework first.

I have had some amazing grey market concentrates as well, but the ones that are cheaper were the ones i was really referring to. Ones like High Voltage Extracts are more expensive and are very much good quality, but most MoM sites or delivery places also hold $20 or less grams of shatter than are pure garbage. Just be careful and definitely look at the reviews on the MoM sub reddit. Can also ask for advice and input on good trustworth places to buy on there as well.

Dang, also forgot to mention that there are some shady MoM's out there, so asking about them on the sub reddit will help find the most trustworthy ones with the best stock. So many options in Canada, hard to go wrong lol

Easywider

Simple is the way
I just meant dont get from untrusted non vetted sources like new MoM sites, or those old scammy ones. So i take back the dont EVER use them bpart and say do your homework first.

I have had some amazing grey market concentrates as well, but the ones that are cheaper were the ones i was really referring to. Ones like High Voltage Extracts are more expensive and are very much good quality, but most MoM sites or delivery places also hold $20 or less grams of shatter than are pure garbage. Just be careful and definitely look at the reviews on the MoM sub reddit. Can also ask for advice and input on good trustworth places to buy on there as well.

Dang, also forgot to mention that there are some shady MoM's out there, so asking about them on the sub reddit will help find the most trustworthy ones with the best stock. So many options in Canada, hard to go wrong lol

So very true! It can be overwhelming to get into, there are just so many MOMs it's easy to be led astray. Seen lots of them start out like rockstars and then turn to "stay away from here" in less than a year's time.

I recommend searching through the CanadianMom sub on Reddit, looking within a short date range of 6-8months, and seeing who people are currently gushing over. Look for names that get brought up the most often. Then do the same thing, but look at anything older than a year or 2 and see if you see any of the same names. It will give you an idea of the veterans who've been doing good to people. Try a few out with small orders to start. Most offer free shipping or a first-order signup bonus. So it's good to shop around.

Bad Dog

I'm on disability and medical and have been for 10 years and one of the reasons I switched to vaping is because I want to take my health more seriously so buying grey or black market doesn't appeal to me, there are to many unknowns for my liking. being on disability I get a up to 30% off on most products from my LG's, they also have frequent sales but since I get the discount I don't get the sale price in addition most times, sometimes they send out customer appreciation coupon codes I can use, I've gotten up to 60% off on some of those offers. I like that my weed is tested, gives me a idea what to expect, but really I love the testing on concentrate and edible oils, you really know your dose there!!!! and rather than trying to save a buck I prefer supporting growers like Broken Coast that have their own breeding program and hand trim their bud with the gentlest of love. been some time since I've bought anything grey market and some was ok but this was some time ago and I would hope they have matured a bit but other than saving a few bucks and spending countless hours reading on reddit I'd rater try a new grower and see if I like their stuff, I either do or don't and move on and I never have to worry about what I'm vaping. :2c:

Easywider

Simple is the way
I'm on disability and medical and have been for 10 years and one of the reasons I switched to vaping is because I want to take my health more seriously so buying grey or black market doesn't appeal to me, there are to many unknowns for my liking. being on disability I get a up to 30% off on most products from my LG's, they also have frequent sales but since I get the discount I don't get the sale price in addition most times, sometimes they send out customer appreciation coupon codes I can use, I've gotten up to 60% off on some of those offers. I like that my weed is tested, gives me a idea what to expect, but really I love the testing on concentrate and edible oils, you really know your dose there!!!! and rather than trying to save a buck I prefer supporting growers like Broken Coast that have their own breeding program and hand trim their bud with the gentlest of love. been some time since I've bought anything grey market and some was ok but this was some time ago and I would hope they have matured a bit but other than saving a few bucks and spending countless hours reading on reddit I'd rater try a new grower and see if I like their stuff, I either do or don't and move on and I never have to worry about what I'm vaping. :2c:

It's funny you say that, all valid points but the only bud I've ever received that was moldy was from legal OCS weed. Broken coast used to be a great option before they were purchased by Aphria (maybe you have some different options on the medical side though). So many friends of mine purchase legal weed every day and it's always overdried terpless trash in comparison to the MOMs who have been doing this job since the early 90's (is that mature enough?). Nobody needs to spend "Endless hours" on Reddit to find them either. It's not about being cheap, it's about finding the most enjoyable bud. To each their own, everyone is welcome to spend their money how they like. I just feel like you're kinda misrepresenting an amazing resource.

Bad Dog

this is just my personal preference and I don't expect anyone to stridently adhere to what I like for myself. there is plenty of crap med and good grey because some growers care. but the fact I can't trust them to be there the next day or continually offer a particular strain that works for me doesn't make it a viable long term care thing. I've been buying some strains for 10 years cause they work for me and are consistent in potency. the whole fly by the seat of your pants offerings, here today, gone tomorrow doesn't allow me to medicate effective over time. to each their own but I'd rater foster caring growers and the cominuinty within.

Easywider

Simple is the way
foster caring growers and the cominuinty within.
I've been buying some strains for 10 years cause they work for me and are consistent in potency.

This 100%,
I think we can both agree this is something we are passionate about and are just coming from different viewpoints.
I like the Moms I order from for the exact same reason. Strong community with responsive and empathetic customer service, Passionate growers that they have worked with for years, that put out consistent high-quality strains time and time again. There can be some downtime between batches but they keep coming back.

Bad Dog

I think we can also both agree it definitely helps to know where to look cause there is a lot of junk both med and grey. I'm definitely not saying all grey is bad but I like the perks of legal like testing and I get fresher weed buying direct from the grower than OCS (boo), but you never know how good something is till you try it in either case.

Top Bottom