Vaping Fresh Live Buds

Alexis

I don't see why, if 80% of the weight will be gone in 1 week of 40% RH dark room, why not letting all the water evaporate? the ice will tear off the trichomes from the plant when it's dried and you will have to work with less weight, volume of trim/buds
I won’t say you are wrong. I just know from memory how it was really surprising to me to learn that allegedly its actually much better to turn your instantly fresh harvest directly into bubble hash, without drying or curing.

With the curing somehow proceeding in the final product I think.

There was more detail to explain why that’s the optimum time to do it, but there is apparently an advantage to the final product. The extra weight to work with probably makes little difference, as there is extra volume too so there’s some compensation there.

And I would prob use one of those washing machine type tumblers for it too.

MegaMan2k

I won’t say you are wrong. I just know from memory how it was really surprising to me to learn that allegedly its actually much better to turn your instantly fresh harvest directly into bubble hash, without drying or curing.

With the curing somehow proceeding in the final product I think.

There was more detail to explain why that’s the optimum time to do it, but there is apparently an advantage to the final product. The extra weight to work with probably makes little difference, as there is extra volume too so there’s some compensation there.

And I would prob use one of those washing machine type tumblers for it too.

With fresh frozen you preserve certain terpenes that would otherwise have evaporated ( the most volatile ones "burst" at a very low temp )

Other than that there is no real advantage, i even know some who prefer the dried/cured over fresh

Alexis

I have a new theory too. We have only ever grown from seed, but we’ve never failed to get multiple different phenotypes within same strains, 2 or 3 from 2-4 plants as standard, as a ratio.

Now, I always considered the actual seed to contain the phenotype. But now Im considering it may be the soul or life and character, that enters and comes to life through that portal at that specific moment.

So, with a time machine being the only way to check, in theory, the same seed could be a different phenotype depending on exactly when it is germinated.

It’s an idea that occurred to me this summer after observing a particular phenotype in the only two seeds started a bit later in May.

It was maybe a coincidence, or the Lunar/astrological/Calendar/Climate influence encouraged the specific phenotype.

I feel it’s worthy of consideration.

Farid

I don't want to diverge from the topic too much, but the fresh vs cured for bubble hash debate is something that has been a hot topic among hash makers. The big difference is the terpenes are different. I prefer the cured flavor but some like the fresh more. Purely preference.

Both can produce great hash but require different techniques. Most importantly, when using dry cured buds you need to allow the buds to soak and rehydrate for several minutes before mixing. If you mix before the buds fully hydrate they can break apart, which is something you want to avoid if you want a pure end product.

This was a big point of discussion when I went to Frenchy's class. RIP to a legend.

C No Ego

@EverythingsHazy
I believe this was the thread about moisture
quote post from switch thread re posted back to this one
"
the cure requires the level of moisture to reach around 5% ... outer surface dries first then works/reaches into the center . when the center reaches around 5% moisture content that moisture then expands back out to the entirety of the bud structure , hence a full cure . people then RH condition it with boveda packs or whatever but the best cure is to get it at that 5% moisture level . that is a longer slower cure taking one to 3 months to reach that level in some cases... can be quickened at around three weeks but not as much ferment going on in that case ...
did we switch threads , I am confused how my post ended up in this one ... "

@GoldenBud
honestly not sure on that one just know that the hay smell is real and equates to to new weed ( just picked or not cured at all ) or to much chlorophyll . back when Vegan I tried chlorophyll tincture and that basically tasted like ASS GRASS ...

C No Ego,
Reactions: arb

C No Ego

unable to edit last post .... I meant to say drying it to get to a 5% moisture content in the center then the long cure where that remaining 5 or 10% moisture content makes its way back out through the entirety of the flower LOL....

C No Ego,
Reactions: howie105

MontyKrushto

Yes it’s simply a totally nonsensical concept. It’s anti science. If you want to do things the better way all round, instead of eating raw basmati rice, do as has always been, and simply cook it.

I can’t think of any real advantage to purposely, through choice, vaping fresh picked bud.

I’ve just harvested 80% of this summer’s run today. Ive been vaping bits we took off a while ago.

Ive much experience at sampling tidbits. Too moist I won’t bother. It’s so high in chlorophyll still it’s just scratchy on the throat and a bit irritating to the airways.

Let alone straight from twig.

About 3 days it’s vapeable, 5 better. It makes all the difference.

A two week cure adds a lot more and a 3 month cure is ace.
"A two week cure adds a lot more and a 3 month cure is ace." >>>> I have to second this. Patience goes a long way.

Mountainbliss

I have a new theory too. We have only ever grown from seed, but we’ve never failed to get multiple different phenotypes within same strains, 2 or 3 from 2-4 plants as standard, as a ratio.

Now, I always considered the actual seed to contain the phenotype. But now Im considering it may be the soul or life and character, that enters and comes to life through that portal at that specific moment.

So, with a time machine being the only way to check, in theory, the same seed could be a different phenotype depending on exactly when it is germinated.

It’s an idea that occurred to me this summer after observing a particular phenotype in the only two seeds started a bit later in May.

It was maybe a coincidence, or the Lunar/astrological/Calendar/Climate influence encouraged the specific phenotype.

I feel it’s worthy of consideration.
I hope not to go out-topic, but I strongly agree with you. My theory is that humidity and temperature plays a crucial role in the phenotype development. My environment is cold and humid at night and it seems to directly influence the percentage of NLD phenos.

I've grown some F4-F5 seeds that were quit inbred towards the WLD side of the hybrid and, more than often, I see a NLD recesive pheno pops up. Temperature fluctuations? Air umidity? Moon Phases? Astral influences? Further researches are needed :sherlock:

Back on track: both partially dried and wet enflorescences aren't my cup of tea. Beside the strong meadow, watery taste, the effects tend to be quite jittery, even a bit disorientating, a feeling I tend to associate more with guzzling alcohol. Another important point, as mentioned a couple posts above, is that both cannabinoids and terpenes are stille evolving, hence the total taste and smell profile as well as the effects shifting continuously. I can understand the curiosity for new, untried genetics, but, as far as I've had the chance to observe, the whole transformation during the first three months of curing is such an unforeseeable process that trying to draw conclusions before the end of the drying process, we may end up getting hold of the wrong end of the stick. Now, vaping fresh samples out of desperation, we've all been there :brow:

Top Bottom