• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Vaping FRESH cannabis?

ChippyMalone

Be here now.
Accessory Maker
I don't think I've ever heard of this, although I know people make wax and dry ice hash with fresh buds.

Had anybody had the chance to try vaping this way? Since we are not combusting, some of the curing processes for creating smooth smokeable might not be completely necessary for our needs.

Anyway, it's 4/20 and I was able to get my hands on a little fresh bud that had been harvested earlier this morning.

E-Nano turned up to 11, and just vaping off the exterior trichomes, leaving AVB that looks much like dried/cured cannabis.

I can say that it definitely does work, and works quite well to produce a complex effect that is a little different than anything I've experienced.

Perhaps this is a way to boost terpenes by not letting them evaporate away over the several weeks it takes to cure.

I'm definitely a special kind of high right now, and I like it. I'm going to have to figure out a way to keep a little freshly frozen bud around here.

Derrrpp

For the world is hollow and I have touched the sky
Hmm, never thought of that... (Not that I could get my hands on freshly harvested bud anyway :lol:) But it's definitely an intriguing thought! I'm interested to hear what others have to say about this.

How's the taste? On the one hand, I would think it has the potential to produce some pretty tasty vapor (what with the terpenes being fresh and all)... But on the other hand I thought that properly curing the flowers was supposed to improve the flavor... :shrug:

Glad to hear that you're getting your 4/20 started off on the right track though! All in the name of science, right? ;) :science:

Rab

Did it with a few mediocre lowryders once, years ago. You obviously don't get all of the goodies that you normally would and the taste is a lot more chlorophylley, almost like breathing in grassy green aerosol, but not as unpleasant as it sounds, really fresh and green, and sweet.
The high was heady and dissipated a lot quicker, but it was definitely there, and enjoyable
It takes much longer to vape and a while to properly get going obv

I would love to try it with some high grade grown bud. Definitely a small advantage a grower with a vape would have over a non vaper when they get the torment of "popcorn picking", before harvest time. At least they can use the nugs right away and pleasantly vape them, instead of quickdrying them, and making them even nastier to smoke. (don't dooo it)

ChippyMalone

Be here now.
Accessory Maker
@Derrrpp the initial taste when very fresh was pleasant, or at least a novelty. But there's a strong grassy taste to the living cells as you murder them that is either pleasantries salad greens or a turnoff.

I think sugar leaves worked better with less water to deal with.

Later, ran some through my grinder and the resulting green paste was not pleasant.

@robbie thanks for your description of the heady, short lived high, as that was exactly what I felt. It was very "complex" is all I can really describe it as, and I suspect that is due to the lack of THC degradation products like CBN and the full terpene profile present.

I think I'd probably rather make fresh frozen dry ice hash than vape it raw, but it's always fun to try something.

Last edited:

Been Vapin

Fringe Class
I used to take material right off the plant and put a whole nug in Volcano at 1 or 2 setting. Run for a minute or two. Flip the nug. Run another minute or two. This evaporates alot of the water and helps with the watery grassy tastes. Crumble bud, turn up to 6.5 and get some huge clouds.

Basically the Volcano is an amazing tool for quick drying and vaping.

ChippyMalone

Be here now.
Accessory Maker
Basically the Volcano is an amazing tool for quick drying and vaping.

You just inspired me, as there is no volcano here but an actual one outside my window, but do have an E-Nano. I could load a GonG, place it on my waterpipe, and then set the E-Nano on top and just let it warm up the chamber and dry the nug for a minute or two.

But that's a task for the next time I come across a fresh bud like this.

I guess I just love trying new things, even things that I know probably aren't the best way but hold the opportunity for a learning experience. I think I definitely learned something about what THC is like when there is very little CBN or other degradation products. If what I experienced was a more pure THC high with some synergistic effects of the full terpene profile, then I learned something about how these molecules work inside my body.

herbivore21

I don't think I've ever heard of this, although I know people make wax and dry ice hash with fresh buds.

Had anybody had the chance to try vaping this way? Since we are not combusting, some of the curing processes for creating smooth smokeable might not be completely necessary for our needs.

Anyway, it's 4/20 and I was able to get my hands on a little fresh bud that had been harvested earlier this morning.

E-Nano turned up to 11, and just vaping off the exterior trichomes, leaving AVB that looks much like dried/cured cannabis.

I can say that it definitely does work, and works quite well to produce a complex effect that is a little different than anything I've experienced.

Perhaps this is a way to boost terpenes by not letting them evaporate away over the several weeks it takes to cure.

I'm definitely a special kind of high right now, and I like it. I'm going to have to figure out a way to keep a little freshly frozen bud around here.
YES! I've been doing this lately and loving it brother! Fresh buds are great for vaping, so long as you don't store them in that state long term (remember that moisture is gonna give you dramas, but you know that just as well/better than I do :) )

My idea is that there are a fuckton of terps on the plant that rapidly degrade both before and after harvest. The quicker we get to the buds for their beautiful resin, the more of these extra terps we reap.

This being said, I use my Mighty for this purpose and I do find that because of the extra moisture, the first 2 hits are basically a non-starter. Then the 3rd one is whitewall!

Happy 4/20 by the way brother! Hope it has been a great one!

ChippyMalone

Be here now.
Accessory Maker
@herbivore21 That's awesome to hear that we've got the same thoughts about the fresh terps.

Makes me think that fresh/frozen dry ice hash is probably the best compromise between long term stable storage and quick fresh harvest that eliminates the grassy taste in the final product.

herbivore21

@herbivore21 That's awesome to hear that we've got the same thoughts about the fresh terps.

Makes me think that fresh/frozen dry ice hash is probably the best compromise between long term stable storage and quick fresh harvest that eliminates the grassy taste in the final product.
Definitely my friend, the second I read your post I knew we were on the same wavelength. I wonder though whether we could freeze our solvent extracted oils in airtight glass jars to get the same protection from degradation too?

I find that solvent based extracts from fresh material is similarly outstanding, as many have found through the discovery of live resin. It would be nice to be able to store this longterm without the inevitable degradation. As a medical user, I like to be able to store my meds long term since I do not think it is responsible for me to buy my meds on a week to week basis - that's how one runs out and can't medicate symptoms when they need to!

Just had a nice fresh bud bowl of some cluster bomb x critical mass in my mighty at 185c through my luke wilson rig. Was scrumptious!

ChippyMalone

Be here now.
Accessory Maker
@herbivore21 One of the things that made me consider this was some recent thoughts about how as "vaporists" we are still preparing our cannabis as if it is going to be smoked all the way up until the point that we don't actually combust it.

It just made me wonder if, for medical use and for vaping, there might be a better way than what we've done forever.

This is the kind of day on FC that I really love. I made this thread knowing that it could be embarrassing if someone had to set me straight on some misconception of mine. And even though it's in a more obscure forum and has few views, the content in every post is outstanding and valuable information you just don't find anywhere else.

People like us with a selection of high end artisan crafted vaping gear and access to th e highest quality cannabis in any form are the 1% of the 1% of the 1% of cannabis users (and I might be generous with that estimate). And I don't say that as something to brag about, but to remind us that we are doing things and breaking new ground here that the world won't be ready to discover for years, and when that time comes for them, we will be the pioneers who created the paradigm shift from harmful combustion to safer and higher quality vaping. What we are doing here at FC, learning how to use cannabis better in order to help ourselves take care of our bodies (for us medical patients ,anyway) is really important stuff that is going to have a positive impact on the lives of millions (billions) of people for the rest of time.

I know that comes off as a bit grandiose, but it really is true. Vaping is still in its infancy, and the majority of people don't even know that anything exists other than disposable pen shaped e-juice vaporizers from China. We can get high and make a positive impact on our world at the same time, and I think that's pretty cool.

Enchantre

Oil Painter
I vaped a little fresh Frannie when we grew her, just to see if she had good taste... it was very grassy, but the flavor profile was great! A bit harsh, too... but I hit it at lower temp, about 6.5 on the ENano dial. So, probably more moisture throughout.

One of my favored providers, The Oil Company, does live resin too. It's very nice. I think I'm just as happy with a well-done wax, however, done the usual way. All their stuff is very terpene-ish, so the difference isn't so striking.

I've thought about dabbing the ooze off the buds...

ChippyMalone

Be here now.
Accessory Maker
I vaped a little fresh Frannie when we grew her, just to see if she had good taste... it was very grassy, but the flavor profile was great! A bit harsh, too... but I hit it at lower temp, about 6.5 on the ENano dial. So, probably more moisture throughout.

One of my favored providers, The Oil Company, does live resin too. It's very nice. I think I'm just as happy with a well-done wax, however, done the usual way. All their stuff is very terpene-ish, so the difference isn't so striking.

I've thought about dabbing the ooze off the buds...
Run an xacto blade across sugar leaves and collect a bit of hash! Great idea

reminds me of a story I've heard, which may just be myth, if sending naked children to play in Jamaican ganja fields and then scraping the hash from their bodies at the end of the day.

bencrvr

So cool, been pulling popcorn buds off my tiny plant the past few days (first one ever, given to me small and already in the initial stages of flowering) and popping them in my vape. Googled "vape fresh bud" as I vaped fresh bud and found this thread. I confirm all the stuff you guys said. Fresh grassy pleasant steam at first, subtle terps, then it vapes for real to an intense, complicated, positive, short-lived high. I've had weed from this phenotype of Aca Pulco in various ways (smoke, vape, BHO) and when harvested with clear and amber trichomes, so I know how it effects me. This high is noticeably more positive than all the other ways, I feel joyful appreciation where it often brings in a jagged edge of anxiety, even when mellowed out by aging to amber and getting more CBD. Wondering if it's the terps like herbivore21 said. Really makes me want to try live resin, finally almost legal to grow here in VT, though nothing about stores and such. But I don't care, just glad to finally be able to grow my own without getting paranoid, or at least less paranoid. Vaping helps that so much, fuck combustion indeed

C No Ego

So cool, been pulling popcorn buds off my tiny plant the past few days (first one ever, given to me small and already in the initial stages of flowering) and popping them in my vape. Googled "vape fresh bud" as I vaped fresh bud and found this thread. I confirm all the stuff you guys said. Fresh grassy pleasant steam at first, subtle terps, then it vapes for real to an intense, complicated, positive, short-lived high. I've had weed from this phenotype of Aca Pulco in various ways (smoke, vape, BHO) and when harvested with clear and amber trichomes, so I know how it effects me. This high is noticeably more positive than all the other ways, I feel joyful appreciation where it often brings in a jagged edge of anxiety, even when mellowed out by aging to amber and getting more CBD. Wondering if it's the terps like herbivore21 said. Really makes me want to try live resin, finally almost legal to grow here in VT, though nothing about stores and such. But I don't care, just glad to finally be able to grow my own without getting paranoid, or at least less paranoid. Vaping helps that so much, fuck combustion indeed
the only thing though- curing cannabis ( at least 14 days) ferments the sugars into acetyl alcohol... this brings out ammonia as well that accents the terp profiles and makes it way less harsh... vaping sugars is harsh

kinabee

Although not fresh per-say, I've had the opportunity to try cryo-cured cannabis flower. The grower states that the process only takes two days compared to standard curing methods. This bud is some of the most beautiful and vibrant I've seen, but flavor and fragrance is subtle/lacking. It is airy and almost disintegrates when ground finely. It is not great for vaping alone, but when paired with a syringe of same-strain rosin to hydrate it is lovely as the bud thoroughly soaks it up.

kinabee,

looney2nz

Research Geek, Mad Scientist
Although not fresh per-say, I've had the opportunity to try cryo-cured cannabis flower. The grower states that the process only takes two days compared to standard curing methods. This bud is some of the most beautiful and vibrant I've seen, but flavor and fragrance is subtle/lacking. It is airy and almost disintegrates when ground finely. It is not great for vaping alone, but when paired with a syringe of same-strain rosin to hydrate it is lovely as the bud thoroughly soaks it up.

Could you elaborate a bit please?

How does this cryo-curing process work? Why would it lose flavor and voc's?

For those that are freezing fresh buds, are you using liquid nitrogen to flash freeze them like they do for live resin? Needs to be in a vented environment, or the nitrogen can build up and <gasp!>.

looney2nz,

kinabee

Could you elaborate a bit please?

How does this cryo-curing process work? Why would it lose flavor and voc's?

For those that are freezing fresh buds, are you using liquid nitrogen to flash freeze them like they do for live resin? Needs to be in a vented environment, or the nitrogen can build up and <gasp!>.

I would not know, I am but a lowly consumer in the beautiful free market that is legalized cannabis.

looney2nz

Research Geek, Mad Scientist
ok, so I didn't find any mention of Cryo-curing on their website.
I'll reach out and see what they can tell me.

As far as I can see, it is an indoor, aeroponically grown harvest there, and they claim it is environmentally controlled enough to prevent the use of pesticides and fungicides. I think they grow 5 varieties.
They appear to have their own in-house lab, and I like the Terpene Fingerprint method they use.

They don't use machine trimmers, they air dry slowly, and then place the product in humidity controlled Mason jars (the recommended method) for delivery to patients/clients.

I'm still not 100% sold on hydroponics, or aeroponics... there is much to be said for a good living soil.

CodaDog

Well, "no time like the present"... I have before me a Vapir "Model.#2" vaporizer and a snipping of 5 minute old Purple Buddah (BC Bud Depot hybrid, combining the best of both parents, the 2007 & 2009 Cannabis Cup winning 'The Purps' with the tastes of the 'Blue Buddha'. The Purple Buddha combines the grape flavors of The Purps with the creamy blueberry tastes of the Blue Buddha).

This plant is showing light, creamy-colored trichomes, and is in the midst of it's 'flushing' process, getting ready to harvest next week. I took this snipping while the plant was 'sleeping' in it's darkness phase of a 12/12 cycle. This plant has never seen herbicides, pesticides, fungicides etc., and is thus, about as "organic" as I can grow. Given all of this, I cannot say how the following description will play out with other plants in other stages of life.

Set at 184 degrees Celsius (362F), the first taste is quite warm, care of the moisture carried vapor I suspect, and the flavor is - "Yum", tastes like my fingertips smell :-) The second, long, slow haul... still hotter than dry herb, but without any harshness - and dig that yummy berry taste (!) The third haul is showing more visually obvious "vapor" and still isn't harsh at all... a bit of a 'high' coming on... Fourth haul; a little cooler than the first three, which I ascribe to some of the water content in the herb now missing. Inhalation and exhalation is still smoother than dried herb.

And the Buzz? Yup. You can definitely get buzzed wet-vaping...

Maybe we should rename this to "Live Vaping" one's herb :-) This is nice. A very mellow buzz. I'm going to go lay on some music, sip a bit of rosé and return to writing an article for a local outdoor magazine...

Just droppin' in from Canada - where we are going FULLY LEGAL in 10 days !!! Ya' Baby!

Coda

Diggy Smalls

Notorious
When I was living with a grower we tried it cause we didn't want to wait. Tasted really grassy, took longer to vape, didn't seem as potent, but it technically works.

Diggy Smalls,

Grey hair

Flop shot guru
Well, "no time like the present"... I have before me a Vapir "Model.#2" vaporizer and a snipping of 5 minute old Purple Buddah (BC Bud Depot hybrid, combining the best of both parents, the 2007 & 2009 Cannabis Cup winning 'The Purps' with the tastes of the 'Blue Buddha'. The Purple Buddha combines the grape flavors of The Purps with the creamy blueberry tastes of the Blue Buddha).

This plant is showing light, creamy-colored trichomes, and is in the midst of it's 'flushing' process, getting ready to harvest next week. I took this snipping while the plant was 'sleeping' in it's darkness phase of a 12/12 cycle. This plant has never seen herbicides, pesticides, fungicides etc., and is thus, about as "organic" as I can grow. Given all of this, I cannot say how the following description will play out with other plants in other stages of life.

Set at 184 degrees Celsius (362F), the first taste is quite warm, care of the moisture carried vapor I suspect, and the flavor is - "Yum", tastes like my fingertips smell :-) The second, long, slow haul... still hotter than dry herb, but without any harshness - and dig that yummy berry taste (!) The third haul is showing more visually obvious "vapor" and still isn't harsh at all... a bit of a 'high' coming on... Fourth haul; a little cooler than the first three, which I ascribe to some of the water content in the herb now missing. Inhalation and exhalation is still smoother than dried herb.

And the Buzz? Yup. You can definitely get buzzed wet-vaping...

Maybe we should rename this to "Live Vaping" one's herb :-) This is nice. A very mellow buzz. I'm going to go lay on some music, sip a bit of rosé and return to writing an article for a local outdoor magazine...

Just droppin' in from Canada - where we are going FULLY LEGAL in 10 days !!! Ya' Baby!

Coda
Welcome Cody. Enjoy the forum.I've found a ton of resource on this site.Some knowledgeable members. I've thoroughly enjoyed the space. And yes, we're just around the corner from a great day in history. Bring it.:rockon:

SillyHerbaloski

expert brain baker
This is a really intriguing prospect. I've never even thought of it before. Previously, I have taken fresh buds and attempted a number of instant drying techniques (none of which worked well at all), one of which incorporated the use of an oven and the other a microwave. Those were terrible ideas. This seems like a better one. I'm kind of befuddled by the fact that I never thought of this. Can't help but wonder if it's in some way better. I'll have to give this a try when I get a chance. I'm curious how it's going to pan out lol.

SillyHerbaloski,

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
I don't know how you are avoiding that awful chlorophyll taste. I've tried just picked, and wouldn't do it again. You are welcome to keep this delicacy. I'm sticking to cured. The first of this year's crop finally hit three weeks cured, and the chlorophyll taste is gone. I'm glad someone enjoys fresh picked, and I'm fine with it not being me.

C No Ego

I don't know how you are avoiding that awful chlorophyll taste. I've tried just picked, and wouldn't do it again. You are welcome to keep this delicacy. I'm sticking to cured. The first of this year's crop finally hit three weeks cured, and the chlorophyll taste is gone. I'm glad someone enjoys fresh picked, and I'm fine with it not being me.
I've had fresh that did not have the gassy ass flavor... it was grown to maturity on the plant and had developed some aroma profile already

C No Ego,

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
I've had fresh that did not have the gassy ass flavor... it was grown to maturity on the plant and had developed some aroma profile already
Mine was grown to maturity on the plants. Sampled every type before and during curing. This is what led me to try water curing on one of the last to harvest. It's fine that it doesn't work for me. Glad it works for others.

Top Bottom