• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Vaping: Flowers vs Concentrates

Best for Vaping: Flowers or Concentrates?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Straylightfire

Hello all! New to the forum but after poking around for an hour or two I couldn't seem to get a consensus on a question I had: namely, which is best for vaping, flowers or concentrates?

I'm currently in the market for a portable vaporizer in the $150 USD range and after browsing the forums I see it's generally agreed that most vapes on the market are either good for flowers or concentrates, but rarely both at my price range (http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/choosing-a-portable-would-really-appreciate-the-help.9597/).

This being the case, I think it would be a good time to discuss which one is really the best for vaping. My main concern is which will be used up quicker in a vape as the main purpose for me getting one is to utilize what I have to it's maximum potential; I recognize this is probably variable to which one is being used and how good a person is at using it, but I'm assuming if you've vaped either for long enough, you can give me an answer (even if the answer is that there is no noticeable difference).

As I do notice a significant difference in effect between flowers and concentrates, I am currently leaning towards the latter. I have equal access to both, hence the inquiry.

Straylightfire,

hoptimum

Hello all! New to the forum but after poking around for an hour or two I couldn't seem to get a consensus on a question I had: namely, which is best for vaping, flowers or concentrates?

I'm currently in the market for a portable vaporizer in the $150 USD range and after browsing the forums I see it's generally agreed that most vapes on the market are either good for flowers or concentrates, but rarely both at my price range (http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/choosing-a-portable-would-really-appreciate-the-help.9597/).

This being the case, I think it would be a good time to discuss which one is really the best for vaping. My main concern is which will be used up quicker in a vape as the main purpose for me getting one is to utilize what I have to it's maximum potential; I recognize this is probably variable to which one is being used and how good a person is at using it, but I'm assuming if you've vaped either for long enough, you can give me an answer (even if the answer is that there is no noticeable difference).

As I do notice a significant difference in effect between flowers and concentrates, I am currently leaning towards the latter. I have equal access to both, hence the inquiry.

I have more experience with flowers, but IMO vapes that do flowers conserve flowers better than vapes that do concentrates conserve concentrates.

farscaper

I cant vote cause I say both as well, I like to take regular breaks from concentrates so I dont build a mile high tolerance (pun intended lol) sometime I even vape both at the same time!, but thats why I have an eye for the upcoming ascent... Its a two-fur does oils and flowers.

z9

I know you arent hearing the answers you want. It just isnt that black and white for most of us. I prefer to dab my oils and vape my flowers.

I haven't used any really high quality oil vapes so I can't comment on efficiency. Dropping dabs is just too much fun to put the oil through a vape and its so much easier for me to dose that way, especially on a dental pick shaped dabber. Occasionally I'll top my bowls with a concentrate, but its just too inefficient for me to do regularly.

Doing both keeps the high fresh and prevents me from getting too burnt out on one form of ingestion. Primarily using concentrates will make your body build a tolerance faster than primarily vaporizing flowers. I try to limit myself to vaping one bowl and doing one dab a day, I might vape more than one bowl but never overdo it with concentrates. I've been doing this for months and haven't had a noticeable change in my tolerance.

max

Out to lunch
I think it would be a good time to discuss which one is really the best for vaping.
'best' has qualifiers in this case. Neither is best in all respects. If stretching your supply is your goal then the unaltered plant is your best bet unless you're getting a better deal on concentrates vs. herb. Using concentrates, just like using a big hitting vape, will encourage you to use more. It's mostly a psychological factor, but very real.

mistadontplay

so which portable vape pens can you use flowers in? I keep hearing you can use flowers in truppy sticks and atmos since that what the sites say and reviews say other s say they just combust and your essentially smoking rather than vaping. any help would be appreciated this is my first post here

mod note: This isn't the thread topic. Don't hijack.

mistadontplay,

djonkoman

I would say that between hash and weed(I never had oil), weed would be better in the sense of convenience. hash especially gunks up screens quickly. but for conserving hash is better, since for the same amount of money, hash lasts me longer. but that's also because hash is just cheaper(the hashes I usually buy are lower in price per gram than the strains of weed I usually choose)
and some tastes and effects you just can only get from hash(mostly the imported), so it works well enough with hash to just vape both, when I feel like. just finished some hash actually, but this is very crumbly hash that easily falls into kief, and so barely gunks up the screen.

djonkoman,

TheCrusher

Analog Man / Digital World
I vape concentrates in my Pax all the time, it's outstanding. I dab some oil on the side of the oven and smoke it for a couple of hits, turning the Pax to sort of distribute the melting oil. After I let it cool, I load it with bud and vape that to clean up any residual oils*

* Good excuse for another bowl, right?

lost nebula

Always Vaping
I chose flowers because I don't particularly like vaping concentrates as is in a vape. I prefer to flash vape (dab) my oils and bubble hash. I find vaped concentrates dont taste as good compared to dabbing. Vaping flowers feels just right but with concentrates it feels like a degraded experience to make it more convenient.

Kase-1

The arizer solo was the best 150 spent. Go on puffitup.com and enter the code on the main page . Its the best portsble vapr out there

mod note: The thread topic isn't which vape to buy.

Kase-1,
Reactions: hoptimum

Olympus Mons

Probation Officer
Have to agree that vaping concentrates alone leaves me with a somewhat incomplete head, like the mate lost nebulad said. I like to dine where Tweek is dining, where they serve The Works. A Volcano packed with a bud of Tahoe OG drizzled with honey oil and topped with a sprinkle of Red Congolese bubble hash should be on the menu everywhere. I mean, that can change your life!

Sometime there comes a point when I wonder what the fuck I am doing with all these heavy-metal batteries and all this Star Trek technology, when all I really wanted to do in the first place, to quote Towelie, is "get a little high." So yeah, sometimes I just smoke an oil joint. Then the whole vaping thing seems right and becomes fun again, and I spiral onwards.

Have not met anyone here like this, but I do personally hate the Smoke Nazis. Where I live in crazy-liberal California, there are a ton of them. Ragging on those who smoke for ruining "their" air and all that bullshit - but they DRIVE around with cell phones and i-books with chips made in Asia where the poisons from manufacturing spill out into the environment and poison the people, just so they can sell these crappy little cell phones for ten bucks a pop. Sure, that's the cost, if you can ignore a few thousand mutant Asian children. They don't fight that cause because it is too hard, but they'll get in a smoker's face because it is easy, and that makes them assholes and idiot hypocrites. Usually when I politely and reasonably explain all this to them, they stand there with their mouth hanging open as the wind whistles through their head.

Hexi

I sprinkle bubble hash/kief mix on my grinds. So both I guess. It can be tricky to moderate the amount of bubble vs. flower

Olympus Mons

Probation Officer
I sprinkle bubble hash/kief mix on my grinds. So both I guess. It can be tricky to moderate the amount of bubble vs. flower

Moving more toward kief and bubbles myself, cheaper, often fresher it seems, more natural. Easy to sprinkle, less messy than oil. Oil really pisses me off when it gets all over my fingers and everything else, and rubbing alcohol is the only thing that gets rid of it. Mmmmm ... bubble hash ... I feel a trip to my dispensary coming on, maybe this time skip the waxes that some manufacturers seem to have pulled right out of their ass.

Hexi

CO2 taffy is currently the strongest concentrate I have. LIke 70%, but sativa dom so it's messing my head up. I feel like a goof when my GF can make me giggle and smile uncontrollably.

Bouldorado

From a logical standpoint, concentrates [full melt] are better for vaping due to their physical state (closer to a liquid, more pure). Oil vapes also don't require the temperature precision of flower vapes; for example the vape range of flowers is ~350-400F, whereas oil is ~400+. When you get much above 400F or so, you risk combustion of flowers. Oil can still combust, but the taste difference between smoke and vapor is not as black and white as it is with flowers.

Bouldorado,

theCerberus

Oil can still combust, but the taste difference between smoke and vapor is not as black and white as it is with flowers.
I strongly disagree, burnt anything tastes and smells like ash/burning, oil or flower, its not hard to tell imo.

theCerberus,
Reactions: Hexi

luchiano

From a logical standpoint, concentrates [full melt] are better for vaping due to their physical state (closer to a liquid, more pure). Oil vapes also don't require the temperature precision of flower vapes; for example the vape range of flowers is ~350-400F, whereas oil is ~400+. When you get much above 400F or so, you risk combustion of flowers. Oil can still combust, but the taste difference between smoke and vapor is not as black and white as it is with flowers.

Vaping oil or flower are nearly the same when done right. The only difference is with oil you need a higher temperature then most vaporizers go to release all of that beta-caryophellene since it vapes over 500f. You can still get it buy either smoking what's left over on the screen or just putting the screen in some alcohol to dissolve the beta-caryophellene and get into your system that way.

The thing is when people use oil/fullmelt hash, they tend to leave it in one big lump, and when you do this you need a high temperature, since it will stay cooler longer from being so dense. You want to use very little, and separate it just like you do flowers. It spreads out when melted so you have to know how much to use, whereas with flowers it stays the same when heated pretty much but it's still best to spread it out, and use less then usual, if you have some sticky icky.

People tend to think concentrates are better since they see no ash but, this isn't true because the oils that give flavor boil at a much lower temperature then people use when dabbing or vaping oil so they are burning those oils. It's just that instead of being seen on the screen/nail, it's in their body. In my opinion smoking flower is better then oil for your health in the long run IF you smoke a lot but, if you smoke once a day, and you are not sedentary, oils/hash isn't that bad, although it isn't as good as ingestion or vaping the oil with starting low temperatures( as low as 160f) and raising the temperature in increments of 5f-10f until you reach the highest point of your vaporizer. This way you burn no oils, and you get more into your system which means a much more powerful high(the actual effect of the cannabis, not the adrenaline rush in the beginning of your inhale) then dabbing or smoking.

Last edited:

Hexi

Surface area is what we are talking about, not logic. Hence the cotton for oil etc...

I dont vape my concentrates @ any higher temp than I do flowers. THC and CBDs get vaped.

Hexi,

luchiano

Surface area is what we are talking about, not logic. Hence the cotton for oil etc...

I dont vape my concentrates @ any higher temp than I do flowers. THC and CBDs get vaped.
The cotton eventually "gums" up from the oil being heavier then the cotton, so it's not the best way since the surface area is back where you started. You will still have a lot of actives that can be vaped. Also, beta-carophyllene is one reason people like indicas for pain or relaxation as some of them are high in it.

luchiano,

Bouldorado

I strongly disagree, burnt anything tastes and smells like ash/burning, oil or flower, its not hard to tell imo.

Ok maybe I phrased that poorly. The way many people consume oil (dabbing) has an inconsistent heat source so the inhaled product lies somewhere on a spectrum of [vapor <-------> smoke].

Bouldorado,

Hexi

Went with pure flowers last night as it will be one of the last times my OG DaVinci sees flowers, had to give it a good send off. I had some pure blue dream, no concentrates. Very mild, smooth taste indeed.

When I do the taffy (need to get some more, down to my last .8gs) my GF usually comments that my T-shirt 'smells a little sweet'.

Mixing will still get a lot of run in the incoming Solo, but the DV will be pure concentrates now.

Hexi,
Top Bottom