Vaping at max temperature still healther then smoking or no?

Triple S

I have a volcano vaporizer and was wondering if I vape my weed on max temperature would it still be healthier then smoking or not? The reason I want max is because I want a nice body buzz and I want to get high faster because usually when I vape lower it takes like 3 bags to get a good enough high.

Triple S,

PhishCactus

Lvl. 420 Vaporist
I mean, if it's on max temp, its possible your combusting, and then it would be partially as damaging, but seeing as you probably wouldn't reach full on red/orange glowing combustion which would result in complete release of all carcinogens, which im guessing your not near, then it is much more healthy that smoking, you'll be able to tell if you go to high because it will taste like utter shit and not like sweet weed but burnt popcorn.

PhishCactus,

Triple S

PhishCactus said:
I mean, if it's on max temp, its possible your combusting, and then it would be partially as damaging, but seeing as you probably wouldn't reach full on red/orange glowing combustion which would result in complete release of all carcinogens, which im guessing your not near, then it is much more healthy that smoking, you'll be able to tell if you go to high because it will taste like utter shit and not like sweet weed but burnt popcorn.

usually when I put it on max temperature it taste like crap but the weed does not turn black.

Triple S,

PhishCactus

Lvl. 420 Vaporist
well then it's hard to tell, black would indicate combustion, but combustion like taste/smell would also indicate the same, unless you can provide temps. and pictures that correlate, it would be hard for us to tell, although you can be safe, and assume that the higher you go the more damage your doing, which is true, although you can probably be sure of the fact that it's no where near that of combusting. Most users on here are satisfied with normal vaping temps, its more pleasant, and doesn't smell or cause congestion or coughing, why is it you must turn it up so high.

PhishCactus,

Triple S

like I said I like to get very high fast and want a nice body buzz as-well. When I vape lower it takes me a couple of bags to get high and it's all head. When I vape around max (around 439 FH) I get high way faster and get both body buzz and head high.

Triple S,

Nycdeisel

439 F is WAY too high, turn that down. dont go much past 400, if anything.

thats usually the way bags are though, you need to fill it a lot becuse there is such a high air to vapor ratio, unlike other types of vaporizers which may provide more concentrated vapor with a higher vapor to air ratio.

either way, you can still release toxins way before you 'fully' combust in a vaporizer.

You may want to also try to acquire strains higher in CBD.

Nycdeisel,

Triple S

higher on CBD are Indicas right? Also I guess anything over 400 FH would make it no point of vaporizing.

Triple S,

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
Triple S said:
higher on CBD are Indicas right? Also I guess anything over 400 FH would make it no point of vaporizing.

yes, high cbd and cbn % often indicate indicas

as for the whole above 400fh/sub combustion range...even though it isnt as healthy as lower temps, there are some therapeutic and pain relieving effects to be had in that range...there are some fellow med. patients here like myself, who get significant bennefits from the higher temps, despite the un-wanted near combustion bi products produced.

Purpl3_Haz3,

Triple S

Purpl3_Haz3 said:
Triple S said:

as for the whole above 400fh/sub combustion range...even though it isnt as healthy as lower temps, there are some therapeutic and pain relieving effects to be had in that range...there are some fellow med. patients here like myself, who get significant bennefits from the higher temps, despite the un-wanted near combustion bi products produced.

Do you think when you put it on very high temp it is still healthier then smoking?

Triple S,

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
Triple S said:
Purpl3_Haz3 said:
Triple S said:

Do you think when you put it on very high temp it is still healthier then smoking?

I would say this, The benefits far out-weigh the negatives. IMO I feel it is much healthier, even in the upper temps, but for others, it may not be. The other thing to factor in, is what you consider high temps. I have come to understand that the range of sub combustion, that most consider high temps, is very finicky. It takes trial and error to get close to combusting, without getting a bad taste, charred herbs, etc. My abv is still golden brown, and potent enough for small batch edibles, but I still occasionally get abv that I feel has been almost completely spent. that being said, my "very high temps" are 230C on my EQ. I find that at this temp, using the whip (through water or dry) produces fast acting, thick hits. I can place 0.1 or less in the elbow, and get 5-6 decent hits of nice dense vapor, that seems to be almost instantly effective.

Purpl3_Haz3,

steiner666

Serial vapist
Of course it will be healthier to vape. The abv thats left over is what you just saved your lungs from having to inhale, which is a lot better for you than inhaling everything but a few little ashes

steiner666,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
As far as I know, you cannot reach combustion temperatures with a Volcano. I seem to recall that being one of their selling points. A point of interest here: black duff doesn't mean combustion, in fact it usually means no combustion. Combustion leaves ash, which is grey not black. Combustion has an unmistakable taste as well.

The question really is whether high temperature vaping is safe. Higher temperature vaping (beyond 400F) has been implicated in releasing benzenes. You should read the entire thread called Vaporization temperature dependent selection of effects and decide for yourself.

pakalolo,
415 if I recall right is the highest temp to release both cannabanoid A and B. Biomass is just to0 expensive to not use it :rolleyes:

biojuggernaut,

TwztedVaper

Boom Shankar
Blackening definitely indicates the starting of combustion though. You definitely don't want any black in your ABV.

TwztedVaper,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
TwztedElegance said:
Blackening definitely indicates the starting of combustion though. You definitely don't want any black in your ABV.

Yes, it indicates you've come close and it is definitely undesirable. Tastes horrible as well.

pakalolo,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
Ok here's a real simple explanation of why it is less harmful than smoking even if you use higher temperatures;

Weigh a joint before you smoke it. That mass, more or less (less actually) goes into your body. Weigh the same amount of weed before you vape it. Weigh the same weed after you are finished vaping with it, no matter how far you push it (except less than combustion). That amount of ABV, left over is what you have not taken into your lungs/body. Ignoring pyrolysis compounds you are simply taking that much less particulate matter into your lungs. = less harmful.

That's a qualified answer. To quantify how much less harmful can not be answered without a controlled study.

regards

Tom

[edit: I've reached combustion (fiery glowing cherry) once when using my SSV and packing the wand too full. Took a hit and realized I had a small fire :)]

tdavie,

OO

Technical Skeptical
tdavie said:
Ok here's a real simple explanation of why it is less harmful than smoking even if you use higher temperatures;

Weigh a joint before you smoke it. That mass, more or less (less actually) goes into your body. Weigh the same amount of weed before you vape it. Weigh the same weed after you are finished vaping with it, no matter how far you push it (except less than combustion). That amount of ABV, left over is what you have not taken into your lungs/body. Ignoring pyrolysis compounds you are simply taking that much less particulate matter into your lungs. = less harmful.

That's a qualified answer. To quantify how much less harmful can not be answered without a controlled study.

regards

Tom

Thanks for summing it up so well.

OO,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
I still think there's a question here, probably best to search for it:

what compounds vape or are created at higher vaping temps that are bad for us?

I think benzene is bad for us even at lower quantities, and that it's created both during lower temps and again at higher temps, but I don't know - check for it

---------------------

not to nit-pik, but we don't or shouldn't hold smoke hits long enough to absorb much of the particulate...I think it's more about limiting exposure to smoke because it's possibly has genotixic effects on our cells, and there are known health risks associated with marijuana smoke (mucosal dissection etc, google is your friend)..aren't there hundreds of compounds in marijuana smoke?
I still think people haven't been dying from it, but what do i know,
but i do know smoke is different from vapor, it works differently because the actives are made more bio-available and particulate size of smoke is smaller, allowing it to more freely interact with our lung's alviolii. I can't find anything to support this but believe it's true. What I do find is talk of how smoke works in only 3-4 seconds, so there's no need to ghost hits anymore

VWFringe,

TwztedVaper

Boom Shankar
I really don't think the trace amounts of benzene and other compounds you might get at higher temperatures are really going to matter. You probably get more toxins breathing in regular city air

TwztedVaper,

max

Out to lunch
Triple S said:
usually when I vape lower it takes like 3 bags to get a good enough high.
You're still measuring the vapor high against the smoke high, which comes with smoke byproducts, and their sedative effects, which really don't have anything to do with cannabis. Your "good enough high" includes the toxic smoke compounds like CO, benzene, and others, which increase as you up the temp towards the combustion point. While lower temps may not be to your liking, it's not a question of good, better, best, as you go up in temp. It's just personal preference.

Also I guess anything over 400 FH would make it no point of vaporizing.
Not at all. Using any temp short of combustion point is worthwhile. How clean you want your vapor to be and/or what kind of effect you want, is up to each individual. A lot of medical users get the best results for their needs at higher temps.

pakalolo said:
As far as I know, you cannot reach combustion temperatures with a Volcano.
Yeah, they set the max temp at 230 C. I've never heard of a 'cano combusting. And even the highest temp vapor is healthier than smoke. Cleaning the black gunk out of the mouthpiece of a well used pipe is evidence of what you're inhaling with smoke.

max,

Triple S

Thanks max that pretty much answered all my questions I guess I just prefer higher temperatures and I have vaped on almost max and the weed does not go black which means it did not reach the combustion stage which means it is still better then smoking. Thanks everyone.

Triple S,

Raf007

Retailer
Triple S, there is no way to go near combustion with your cano as Pakalolo stated...I don't know if you have seen black ABV already, but afa my experience goes with my own old Cano, I never have black ABV like I can have with a vape where you can go in higher temps.

But maybe you should also look toward another vape capable of delivering the goods faster.
With the cano, the ratio vapor/air is so big that it takes for ever to vape everything even at max temp.
But with some other vapes you could vape the same load in between one hit (the supreme vaporizer) and as many as you wish.

Raf007,
Top Bottom