Discontinued VapeXhaleLabs Presents: The Cloud

Status
Not open for further replies.

Engy

engy
pakalolo said:
Engy said:
Thanks.

To be fair, the type of heater used in the Cloud was never stated in this thread. Look for yourself
google: site:fuckcombustion.com vapexhalelabs ceramic heater

Here's the quote from vaporpedia for those who are interested:
"The Cloud Heat Injector uses a unique heater design that features a molded ceramic heater wrapped around an all-glass vapor passage. A controlled-loop algorithm ensures consistent temperatures during a draw. It is enclosed in an insulated aluminum housing to permit easy one-handed use when a HydraTube is mounted. The top of the Cloud houses a male conical glass-on-glass (GonG) joint that accepts the Easy Load Bowl, which is designed to hold the herb in place so that you can use the Cloud inverted. This allows you to connect the Cloud to almost anything in your existing glass collection (adapters will be needed for 14mm pieces)."

The first relevant mention of the heater is this:

stonemonkey55 said:
@hippie dickie - I'll get some pictures later on that will show the heating element but just to give you an idea, we took a different approach. Instead of putting the glass around a heating element and heating it from the inside out, we use a proprietary heater that we can shape around our glass to heat it from the outside in. The air never touches anything but hot glass.

That's post #157 in this thread. There are several other posts concerning the heater. I'm surprised that your search doesn't turn up some of them, but you can see why that one didn't.

I assembled the Vaporpedia entry, and the information there about the heater came from either this thread or from the information on the VapeXhale Labs website. stonemonkey55 reviewed it for accuracy. I realize that it is daunting to tackle a thread of more than 100 pages, especially searching for a specific answer about design details. That's why I keep adding stuff to Vaporpedia, and I wish more people would do the same.

I read that post. A "proprietary heater that can shape around our glass" is very nonspecific.

The only time stonemonkey55 used the word "ceramic" in one of his posts in this thread was when he was differentiating the Cloud from other vaporizers eg: post 1183
When people ask me what kind of vaporizer they should get or why our vaporizer is better than others, I inevitably ask them what they want and what they need. If all they need is something that creates vapor so that they can stop smoking at a minimal price, then for sure, the Cloud is not for them. If ceramic/steel/aluminum is good enough for you, then by all means, get a ceramic/steel/aluminum based vaporizer. If you don't have to have a lot of the luxury items in the Cloud, then you probably won't see the value in it.

see google: site:fuckcombustion.com vapexhalelabs stonemonkey55 ceramic

This was a strong indication to me that the Cloud didn't utilize a ceramic heater. Could you show me where it was explicitly stated that the Cloud uses a ceramic heater? It must be somewhere if you compiled the info on the Cloud entry from the contents of this post and their website.

Engy,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Engy said:
Could you show me where it was explicitly stated that the Cloud uses a ceramic heater? It must be somewhere if you compiled the info on the Cloud entry from the contents of this post and their website.

I jut did--stonemonkey55 read and approved the Vaporpedia entry. Sorry, but I'm not about to spend the time digging out exactly where that was first stated. If you think that I dug up incorrect information and then stonemonkye55 overlooked it, contact VapeXhale and ask. The important point here is that the heater is wrapped around the glass that forms the airpath.

pakalolo,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
Engy, when you say there had been "a strong indication to me that the Cloud didn't utilize a ceramic heater.", I think you are referring to the claim that there is no ceramic heater in the airpath like some other modelsthat state they have an 'all glass vapor path'.

The heater and any heat sink materials in the shell are completely outside of a 100% glass airpath (minus the stainless steel screens).

I am not sure if the company will disclose exactly what is inside of the units or just refer to it's insides for maintenance and usage insight/instructions. Either way, they seem to have created a device that is unmatched by other vaporizers on the market.

Progress,

Pappy

shmaporist
The Cloud not only has an all glass air path... You can see through it end to end and even blow darts through it which I never tried. ;)

Pappy,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Pappy said:
The Cloud not only has an all glass air path... You can see through it end to end and even blow darts through it which I never tried. ;)

So you would have us think. :suspicious:

pakalolo,

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
Pappy said:

I love the sound of that, being able to see through it!

And Pappy you sly man, next time you never blow a dart through it, wanna grab a quick video of it? ;)

Purpl3_Haz3,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
Pappy made a funny, a damn good one.

All kidding aside, there really is something amazing about holding it up to yur eye and looking through. If I had mine, id take a pic for everyone to see. It was something I mentioned to SM, helps in the wow factor.

The design isn't just to look cool, it created a vaporizer with almost no restriction on air flow. I for one can't think of a less restricted vape, all the air passes though is a glass tube, and then your herbs\screenbowl. You hear a little wisle, as the air hits some turbulance along they way.

IAmKrazy2,

Engy

engy
Progress said:
Engy, when you say there had been "a strong indication to me that the Cloud didn't utilize a ceramic heater.", I think you are referring to the claim that there is no ceramic heater in the airpath like some other modelsthat state they have an 'all glass vapor path'.

The heater and any heat sink materials in the shell are completely outside of a 100% glass airpath (minus the stainless steel screens).

I am not sure if the company will disclose exactly what is inside of the units or just refer to it's insides for maintenance and usage insight/instructions. Either way, they seem to have created a device that is unmatched by other vaporizers on the market.
You're probably right here. By ceramic, he probably meant, "ceramic in the airpath" and was comparing having those materials present in the airpath vs not having them present.

Engy,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Engy said:
Progress said:

You're probably right here. By ceramic, he probably meant, "ceramic in the airpath" and was comparing having those materials present in the airpath vs not having them present.

To answer your question, we are using a custom made, UL certified, wire heating element. The technology in the heater itself is nothing new, but the shape and the way it transfers heat is a bit different than the typical ceramic rods. The sensor itself is now embedded into the heater which goes around the outside of the glass. Our algorithm is a bit complex in that it calculates not only based on the heat coming from the heater, but the rate at which the heat bleeds and transfers through the glass. Took a lot of trial and error to dial it in but we were lucky enough to find the right formula to keep the heat consistent.

Let me know if that sufficiently answers your questions.

stonemonkey55,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
Took a lot of trial and error to dial it in but we were lucky enough to find the right formula to keep the heat consistent.

lucky? no, no, no, it was hard-edge, unrelenting, engineering! Congratulations to the power nerd.

Hippie Dickie,

Stonebreaker6

Vulgar display of insouciance
I wasn't familiar with UL so I looked it up. Here's an excerpt from Wikipedia:

Underwriters Laboratories Inc. (UL) is an independent product safety certification organization. Established in 1894,[1] the company has its headquarters in Northbrook, Illinois.[2] UL develops standards and test procedures for products, materials, components, assemblies, tools and equipment, chiefly dealing with product safety.

And from Ul.com

UL is the preeminent brand in safety and product testing and certification in North America. The expertise and integrity behind its Mark is UL's most powerful and important asset.

UL's North America component certification program covers a wide range of component types, ranging from plastics and printed wiring boards to complex high tech sub assemblies and industrial controls.

UL's Component certification programs create value for end-product manufacturers by eliminating redundant testing and surveillance for the commercially available components employed in their products. It also adds confidence to supply chain integrity by having the component testing and surveillance conducted where the components are manufactured, rather than when they are already being used in an end-product.

The program additionally creates value for component suppliers by providing them with an independent and objective means to demonstrate to end-product manufacturers that their components comply with the applicable component requirements and enables their buyer's access to the information through UL's online certification directories.

Go PowerNerd!

Stonebreaker6,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
stonemonkey55 said:
To answer your question, we are using a custom made, UL certified, wire heating element. The technology in the heater itself is nothing new, but the shape and the way it transfers heat is a bit different than the typical ceramic rods. The sensor itself is now embedded into the heater which goes around the outside of the glass. Our algorithm is a bit complex in that it calculates not only based on the heat coming from the heater, but the rate at which the heat bleeds and transfers through the glass. Took a lot of trial and error to dial it in but we were lucky enough to find the right formula to keep the heat consistent.

Actually, it confuses me a little. You say it's a wire heating element, which many here would take to mean nichrome. I don't think it's nichrome, I think it's a molded ceramic wire element, is that correct?

Sorry to make such a fuss over a detail that shouldn't matter, given that it's isolated by glass from the airflow, but I want to make sure the Vaporpedia entry is correct.

pakalolo,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
pakalolo said:
stonemonkey55 said:

Actually, it confuses me a little. You say it's a wire heating element, which many here would take to mean nichrome. I don't think it's nichrome, I think it's a molded ceramic wire element, is that correct?

Sorry to make such a fuss over a detail that shouldn't matter, given that it's isolated by glass from the airflow, but I want to make sure the Vaporpedia entry is correct.

Pakololo - the confusion stems from the fact that it used to be a ceramic heater when we first started but has now changed. The wire in our heater is a copper wire that is sandwiched in our insulation. As you noted in your response, the material is almost a moot point since it is completely separated from the air path but this should clear things up for the Vaporpedia entry. Thanks again for all of your hard work!

stonemonkey55,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Thanks stonemonkey55, point clarified and Vaporpedia corrected. Thanks also to Engy for raising the issue and forcing the point. Even if it is a minor detail I don't want bad information in Vaporpedia.

pakalolo,

hereatlast

^^ An admirable pursuit, thanks for everything paka.

Keep up the good work VXL (and thanks for your continued presence here SM). Cool to see the continued developments and get more intricate peeks inside. Now, where is PowerNerd for a hearty pat on the back?

hereatlast,

Pappy

shmaporist
hereatlast said:
^^ An admirable pursuit, thanks for everything paka.

Keep up the good work VXL (and thanks for your continued presence here SM). Cool to see the continued developments and get more intricate peeks inside. Now, where is PowerNerd for a hearty pat on the back?
I second that... Thanks pak!

Pappy,

Engy

engy
stonemonkey55 said:
Pakololo - the confusion stems from the fact that it used to be a ceramic heater when we first started but has now changed. The wire in our heater is a copper wire that is sandwiched in our insulation. As you noted in your response, the material is almost a moot point since it is completely separated from the air path but this should clear things up for the Vaporpedia entry. Thanks again for all of your hard work!
Sweet, thanks for clearing that up. I just like knowing how things work ^_^. Interesting choice of copper. It has such a low resistivity!

Engy,

LiquidDreams

VapeHead
Any idea on how many SG's will be available for the pre-order? Steve from SG told me he provided stuff in the beginning but unfortunately doesn't look like he will doing more outside of the pre release stuff... He's an incredibly busy dude and obviously isn't the cheapest source. Just curious on how many gridded tree tubes there actually will be. I might have to snag one if they're available when my # gets called :cool:

LiquidDreams,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
IAmKrazy2 said:
All kidding aside, there really is something amazing about holding it up to yur eye and looking through. If I had mine, id take a pic for everyone to see. It was something I mentioned to SM, helps in the wow factor.

Posted these before, they don't capture the right angle the but I took them because of how cool the see-through effect is. It's like seeing into the future! :D

More

vtac,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
vtac said:
IAmKrazy2 said:

Posted these before, they don't capture the right angle the but I took them because of how cool the see-through effect is. It's like seeing into the future! :D

http://i.imgur.com/WlddMs.jpg http://i.imgur.com/fGuAss.jpg

More

Really, really cool pics Vtac! Thanks for sharing those with the forum, didn't know how I overlooked these on Friday.

@LiquiDreams - you are correct, Sovereignty made us a limited amount of gridded trees, all of them are spoken for but if anyone decides to forego on their SG Gridded HydraTree, the people that requested them next in line automatically get slotted for theirs.

Please do not ask if you are in line for a SG HydraTree, when you order, if the option is there to choose one, then you will be able to order one when it is your turn to order. Thanks for the consideration, the last I asked for people not to ask me to be beta testers and I had to reply to 80+ emails of people asking to be beta testers. Don't get me wrong, I love trading emails with you guys but I think you guys will agree, my time is better spent working on the CLoud than answering emails :ninja: - see you guys @ SF Cannabis Cup!

stonemonkey55,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
One more thing, @Lo - Thanks for the shirt!

IMG_1255.JPG

stonemonkey55,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
Lo, you making those tshirts in XXL too? I'm 6 foot and a little over 200lbs. Like my shirts roomy. If you're taking orders, I'm in.

IAmKrazy2,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom