Vapes that don't need stirring

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
I think with convection, past a certain bowl depth, stirring is unavoidable. When you look at the bowl material from the side, as if it were a cylinder, you can see a clear color gradient, with the side closer to the heater darker and the opposite side lighter.

This gradient is always present, but when you micro-dose and have the cylinder reduced to a thin wafer, it's not a problem anymore and it's "good enough" to consider everything properly extracted without stirring.

It's also more evident when you compare the same load inside a 18mm stem system vs inside a 14mm one. The 14mm system will yield a deeper cylinder and the gradient will be more obvious than the shallower 18mm bowl cylinder, for the exact same amount of material that is.

With conduction it's true that the ABV is always super even. But on the other hand, the interface with the bowl walls will tend to be overcooked (the infamous roasted ABV / popcorny taste) and get much darker (not really visible when you unload as only a part of the ABV grains is darker and it gets all mixed) But if you could remove the bowl content "as is" without altering its structure, it should be more obvious.

It's exactly like when you cook a beef steak on a hot pan / grill. The interface is brown while the inside can stay rare or red. Eventually the inside will cook too, but the interface will always be darker. Whereas with convection, it's more like vapor cooking the steak... or well, rather like if you had the steak held above a vapor stream (as real vapor cooking is more uniform and doesn't create the gradient described above) Don't know if that makes much sense heh.

Last edited:

flammy

Dark ABV is pretty gross if you ask me. Why torture beautiful green bud into that when you could just dump earlier and refill with fresh nuggets?

I mean if it's to not waste, just do something with the abv--other than contaminating your taste buds and lungs with it?

I personally agree as I am a flavor chaser and not a med user. My AVB has hints of green in it.

However, for med users that are dealing with chronic pain, higher temp extraction will release more of the cannabinoids that they need for pain relief.

david8613

vape manufacturers should make the bowls flatter and wider, just like the storz & bickle plenty has it. having the bowl thin and flat makes it so the hot air can hit everything at once and evenly at the same time, and hot air is not looking for an easy way through material. the plenty is excellent here whether your fill it to max with material, use a liquid pad and less material, it always has perfectly vaped avb, no green bits, no hotspots/tunneling, no stirring necessary, just perfectly brown avb every time. I think I can deal with a little hotspotting/tunneling if it doesn't effect flavor too much, but green bits in my avb is a big giant no no in my book! it shouldn't happen.

ginolicious

My Flowermate V5 nano never needs a stir. I usually get a nice two 5 minute sessions on one pack. Nice even browning of the AVB.

ginolicious,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

little maggie

Many have recommended the vapcap. I agree that it doesn't need stirring. But my vapcap when full uses about the same amount as my milaana with a partially filled stem that also doesn't need stirring.

david8613

Here is a nice pic of my avb from my plenty. I probably could have gone to a higher temperature to get it a darker brown, but im not really a high temp guy, plus I was pretty baked at this point.:tup:

Last edited:

started@52

Here is a nice pic of my avb from my plenty. I probably could have gone to a higher temperature to get it a darker brown, but im not really a high temp guy, plus I was pretty baked at this point.:tup:
Dam that’s a big load! Or maybe the plenty chamber is smaller then I think, I have never handled one.

flammy

I find my Milanaa doesn’t extract evenly. I don’t stir, but I rotate the stem every hit (half full) and I still never get the avb a consistent color.

The Milaana (along with similarly styled convection vapes) are rather particular with the packing of the bowl, grind consistency dryness of the flower, and draw speed all seem to play a factor when it comes to avoiding hot spots.

That said, sometimes achieving consistent extraction is difficult even if the above factors are all done optimally. I've heard folks who say they can get away with not stirring if they rotate, some who don't need to rotate and others who can't get consistency regardless of what they do. Milaanas are hand built and the resulting variances most likely cause variances in performance due to that. The formation of the heater mesh and even placement of the placement of the heater or female glass sleeve can have an impact in some way.

flammy,
Reactions: Jill NYC

little maggie

A couple that don't need stirring probably because the stem being small in size like the vapcap: imp, nomad

little maggie,

david8613

Dam that’s a big load! Or maybe the plenty chamber is smaller then I think, I have never handled one.

it looks big but its not, I have a liquid pad under there, to save space. its definitely more in there compared to using vapcap, mv1 or mighty. I could have used less product if I wanted to. I also use it with the little mighty capsules, works great like that, its a shorter session but very efficient, extracts all the goodies.

david8613,

started@52

it looks big but its not, I have a liquid pad under there, to save space. its definitely more in there compared to using vapcap, mv1 or mighty. I could have used less product if I wanted to. I also use it with the little mighty capsules, works great like that, its a shorter session but very efficient, extracts all the goodies.
Lol, ok the liquid pad underneath explains it.

started@52,
Reactions: david8613

david8613

Lol, ok the liquid pad underneath explains it.

Yes, the first time I used my plenty, I used the liquid pad as recommended, so I did have more material than using capsules. but that night oh man we got so basted! I cant imagine what it would be like using the plenty's chamber full with no liquid pad, that's definitely a party time vape!

david8613,

started@52

Been using a pax 2/3 with half bowl lid. Been using it more then I normally will as it’s new so playing around with it so I know the best settings for me when I do need it. Used it till it tasted bad and then stirred, then took a hit and almost puked, lol. No stir needed, when it taste like it’s spent, it is so just dump it. Can’t really speak for a full bowl but I imagine it would be similar. I really like it for what it’s made for, stealth and pocket portability.

started@52,

Alex3oe

Accessory Maker
I mostly vape a weed/hash mix, cause weed is much more expensive and hard to obtain. The only of my portables that doesn't require stearing (of smaller, weed lasting) loads is the TuboX. I think it extracts second best of my vapes, only the Flowerpot/Showerhead does better :)

Alex3oe,
Top Bottom