Vapes on Planes - Traveling With Vaporizers

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
ili said:
Hi guys, I am currently in a Paris airport heading to GR and coming from Dominica. While living Dominica by ferry (same as airport... customs, security etc), I was sitting on a chair at the port with my MFLB, vaping and saying goodbye to that beautiful island. Suddenly I see at the end of the corridor, two custom's officers and a K9 heading for the toillets. I immidiately emptied the ABV behind a chair opposite to me, put the box in my pocket and stayed calm. The dog came by and didn't even sniffed the ABV behind the seat. I also had a Space Case 1 gr container in my handbag and luckily no smell came out of it. After some time when I had started to relax, the same guys pass by again, this time with a different dog!!! The second dog sniffed nothing either... That was yesterday... Today I am toking in the airport's toillets and have already checked in my bag and the small container.
So what is it with dogs and ABV? They are not trained for it?

Man are you lucky. I would never be brave enough to attempt to pull something like this off....happy trails, amigo.

jeffp,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
ili, you don't know what the dogs were trained to look for, residues from the creation of explosives is more common than you might think. You don't know if they were actively searching (working) or just walking around making a show or taking a break. The dog I saw at PDX took a HARD, SLOW sniff at every bag, btw his handler had a uniform with a big patch on it that said DEA (is this important?) but these were people already in the security line so if you tried to leave when you saw them they had 2 other cops to "detain" you for suspicious behavior. Sooo many variables, so many ways to screw up, so much pain to be inflicted by authorities. Bon chance mon ami.

Edit DEA=Drug Enforcement Agency (USA, Federal Law Enforcement, the "war on drugs" people).

t-dub,

natural farmer

Well, I guess I was lucky after all but the night at Orly airport (Paris) yesterday would take so long to end without some help from the box... Talk about stealth!!!

natural farmer,
this may be a stupid question... but I have an arizer extreme Q and was wondering if customs is going to give me any issues with me bringing this thing from canada to the us when I go on vacation later this year.... I don't intend on bringing any parts with it aside from the potpourri bowl and some cotton balls and essential oils.... I intend on having the bag attachments already in the US when I get there....

has anyone ever ran into any horror stories? is this a foolish idea? am I gonna lose my vape? lol. I'd think it'd be a pretty fool-proof way to get around it, but a few people I know are paranoid about my idea.... What do the vape gods say?

mod note: This topic was on page one of this section. LOOK before you create a new thread. Threads merged.

raoul leduc,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
raoul, Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents are NOT the people to be screwing around with in this country (USA). The feds do not really have a sense of humor about this cannabis stuff . . . I would look at the risk vs reward equation. What do I have to potentially gain by trying this, and what can I lose if/when I get caught? Will it ruin my family's trip if I get caught? Am I ready to deal with the legal ramifications? If they swab your EQ and it field tests positive for THC how would that make you feel (on your way to jail)? Think hard, before, you act.

Another great question is: Is there another way to accomplish my goal that utilizes less risk?

t-dub,
Reactions: grokit
k, that's why i don't plan on bringing any of the used parts (skip the cleaning part, I won't even bring them.. I can just order new parts when I get there)..... I can even be extra sure that there is no residue anywhere on the unit itself, etc. I intend on procuring my herbs when I get there... it is a multi-purpose machine... you can actually use it for potpourri and essential oil diffusing....

has anyone ever brought their extreme to the states and back before?

raoul leduc,
the gain? getting blasted on primo buds in the californian desert...
the loss? my unit that I use religiously everyday.

so yeah, it's not absolutely necessary I have it, just would be awesome to have my preferred method with me... my other option would be shipping it, but I'd rather just not take it if that's my only option...

raoul leduc,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
TSA is one thing, ICE is completely different, both are threats. When you go through immigration and customs you, and your stuff, are like a bug under a microscope. Highly controlled and monitored environment with no escape. I should point out that I travel worldwide so situations will vary, there are holes in the system. Just sharing my experience. :2c:

t-dub,

hogleg

With new or unused parts and cleaned up I would not worry about checking the EQ but not in a carry on. There is nothing wrong with an aromatherapy device

hogleg,

SD_haze

This is an excellent situation for having a back-up vape that comes apart into individual, legal, non-suspicious pieces :brow:
*cough* $20 vaporgenie coil *cough*

But when you do have a vape that will do aromatherapy and you actually bring essential oils/potporri with you and store it with it...AND it has zero residue, you're ultimately pretty safe.

SD_haze,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
+1 on the VG coil. For the price, you can just pick one up before your trip (brand new), Load it in your checked luggage and just gift it to someone when you are returning. Hell, you could even pack it separately in 2, 3, 4 different areas if you take it apart, but I don't even think that would be necessary.

I'd never fly with my EQ or similar vape.

:2c:

Stu,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
^+1. I'm sorry raoul but even considering taking your EQ through US customs is absurd. They are notorious for being hard lined on any thing cannabis related including paraphernalia.

Don't risk not getting through customs, don't risk a border ban to the US, don't risk ruining your holiday.

Take the advice of the sages above - buy a $20 Vapor Genie Coil, a mini jet lighter and some butane. You can even pick up a really inexpensive bong for the trip. Cost for the whole bundle = approx $40 - Cost of piece of mind = priceless.

J.R.R.Tokin',

hogleg

There is no reason the US customs cares about a clean aromatherapy device while I do agree that a vaporgenie of some sorts is great but if this is your daily driver and your accessories are clean well, what is the problem .

hogleg,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
hogleg said:
There is no reason the US customs cares about a clean aromatherapy device while I do agree that a vaporgenie of some sorts is great but if this is your daily driver and your accessories are clean well, what is the problem .

That "aromatherapy" cover can easily backfire, just ask weedemon. I'm pretty sure trying to tell the cop that his vapourizer was an aromatherapy device was a big part of him getting charged. In the jurisdiction in which he was busted, they don't charge anyone with possession for 8 grams unless there are extenuating circumstances (cue the "it's an aromatherapy device" story to piss off the cop).

If you try that cover you better make sure you are also carrying at least one oil or aromatic herb, and be knowledgeable about it and its beneficial effects, and why you need to use it. You also need to take apart your Q and make sure the interior is clean, because a lot of fine dust collects in there. It looks like kief, so I've never been sure if it's that or ABV or a mix. I guess I should test it one of these days.

pakalolo,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
hogleg said:
Its not a cover if there is no weed then there is no crime

See Drug Paraphernalia on the US Customs website. Arguing that is an aromatherapy device might work if you have the supporting materials and story--but it might not. In my experience, the C&I folks can pretty much do what they want and you don't have much recourse.

pakalolo,

wb21

what about an omicron with or without a filled cart? would they think it was just an ecig?

wb21,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
wb21 said:
what about an omicron with or without a filled cart? would they think it was just an ecig?

I travel through all Europe constantly with 2 omicrons and carts full, always crosses the borders with no problems!!!!
Even had some "Nice Ecig sir!"
:D

FLskwat,

YoGranMazPimp

I Vapes Hard
Interesting thread. Some brave stories of taking your vape along on a trip. I think with the chance of getting in trouble, and the chance of losing my prized possesion, id resort to buying the cheapest vape possible at my destination or, the unthinkable, combusting. :uhoh:

YoGranMazPimp,

quentin123

Last week I went to Amsterdam (from the UK), I swabbed my solo with isopropyl and blasted it on max heat setting for a couple cycles. Packed it and checked it in. I had no troubles at all. I'd brought a small amount of iso so I did the same at the other end. A good trip was had and I was really pleased to be able to vape in the Dam.

quentin123,

Wacko

Anyone else has traveled internationally with a Solo? Can it be fully cleaned with iso? Had any issues with customs? Wouldnt be passing through the USA though.

Wacko,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
As long as you aren't afraid to take it apart and blow out any possible ABV particles inside it, clean the ss bowl with iso and burn it off, and clean all the stems, then I would think you would be ok.

aesthyrian,

GreenLeaf

Hypothetically and personally, I would not risk it at all.

Especially in a Post 9/11 world, extra heightened airport security, and with TSA.

It's only pot. If you need it that bad I'm sure you can hypothetically find it wherever you are traveling to.

GreenLeaf,
Top Bottom