Vapes on Planes - Traveling With Vaporizers

thestallion69

I did full Airside security training to get my "airport officer" badge (compulsory for everyone that will get full access to the airside part of the airport - airside means literally the whole airport besides the runways), and the word "drugs" or anything related wasn't even mentioned once. What this means is simple, the job of security agents is not to find drugs but to guarantee each flight's safety. Obviously, if they find any illegal substance, they have to report it to the Airport police and then it's in their hands, but again, it's not what they're looking for.

Just be sensible about it, don't make them find any illegal substance in quantities that would make them call a cop.

I'd recommend throwing anything that doesn't have lithium batteries (or similar banned items) in the checked luggage (keep in mind checked luggage will suffer from drastic pressure & temperature changes, and they will also be thrown all over the airport and vehicles). Remember that everything that will go on a plane is going to go under x-ray scans, but I highly doubt a grinder ever caused any kind of alert (besides crazy places like Dubai, etc.). At the same time don't put anything valuable in the checked bag, thefts happen.

hoptimum

I did full Airside security training to get my "airport officer" badge (compulsory for everyone that will get full access to the airside part of the airport - airside means literally the whole airport besides the runways), and the word "drugs" or anything related wasn't even mentioned once. What this means is simple, the job of security agents is not to find drugs but to guarantee each flight's safety. Obviously, if they find any illegal substance, they have to report it to the Airport police and then it's in their hands, but again, it's not what they're looking for.

Just be sensible about it, don't make them find any illegal substance in quantities that would make them call a cop.

I'd recommend throwing anything that doesn't have lithium batteries (or similar banned items) in the checked luggage (keep in mind checked luggage will suffer from drastic pressure & temperature changes, and they will also be thrown all over the airport and vehicles). Remember that everything that will go on a plane is going to go under x-ray scans, but I highly doubt a grinder ever caused any kind of alert (besides crazy places like Dubai, etc.). At the same time don't put anything valuable in the checked bag, thefts happen.

While I was unpacking my checked luggage after a flight to Las Vegas in February, I found a note from a private security company informing me that they had checked my bag, I assume at random. I had a small amount of flower and a couple of vaporizers in my luggage and they apparently didn't mess with any of that. I agree that drugs, including cannabis, are no longer a priority with airline security, so until I hear otherwise, I'll continue to do as you suggest and bring anything with a lithium ion battery onboard with me in my carryon, and everything else in my checked bag.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I would carry ghost plus some 99% iso anyday, dont gota deal with torches, worse i lose or break it, no big deal when i back hits will be stronger lol
Your post had me ready to travel with Ghost, but upon further reflection, my upcoming trip is not the optimum scenario for the ghost. I'm going to Red Rocks and don't think I want to have to lug around that brick plus extra batteries during the shows... going to travel light, OmniVap & OmniCoil and Ambit.

Verax

I have flown with several portable vapes (crafty, Firefly, DavinciIQ), and fly 2-3 times a month with a small aluminum canister(s) of ground weed. Never had any problems in the past year and a half. (roughly 40 flights with herb) I always take them carry-on in my laptop/camera bag.

macca924

I travel regular between the uk and Amsterdam / Spain . Never any issues carrying vapes in hand luggage. I always thoroughly clean with iso wipes and then place it into the box for X-ray machine. Only every been stopped once when carrying a arizer air through. The agent thought it was a microphone lol

macca924,
Reactions: YaMon

YaMon

Vaping since 2010
Federal guidelines clarification https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-baffling-legal-gray-zone-of-marijuana-at-the-airport-11567589405

Cannabis with a THC concentration of greater than .3% remains a schedule one substance under federal law. If and until that changes, possession of cannabis ANYWHERE remains illegal under federal law due to the Supremacy Clause of the U.S. Constitution. This is particularly true in the context of the air travel industry which is regulated by federal law.

YaMon,
Reactions: Verax

hoptimum

Federal guidelines clarification https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-baffling-legal-gray-zone-of-marijuana-at-the-airport-11567589405

Cannabis with a THC concentration of greater than .3% remains a schedule one substance under federal law. If and until that changes, possession of cannabis ANYWHERE remains illegal under federal law due to the Supremacy Clause of the U.S. Constitution. This is particularly true in the context of the air travel industry which is regulated by federal law.

that may be true, but the procedure is for TSA to refer you to the local law enforcement that covers the jurisdiction of the airport you're in. For SFO, that would be San Francisco police, who don't book anyone for possession.

YaMon

Vaping since 2010
that may be true, but the procedure is for TSA to refer you to the local law enforcement that covers the jurisdiction of the airport you're in. For SFO, that would be San Francisco police, who don't book anyone for possession.
For those other destinations I would not want to put my future freedom in the over zealous hands of a wanna be LEO TSA agent

YaMon,

Tranquility

@hoptimum is correct. The procedure when TSA finds contraband is to report the traveler to local police. Local police enforce state and local law. Possession of cannabis, within certain limits, is not illegal in CA. So, not only would the San Francisco not book anyone, they can't book a person for following state law.

grampa_herb

Epstein didn't kill himself
In the mid-90's, flying out of SF I had a good fright. I kept a small pipe and stash container in a sack in my leather jacket, in the inside pocket. Apparently I set off some sensor and they pulled me aside, then ran sensors over my torso and found nothing. Then they removed my jacket and ran the sensors over it. I could see the stash sack sticking out of the pocket as they did this.

Nothing happened, but going through security high is no fun.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
While I'm not recommending flying with cannabis, it seems that CBD material and the e-cig craze has thrown a real monkey wrench in their ability to bust people for weed at airports. What I mean is, lets say you try to take a small vape pen with some cannabis distillate oil through security. If you claim that the oil is only CBD material, then whatever authority would need to take such an issue with your little amount of weed that they would need to send it off to a special lab to test it chemically and conclusively determine the amount of THC to prove it's not CBD. Unless you're bringing a shit ton in your luggage I just don't see them going through the effort.

The TSA even states on its website that it is perfectly fine to travel with vape pens and vape juice in your carry on luggage. How are they really gonna know the difference between e-cig oil and cannabis oil? How many hundreds or thousands of people are going through domestic flight security each day with e-cig vapes? Again, I'm not saying to try it, but I bet you could fly domestically from airport to airport all the live long day with a ccell palm and a distillate cartridge and no one would ever bat an eye.

Last edited:

grampa_herb

While I'm not recommending flying with cannabis, it seems that CBD material and the e-cig craze has thrown a real monkey wrench in their ability to bust people for weed at airports. What I mean is, lets say you try to take a small vape pen with some cannabis distillate oil through security. If you claim that the oil is only CBD material, then whatever authority would need to take such an issue with your little amount of weed that they would need to send it off to a special lab to test it chemically and conclusively determine the amount of THC to prove it's not CBD. Unless you're bringing a shit ton in your luggage I just don't see them going through the effort.

The TSA even states on its website that it is perfectly fine to travel with vape pens and vape juice in your carry on luggage. How are they really gonna know the difference between e-cig oil and cannabis oil? How many hundreds or thousands of people are going through domestic flight security each day with e-cig vapes? Again, I'm not saying to try it, but I bet you could fly domestically from airport to airport all the live long day with a ccell palm and a distillate cartridge and no one would ever bat an eye.

This has been my experience, but yeah, only crazy people should try it. :mental:

Verax

So, twist on the original question - Has anyone flown with an induction heater?

I have not flown with one of mine yet, but planning on it, the week after next.

I feel a little less comfortable with TSA letting this thing through security. I'm guessing the guts might look like something rather suspicious to the X-Ray operator.

Anyone tried yet?

kent1146

So, twist on the original question - Has anyone flown with an induction heater?

Yes, I have flown in the US with my induction heater on multiple occasions.

When passing through the x-ray scanners, I intentionally take the IH out and put it in a separate tray. Doing this shows that you have no intent to try and hide this thing.

It will pass through security just fine, because nothing about the IH is on the list of prohibited items or substances. If you are flying in regions of the world with strict regulations around carrying lithium ion batteries on flights, you will need to be mindful to store or carry any battery packs in a way that complies with safety regulations. In the US, you are fine with lithium batteries in your carry-on luggage. You should make it through this security screening process without any problems.

The only catch may be from a curious TSA agent... just from pure human curiosity. Just be prepared with some kind of story here.

Here's what I use:

Mr. TSA officer, this is my "science project." I am an engineer (or graduate student, if you look younger) , and this is my prototype for a new invention.

What does it do? Well, I dont want to get into it too much, because it isn't patented yet. Let's just say that I'm working on a way for doctors to quickly sterilize some of their tools in the operating room. I dont want to say too much more, but if it all works out, you'll see these in every operating room in the country in a few years.

grampa_herb

The only catch may be from a curious TSA agent... just from pure human curiosity.

Coming back from a Caribbean cruise into Miami, TSA sought an aerosol can in my backpack. The guy found and asked me about my 2 pens. He asked me if I was trying to quit smoking and how it was working.

Another time my Tarot Nano mod set off some sensor and they scrutinized it some.

Verax

Yes, I have flown in the US with my induction heater on multiple occasions.

When passing through the x-ray scanners, I intentionally take the IH out and put it in a separate tray. Doing this shows that you have no intent to try and hide this thing.

It will pass through security just fine, because nothing about the IH is on the list of prohibited items or substances. If you are flying in regions of the world with strict regulations around carrying lithium ion batteries on flights, you will need to be mindful to store or carry any battery packs in a way that complies with safety regulations. In the US, you are fine with lithium batteries in your carry-on luggage. You should make it through this security screening process without any problems.

The only catch may be from a curious TSA agent... just from pure human curiosity. Just be prepared with some kind of story here.

Here's what I use:

Mr. TSA officer, this is my "science project." I am an engineer (or graduate student, if you look younger) , and this is my prototype for a new invention.

What does it do? Well, I dont want to get into it too much, because it isn't patented yet. Let's just say that I'm working on a way for doctors to quickly sterilize some of their tools in the operating room. I dont want to say too much more, but if it all works out, you'll see these in every operating room in the country in a few years.

Great suggestion on taking it out. Appreciate the post!

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
So for my annual Get-away this year, I brought Ed's TNT Woodscent, a small bubbler. an Arizer Argo, 2 2.5 oz of high 20% THC range of cannabis, 6 pods, a few cartridges, some kill-ass tincture. I think I'm set here in Southern Baja California for the next 10 weeks.

Last edited:

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
I speak a little Spanish. One day, at the Los Cabos airport, a customs woman was working a dog amongst the luggage. I asked her, "Looking for bombs or drugs?" She laughed and replied "food". They are very cautious about their thriving agriculture here in the Baja. I've even had Italian dry salami confiscated. Of course, we're bastards to them bringing food into U.S., so they like to reciprocate.

Last edited:
Top Bottom