Vape with best temperature accuracy?

budballer

Hi, so i'm wondering out of the currently electronic vapes which has the most accurate temp reading? For example i used to own an extreme q, and there is now way that temp reading was correct.. still a great vape though. Typical box vapes seem to be very off as well. I bet the volcano is probably the most accurate but i'd like to see what the most accurate is under $300 USD. the herbalaire 2.1 perhaps? please FC, your thoughts on the matter.

budballer,

lwien

The HA doesn't have a temp display. Very few legit vapes do, with the exception of the Volcano Digit, the now unavailable Zepher Ion, along with the Aromed, the Vaporfection and the Extreme. The Ion was pretty darn accurate and I've heard that the 'Cano and the Aromed are as well. Don't know about the Vaporfection.

I think you would be really hard pressed, at this time, to find a vape that had an accurate digital temp readout under the 300 dollar price point.

lwien,

budballer

well i see the HA as a contender, it's still electric with a temp control dial.

budballer,

lwien

He's asking about an "accurate temp reading". I equate that to a digital display. Guess the OP needs to clarify.

An analog dial is not displaying any kind of temp reading, be it accurate or not. All it's doing it's doing is giving you a reference point, not a temp reading.

If you had the HA dial at 12:00, what is the temp reading?

lwien,

budballer

oh i thought it had temperatures on it? guess not. what is it just 1-10?

budballer,

lwien

I don't think I've seen any legit vape with an analog temp dial that had temp readings on it.

Stu said:
What about the Supreme?

I stand corrected. Thanks Stu.

lwien,

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
Am I wrong lwien, or isnt the OP the only other person in this thread? you said 'he' (referencing the OP) in reply to budballer, who is the op....

back on topic, isnt the new HA supposed to have a digital temp display?

Purpl3_Haz3,

lwien

Purpl3_Haz3 said:
Am I wrong lwien, or isnt the OP the only other person in this thread? you said 'he' (referencing the OP) in reply to budballer, who is the op....

LOL. I'm soooo vaked. Thanks for embarrassing the shit outta me. ;)

Purpl3_Haz3 said:
back on topic, isnt the new HA supposed to have a digital temp display?

Does it? I have no idea.

lwien,

nicelytoasted

Vaked Chemist
At 12:00, the temp in the HA is ~ 345-350F (~ 175C).

The dial does have actual temps on the dial, displayed in 5F degree increments.

The accuracy has been stated as plus/minus 2F, though with an analogue dial display, it might not be exact.

I don't need or expect it to be super accurate, as long as it has good precision, I'm content.

nicelytoasted,

budballer

Hmm I'm just wondering if the HA is a better or worse deal then the Q. Mainly considering build quality, accuracy, and efficiency.

budballer,

Nycdeisel

I believe that the actual temperature of the vapor would be about 50 degrees hotter then the display on the Supreme. A bag vaporizer would most likely be the most accurate, since the sensor can be placed in a different location then it could in a whip or other vaporizer(I think...)

Nycdeisel,

lwien

nicelytoasted said:
The accuracy has been stated as plus/minus 2F, though with an analogue dial display....

Wow. For an analog dial, that's amazing, if that were true. Anyone tested this?

lwien,

Egzoset

Banned
There are at least two important qualities relative to temperature in a vaporizer:

1) Regulation stability, expressed in relative terms
2) Accuracy of measurement, expressed in absolute values

The temperature control loop in your vaporizer can be stable and yet you'll never know what temperature it is actually set to exactly, as long as your setting is reproducible from one time to the next that's OKay: whatever markings you have on the dial those will do just fine once you've found your sweet spot.

If you must know the exact temperature which was reached in the crucible then the suggestion i've made at the end of some old post before might be of use to you as well: try temperature recording ribbons...

:2c:

Egzoset,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
as long as your setting is reproducible from one time to the next that's OKay

i think that's true, too. The one advantage i find from having an actual temperature display is to know if the vape has failed, and the setting is not resulting in the expected temperature. Most BarBeQue thermometers can read up to 550F for $15 or so.

i don't understand why you say regulation stability is a relative measure. i'm seeing plus or minus 0.5F as an absolute measurement. Any temperature control mechanism will have a temperature band, but with PID control it can be a very narrow band.

Hippie Dickie,

max

Out to lunch
Purpl3_Haz3 said:
isnt the new HA supposed to have a digital temp display?
This might be nice if they do a good job with it, but I have to think the current analog version would be more reliable. The current HA has temp markings on the dial. Assuming accuracy, you can set it for exactly 350, etc.

Nycdeisel said:
A bag vaporizer would most likely be the most accurate, since the sensor can be placed in a different location then it could in a whip or other vaporizer
Yes, and sensor placement is important, if the unit is supposed to display true vaping temp. The Extreme sensor started out, with the first version, being placed at the heater, so you didn't get vaping temp on display, just the actual heater temp. And bag vapes used with the pump/fan are easier to display accurate temps since you're getting a steady air flow. A digital display with passive direct draw has to be able to react very quickly, since draw speed affects the temp. Showing you the temp at the bowl doesn't show the true vaping temp, since with a convection vape, that requires air flow through the bowl.

budballer said:
Hmm I'm just wondering if the HA is a better or worse deal then the Q. Mainly considering build quality, accuracy, and efficiency.
The HA, with no glass or digital, would be more reliable-less to go wrong and nothing easily breakable. And there really isn't any model more efficient at getting everything out of your bowl load. And the HA is a better deal in that you can get one on eBay for about $170 delivered, and be assured that you'll get the 3 yr. warranty without worrying about buying from an authorized dealer. OTOH, I'd give the edge to the E when using whip mode.

max,

Egzoset

Banned
Hi Hippie Dickie,

Hippie Dickie said:
Egzoset said:
There are at least two important qualities relative to temperature in a vaporizer:

1) Regulation stability, expressed in relative terms
2) Accuracy of measurement, expressed in absolute values

...i don't understand why you say regulation stability is a relative measure.

1st lets explain with an example what it means to express accuracy of measurement in absolute values.

Sn 95.6/Ag 3.5/Cu 0.9 solder is truly eutectic at 217 C, this means that as long as your thermometer can measure temperature accurately this particular solder alloy will always melt at the same temperature: the results are independant of your measuring device, the 217 C point is an "absolute" value.

Of course, you can try to cheat by modifying the environment (mainly by changing pressure and atmosphere composition) but then you'd be avoiding the idea...

The thing here is that you can't use absolute values to express regulation stability unless the settling temperature itself can be measured accurately and, even if you're able to state that you can, then this would only render information exchanges most inconvenient outside of your work room anyway. It's quite possible to monitor variations with excellent accuracy, on the other hand. Those variations usually express in practical "relative" terms: for example, on the "percent" range - which IS a relative scale. It's not really important where 350 F really occurs on my HerbalAire dial, i just need the temperature to remain as close as possible to my favourite sweet spot once i've found it. What about you?

Now, that leads us to the digital display... Knowing that the number being shown probably isn't accurate in absolute terms, wouldn't it make much more sense to add one dimension to this display by drawing real-time curves anyway, possibly with digital deviation readings expressed in percent instead?...

Well, maybe it's too late for the v3 HerbalAire but why not in v4!

In fact, i'd rather simplify the display and drop numbers in favour of a USB port, euh... But i can sense objections coming already! Unfortunately, we don't know what's inside the HerbalAire and hence it's not possible to establish how analog and digital technologies were combined in its design. My bet is there may happen to be more digital content to it than meets the eye even in a v2.1 release.

:peace:

Egzoset,

budballer

Wow thanks for all the great responses people! Really opened my eyes. I actually have a thermocouple laying around. Next time I get my hands on a vape ill measure and record vapor temp through the bowl using different temp settings. Maybe ill get some kind of curve and then adjust temperature accordingly. Hope you can understand what I'm trying to say! I tend to be confusing.

budballer,

gobbly

not sure how much it helps, but I use a steinel heat gun with a fairly accurate sensor in the nozzle, and airflow makes a huge difference. The moment there is back pressure the temp will jump up 20-30f, and it takes the thing a second or two to adjust (it'll sit at +30f for 1-1.5 seconds, jump down to -10f for a second, then stabilize at the set temp). So even the high end models that give you more than just a thermostat somewhere near the bowl, are still going to be effected by changes in airflow.

Even with the accuracy of the steinel and being able to tune the temp changes, I found it necessary to use a surface thermometer to test the bowl temps so I could properly isolate vape points. In the end the digital makes is slightly easier to dial temps in, and swap between different temps, but to properly gauge the temps you are actually vaping at you will need to verify temps and adjust according to bowl temp. If you can't control the air speed this is all kinda a guessing game anyway, since you won't ever get a consistent temp (in that case configure so it won't exceed your desired temp then try to suck consistently). This is kinda a different way of saying what other have said above...

gobbly,
There is also the vapir N02. It is pretty accurate and has a digital display. According to Gizmodo when they put up a heat gun to it the temperature displayed was what it actually was at. I love mine its allot of fun ^^

soaring spoon,

budballer

Im not sure if I trust vapir products.. normally things that smell toxic, are.

budballer,

Egzoset

Banned
Perhaps future vaporizers will have a two-stages heating process, with a crude pre-heater combined to an acurate precision heater...

:D

Egzoset,
Top Bottom