Vape Minyan

Razhumikin

I love being Jewish, and I love vaping. I've noticed a fair amount of tribe members on FC, so I figured id make a space for us here. Feel free to use this thread to talk about any and all things Jewish or vaping-related, such as Whats your favorite jewish food or activity to engage with while your vaped?, Do you feel like vaping allows you to connect to your spirituality more? Do you even think Judaism has a spiritual component?

I dont personally believe in any form of spirituality, but my Judaism is an integral, vital part of my identity, and I definitely feel something powerful when I'm stoned and eat a bowl of matzah ball soup :).

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Noice I saw your comment in another thread using a less well-known term ;) Yeah I've personally never been very spiritual and not even very cultural at all anymore, but there's always something special about being high on Shabbat? :razz: ultimate relaxation :smug:

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
Spirituality .... nah.

Both sets of grandparents were Jewish but only one attended Synagogue. Notice how I said attended Synagogue but didn't mention "were religious". My family also attended services to show respect to my grandfather.

I break religion down to one thing ... a belief in God. Many of my Jewish friends/family attend services on high holy days but don't keep kosher, lay tefillin or believe in God. I consider myself Jewish and part of the tribe(s) but I am an atheist.

I attended Hebrew school, had a bar-mitzvah and almost attended Hebrew High School. The grandparents who attended services wanted me to become a cantor or Rabbi and were willing to pay for me to continue my schooling..... but my grandfather passed and that was the end of anything having to do with Synagogue or religious schooling.

I miss latkes, matzo brei, matzo ball soup, corned beef and the smell at the Jewish deli and don't even get me started on kugel.

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
being high on Shabbat? :razz: ultimate relaxation :smug:
Better than being high on Black Sabbath ??? I am quite the atheist myself,but i do believe in Tony Iommi
20120818181658.jpg

4everpushingaboulder

Spirituality .... nah.

Both sets of grandparents were Jewish but only one attended Synagogue. Notice how I said attended Synagogue but didn't mention "were religious". My family also attended services to show respect to my grandfather.

I break religion down to one thing ... a belief in God. Many of my Jewish friends/family attend services on high holy days but don't keep kosher, lay tefillin or believe in God. I consider myself Jewish and part of the tribe(s) but I am an atheist.

I attended Hebrew school, had a bar-mitzvah and almost attended Hebrew High School. The grandparents who attended services wanted me to become a cantor or Rabbi and were willing to pay for me to continue my schooling..... but my grandfather passed and that was the end of anything having to do with Synagogue or religious schooling.

I miss latkes, matzo brei, matzo ball soup, corned beef and the smell at the Jewish deli and don't even get me started on kugel.
This is a similar story. Atheist/agnostic or humanistic Judaism I think I’ve heard.

bar mitzvah for me the wife and both my kids. Even Sunday School. I stopped listening years ago and finally have the opportunity to stop trying to set an example for my kids so my attendance and participation has dropped.

Ironically my sister ends up devoting her life and her EED to Jewish Education.

My FIL was a kosher caterer for years. I have the best kugel recipe ever but have been sworn to secrecy.

Razhumikin

Yea, im in a similar boat, but on the younger side of my life. I was raised in a conservative household, went to synagogue and sunday school, got my bar mitzvah, and kept Kosher until I was 18. I haven't believed in god or any supernatural phenomena since I was about 13, but I dont view this as incompatible with being Jewish (Maimonides himself more or less says this in the Guide of the Perplexed). Despite my lack of religiosity now, my fiance and myself intend to raise our kids when we have them in a Jewish milieu, and will definitely attend synangogue with them when they are growing up. I got so much from my Jewish education, and I would never want to deprive my kids of the beauty, culture, and community they would get out of it. Also, as a descendant of Holocaust survivors, i feel like its my duty to make sure Judaism continues into the future.

His_Highness

I ran into a religious conundrum when I fell in love with my wife. She was a devout Catholic whose family had a strong belief in God. I used to joke that they went to church more often than I went to work. They knew I was Jewish and without discussion were expecting that my wife would become Jewish because they are very patriarchal. When I asked my future mother-in-law why she wasn't upset at the thought of her daughter becoming Jewish she said "As long as she has a belief in God everything will be fine".

I talked to my parents and grandmother about the possibility of me getting married in church so my wife wouldn't be penalized for having fell in love with me. If she wasn't married in church she would no longer be able to take the host/communion and participate the way she always has. My family said "If you get married in church we're not coming. Don't you see how it would look to our family and friends". The irony wasn't lost on me that my wife and her family truly believed in God but were accepting of their daughter becoming a Jew and getting married in a Jewish ceremony while my family wasn't religious and weren't accepting in the least.

I had to tell my family that we were getting married in church because it felt like the right thing to do.

RogueGuy

Accessory Maker
Great thread @Razhumikin. There is a Jewish cannabis business group I'll have to find and post a link.

Religiously atheist, culturally Jewish and raising my kids that way. Want them to have a connection with the deep, rich and also painful history of their people.

My moms mom was raised Roman Catholic so we always celebrated Christmas and Chanukah.

My wife was raised christian/atheist and converted. It was a pretty cool experience for us since I went to her classes with her. Very surprised the Jewish religion took off given that the original initiation ritual was to cut the end of your penis off!! That takes some serious devotion!

@Shit Snacks I figured you were a MOT by your name. I should have asked sooner.

@4everpushingaboulder and I have been talking about doing a video sesh. Maybe we can do a group Shabbat MOT sesh?

Berzzerkker

I'm another religious atheist, raised catholic, alter boy, catholic schools, the whole nine yards. My mother even wanted me to be a priest!

About 5 years ago, my father confessed, on his deathbed, that I was half Jewish. His father, my grandfather was Jewish. but married a catholic from the Netherlands and lived his entire life as a practicing catholic.

The family had owned a large cigarette factory in Berlin and Hitler disliked cigarettes as much as he disliked the Jewish. Grandfather was so worried about Hitler that he transferred over 30 million DM to a Swiss bank sometime in the 1930's and was planning to get the family out of Germany when the SS learned about his plan, caught him and placed him in jail.

My father, his brother, and younger sister just barely escaped on some Turkish freighter and ended up in South Africa. My father made his way to the United States while his brother and sister stayed in South Africa.

Last edited:

4everpushingaboulder

Lots of similar stories I presume. My great grandfather cut off the tip of his index finger as young man in Poland in the early 1900s so he couldn’t be recruited to fight. Made his way over to the US and paid to bring his parents and some siblings over.

The older ones had trouble adjusting to life here and returned only to die in the holocaust. We’ve found cousins as far as Argentina and recent found a lost family from a brother who was apparently disowned by the rest of the family at some point.

Jewish family secrets.

His_Highness

I ran into a religious conundrum when I fell in love with my wife. She was a devout Catholic whose family had a strong belief in God. I used to joke that they went to church more often than I went to work. They knew I was Jewish and without discussion were expecting that my wife would become Jewish because they are very patriarchal. When I asked my future mother-in-law why she wasn't upset at the thought of her daughter becoming Jewish she said "As long as she has a belief in God everything will be fine".

I talked to my parents and grandmother about the possibility of me getting married in church so my wife wouldn't be penalized for having fell in love with me. If she wasn't married in church she would no longer be able to take the host/communion and participate the way she always has. My family said "If you get married in church we're not coming. Don't you see how it would look to our family and friends". The irony wasn't lost on me that my wife and her family truly believed in God but were accepting of their daughter becoming a Jew and getting married in a Jewish ceremony while my family wasn't religious and weren't accepting in the least.

I had to tell my family that we were getting married in church because it felt like the right thing to do.
The end of the story .....

Having decided to get married in church we met with the parish priest to make it happen. We had to take weekly classes (pre-cana marriage course) and once the classes were completed I was asked to sign a document agreeing to raise any children in the catholic faith. I made it clear I would not become a catholic and everyone was good with that.

2 weeks prior to our wedding day the parish priest asked to meet with us on a urgent matter.....the parish priest said "The parish has reviewed your information and cannot marry you in church because you've been married before and there was no information about your first wife's religion. She could have been a catholic so we'll need $500 to process a religious annulment". I explained .... "My first wife was a stripper, we married for the extra money the Navy gives you to live off base, we weren't in love and if she had a religion it was never brought up."

My soon to be wife and I left the room to talk in private ... I told her that this is a shake-down and I was surprised when she agreed and suggested that we not pay the $500. She was so HURT AND ANGRY. When we told the priest we wouldn't be paying $500 he said that there was nothing he could do and we wouldn't be getting married in the church. I explained, without calling him "Father" that I had held up my end of the bargain in order for my wife to continue pursuing her religion and if the church wasn't going to hold up their end without blackmailing us like this I no longer have an obligation to raise our children in the catholic faith.

The catholic community places the parish priest on a pedestal and nobody talks to them on a man to man basis like this. He told my mother-in-law what I had said and how I had said it and she told me how disappointed she was in me.

We got married by a justice of the peace in a civil ceremony and my family attended. My wife continued to attend services until we moved 2 years later and the hurt in her eyes whenever the time came to go to the front to receive the host still pisses me off to this day. My wife is still a true believer and thankfully has never expected me to be anything more than the blasphemous heathen that I am.

Razhumikin

Gonna have some non-jewish friends over for Shabbos tonight. Gonna make Matzah ball soup from scratch and some roast chicken, with a side of asparagus and rice, and rugalach for dessert. Definitely not trying to convert them to Judaism, but will be trying to convert them to vaping. Shabbat Shalom to all.

4everpushingaboulder

Gonna have some non-jewish friends over for Shabbos tonight. Gonna make Matzah ball soup from scratch and some roast chicken, with a side of asparagus and rice, and rugalach for dessert. Definitely not trying to convert them to Judaism, but will be trying to convert them to vaping. Shabbat Shalom to all.
That’s awesome. We generally invite a few non Jewish friends over for latkes and brisket during Hanukkah and pretty regularly at Yom Kippur for break fast.

precovid. Not sure I’m ever having 40 people in my house unmasked ever again!

edit. I feel compelled to clarify. I just realized during Covid how much I hate other people.

RogueGuy

Accessory Maker
I just realized during Covid how much I hate other people.
"People" are highly overrated. Very inconsistent performance and the customer service is terrible!!

We used to do Shabbat every Friday and have friends over but Covid definitely put a stop to it. We need to get back to it. My wife makes amazing Challah.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
I also have Jewish ancestry in my family, but not religious myself. Similar to comments I've been reading, I'm in it for the food! Here are some of my favorites:

smoked whitefish salad on a bagel with melted muenster cheese
chopped chicken liver with sliced egg and red onion on almost anything
matzo ball soup with fresh dill
steamed corned beef or tongue on rye with deli mustard
potato knishes with mustard
whipped cream cheese and lox on an everything bagel (untoasted)
matzo brei
challah made into french toast
hamantaschen
those chocolate covered jelly rings :drool:

Smoke (or vape) your marijuanika!

4everpushingaboulder

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Available here in a 2qt tub at Costco and it’s outstanding.

Haha yeah I remember relying on that stuff several years ago when I was living on the East Coast! West Coast thing that we miss out on it?? My pumpernickel bagel misses it

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
A couple of my favorites. Haven't seen whitefish salad in years. Are you on the east coast?
I guess it has been a while since I've had it with real whitefish. We will usually buy packaged smoked trout and make it with that. But I remember as a kid in NYC, going to the deli counter and seeing the whole shriveled up smoked whitefish staring at you. I'm gonna look for the pre-packaged stuff now.
I’ll tell ya smoking your own is pretty easy. And @RogueGuy has gotta have access to some nice salmon.

That looks soooo good. I've made gravlax by curing it with salt and sugar, but not cold smoking real lox.

4everpushingaboulder

vaper of weed smoker of meat,

cold smoked salmon is great. But I also do warm smoked fish. Salmon primarily but so easy for whole trout or whitefish if you can get it.

as described just a brine of salt and sugar. I’ve used both wet and dry brines and find them both effective but the dry creates a firmer texture.

Both cold and warm can be done really easily with a Weber kettle or even a gas grill (for me that’s like suggesting a joint to a vaper)

Cold smoking requires a cold day (under 60f is best) and a pellet tube smoker you can buy on Amazon for $20.

Top Bottom