• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Using tumblers for dry sift

shredder

Anyone have or use a tumbler? And tips for using a tumbler?

How about hash rosin? Anyone making hash rosin and could provide tips?

I bought a tumbler and want to make hash rosin from dry sift. So far I used it once on a few loose dry but not frozen buds and got dry sift hash that I pressed at 170F and got roughly 1.5 grams of very nice rosin with a medium weight grease consistency.

shredder,
Reactions: arb

arb

Semi shaved ape
I press kieff at 160ish 25 micron bags apply pressure slow and keep it low for longerish.
I usually dry product very dry the press through some 1\8inch mesh to mechanically separate the heads.
Do not over work material you do not want dust.
Tumble until color changes and protect the motor from kieff but don't smother it into overheat.
Freezing then working wet or even lightly moist material was a nightmare for me your mileage may vary.

shredder

I press kieff at 160ish 25 micron bags apply pressure slow and keep it low for longerish.
I usually dry product very dry the press through some 1\8inch mesh to mechanically separate the heads.
Do not over work material you do not want dust.
Tumble until color changes and protect the motor from kieff but don't smother it into overheat.
Freezing then working wet or even lightly moist material was a nightmare for me your mileage may vary.

Ive made dry sift before with a shaker bag and dry ice, and I did press a little, but I never had or used a tumbler. My first session was today was with a small outdoor plant I put outside in august. It was recently harvested and I saved roughly 20 grams to try. I dried it out but did not freeze. Maybe I should?

I pre pressed the dry sift in my pre press rosin mold to get a thin hash puck of 4 grams and pressed in a 20 micron bag at 170F for a couple minutes.

Anyway this rosin, slightly less than two grams is amazing. I was literally high for 7 hours off one dab today.

Tonight I set aside a couple ounces to dry and try again, so any tips are welcome. Such as, should I use dry ice, marbles, freeze the herb first? A lot of confusing advice on you tube, and you can't ask questions.

arb

Semi shaved ape
I definitely prefer very dry unfrozen material.
Frozen always attracts condensate and wet causes fuckery when dry sifting for me anyways.
I am also processing pounds of material at a time so not super concerned about yield.
I used to use a washing machine and do the wet extraction routine but I came to really despise water wet hash.
Purely my subjective taste and the concentrate game has gone beyond my grasp in many areas.
I just wanna produce the best,natural product possible.
🐸

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I would not recommend dry ice, super destructive.
Freezing can work very well, even better if you can tumble in a cold environment as frozen stalks help remove the resin heads similarly to the mechanism behind bubble hash.

If you can get your material cold enough you don’t even need to tumble, Ive posted vids on here of guys just shaking frozen trim using a bubble bag as the filter. However, I had issues getting material cold enough to work well when I tried it. Been curious of how it would turn out with a lab freezer...

Anyway this rosin, slightly less than two grams is amazing. I was literally high for 7 hours off one dab today.
That’s what I’m talking about!

damm

Dry sift can be wonderful with the right strains. It can be a lot of work with little return with other strains. I also have a preference for manual dry sifting. A simple setup can be found here. It's not as turn-key as a tumbler, but you can work on providing quality over quantity.

I used to really enjoy dabbing ice wax/dry sift as well.

Farid

I prefer a pair of flat print screens, at least for initial agitation. It allows more gentle tapping over the screens without allowing too much contaminant in. Then after bouncing buds on the screens a tumbler can be aggressive enough to break up the buds, but this resin will always be more contaminated. If you have a flat screen, you can take that more contaminated resin and clean it up using the DVD trick.

Making sure the material is really dry is the most important, almost more important than the cold. The cold certainly makes the process quicker though.

arb

Semi shaved ape
I prefer a pair of flat print screens, at least for initial agitation. It allows more gentle tapping over the screens without allowing too much contaminant in. Then after bouncing buds on the screens a tumbler can be aggressive enough to break up the buds, but this resin will always be more contaminated. If you have a flat screen, you can take that more contaminated resin and clean it up using the DVD trick.

Making sure the material is really dry is the most important, almost more important than the cold. The cold certainly makes the process quicker though.
Wood frames and a rotary tattoo machine as a striker to bounce the material is one of my favorites.
Much easier to control but gets time consuming.
I have a stack of 24" x24 110,150,225 and like the wood better than aluminium for tapping,stacking and pinning.
👍

shredder

So far my dry sift turned out a light yellow, as is the rosin, but the rosin is pretty much translucent with a yellow tinge to it. No contaminates you speak of.

I did find contaminates when I used dry ice and a shaker bag. Maybe I was too aggressive?

I have some drying now and I'll freeze it before tumbling. I may break up some of the bigger buds. I have to use buds as I give my trim to my patients, although I may offer dry sift made from their trim if they want.

Farid

Dry ice is too aggressive, it's makes the flower way too brittle. I've also heard it can contain some residual stuff from it's manufacturing that you wouldn't want in your cannabis.

I think it's more important to have a cold environment than just getting the buds themselves cold. I only dry sift when it's 45° F or colder, and the RH is 50 or lower. So basically only outside in the late Fall and winter.

shredder

I only dry sift when it's 45° F or colder, and the RH is 50 or lower. So basically only outside in the late Fall and winter.

I have some dried and ready to tumble, but we're having rains of biblical proportions ATM. Localized flooding being reported. So for now I wait even though im itching to use my new toy, lol.

shredder,
Reactions: arb
Top Bottom