UNIX confuses me

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Background: I’m trying to mass-download collections from the Internet Archive for cold archival storage. I‘ve been able to follow their directions for doing this, which are here: https://blog.archive.org/2012/04/26/downloading-in-bulk-using-wget/

I’m totally lost after installing Cygwin. I don’t see an option to install wget for use with Cygwin and have momentarily given up.
Whoever wrote that tutorial has some wild ideas about what Cygwin is. Anyway, you don't have to install Cygwin to get wget. But if you want other unix tools for windows you can do that. I think 'curl' is installed by default now in windows, which can do everything wget can.

Anyway, I don't think wget is installed by default in Cygwin. Take a look here to see a clear description of how to add it:

DrömmenOmFrihet

Permanently shut down
Whoever wrote that tutorial has some wild ideas about what Cygwin is. Anyway, you don't have to install Cygwin to get wget. But if you want other unix tools for windows you can do that. I think 'curl' is installed by default now in windows, which can do everything wget can.

Anyway, I don't think wget is installed by default in Cygwin. Take a look here to see a clear description of how to add it:
So, I’ve discovered that Windows Powershell does the exact same thing, but uses invoke-webrequest instead

DrömmenOmFrihet,
Reactions: Grass Yes
Top Bottom