• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

United Machining Stainless Steel Grinder

Manity

I own both of these grinders V1 and V2. While I love the V2 and the artistry and size I still prefer the first version better. The teeth are different and I find provide a more consistent grind for my vapes. Both I'll keep for life though.

SquirrelMaster

I gave my UMG a good clean on Thursday and then took it for another go throughout the weekend. I was grinding a few different strains but in much smaller amounts and always stuffing them into the lid of the grinder which I think/hope helps. The first and biggest thing I noticed/confirmed is how much heat impacts my grind and this applies to all grinders. I mention this because when I did my first grind the grinder was fairly warm as I had cleaned it and then blow dryed it to remove any moisture. Typically in the summer as things warm up I find all my grinders, but more so my stainless, like to become gunked up faster. If your ambient temperature is stable like most are then you wouldn't see this behavior. That first grind in my UMG was not a pleasant experience but the 6 or so grind sessions I've had since haven't been anything like that so I wanted to mention that when I was thinking over how it became dirty instantly but hasn't since. The full load didn't help either.

I've quickly come around to really enjoying this grinder now that I have a more strict usage pattern. The top piece is easier to grip than my XL HR (same dimensions) because of the engraving on the UMG and also the much taller lid. I need to give all my grinders a good clean to get really serious. It may require a cleaning more often to maintain optimum performance but only time will tell and I'm putting it through it's paces right now .

@somethingcool it's funny you mention the magnet being strong because I find it on the weaker side but that's a good thing. That's a complaint I have with the HerbRipper, the magents are so strong they add resistance even with the plastic ring where as on the UMG they're the perfect balance of staying together but not holding the two pieces too tightly. Once I cleaned it I could spin two pieces past each other contrary to my HR which will stop immediately. I get the "siiinnngg" feature you were talking about.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
While I wait for my UMG to arrive, I ordered the 2.5” iaso grinder. It’s a bit taller since it’s a 4 piece, but pretty sure it can be used as a 3 piece. Either way, I’ll be curious to compare.

Nice, I don't think there is a thread for that one, but you can post reviews in the main herb grinder thread when it arrives! Curious

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: tlp5002

delta hotel

Just came in the mail. I must say, it's a very nice weight. Just taking it out of the mailbox I realized it was hefty. It's very pretty and I'm impressed with it aesthetically. I'm waiting on it to dry now after a quick rinse before trying it out. Lucky me, my break ends this evening so I'll be able to put it to use soon. One thing I'm not entirely sure about is the posts to secure the bottom. I sometimes have to feel around to get it to seat right, but it came with a tool to remove the posts, so I may try it without them.

I'd also add that it came with several screens in the package. Two look to be the same, but one looks a little less fine. Thanks a ton to United for getting me this pretty piece!

UPDATE: I put my first bud through it with the extra plate in to reduce the hole size. Everything came out in what looks like a light fine grind, and consistent. There was still some material in the top, but I used a small brush to push it around and through the holes. Loading between the teeth is almost foreign to me since I've been using a v1 GR8TR so long where the teeth are so short you can't. The shorter teeth do make everything easier to brush though.I'm curious to try it with the reducer plate removed, as I imagine it'll drop most of it through, and that grind should be fine enough after seeing it with the plate in. I typically load smaller amounts, and I didn't have any issue loading the bottom of the grinder, and not the top. Turning and spinning was about as smooth as it is with nothing in it, nothing jammed up or anything.

Overall after just a light test, I'm very pleased with it, though my comparison is only to an old v1 GR8TR, I'm happy with it. I wish everyone else waiting on theirs the same!

Last edited:

delta hotel

Had to come back to add that this thing is just a pleasure to hold. I find myself admiring it just sitting on my desk where I wouldn't have even cared to look at my old one. Even sometimes picking it up just to hold or spin a few times. I really do like the weight, I don't know if I can go back to a small, light grinder.

Bläzeth

Hello everyone. I am a "short time lurker" on this forum, and this will be my first post. I found United Machining becouse of all of you that contribuite to FC (a big thanks to all) and on reddit. I was imideatly stunned by the looks of the grinder, considering it a work of art. Sadly, i thought it would be difficult to get one, since i live in a very remote part of the world, and being in europe i thought it would be almost impossible. I sent an email to Dylan asking about import fees and customs clearance (he didn't know but sayed he trys to help international packages), had a quick and honest response and i decided to bite the bullet.

Shipping from the USA to my country was very fast, the problems only started with the Post Office in my country, who knew nothing about my order, or if I had to pay VAT. I waited 25 days without knowing anything about my package. No reliable information from my courier, two days before receiving the package, they told me that I would have to pay VAT, but I did not receive any notification. The next day I had an update on the status of my order saying it was in distribution, I didn't receive anything. The next day I went to the central that receives all the orders to ask about my package and someone told me i could pick it up, without taxes or anything.

I recieved my grinder on the 19 of May, been using it non stop since then. I love it, looks tailermade for my needs (slow pace, small pieces and popcorn buds loaded on the lid) and everything in it is just beautiful. Got no problems with the locking mechanism, i even found that if you only spin it clockwise it won't ever open, the weight is not a problem for me, but my wife is scared that i will break the table :lol:. In terms of size i guess is just perfect (big hands). The only thing i don't really like is that it gets pretty gummed up quickly (need advice on how to clean it, and maybe my flower ain't the best, Humidity levels are too high all year long). Without the fine plate i think this won't be a problem, but need to give it a deep clean and try it for a good amount of time.

The UMG is stunning to look at and it was really well tought, props to Dylan!

The Hunt for a portable vaporizer beggins :D

SquirrelMaster

Hello everyone. I am a "short time lurker" on this forum, and this will be my first post. I found United Machining becouse of all of you that contribuite to FC (a big thanks to all) and on reddit. I was imideatly stunned by the looks of the grinder, considering it a work of art. Sadly, i thought it would be difficult to get one, since i live in a very remote part of the world, and being in europe i thought it would be almost impossible. I sent an email to Dylan asking about import fees and customs clearance (he didn't know but sayed he trys to help international packages), had a quick and honest response and i decided to bite the bullet.

Shipping from the USA to my country was very fast, the problems only started with the Post Office in my country, who knew nothing about my order, or if I had to pay VAT. I waited 25 days without knowing anything about my package. No reliable information from my courier, two days before receiving the package, they told me that I would have to pay VAT, but I did not receive any notification. The next day I had an update on the status of my order saying it was in distribution, I didn't receive anything. The next day I went to the central that receives all the orders to ask about my package and someone told me i could pick it up, without taxes or anything.

I recieved my grinder on the 19 of May, been using it non stop since then. I love it, looks tailermade for my needs (slow pace, small pieces and popcorn buds loaded on the lid) and everything in it is just beautiful. Got no problems with the locking mechanism, i even found that if you only spin it clockwise it won't ever open, the weight is not a problem for me, but my wife is scared that i will break the table :lol:. In terms of size i guess is just perfect (big hands). The only thing i don't really like is that it gets pretty gummed up quickly (need advice on how to clean it, and maybe my flower ain't the best, Humidity levels are too high all year long). Without the fine plate i think this won't be a problem, but need to give it a deep clean and try it for a good amount of time.

The UMG is stunning to look at and it was really well tought, props to Dylan!

The Hunt for a portable vaporizer beggins :D
They are very nice looking I completely agree! The less I pack the better it is between cleaning but if you have sticky flower you'll just need to clean it a little more often. I was thinking about that the other day and although it may impact the aluminum insert, if @DylanUnited added some champering to the holes I wonder if that may help a little bit with keeping it cleaner and more so with reducing the amount of turns by allowing flower to fall through easier? I like to brush out my grinders with the S&B brushes to keep them going a little longer between cleanings as well.

Bläzeth

They are very nice looking I completely agree! The less I pack the better it is between cleaning but if you have sticky flower you'll just need to clean it a little more often. I was thinking about that the other day and although it may impact the aluminum insert, if @DylanUnited added some champering to the holes I wonder if that may help a little bit with keeping it cleaner and more so with reducing the amount of turns by allowing flower to fall through easier? I like to brush out my grinders with the S&B brushes to keep them going a little longer between cleanings as well.
I do think that he thought of that and the alluminium insert was is solution to avoid metal on metal contact inside the chamber (im not sure, im just guessing), but i agree with you, maybe in a future version he can think of a system that when you turn it empty, he starts to scrape all the residue and send it to the chamber. Before knowing about UMG i asked Gleichdick about their version made of SS, here is the reply:

"it was our first prototype of a stainless steel Grinder but we are facing some problem due to wear, therefore we can't sell them as they are.
The particles of chromium and other alloys aren't exactly something you want to get in contact with your goods.
The hard anodized aluminum, is just a superior 'coating', which works perfectly and without wear.
So we will have to do some redesigning with our stainless steel project probably with some kind of plastic ring to get rid of the wear problem. Unfortunately I can't tell you exactly when we will finish the redesign."

I noticed some bright grey dust after grinding for some minutes in a clockwise direction, it was where the lid joins the teeth, its the only part where i can see a metal to metal contact. What i think is that when the herb trys to get down, she can't, and the formation of hash begins(flower compressed, i will add some photos). I don't have isopropanol available near my island, maybe i should just clean the grinder with boiling water and soap and try it without the alluminium insert for a week or two and see how it goes.

It's a huge update for me anyway, I used scissors before, and my flower is so sticky i had to clean them every week. The consistency of the grinded material even if it is just for joints, amazed me and i haven't got back to scissors.

Bravely

I’ve been a lurker of this thread, absolutely fell in love with UMG design and look so ordered one, has all of you received yours yet? I ordered mines a couple months ago no notification as of yet.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I’ve been a lurker of this thread, absolutely fell in love with UMG design and look so ordered one, has all of you received yours yet? I ordered mines a couple months ago no notification as of yet.

If you see here they are made in batches, current pre-orders won't ship for a little while, it was only a couple months ago the pre-orders from November December started to see theirs, so that should give you a sense of timing? Read the thread, and welcome to FC, check out some other threads too, why not!

Bravely

If you see here they are made in batches, current pre-orders won't ship for a little while, it was only a couple months ago the pre-orders from November December started to see theirs, so that should give you a sense of timing? Read the thread, and welcome to FC, check out some other threads too, why not!
Oh shoot, I was hoping it would be sooner But im guessing my batch is probably July/August. Guess got to wait longer. Until then got to use trusty the old Santa Cruz Shredder. Cant wait to switch to steal and have the UMG in hand. And thank you glad to join FC and will definitely check out other threads.

delta hotel

I've actually meant to post an update on mine. I'm still very happy with it and it's handled anything I put through it well enough. I've just soaked and cleaned it today as I got my hands on something that wasn't properly cured and it would have gummed up and left tracks in any grinder. That aside, it's performed well and I still love it. It's gotten remakes when others have seen it on the weight and how nice it looks. It will gum up with sticky sticky stuff, but this stuff was just too moist and sticky.

I will add that a magnet did fall out of the middle section, but I just super glued it back in, no issues. It's still my daily driver grinder.

sirwalter

Update from United Machining-

8/17/21 Update: We are working through fulfilling pre-orders from this year after many delays.

Anticipated in stock date (we are no longer doing pre-orders from here on out): Late September.

Top Bottom