• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Trying to understand "battery power"

Dynomatico

To begin with, my question might seem naive, but I am very ignorant with anything "electricity".
Scenario. Rechargeable battery fully charged. 1800mAh 18650. Turn IQ2 on and have to wait beyond the "ready" buzzing for a good 1~2 minutes passed even though the display will show the temperature is attained. While drawing, the display LEDs [1~2~3 or 4, depending on the temp] go out unless a real, meaning a very real slow draw. Not much happens. I am expecting a huge cloud but compared to some videos about the IQ2 I have watched, it is pathetic. The effects attained are very poor. I have been smoking for a very long time and do know / have experienced too many much better effects.
My question is, even if the battery is fully charged, can it be weak and not provide the power? Such power however shows on the IQ2 as the temp is correct.
I hope this makes sense... I can maybe compare it to a car that has a full tank of gas, but not running well because of a weak engine.
I have a new battery on order even though the unit is only a couple months old and will see what happens. Just thought I would ask here for me to understand better what a battery is supposed to do.
Thank You.

Dynomatico,

feralcomprehension

Qualified Observer
Oh yeah there are huge differences in 18650 cells and if yours is lame or tired it may not power your device effectively. What brand is it and where did it come from?

feralcomprehension,
Reactions: Dynomatico

Dynomatico

Oh yeah there are huge differences in 18650 cells and if yours is lame or tired it may not power your device effectively. What brand is it and where did it come from?
There is no brand associated with it. It is plain "purple" which came with the unit from Da Vinci. "lame or tired" makes sense to me even if the unit is showing it has reached temp but as I wrote above, that fact goes away, meaning those LEDs go away, while pulling.
I ordered a new one. Is this however something I can buy at Home Depot for example? I Apologize for my ignorance! I am assuming it has to be the same battery with the same specifications.
Truly appreciate your help on this.

Dynomatico,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
There is no brand associated with it. It is plain "purple" which came with the unit from Da Vinci. "lame or tired" makes sense to me even if the unit is showing it has reached temp but as I wrote above, that fact goes away, meaning those LEDs go away, while pulling.
I ordered a new one. Is this however something I can buy at Home Depot for example? I Apologize for my ignorance! I am assuming it has to be the same battery with the same specifications.
Truly appreciate your help on this.

It does not have to be the exact same battery, though that cell may work the best theoretically, you can order batteries from 18650 batterystore.com or IMR or illumn or lionwarehouse, and I'd recommend LG HG2 and HE4 as they 100% work fine in the IQ2 (usually I use the stock battery in mine because I don't use it that often, I use these batteries in other vapes, and have used them in my IQ without any issue), I'm sure other similar cells like Samsung 25R and 30Q would also work well along with Sony VTC

Dynomatico

Lots to learn here... Maybe I should stop the order with DV and order from where you are suggesting. Maybe their batteries are old. I appreciate the help. I will get to the bottom of it as I know this unit is not working as it should. Stay well.
Edit: one place is written the battery for the IQ2 is a 1800mAh 18650 and another search says 3000mAh 18650. Da Vinci's website does not indicate which one they use. Is it a matter of power "sent" or "stored"?

Last edited:
Dynomatico,

feralcomprehension

Qualified Observer
Edit: one place is written the battery for the IQ2 is a 1800mAh 18650 and another search says 3000mAh 18650. Da Vinci's website does not indicate which one they use. Is it a matter of power "sent" or "stored"?
18650 is the size, 18mmx65mm, and the mAh is the capacity (larger is better; abt 3500mAh is as large as they go).
No to home Depot, no to Amazon, yes to Ilumn; buy a known-good batt from a known-good supplier and go from there.

feralcomprehension,
Reactions: Dynomatico

ScyOne

I don't read most post, cause it's too much. But purple wrap battery with no serial numbers would be a rewrap. Only reason people rewrap is to sell low quality batteries and don't want you to know about them.

1800mAh batteries sounds like super low quality batteries too. and no information is provided on them.

Super low quality rewraps is a no go for me.

Last edited:
ScyOne,

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
These are my notes from my IQ2, included purple wrap Battery is YDL brand, similar to a Sony/Murata VTC6.

(1) - YDL 18650d - 3080mAh, 11.1WH, Chinese, Purple Wrap, (MDS sheet I was sent by rep., 3080mAh, 11.1WH) company lists only as 20A, but says device works with 10 amps, device seems to use a 3.0 voltage cutoff? NO mAh rating. (1-2021, came with Davinci IQ2)
1-21: mAh= 2917 WH= 10.5 DC IR= 30 AC IR= 10.8

I seriously doubt they are shipping 1800mAh batteries, they buy their batteries from YDL, a large Chinese battery manufacturer.

badbee

If this is your first use of the IQ2 it may not be the right vape for you, especially if you have a high tolerance. It's known as a "sipper" vape, not a big cloud producer. Don't pay attention to reviews and videos that show giant clouds, that's just marketing. There could be a problem with the battery, but from what you've said I'm wondering if it's the vape itself.

Dynomatico

18650 is the size, 18mmx65mm, and the mAh is the capacity (larger is better; abt 3500mAh is as large as they go).
No to home Depot, no to Amazon, yes to Ilumn; buy a known-good batt from a known-good supplier and go from there.

Yes, I understand now. Never knew there would be so many different batteries!
I don't read most post, cause it's too much. But purple wrap battery with no serial numbers would be a rewrap. Only reason people rewrap is to sell low quality batteries and don't want you to know about them.

1800mAh batteries sounds like super low quality batteries too. and no information is provided on them.

Super low quality rewraps is a no go for me.

I sent them an email asking them about that. It would be really deceiving if they indeed used rewraps while on the other hand manufacturing a good [and expensive product!]. I will post here their reply.

These are my notes from my IQ2, included purple wrap Battery is YDL brand, similar to a Sony/Murata VTC6.

(1) - YDL 18650d - 3080mAh, 11.1WH, Chinese, Purple Wrap, (MDS sheet I was sent by rep., 3080mAh, 11.1WH) company lists only as 20A, but says device works with 10 amps, device seems to use a 3.0 voltage cutoff? NO mAh rating. (1-2021, came with Davinci IQ2)
1-21: mAh= 2917 WH= 10.5 DC IR= 30 AC IR= 10.8

I seriously doubt they are shipping 1800mAh batteries, they buy their batteries from YDL, a large Chinese battery manufacturer.

Yes, that is my thought as I wrote above. Selling such a good product with poor batteries would be totally defeating. I think the answer lies with the next post from @badbee.

If this is your first use of the IQ2 it may not be the right vape for you, especially if you have a high tolerance. It's known as a "sipper" vape, not a big cloud producer. Don't pay attention to reviews and videos that show giant clouds, that's just marketing. There could be a problem with the battery, but from what you've said I'm wondering if it's the vape itself.

Well, your post makes a lot of sense. Read it last evening and wanted to think about it considering my usage background while inserting, yes, my high tolerance even though I only indulge in evenings. "Sipper" vape is the correct description for sure. I have always wondered how in those videos the clouds are so thick!!! And, you will be pleased to know, that at the start of one such video, the tester was honest and did say that he will be smoking "hemp", hence the big thick clouds! I was happy to hear that. There is nothing worse than leading people to a product with dishonesty. I am not after clouds for sure. There is another factor I have been thinking about. I am using the stainless steel pods and also ceramic ones. Such pods "wall/layer" is one more "obstacle" for the heat to go through and is most likely not getting the product heated as quickly as it would be without the pod. I have never tried it without a pod as at this point I will most likely sell it and wanted to keep it real clean which the pods allow such.
I have to say also that the desired result is achieved by bumping up the temp not long after using it at low temp for taste. It actually gets pretty hot, hence a silicone sleeve I have purchased.
As an old~old timer [!] when I bumped into this Forum I realized how things have changed and the so many multiple ways of usage! That is incredible to me. Really mind blowing! Kind of like I have travelled from the stone age to the present with no intermission!
I remember vividly my first experiences when I was ten at smoke outs! If you want to know its details I will reply with them. It was as they say "quite something" and probably not what you are thinking.

Thanks you "all" for your kind help.

Dynomatico,
Reactions: Goneja

cpl5938

I have 4 of those purple Davinci batteries and haven't had any issues. Having said that, the IQ2 can be a little finicky depending on pack. I use the dosage pods too and find packing them hard and then making sure the pearl is turned enough to go against the pod helps. In other words, if you shake the unit you can't hear the pod rattling around. I start on Smart Path 3 for the first few hits and then move to Smart Path 4. Good luck!

cpl5938,

ScyOne

My question is, even if the battery is fully charged, can it be weak and not provide the power?

This is quite common with under performing batteries. If it can't handle the amps being pulled, the output voltage dive down.

This happens when the battery ages and becomes weak, or that if it couldn't handle the amps in the first place.

I would suggest not getting batteries from the manufactures and go straight for the good stuff. Sony/Samsung/LG/Sanyo/Panasonic.

Device manufactures mark up batteries cause it's an additional source of income. So getting name brand will probably cost less anyways. I see DaVinci sells IQ2 batteries for $13.

My go to 18650 is Samsung 30Q, which is $6 and your not really gonna beat a Samsung 30Q in value/performance ratio.

One thing you have to keep in mind is how much amps you will need. 18650's run from like 5a to 30a

Dynomatico

This is quite common with under performing batteries. If it can't handle the amps being pulled, the output voltage dive down.

This happens when the battery ages and becomes weak, or that if it couldn't handle the amps in the first place.

I would suggest not getting batteries from the manufactures and go straight for the good stuff. Sony/Samsung/LG/Sanyo/Panasonic.

Device manufactures mark up batteries cause it's an additional source of income. So getting name brand will probably cost less anyways. I see DaVinci sells IQ2 batteries for $13.

My go to 18650 is Samsung 30Q, which is $6 and your not really gonna beat a Samsung 30Q in value/performance ratio.

One thing you have to keep in mind is how much amps you will need. 18650's run from like 5a to 30a
That is one answer which I was exactly wondering. "can't handle the amps pulled". As when pulling those "battery LED lights" go out and only come back with a very slow draw one by one. Definitely not full by the end of the draw. Yes, I will order a new battery as you are mentioning. I appreciate your feedback and noted/filed. Stay well.
Edit: just ordered a couple. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Dynomatico,

Vaporware

Just a couple of notes to add to what everyone else said:

1: There are a lot of counterfeit 18650s out there. That’s the reason you should only order them from trusted sources and not some random place on amazon, etc.

2. Pods/capsules generally reduce performance. I don’t have an IQ2, but if I’d only used my DaVinci Ascent with the pod things it came with I’m not sure I ever would have been happy with it.

Especially as someone with a high tolerance, I think it’s worth trying flower straight on the oven before making a final judgement on it. If you have 91% isopropyl alcohol or even everclear or something you should be able to clean it up like new.

Either way a session or 2 that you dump quickly and maybe clean up with a q-tip if you’re worried shouldn’t get the oven too dirty.

Or if you‘re already sure you want something harder hitting. You could just sell it on and get some better recommendations for your needs.

Shit Snacks

Yeah and for stuff specifically about the IQ2 best to go here:

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: Vaporware

Dynomatico

Just a couple of notes to add to what everyone else said:

1: There are a lot of counterfeit 18650s out there. That’s the reason you should only order them from trusted sources and not some random place on amazon, etc.

2. Pods/capsules generally reduce performance. I don’t have an IQ2, but if I’d only used my DaVinci Ascent with the pod things it came with I’m not sure I ever would have been happy with it.

Especially as someone with a high tolerance, I think it’s worth trying flower straight on the oven before making a final judgement on it. If you have 91% isopropyl alcohol or even everclear or something you should be able to clean it up like new.

Either way a session or 2 that you dump quickly and maybe clean up with a q-tip if you’re worried shouldn’t get the oven too dirty.

Or if you‘re already sure you want something harder hitting. You could just sell it on and get some better recommendations for your needs.
Thank You.
Yes, makes much sense. I know I am going to end up selling it. A Firefly 2+ arrived today and will see how that goes. Yes, real, meaning real slow draws!

Yeah and for stuff specifically about the IQ2 best to go here:

Thank You. Appreciate.

Dynomatico,
Reactions: Vaporware

Shit Snacks

Thank You.
Yes, makes much sense. I know I am going to end up selling it. A Firefly 2+ arrived today and will see how that goes. Yes, real, meaning real slow draws!

Thank You. Appreciate.

When you're unsatisfied with the FF2+ I'd recommend checking out the tinymight btw (I have all three of these, the TM is by far my favorite, compared to most others as well!)

Shit Snacks,

ScyOne

Yea, counterfeit is a huge problem, I've gotten them before from a brick and mortar store even.

I buy all my batteries from www.18650batterystore.com and their parent site www.bulkbattery.com

Super legit and I never seen prices lower elsewhere. They refresh stock a lot, so no worry about old ass batteries, these are fresh from factory haha.

ScyOne,

DJLocks

Thank You.
For sure, the draw speed matters so much. It varies from vape to vape but with most portables you want it slow and maybe even giving it time between hits to heat back up. Slower draw = hotter herb = bigger clouds (usually).

One of the things I love most about vapes and vaping is how much more you get out of your devices as you learn each one and hone your technique. Even with super simple portables you're in control of the experience far more than you realize. This means you can F*ck it up too! :D

On that note, if you're newish to vaping I really recommend dropping a little cash on a base model Dynavap. It will seem like a pretty big hassle and maybe even a bit scary compared to the IQ and Firefly. But, it puts you in complete control of the experience and allows you to really see how all the variables come into play... Just be ready to combust when you're pushing it too hard, happens to everyone eventually and it'll remind you why you don't do it on purpose anymore :p

Dynomatico

For sure, the draw speed matters so much. It varies from vape to vape but with most portables you want it slow and maybe even giving it time between hits to heat back up. Slower draw = hotter herb = bigger clouds (usually).

One of the things I love most about vapes and vaping is how much more you get out of your devices as you learn each one and hone your technique. Even with super simple portables you're in control of the experience far more than you realize. This means you can F*ck it up too! :D

On that note, if you're newish to vaping I really recommend dropping a little cash on a base model Dynavap. It will seem like a pretty big hassle and maybe even a bit scary compared to the IQ and Firefly. But, it puts you in complete control of the experience and allows you to really see how all the variables come into play... Just be ready to combust when you're pushing it too hard, happens to everyone eventually and it'll remind you why you don't do it on purpose anymore :p

Thanks for your thoughts.

Actually, now that I think about it, yes, fairly new to vaping while I used combustion/induction machinery, of course "paper" and started with "drop a big chunk of hash on ambers in a closed up tent". [life with the Bedouins, definition of a real smoke out!].

I do like the FF2+ by the way. The "on demand" convection is wonderful. The taste is there. Such a simple device!

Coincidentally I have been looking at a Dynavap for a while now, their new "M" model of course not as good as their "Titanium" model but one has to start somewhere. Will probably get one soon. Have to space myself!!! As far as "hassle", it is not, not for me. I am not a daytime smoker, retired and enjoy fiddling with "things"!!!

Never in my wildest dreams years ago ever thought I would live somewhere [New Mexico] where I could just walk in a Dispensary and pick and choose what I desire to buy! It is still mind boggling for me.

Stay well

Top Bottom