• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Trillian's Journey

Trillian

Hi everyone, I am new to FC. I'm a mostly medical, sometimes recreational Canadian cannabis user. I tried cannabis for the first time around 2019, after Canada legalized. I don't have any cannabis community, so I have a lot of questions saved up.

I got a Dynavap M (2019 ) for my vaporizer because I have asthma and it seemed less likely to irritate my lungs than many other options, since there's no plastics or electronics. I also like that it's known for its vapor quality, build quality, and detailing. Aside from burning your flower, are there right ways and wrong ways to use your Dynavap? Or is it just a choice of style?

I treat it like sipping a glass of wine. I tend to use loosely packed flower and a single-flame torch set to a low flame, and usually get 6-12 heat cycles out of one bowl before it's too toasted. The vapor is often barely visible and I rarely notice any heat. If I do a bunch of heat cycles in a row, the vapor can tickle in the back of my nose, or make me cough, so then I let it cool before any more puffs. It could be doing slow damage, but I don't notice any difference in breathing after a session.

But when I look at reviews and posts about the Dynavap, there's a lot of talk about thick milky hits, getting full extraction in 3 cycles or less, and how much better the vapor is through a water piece. As a woman, it all seems a little macho, sometimes even Freudian. What's so appealing about thick milky hits? Is fast extraction better aside from its speed? Does a water piece actually improve the feeling or effect?

I have a couple of glass stems, which give better flavour than the steel parts did. I also bought a Grav Labs Spherical Pocket Bubbler but it doesn't seem to do much paired with the Dynavap and my heating style. I had hoped it would give the same effect as I get on the first humid hit after cleaning my Dynavap. You know when the tip has just a touch of water left on the inside, but not enough to wet the flower, and it tastes and feels really nice compared to usual? That's what I wanted. I don't know if that's just not what water pieces do, or whether I have the wrong technique or wrong size/type of piece. I'd like to know more about this too.

coolbreeze

Or is it just a choice of style?

I treat it like sipping a glass of wine.
Totally legit usage; many are 'flavor chasers'. I don't doubt there's a little 'macho' thrillseeking mixed in with the drive toward the 'big hit' , but of course it's also about the quick rush of relief for those using it medically, as well as being able to enjoy chemicals that only come through at higher temps. Water pieces are often used to make giant hits possible, but even normal-sized hits can benefit from the cooling (some people find the water unnecessary for this) and, as you've noted, the moisturizing effects, as many vapes feel 'dry' (some people like warm water for this). I'm not sure this would help, but a small recycler with good action might feel more humid.

In any case, welcome and enjoy!

Last edited:

fogbank

What's so appealing about thick milky hits? Is fast extraction better aside from its speed?
For me, "thick milky hits" mean faster extraction and a quicker vape session. I am not a leisurely vaporist. I don't sit and sip on my vapes. I like short sessions that get me where I want to be. Being able to extract a full bowl in 3-4 hits is my goal.

Trillian

Totally legit usage; many are 'flavor chasers'. I don't doubt there's a little 'macho' thrillseeking mixed in with the drive toward the 'big hit' , but of course it's also about the quick rush of relief for those using it medically, as well as being able to enjoy chemicals that only come through at higher temps. Water pieces are often used to make giant hits possible, but even normal-sized hits can benefit from the cooling (some people find the water unnecessary for this) and, as you've noted, the moisturizing effects, as many vapes feel 'dry' (some people like warm water for this). I'm not sure this would help, but a small recycler with good action might feel more humid.

In any case, welcome and enjoy!
It's nice to hear from a few people that I'm welcome. :)

Not having any local cannabis buddies is pretty damn lonely, but another downside is that I can't try out anything new without buying all my own kit. :( It probably wouldn't be fair to the stores to buy something, try it, and then clean and return it if it didn't work out. I suppose I could write to a few stores that carry a lot of Dynavap accessories and see if one will do some research for me. :)

I don't see how or when I'm going to get any cannabis buddies. I'm not that good at meeting and befriending new people even in the best of situations, which a pandemic is not, and based on what I read and hear in podcasts and articles, cannabis enthusiasts meet each other by smoking, which I can't do or be near. I don't know what my friends think about the topic, and it feels like a very personal and risky thing to bring up since taking up cannabis is way out of character for me. (I understand so many more jokes now that I have learned a lot of weed slang trying to figure this stuff out alone.) I just don't know how to handle it. Sorry to be a downer. It's been a long day and I'm tired.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
It's nice to hear from a few people that I'm welcome. :)

Not having any local cannabis buddies is pretty damn lonely, but another downside is that I can't try out anything new without buying all my own kit. :( It probably wouldn't be fair to the stores to buy something, try it, and then clean and return it if it didn't work out. I suppose I could write to a few stores that carry a lot of Dynavap accessories and see if one will do some research for me. :)

I don't see how or when I'm going to get any cannabis buddies. I'm not that good at meeting and befriending new people even in the best of situations, which a pandemic is not, and based on what I read and hear in podcasts and articles, cannabis enthusiasts meet each other by smoking, which I can't do or be near. I don't know what my friends think about the topic, and it feels like a very personal and risky thing to bring up since taking up cannabis is way out of character for me. (I understand so many more jokes now that I have learned a lot of weed slang trying to figure this stuff out alone.) I just don't know how to handle it. Sorry to be a downer. It's been a long day and I'm tired.
If you don't have a few local bud who indulge the "hobby" can be a little lonely. I have been consuming cannabis regularly since high school in about 1969. Many of my compatriots gave it up along the way as they "grew up" and had families and "serious" jobs that precluded cannabis consumption for various reasons. I never gave it up, tho there were times that I wasn't a daily smoker. My consumption went up and down during that time (of course) but there was always some around. The BIG change happened in 2014, when I found this forum and switched to vaping full time. That was when it changed from a way of getting buzzed to a hobby that included all the accoutrements that comes along with vaping. While I always had a bong or a water pipe, and various hand pipes (often made of lamp parts) and of course a dugout, all I needed back then was rolling papers and those could be found anywhere. Vaping, as you are finding out, is a whole different deal, and while it CAN be done simply (like a DV M) I have found that much of the fun has been in the variety of ways it can be consumed, therefore a hobby arose from the desire for an inebriate that didn't make me feel stupid like alcohol did. I have invested way more in equipment in the last 8 years than if the whole previous 40+ years of consuming. And I learned about almost all of it right here in this forum, where I have developed buds that are almost like local ones that I can talk to and learn from about all the stuff I was missing as a combuster.

So that was all to get to this point. I don't know where in the country you are, or even if you are here in the USA, but the move towards legalization here has changed the game somewhat. Here is Illinois which just went legal 2 years ago and is still learning the ropes, there is a move towards cannabis lounges, and once that happens I think the opportunity to consume with others will open up the knowledge base that has been a mostly underground one into something public where folks may be able to try different devices (and strains) out before committing to purchase them. This can only be a good thing for folks, especially those new to the miracle of cannabis.
I hope you are in a place where you can take advantage of this relatively new concept that may help you make decisions as to what you may like to try and what direction you want to go. If you are not in such a place, this is a great forum full of wonderful sharing people who will help you any way we can on your voyage of discovery.
Welcome to FC.

Last edited:

coolbreeze

and while it CAN be done simply (like a DV M) I have found that much of the fun has been in the variety of ways it can be consumed
Fwiw and not to derail, there's been a fun competition amongst the grayhairs on r/vaporents around ad hoc convection vaping. Pretty hilarious and very creative.

If I may add to your actual point, Cyberguy, it's also probable, Trillian, that there are smokers among the folks you know who are being discreet, perhaps even because they believe that you are not on board. I wouldn't be surprised if some may be relieved to learn that you 'smoke' too, so you have that to share together as well. Ask the likely suspects!

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I think most people who don’t like them just haven’t found the right combination for themselves.
I tend to agree with this idea. Some folks take a while to adjust to the VC method and a bad VC hit can be unpleasant. That being said I'm sure there are those who get a proper hit and still don't like VCs. I have 10 or more of them (and a Revolve on order) and a couple IHs by Pipes and several of my VCs are regular parts of my vape rotation. Most of my VCs are fully DynaVap, but the tip and cap are the heart of the company (to me) and work perfectly well with stems made by others.
But when I look at reviews and posts about the Dynavap, there's a lot of talk about thick milky hits, getting full extraction in 3 cycles or less, and how much better the vapor is through a water piece. As a woman, it all seems a little macho, sometimes even Freudian. What's so appealing about thick milky hits? Is fast extraction better aside from its speed? Does a water piece actually improve the feeling or effect?
You don't want hits to too wispy, but I happen to be a believer that any vapor I exhale is wasted so very thick milky hits may be satisfying visually but they don't necessarily make you any higher. The reason I use a water piece most of the time is to make the hits cooler and more humidified, and that is better for my old lungs. I am much less likely to cough when using water, unless I am taking dense milky hits.
If I may add to your actual point, Cyberguy, it's also probable, Trillian, that there are smokers among the folks you know who are being discreet, perhaps even because they believe that you are not on board. I wouldn't be surprised if some may be relieved to learn that you 'smoke' too, so you have that to share together as well. Ask the likely suspects!
@coolbreeze has this exactly right. As an example while somewhat off topic, you may have heard of CHS (Cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome) which is a malady that some long term heavy cannabis users have experienced. Until a year or 2 ago you could count the numbers of verified sufferers of this malady on one hand. Now that people feel free to tell their doctors and emergency room staff about their cannabis use, all of a sudden there are hundreds (maybe thousands) of people who may be experiencing this problem. There are many, many more cannabis users out there than anyone thought, and many are long term users like myself.
Fwiw and not to derail, there's been a fun competition amongst the grayhairs on r/vaporents around ad hoc convection vaping. Pretty hilarious and very creative.
I may go over there and take a look, but somehow I always feel like I am slumming when I go over to Reddit...

Trillian

* also waves back at @The Stray Fox, @Mushroomturtle and @Vape_Or_Die420 *

For me, "thick milky hits" mean faster extraction and a quicker vape session. I am not a leisurely vaporist. I don't sit and sip on my vapes. I like short sessions that get me where I want to be. Being able to extract a full bowl in 3-4 hits is my goal.

I'm not dissing speed -- sometimes we all need our medicine NOW. :) It's nice to know that in this case, I didn't miss something important, but made the trade-off I meant to make.

Trillian

If you don't have a few local bud who indulge the "hobby" can be a little lonely. I have been consuming cannabis regularly since high school in about 1969. Many of my compatriots gave it up along the way as they "grew up" and had families and "serious" jobs that precluded cannabis consumption for various reasons. I never gave it up, tho there were times that I wasn't a daily smoker. My consumption went up and down during that time (of course) but there was always some around. The BIG change happened in 2014, when I found this forum and switched to vaping full time. That was when it changed from a way of getting buzzed to a hobby that included all the accoutrements that comes along with vaping. While I always had a bong or a water pipe, and various hand pipes (often made of lamp parts) and of course a dugout, all I needed back then was rolling papers and those could be found anywhere. Vaping, as you are finding out, is a whole different deal, and while it CAN be done simply (like a DV M) I have found that much of the fun has been in the variety of ways it can be consumed, therefore a hobby arose from the desire for an inebriate that didn't make me feel stupid like alcohol did. I have invested way more in equipment in the last 8 years than if the whole previous 40+ years of consuming. And I learned about almost all of it right here in this forum, where I have developed buds that are almost like local ones that I can talk to and learn from about all the stuff I was missing as a combuster.

So that was all to get to this point. I don't know where in the country you are, or even if you are here in the USA, but the move towards legalization here has changed the game somewhat. Here is Illinois which just went legal 2 years ago and is still learning the ropes, there is a move towards cannabis lounges, and once that happens I think the opportunity to consume with others will open up the knowledge base that has been a mostly underground one into something public where folks may be able to try different devices (and strains) out before committing to purchase them. This can only be a good thing for folks, especially those new to the miracle of cannabis.
I hope you are in a place where you can take advantage of this relatively new concept that may help you make decisions as to what you may like to try and what direction you want to go. If you are not in such a place, this is a great forum full of wonderful sharing people who will help you any way we can on your voyage of discovery.
Welcome to FC.

I live in Ontario, Canada. We have medical marijuana by mail-order, retail and online stores for recreational (same producers, but different brands and product names), but no legal consumption lounges as yet. There are almost a dozen legal pot shops within a 10-block walk, one run-down grey market hookah lounge, and more restaurants than I can count. The first few pleasant, legal, non-smoking cannabis lounges around here will probably make a mint.

The variety of every kind of cannabis gear is bewildering. Hell, cannabis culture in general is bewildering, at least for me. There are so many new ideas and feelings and words to learn that are not well defined. Shared assumptions that don't get explained. But there are also things the old guard expect to be complicated, that can be easy now. Such as dosing: I read the label and do a little simple math. (It's even simpler with a 0.1g or 0.05g chamber.) Even if I made edibles from scratch, I could at least get close to my intended dose per item so long as I started with labelled, tested flower, because I'd already know the maximum possible dose was X mg. I don't have to worry about getting much too high unless I start taking edibles from strangers.

Because of having asthma since 4th grade, I already know what not breathing feels like. It's the best smoking prevention in the world -- I have not smoked, will not smoke, and avoid spending time near smoke. When I went got my first degree, indoor smoking was still legal in bars and clubs, and I missed out on so many events and possible friends because I could not breathe the smoky air. I also failed to develop a taste for alcohol. I would love to finally have a shared social lubricant, but it's got to be non-smoking. :)

I'd be more surprised if there weren't any cannabis enthusiasts or psychonauts. I just don't have any clues who they are, because these are are all very smart people with a lot of quirks and a lot of practice hiding them. In the past, there's no indoor smoking of anything, no telltale smells, no "special" foods, no strange memories that finally make sense now that I can recognize a bong and know some weed slang. It would have been obvious that I was the wrong person to invite to parties with those kinds of mood-altering substances. But now that I might catch a hint, there are no parties or visits for hints to occur at. :(

Obviously I'd rather that they hint and I hint back. Next best is a subtle, casual indication (which are not my forte) that things are a little different now. But I've gotten so isolated during this stupid pandemic that I have mostly forgotten how to do human contact, let alone subtle, casual indications on possibly sensitive topics.

jabba

Hi everyone, I am new to FC. I'm a mostly medical, sometimes recreational Canadian cannabis user. I tried cannabis for the first time around 2019, after Canada legalized. I don't have any cannabis community, so I have a lot of questions saved up.

I got a Dynavap M (2019 ) for my vaporizer because I have asthma and it seemed less likely to irritate my lungs than many other options, since there's no plastics or electronics. I also like that it's known for its vapor quality, build quality, and detailing. Aside from burning your flower, are there right ways and wrong ways to use your Dynavap? Or is it just a choice of style?

I treat it like sipping a glass of wine. I tend to use loosely packed flower and a single-flame torch set to a low flame, and usually get 6-12 heat cycles out of one bowl before it's too toasted. The vapor is often barely visible and I rarely notice any heat. If I do a bunch of heat cycles in a row, the vapor can tickle in the back of my nose, or make me cough, so then I let it cool before any more puffs. It could be doing slow damage, but I don't notice any difference in breathing after a session.

I have a couple of glass stems, which give better flavour than the steel parts did. I also bought a Grav Labs Spherical Pocket Bubbler but it doesn't seem to do much paired with the Dynavap and my heating style. I had hoped it would give the same effect as I get on the first humid hit after cleaning my Dynavap. You know when the tip has just a touch of water left on the inside, but not enough to wet the flower, and it tastes and feels really nice compared to usual? That's what I wanted. I don't know if that's just not what water pieces do, or whether I have the wrong technique or wrong size/type of piece. I'd like to know more about this too.

Welcome! I read this and your other posts. I gotta give you an award for being an adventurer! Kudos! As a 50 year old guy who has been around MJ culture for about 35 years...I seldom contemplated a perspective such as yours and found it very interesting. I'm certain that you will 'find your way' and there will be plenty of opinions and perspectives here at FC...perhaps even a few facts lol!
Firstly...there is no right/wrong way for you to enjoy your cannabis. That machismo that you sensed?....yup....you nailed that one. During my more recreational youth we did all kinds of craaaazy things with our MJ....6 foot tall Grafix bongs and even dumber things too. Remember there are young and old alike on this forum....each with differing perspectives, wants, and needs. This 'milky' language that you hear is two-fold methinks: (1) it describes an ability to get almost 'smoke like' hits without combustion and/or (2) it refers to a hard hitting and quick extraction of herbs. While there are certainly many 'hard hitters' here on FC...this is not necessarily 'the way' for everyone. Wispy/light hits can more gracefully and slowly medicate the less experienced AND thick vapor (milky) may not be best for an asthmatic. Some have the free time or inclination to enjoy a lasting 'session' while others wish to quickly medicate and be on their way. You do you!...and though via differing methods both can bring you to the same place. You aren't missing anything at all!
Given your asthma condition(s) combined with your propensity to mathematically predict your dosage(s) and desire to not become 'too high'...milky hits may not be 'the way' for you. This is perfectly ok. You can liken this to sipping a bit of scotch (wispy) vs. taking a shot of scotch (milky). Sipping is safer both given your health condition and to ensure that you do not become 'too high'.
The dynavap is an excellent tool for microdosing and is highly efficient....thus it is currently my tool of choice. You may put as little herb as you wish or you may fill the chamber too. You may lightly roast high atop the cap for a wispy hit or you may torch lower down the cap for more vapor. You may take one hit and leave the remainder for another session tomorrow...or even for a session the following week if you so desire. I have certainly found that vapor is easier on the lungs when compared to smoking (as you apparently have as well) but I cannot speak to vapor's potential impacts upon your particular health conditions.
If you wish to explore the never ending varieties of materials and tools available to you then feel free....but you are not obligated. I personally find it fascinating while others are completely bored by it. You needn't know/learn all the current or historical slang (and there is a LOT lol) to enjoy yourself. Find some herbs and tools/utencils that you prefer for YOUR way. Remember that there is NO wrong way to enjoy. My old buddies would be shocked to learn how very little material I now consume. Although I partake quite frequently, I do so in quite small doses. I even regularly combine my herbs with 50% CBD or CBD flower which further 'cuts' or lowers the intensity....while at other times I may use straight MJ for a stronger dose. You quickly learn what is a good amount/quantity for you whether it be for recreation or therapeutic. In my experience only trial and error can teach you this.....you simply cannot know with any certainty that which you have never personally experienced....although you clearly have already learned the general framework/dosage(s). For me as a generally impatient and occasionally anxious person...I find now that low doses make me more relaxed and pliable. It has become less recreational and more medicinal for me these days. Others wants or needs may differ wildly....as do individual tolerances. You are well on your way to finding 'yours' and I give you heaps of credit for your initiative.
If I may ever answer any question(s) for you I would be more than pleased to attempt an assist.

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Next best is a subtle, casual indication (which are not my forte) that things are a little different now. But I've gotten so isolated during this stupid pandemic that I have mostly forgotten how to do human contact, let alone subtle, casual indications on possibly sensitive topics.
I have a friend who wore some cannabis leaf earings to work one day to sniff out the initiated. It worked for her.

whatitdew

Vapes R Great
I do the dazed and confused “you cool, man?” Approach, haha.

I’ve met a lot of old school smokers over the years in the Pacific NorthWest.
like just being out with a friend in a park and then some guy biking by “smells what’s cooking“, rolls over and pulls out a tuberware full of weed.

Nowadays with the vapes and dynavaps,I’m always get the “is that e-cig or cannabis?”

whatitdew,

coolbreeze

I'm not sure there's a better way than your wet bowl method, tbh, since water usually costs some flavor. But, maybe a BB3 and an MJ Arsenal micro rig? They're built for flavor. Or, one of your glass stems w/ a titanium tip and low-temp cap, a classic flavor machine. You could go half-bowl and just repack more often, as smaller bowls=more first and second flavor hits!

Edit: Not that you should give up your 19M. I'd hold on to it. Forever.

I’m always get the “is that e-cig or cannabis?”
"Are you asking me if I'm cool, man?"

I've gotten so isolated during this stupid pandemic that I have mostly forgotten how to do human contact
Ironically, in this you are not alone!

Shoot! Mods, could these be combined? Time for bed for some of us!

Last edited:

Trillian

I do the dazed and confused “you cool, man?” Approach, haha.

I’ve met a lot of old school smokers over the years in the Pacific NorthWest.
like just being out with a friend in a park and then some guy biking by “smells what’s cooking“, rolls over and pulls out a tuberware full of weed.

Nowadays with the vapes and dynavaps,I’m always get the “is that e-cig or cannabis?”
This is exactly the kind of hint I was not equipped to catch in my youth, and still wouldn't have caught today. The only thing I know about Dazed and Confused is the name. My parents tried to keep any pop culture from after ~1950 from entering the house and largely succeeded. I've been catching up on former contraband media ever since I moved out.

Once I tried to vape my CBD flower at the boring end of a local park, the furthest away I could get from the play structure. I got such dirty looks from the moms at the other end. I don't know if it simply looked bad from a distance, or whether I missed some "no smoking" signage because I'd gone through a gap in the fence instead of the main entry.

coolbreeze

I got such dirty looks from the moms
Trillian to moms, "You uncool, man?"

Sorry for making light, but I just hafta laugh because we actually used "You cool, man?" constantly. And it used to work! Been a long time and much water (vapor) under that bridge. Maybe you should try it if you see usual suspects of the graybeard set!

Anyhow, we're here to help (and to fool around). Glad you're here with us.

Last edited:

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
“I think one of your friends was smoking a weed…”

Once passed back from a friend who heard from his co-worker after we randomly met up with him outside of work. Disinformation and insular thinking, but I think even people who were brainwashed by Reefer Madness generally see it as not a big deal nowadays.

whatitdew

Vapes R Great
This is exactly the kind of hint I was not equipped to catch in my youth, and still wouldn't have caught today. The only thing I know about Dazed and Confused is the name. My parents tried to keep any pop culture from after ~1950 from entering the house and largely succeeded. I've been catching up on former contraband media ever since I moved out.

Once I tried to vape my CBD flower at the boring end of a local park, the furthest away I could get from the play structure. I got such dirty looks from the moms at the other end. I don't know if it simply looked bad from a distance, or whether I missed some "no smoking" signage because I'd gone through a gap in the fence instead of the main entry.

haha yeah I try to avoid the parks that have kid playgrounds, less Karen’s and alpha moms… but usually more homeless or generally crazy peeps, lol

One little park I always frequent is like a designated smoking park, everybody smokes there but nobody ever gets any hassle from by-law officers.

I use to be concerned about the look of using vape or Dynavap style in public, but since legalization I started to just be totally open about it. Just try to keep it away from young children and all that.
I learned to walk down the street and heat my vapcap at the same time while not getting burned or running into anybody:sherlock:

Trillian

Welcome! I read this and your other posts. I gotta give you an award for being an adventurer! Kudos! As a 50 year old guy who has been around MJ culture for about 35 years...I seldom contemplated a perspective such as yours and found it very interesting. I'm certain that you will 'find your way' and there will be plenty of opinions and perspectives here at FC...perhaps even a few facts lol!
Firstly...there is no right/wrong way for you to enjoy your cannabis. That machismo that you sensed?....yup....you nailed that one. During my more recreational youth we did all kinds of craaaazy things with our MJ....6 foot tall Grafix bongs and even dumber things too. Remember there are young and old alike on this forum....each with differing perspectives, wants, and needs. This 'milky' language that you hear is two-fold methinks: (1) it describes an ability to get almost 'smoke like' hits without combustion and/or (2) it refers to a hard hitting and quick extraction of herbs. While there are certainly many 'hard hitters' here on FC...this is not necessarily 'the way' for everyone. Wispy/light hits can more gracefully and slowly medicate the less experienced AND thick vapor (milky) may not be best for an asthmatic. Some have the free time or inclination to enjoy a lasting 'session' while others wish to quickly medicate and be on their way. You do you!...and though via differing methods both can bring you to the same place. You aren't missing anything at all!
Given your asthma condition(s) combined with your propensity to mathematically predict your dosage(s) and desire to not become 'too high'...milky hits may not be 'the way' for you. This is perfectly ok. You can liken this to sipping a bit of scotch (wispy) vs. taking a shot of scotch (milky). Sipping is safer both given your health condition and to ensure that you do not become 'too high'.
The dynavap is an excellent tool for microdosing and is highly efficient....thus it is currently my tool of choice. You may put as little herb as you wish or you may fill the chamber too. You may lightly roast high atop the cap for a wispy hit or you may torch lower down the cap for more vapor. You may take one hit and leave the remainder for another session tomorrow...or even for a session the following week if you so desire. I have certainly found that vapor is easier on the lungs when compared to smoking (as you apparently have as well) but I cannot speak to vapor's potential impacts upon your particular health conditions.
If you wish to explore the never ending varieties of materials and tools available to you then feel free....but you are not obligated. I personally find it fascinating while others are completely bored by it. You needn't know/learn all the current or historical slang (and there is a LOT lol) to enjoy yourself. Find some herbs and tools/utencils that you prefer for YOUR way. Remember that there is NO wrong way to enjoy. My old buddies would be shocked to learn how very little material I now consume. Although I partake quite frequently, I do so in quite small doses. I even regularly combine my herbs with 50% CBD or CBD flower which further 'cuts' or lowers the intensity....while at other times I may use straight MJ for a stronger dose. You quickly learn what is a good amount/quantity for you whether it be for recreation or therapeutic. In my experience only trial and error can teach you this.....you simply cannot know with any certainty that which you have never personally experienced....although you clearly have already learned the general framework/dosage(s). For me as a generally impatient and occasionally anxious person...I find now that low doses make me more relaxed and pliable. It has become less recreational and more medicinal for me these days. Others wants or needs may differ wildly....as do individual tolerances. You are well on your way to finding 'yours' and I give you heaps of credit for your initiative.
If I may ever answer any question(s) for you I would be more than pleased to attempt an assist.

Hi Jabba, that's a nice way to think of it, as my being an adventurer with initiative! You guys go on having fun with the macho stuff and innuendos. :-) I just wish it was more common for the content producers doing it to admit that they are. ;-) For me the tools are only interesting up to a point, but I love learning about the science and medicinal aspects, and the history of cannabis. It is a direct connection between me and so many different times, places, peoples, and beliefs from prehistory to today. Examples include Scythian princesses, ancient Chinese doctors, Hindu mystics and philosophers since around 2000 BCE, and Queen Victoria.

From my perspective, several things came together around the same time. Legalization happened, and I'd never tried marijuana, so I was curious what all the fuss was about. I was also not satisfied with my mental health meds, so after I saw some of material about the potential of CBD for my conditions, I wanted to do some experiments on that too. The CBD oil plus flower for quick relief works better than the previous meds, with fewer side effects, and it's more flexible in changing and stressful conditions. The THC and balanced products help me relax or sleep more than I possibly could on my own. The Dynavap having a small bowl and on-demand heating are benefits for me -- my THC tolerance is rather low, and sometimes I microdose too. I'll have to get an adjustable tip sometime.

Most of the daytime use is purely medical and matter-of-fact, especially since I need a clear head to do my job well. But for evenings, weekends, and holidays, mixing in some THC and slowing down and enjoying the effects -- recreation -- is also medicinal for someone like me. People making content sometimes say that all cannabis use is for wellness, but I haven't found online resources or groups that get into the nitty-gritty of a treatment plan like mine, whether it's homegrown or came from a clinic.

The focus on dosage might seem a little uptight, but things turned out this well for me because I did my homework before diving in, and followed boring but sensible advice like "go low and slow". Knowing what and how much I'm taking lets me feel safe and in control, and I end up somewhere near the kind and level of high I wanted to have instead of greened-out. That might appeal to other new users too.

If you happen to know any Canadian MJ clinics specializing in mental health, or where the mental health medical MJ patients hang out online, please pass that along. :-) I'm moving the sliders on my endocannabinoid system by hand because its software is buggy, so it'd be awfully nice to have others doing the same to talk to. Or locals to swap spare flower with! There are no in-person medical dispensaries here. Instead the system expects you to buy flower from catalog descriptions, scent unsmelled, in 5g and larger units -- or a 1g preroll, on a good day. I expected trial and error to find cultivars that suit me, but not to have enough misfit product that I could throw "open stash" parties or weed bake sales, you know?

StringTheorista

I love learning about the science and medicinal aspects, and the history of cannabis. It is a direct connection between me and so many different times, places, peoples, and beliefs from prehistory to today. Examples include Scythian princesses, ancient Chinese doctors, Hindu mystics and philosophers since around 2000 BCE, and Queen Victoria.
If you don’t already know about it, the podcast “Great Moments in Weed History” tells some great stories, in an entertaining way (less focused on the ancient history, but still fun). Here’s an example:

jabba

Hi Jabba, that's a nice way to think of it, as my being an adventurer with initiative! You guys go on having fun with the macho stuff and innuendos. :-) I just wish it was more common for the content producers doing it to admit that they are. ;-) For me the tools are only interesting up to a point, but I love learning about the science and medicinal aspects, and the history of cannabis. It is a direct connection between me and so many different times, places, peoples, and beliefs from prehistory to today. Examples include Scythian princesses, ancient Chinese doctors, Hindu mystics and philosophers since around 2000 BCE, and Queen Victoria.

From my perspective, several things came together around the same time. Legalization happened, and I'd never tried marijuana, so I was curious what all the fuss was about. I was also not satisfied with my mental health meds, so after I saw some of material about the potential of CBD for my conditions, I wanted to do some experiments on that too. The CBD oil plus flower for quick relief works better than the previous meds, with fewer side effects, and it's more flexible in changing and stressful conditions. The THC and balanced products help me relax or sleep more than I possibly could on my own. The Dynavap having a small bowl and on-demand heating are benefits for me -- my THC tolerance is rather low, and sometimes I microdose too. I'll have to get an adjustable tip sometime.

Most of the daytime use is purely medical and matter-of-fact, especially since I need a clear head to do my job well. But for evenings, weekends, and holidays, mixing in some THC and slowing down and enjoying the effects -- recreation -- is also medicinal for someone like me. People making content sometimes say that all cannabis use is for wellness, but I haven't found online resources or groups that get into the nitty-gritty of a treatment plan like mine, whether it's homegrown or came from a clinic.

The focus on dosage might seem a little uptight, but things turned out this well for me because I did my homework before diving in, and followed boring but sensible advice like "go low and slow". Knowing what and how much I'm taking lets me feel safe and in control, and I end up somewhere near the kind and level of high I wanted to have instead of greened-out. That might appeal to other new users too.

If you happen to know any Canadian MJ clinics specializing in mental health, or where the mental health medical MJ patients hang out online, please pass that along. :-) I'm moving the sliders on my endocannabinoid system by hand because its software is buggy, so it'd be awfully nice to have others doing the same to talk to. Or locals to swap spare flower with! There are no in-person medical dispensaries here. Instead the system expects you to buy flower from catalog descriptions, scent unsmelled, in 5g and larger units -- or a 1g preroll, on a good day. I expected trial and error to find cultivars that suit me, but not to have enough misfit product that I could throw "open stash" parties or weed bake sales, you know?
I'm not much on machismo or innuendo...that ship has sailed lol. I don't think that you are being particularly 'uptight' about dosage(s) and it seems only natural given (what I know of) your circumstances to be cautious. I wish that I could be more helpful in this respect but I am afraid that for decades I have mostly 'flown by the seat of my pants' as it relates to cannabis. Pre legalization we didn't know much about strength or strain although quality was often evident. We couldn't be particularly choosy....we bought what was available at the time. A broad knowledge base undoubtedly came from these experiences, however, this type of knowledge is not entirely simple to 'pass on' to others. Despite the prevalence of countless options, laboratory testing of materials, strains that include hybrids, and any host of other factors.....NO ONE can know how these cannabinoids will impact YOU....except for (wait for it)....You! There is a certain amount of experimentation that MUST be involved. Simple individual trial and error is often the best way. Given your curious nature and merely by the fact that you have posted here, I am quite certain that you will find others who share a similar interest and who can provide you with sound information about tools, materials, and techniques that best suit your needs.
My (decades long) partner who is not averse to cannabis also displays no interest in the use of cannabis. She can observe the positive impacts as it relates to my use(s) and is curious if not envious at times. Despite this, she is unwilling to partake. Obviously this decision is entirely hers. Her unwillingness is no doubt due to some decades old experience(s) that continue to cast a shadow in her mind. Your cautious dosing is less an indication of being 'uptight' and more an indication of your intelligence. Should your experiences with cannabis be negative, your quick brain will surely stop you from continued use(s). This stuff isn't for everyone.....and each user brings with them a unique physiology and mental makeup. Heck....what tastes, smells, or feels good to me may taste, smell, or feel abhorrent to you.
The complexities that surround cannabis use and cannabis users are endless. So endless in fact that some never even enter this arena for fear of whatever shadows, real or imagined, lurks within their minds. I hope that you find what you are seeking....or at least I hope that you find the journey to be a pleasant and positive one....whether your journey continues to involve cannabis or not.

If you don’t already know about it, the podcast “Great Moments in Weed History” tells some great stories, in an entertaining way (less focused on the ancient history, but still fun). Here’s an example:

Oh cool!....I'm going to check this out on my dog walks! Thank you.

Last edited:

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Hi @Trillian. welcome to your cannabis community. I hope this will do until you expand outside FC. Meanwhile, all your questions answered by your cool friends at FC.

As I was following along, there were a lot of things I wanted to say but then I hit @jabba's posts. He covered everything I had in mind, probably better than I would have. I want to add that I am impressed with your approach to cannabis and the way you are using it. Both you and @jabba think a lot like I do.

Top Bottom