tried making edibles few times with avb, didnt work

mihael3188

hi peeps
i have been vaping for half a year now and been collecting a lot of avb, i've tried eating avb raw a few times with ice cream and it didnt get me high, then i tried making cannabutter for the first time i put in abit over half oz of avb + 2 stick of butter with about 50% as much water as butter in a mason jar and let it cook for 3 hours been stirring every 15 min then put it in the fridge for couple of hours strained the water and at first i was like ok people say it can hit you like a truck so ima be careful and eat a lil bit, waited for 3 hours and nothing happened, then i was like ok maybe it was too little i took a big chunk, put it in my tea and later again nothing happened, i was quite frustrated at this point so i threw that shit thinking i did something wrong, few weeks go by i got some more avb made another batch but this time without water method only 1 stick of butter and same amout of weed cooked for 1:30h and after straining and cooling i just gulped the butter, and as time went by i dont even know if i was high or tired, probably just really tired, definitely not tripping balls
fyi this is my first ever edible experience as i dont have access to buy those where im located
weed has been vaped at 430f for about 3-4min of which 3 min of those im coughing and resting and 1 min im actually toking, weed comes out brown/green color not dark at all
am i just immune ? is that a thing ? i've read people say online that avb edibles are more couch lock inducing since a lot of the thc is extracted but im thinking a 15g avb cannabutter should atleast give me some sort of high what i felt was underwhelming
ty in advance for your advice

cannasoor

Sorry to hear about your troubles with AVB edibles. I have actually had some similar trouble myself: I've been able to get some mild effects from pretty heroic doses, but not much beyond that. (I usually end up vaping something after a while, just out of frustration.) I have spent a modest amount on professionally-made, commercial edibles (I am in Oregon), but I have never gotten more than a peep from those, and I have consumed more at a time than is recommended.

So am I also immune?

But no! I found out, with a little research, that lacking a gall bladder is likely the problem.

I can't vouch for this, but if you look around, on a number of forums you will find people discussing this as folklore-backed-by-some-science. It makes sense, given the gall bladder's function and all, having to do with fat digestion. I have no idea if there is real science out there about it (yet), though.

I am a bit surprised if this is the case, as I'd been warned that lacking the gall bladder would cause me some digestion issues, but I have not noticed anything much since getting it out about 18 years ago or so. So I had figured that I got lucky on that count.

But if these people on these forums are right, then perhaps that is it, and so I have more or less given up on edibles :shrug:.

Anyway, it's a bit of a long shot, but if you've had your gall bladder removed, it might be that.

west-elec

A lot of people seem to report little or no result from edibles. Maybe the way your liver works or just psychological? If your liver is slow to break it down you may get the dose over several hours which would be less intense.
While your AVB sounds like it may have some goodness left maybe most has been vaped off and what is left doesn't work for you.
I would suggest you try decarbing some fresh weed and consuming about twice what you would normally vape. If that doesn't work for you nothing will.

justcametomind

An information I gathered on my early days on this forum was that ABV keeps 7% cannabinoids of unvaped weed. If this is true, approximating 7 to 10, it's like if you infused an entire stick of butter with just a gram and a half of fresh weed.
Pretty hard to feel anything with such a low dose, unless you eat "a lot" of the butter. And that is assuming that you extracted well on your first attempt, didn't lose any juce along the way and squeezed out any and every cannabinoid.
This is the recipe I used when I did cannabutter, converting ABV to green with that 7% ratio I'm speaking a bout.
Mind that if you have any tolerance the effects are nothing to call home about, unless you eat a heavy dose, and the whole thing is pretty sleepy due to the abundance of (unvaped) CBD compared to (unvaped) THC.
IIRC from the recipe, cooking for 1 hour and a half is way too much and that could have been another mistake you unfortunately made.

Last edited:

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
I use my abv for sleepy time pills. 3 size 00 capsules of abv with coconut oil (and abou 2.5 mg melatonin) gets me sleepy enough to fall asleep (I have a sleep disorder). I think the op got the effects I would expect the second time around.

I make edibles from fresh bud, that I usually consume early evening. I don't get dizzy high from them but I do find they help reduce the amount I vape to get where I need to be.

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
i have found that this recipe using ABV is extremely effective

txe19

Edibles have worked for me, even too much. But I have never tried it with avb. Right now I have about 50g of avb that I am filtered with water (it is almost transparent) and I had thought about doing it with coconut oil but I'm not sure if it will work. I hesitate to make a cream instead of oil. If I do it with coconut oil, it would serve me the same as cream as as oil, right?

shredder

I haven't saved or used abv in a long while, but for a while I saved it and made feco out of it. As a concentrate it's fairly strong but still tastes nasty. Lets face it, it's the roach weed of vaping, lol.

I liked the oil in capsules that we used for sleep. We mixed the abv oil with coconut oil and lecithin, then filled size 00 gelcaps. In fact since I no longer have abv for making sleep inducing capsules, I went on a quest to make cbn to make a sleep capsules. CBN is abundant in abv. It's good for sleep, pain and inflammation.

Making a concentrate with abv is as easy as washing the abv with 190-200 proof alcohol, filter through a coffee filter and evaporate the alcohol. You can do several washes with the same alcohol to make it stronger. I wouldn't try vaping abv oil though, capsules are the way to with it imho.

blackstone

Even in the recipe I posted here, I mention a sort of refining idea with a grinder and a sieve to try and remove most of the "husk" or waste fibers. There is around one third to one half of the matter that I throw away.
And even then measuring that resulting powder to about 6g, and putting it with chocolate and a little butter, it will be a noticeable but not gigantic effect for me.
And it complements vaping quite well so I wouldn't hardly bother using it on it's own.
A quite sleepy and lazy effect too, it would be no good while carrying out tasks or out and about socially as a replacement for vaping IME.

I might add that I've heard someone say "high quality ABV" before, so crap starting material may give crap ABV?
I'm looking forward to trying mine from this last while as it was really good.

blackstone,
Reactions: Jill NYC

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Many times I have made ABV edibles with many different methods. Here is one (or two) of them.
I always waited til I had at least 1oz of ABV before I fucked with it.

1 - Do a water cure. Get a french press and cover the ABV and make sure its submerged in distilled water. Change the water daily until it runs clear (takes about a week) and yes, the water will stink. Dry the ABV between a couple of coffee filters and a fan. It will be SUPER dry. However, your cooking process will stink significantly less, and you wont have that 'weed taste' in your edibles.

2 - Grind it to a powder in a coffee grinder and pour it into a baking dish. Add half a cup more coco oil than is requested in the recipe. MAKE SURE TO USE LECTHIN!! (I used Soy lecthin) but this is all but an essential step in making good cooking oil.

3 - Bake that shit. I think I did 225 - 300 (under the recommended brownie recipe temp) for at least an hour (sometimes I did more)

4 - Strain the blackened oil and use it in your recipe. I would suggest not keeping the plant material in it as it can upset your stomach.

Every batch I have made like this has knocked peoples socks off and they always came back for more.

Another method is to do the water cure and dry, and then the ISO or Grain alcohol wash/soak and evap. (And then do the oil/lecthin bake)

And before you balk at the water cure - Look up some of my old experimental WC threads. Watercure has been done for eons to quickly cure fresh, or in my case wash away the water solubles. (Chlorophyll, terpenes, etc) THC and CBD/CBN are not water soluble - but are alcohol soluble)

Good luck!

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I know that when I eat ABV straight up without doing anything else to it (like just blending powdered ABV into a milkshake) it takes at least 12 grams of ABV to make it worth my while, and 15 grams are about right for a decent effect.

Though, I made ABV infused coconut oil a couple times, with a decent amount of lecithin mixed in for good measure, and it only took about half that to get me going when baked into brownies.

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Years ago I experimented with a method that when described here was coined "cold infusion." It works. It's this -
Grind up half a cup of ABV to powder in a coffee grinder.
Put in mason jar. Add half cup of oil to same mason jar.
Shake vigorously.
Put it away in a dark corner or cabinet and shake vigorously once a day.
Do that for about 7 days.
That's it. Done. No straining.
Oil is ready for brownies, etc.

jeffp,

vonfatman

so many questions...

i am looking to use my abv to help me with sleep.

my thought is to take my abv (a bit north of 4 ozs) and do a couple more decarbs in my instantpot unit. thinking this may drive down tch and increase cbd.

then, do an alcohol extraction - drive off the booze and keep the oil for nite-time caps.

this might be a waste of time due to the lower available goodies left in the abv....but, i can always afford to learn new stuff if it makes sense to invest my time. if a better idea is to use flower, i will try that.

if i should seek cbd in different directions, i am all ears.

thank you.

vonfatman,
Reactions: shredder

shredder

so many questions...

i am looking to use my abv to help me with sleep.

my thought is to take my abv (a bit north of 4 ozs) and do a couple more decarbs in my instantpot unit. thinking this may drive down tch and increase cbd.

then, do an alcohol extraction - drive off the booze and keep the oil for nite-time caps.

this might be a waste of time due to the lower available goodies left in the abv....but, i can always afford to learn new stuff if it makes sense to invest my time. if a better idea is to use flower, i will try that.

if i should seek cbd in different directions, i am all ears.

thank you.

You don't really have to decarb your abv anymore if your making abv oil from an alcohol extraction. When your alcohol abv mix stops bubbling when your cooking off the alcohol, that should signal decarbing is complete.

For what it's worth when I vaped herb a lot and saved the abv and then made oil, those resulting capsules were the best ive ever made for sleep.

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
You could also combine ABV with decarbed CBD flower for your edibles.
When i decarb CBD I run two cycles in the Nova, the second after the first is cooled down.
I've combined the two occasionally while using the MBM because of the ounce minimum that's required and it was a cheap and good way to have enough flower for the infusions. It takes the high in a different, more sedate direction which provides easy deep sleep.
For what it's worth my favorite site for ordering CBD flower is apical greens, my second favorite is plain jane.

Top Bottom