To Grind or Not To Grind...

Choices

So I have an ounce of CBD flowerbthat I will be using at a rate of about a gram per week. At what point does it make sense to grind all of it for continued storage if at all? I’m pretty confident I’ll get six months use out of it. I have it in Mason jars with Boveda packs and the glass portion of the jars below the lid are covered in black duct tape to keep out light. So at what point would you grind it if at all? What process do you use in such a situation? Thanks for your thoughts. I learn so much here.

Choices,
Reactions: C No Ego

CANtalk

I find everyone will be different and it's simply personal preference
blush.gif
. Fwiw, I'm in a similar range with setup/use... my optimal setup so far has currently morphed into mason jar Boveda stored fresh cannabis in my cold basement (house); it's in a dark dark dark and dry unused room closet. And I basically grind every bowl fresh. I use a coarse grinder for less processing and a more intact product (it's not as unprocessed as whole pieces which has its fans and I've tried, so try whole pieces too). It helps with a premium desktop vape that extracts like a mofo when I want it to... and can be a sipper as well :tup:.

Lots of considerations. Try different things, find your optimum and share :nod:...

Last edited:

idboehman

CBD degrades to CBE according to here:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/neuroscience/cannabinol

3-s2-0-B978012802147700053-X-f53-04-9780128021477.jpg

Figure 53.4. Biosynthesis of CBDA, THCA, and CBCA from CBGA through the cannabinoid synthase pathways. Degradation of the CBD-, THC-, and CBC-type cannabinoids leads to CBE-, CBN-, THC-, and CBL-type cannabinoids. *This compound was not identified in cannabis.

what that means effects-wise i could not tell you. i know thc degrading to cbn is why old pot makes you sleepier but that's the extent of my knowledge.

eta:

:shrug: http://naturesbreakthrough.com/cannabielsoin/

The benefits of this compound and its interaction with other cannabinoids are yet to be discovered due to lack of research.

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
+1 for on demand grinding, the only time I ever grind more than one or two bowls worth at once, is to avoid bringing a grinder when bringing a vape out of the house.

To be honest that happens so rarely as I prefer to use concentrates on the go.

Heck, if I had it my way I would just vape dry sift and never grind another nug again. :ko:

At one gram per week I would not pre grind if you're gonna sit on an oz for that long. Mason jars are good, but the important part is the size of the jar, you want a tight fit to reduce the amount of oxygen in the jar. Personally I've never found a use for Boveda packs, but I don't sit on anything that long either.

Last edited:

Choices

Thanks everyone. My main concern was mold first and degradation second. I’m pretty much a light weight. I have used “two year old bought in CO shake” and it does the job. My new stuff tastes much better and I’m wanting to preserve as much of that flavor as possible.

Choices,
Reactions: C No Ego

Brewervapesalot

I think its better to store flowers whole if your goal is make it last in a form closest to when originally cured.

Just anecdotal. But my buddy had a cannabis shop and he gave me some herb that was preground because he had bored employees, which needed something to do, because he was still paying them.

When vaped compared to the same bud not preground, I definitely preferred the latter. The preground turned brown much quicker and was super dry and that changed the flavor aroma and vaping experience.

Both were stored the same with bovada packs and O2 packs.

idboehman

Another thing to consider would be one of those Airscape containers -- I use them for coffee and they work really well at keeping things fresh since they push air out of the container before sealing.

idboehman,
Reactions: Dayseed

Moses Baca

Colorado State Reformatory #8755
Fresh ground might be slightly better but we keep jars of preground around for convenience - we just don't always have the time or desire to grind. Don't store it ground long term, a week or two is usually fine. Jyarz are great for storing ground flowers. :2c:

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I used to say only grind fresh, what you are going to use that session, or that day at most.

These days I grind a bit every few days. I fill my grinder with a bud or two, depending on bud size, grind, and put it in a Jyarz classic that I pull from to load my vape bowls/stems. That usually lasts me anywhere from a couple days to several days between grinds.

Having a good small container that is completely airtight is a requirement for grinding for multiple days use. Jyarz is perfect for that.

Last edited:

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I grind up to a weeks worth in advance. I store my ground cannabis in doob tubes, and I’ve found minimal degradation of potency storing it this way. Sometimes I feel the taste actually improves at the end, I think the smaller particles cure faster than big buds so you get less of the chlorophyll taste after a few days.

Fresh ground material seems to be preferred by most. I’m a medical microdoser and I have to medicate multiple times throughout the day. It’s just silly for me to grind .05-.10 grams at a time, I’d be grinding 10-20 times some days. I can finish .05 grams in my E-Nano in less time than it takes to grab my grinder and stash out of storage.

Last edited:

LesPlenty

Company Rep
One bowl in my Plenty is over 1g and I have at least 1 bowl a day with it...plus all my others, that is why I love my 88nn SpaceCase all other grinders I have used feel like toys compared.
Back when I was combusting I used to just rip buds apart with my fingers but that technique does not work well with most vapes.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I do keep it somewhat fresh, 1-2 days at a time. I used to only go fresh, but also find MANY if not all my vapes really perform at their best with day-old grinds. Vapor gets denser, chambers/bowls last longer, rips get larger, magic happens as it airs out and humidity drops.

I definitely recommend hygrometers for EVERYONE, in every jar.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I like to grind each session to keep the process conscious. I vape a lot per day as well; for me it is better to grind 10 times a day, as pre ground herb and a preheated desktop vape is a deadly combination lol. The grinder acts as the intermediary buffer so I have to consciously want to pull a nug from the stash and prep it. Otherwise I'm always a spoonful away from a session, which doesn't help my already high tolerance!

Heck, I've even started putting the vaporizer away after a session, which is super new to me as a guy whom is used to living inside a "vape station." :spliff:

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
When using flower I now exclusively use dosing caps in my Crafty and Fury2k. So every week or ten days I do a grind, half sativa and half indica. I intentionally grind more than will fill the caps(go into airtight caddies) so I can easily feed my VapCap or mix up a special dosing cap with trichomes or hash. The extra stuff is stored in doob tubes, which I find perfect for refilling caps or filling the VC. If there's any loss in potency or taste from pre-grinding a week or ten days supply, I haven't noticed it in the least.

Top Bottom