To Any Scotch or Bourbon drinkers.....

Petro

Thanks guys, this thread has motivated me to try and develop more of a taste for whiskey!

Trying to ease my way into it but so far so good :). Have a small bar at my work (family business) with a few spirits so been trying to have a few different ones each night.

First night had a Chivas 12 neat, then with a dash of water - took me about 40 minutes to sip but really enjoyed it. Nosing it and rolling it around in my mouth, very relaxing and tasty. Next night was a JD on the rocks which I enjoyed also. Never had JD without coke and want to give Bourbon a go too!

Tonight has been some Bushmills Original with a single ice cube and now having another Chivas neat.

Next step is to get myself a few Glencairn glasses so I can stop sniffing them out of wine glasses.....

Will graduate to single malts when I've developed a bit of a taste for the stuff :cool:.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
To get the best aroma and taste from a Scotch (or rye or bourbon), do not use ice. A single drop of water—no more—opens it up. More than that, or chilling the drink, reduces the flavour and fragrance. Even cheap blended Scotches are tolerable if you do this. I really don't like bourbon, but I enjoy drinking rye this way.

Nazz1

As far as blended scotches....
Pinch (also known as Dimple) is a great drink. Only on the rocks.

I am also enjoy a Crown Royal Black on the rock with a twist......or regular Crown if Black is not available.
Never spoil a Crown by mixing it with Coke or 7UP.

dirtpie

Never was into whiskeys that weren't Irish or Canadian, but after living in the south for a while there are some great small batch bourbons that aren't nearly as sweet as the bigger types. I must say I love Basil Hayden's. Very smooth, and a bit spicier than most bourbons. All though it's a very pleasant taste it doesn't linger on your pallet forever like some bourbon I've had.

I love dark rums. El Dorado's 15 year aged rum is spectacular. I've only been able to find it at one bar in my area. Meyers Dark Rum and Appleton's Reserve Blends are nice sippers as well. I couldn't notice too much of a difference to justify the price difference between their regular Reserve and their 12 year Reserve.

Petro

To get the best aroma and taste from a Scotch (or rye or bourbon), do not use ice. A single drop of water—no more—opens it up. More than that, or chilling the drink, reduces the flavour and fragrance. Even cheap blended Scotches are tolerable if you do this. I really don't like bourbon, but I enjoy drinking rye this way.

Don't worry, just using a bit of ice to tame the alcohol a bit for the start of my whiskey drinking journey. Don't want to be put off by getting an Islay single malt straight off the bat, drinking it neat, and not be able to handle it. Baby steps :lol:.

Once I get a handle on it all I will combine it with my night time vaping and then we're laughing :).

EDIT: Wish I was as keen on it when I was in Edinburgh a few years back doing the Scotch Whisky Experience:
9210603888_05ea7c1f76_b.jpg

Meremoth

AKA ♫ Stinky Wizzleteats ♫
Where I live I can buy really good bourbon for relatively cheap, or buy average scotch that costs 2-3x the price of bourbon of similar quality.

I do like both though. Bourbon has more flavor and a bigger flavor profile and is sweeter, but scotch is dry and has that good smokey flavor to it.

And like the OP said, once you really start to concentrate on developing your flavor vocabulary and palate, your senses will eventually become much more sensitive than before.

One of my favorite bourbons is Elmer T. Lee. If you can find it, grab it.

Petro

I have a scotch every night now - neat in my Glencairn glass. Goes great with vaping :love:.

Currently have a bottle of Auchentoshan Three Wood for my single malt and some Monkey Shoulder for my blend. The Monkey Shoulder is fine/nice but has nothing on the Three Wood, which tastes just out of this world good.

When I am at work or out I usually stick to Bourbon so that I don't feel bad maybe having it with a cube of ice and not sniffing it every sip ;). Not to say that there aren't bourbons out there that deserve to be savored like a good single malt.

I will be eternally grateful to this thread for helping me get an appreciation for straight liquor - now I can drink like a real man :tup:.

Last edited:

BD9

I was going to start a wine & spirits thread. Glad I looked and found this. I'll just put it out there, I like Alcohol. Wine, Bourbon Whisky/Whiskey, Scotch, Gin, Tequila, etc,... I even like Amaros, (digestifs and apertifs).

When it comes to scotch I like the heavily peated, smoky campfire in a glass type drams. When it's 10 degrees and snowing outside all is well inside when I have a nice dram. I also like scotch's that are on the sweeter side. Some of the sherry cask bottlings can be very nice.

I can't find the picture now, but I'm currently enjoying a bottle of Ardbeg 10 yr.

Edit: Found it. You know, pics. or it didn't happen... :lol:

SJveLWj.jpg

Last edited:

StickyShisha2

When I want something more special, I've found this to be a real treat (and a great value) :tup:

macallanscotch18.jpg

But I haven't had it in a while, and when I look on costco's website this seems to be its replacement:

500-746526-847__1.jpg

Looks pretty good :tup:
Costco/kirkland also used to market/brand a 20-year old islay as I recall.
is that some kind of discount big box store?
McCallan 18 year is my #1 favorite. I've been watching the price go up each time I buy a bottle. 20 something years ago, the bottle was $64us. Now its over 3 times that!

Silat

When the Facts Change, I Change My Mind.
Lately I have been enjoying an old stash of early batches of Aberlour A'bunadh. I opened Batch #7.
I keep a little misting bottle filled with distilled water nearby for those times when I want to change the flavor profile:)
MACALLAN 18 1970 is one of my all time faves.

grokit

well-worn member
is that some kind of discount big box store?
McCallan 18 year is my #1 favorite. I've been watching the price go up each time I buy a bottle. 20 something years ago, the bottle was $64us. Now its over 3 times that!
Yes costco is the main big-box retailer in the usa, and kirkland is their own brand (it's not just for booze). They have been private-branding a lot more spirits lately, but they have been doing the scotch for a while now; I think that it may be their first. I noticed recently that they are getting into top-shelf tequilas big-time.

gaseous_clay

I drink scotch nearly every night. I haven't gotten into single malt. Just enjoy some Johnnie Walker. (Usually Black, but I really enjoy the Green or Swing)

I have found the Red is best chilled with some fruit in it.

I haven't dug through this thread to see if this question was answered, but has anyone here used "Chilling Stones?" (basically stone cubes you throw in the freezer. I've seen them at Bed Bath & Beyond) I don't like to water down my liquor. Wondering if the chilling stones are really useful, or just something to make you feel sophisticated that will pretty much go unused until you have company to show off how hip you truly are.

Krazy

+1 on the Peat Monster; people either love it or hate it. Plus the bottle is cool. You guys have covered most of the ones I'v liked over the years.

Anyone like barrel proof bourbon? Aberlour A'bunadh and Bruichladdich are very different from each other but both worth a try.

Knob Creek is a small batch, mildly over proof, Kentucky straight bourbon that my sis loves.

BD9

I drink scotch nearly every night. I haven't gotten into single malt. Just enjoy some Johnnie Walker. (Usually Black, but I really enjoy the Green or Swing)

I have found the Red is best chilled with some fruit in it.

I haven't dug through this thread to see if this question was answered, but has anyone here used "Chilling Stones?" (basically stone cubes you throw in the freezer. I've seen them at Bed Bath & Beyond) I don't like to water down my liquor. Wondering if the chilling stones are really useful, or just something to make you feel sophisticated that will pretty much go unused until you have company to show off how hip you truly are.

I like Johnie Walker. I have recently had the Blue Label and really liked it.
I have used stones a few times and them to be just okay. They do not stay cool long at all. I would suggest using a silicone mold and making large ice cubes. I use this.

Do you guys like mixed drinks like Manhattans and Rob Roys? I like to make Manhattans with Michters Rye or Rittenhouse Rye. If I'm making a Rob Roy, I use The Macallan 12 or Glenfiddich 12. For vermouth Dolin is okay but I prefer Cocchi Rosa.

Last edited:

Mr Mellish

I'm still a noob with whiskey but I'm enjoying the Elijah Craig single barrel. It's smooth and tasty. Doesn't have the complexities of higher end bourbon or a peaty scotch but it's an easy drinker. No deep analysis required, just go on autopilot and enjoy

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
I'm still a noob with whiskey but I'm enjoying the Elijah Craig single barrel. It's smooth and tasty. Doesn't have the complexities of higher end bourbon or a peaty scotch but it's an easy drinker. No deep analysis required, just go on autopilot and enjoy
Hmmm... I find the Elijah Craig to be on the dry and sour side with no sweetness... did not enjoy.

BD9

Elijah Craig used to be my go to. It was 12 y.o. and affordable. A great pour. I could barely stop nosing it long enough to drink it. Then they changed it. It's now a blend 8-10 y.o. bourbon it's lost a lot of flavor and depth. It no longer has that brown sugar, vanilla, and caramel nose. It's still drinkable, but a little flatter.
It's sometimes hard for me to just sit and enjoy and a good pour of anything because I'm in retail and have to be able to describe the nuances to customers. do you know how hard it is to consistently come up with adjectives to describe Merlot. :lol:
So yeah, I 'forget' to just sit and enjoy. :huh::shrug::bang:

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
Pappy Van Winkle was my go to bourbon...but now, at over $2-$4,000.00 a bottle, I have to settle for just a sniff of memory...

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
There is an 18 & 23 year old Elijah Craig ;)

My go to Bourbon is Bulleit or Makers Mark but I do like to spoil myself with the odd bottle of Blantons, and I always buy a bottle of JD Single Barrel Silver Select when ever I am at the airport, as well as a Jim Beam Signature Craft.

BD9

Finishing off the last of my Bulleit Rye. The mash bill is 95% rye.
Nice and light on the nose. No heavy alcohol burn. Mostly spice and sweet vanilla on the nose.
On the palate, it's a well blended mix of sweet and spice. Honey, a little cinnamon, and the rye play very nice together with a long finish.
I do prefer Michter's Rye, but this is a very good rye and I recommend it highly.

MmLvZIWm.jpg

Top Bottom