Tinymight vs grasshopper

jaypm

long-time hopper owner+lover (several units, dating back to 2016). all units have been in and out of service like addicts in rehab, but darnit when they are here they are wonderful. for many years i have advocated to my fellow plant lovers the unique and superior benefits of the hopper design, mostly in terms of being the only legitimate portable on-demand vape, but also one that is largely/mostly convection (as many have noted, with repeated use both the oven and mouthpiece get too hot), and have you tasted those terps? i even love my 3D-printed Double Feeder, as it has enabled countless hours of gleeful shoveling of fluffy bits of fresh herb into my hopper's mouth like cookie monster, but without the crumbs. i think i've even shoveled actual cannabis cup winning Cookie Monster into my cookie monster. that's right, a dream within a dream... i'm impressed.

the point i'm making is, i love my hoppers, despite all their flaws, and the unfortunate reality that they aren't truly reliable devices.

which is why it has been a little bit difficult for me to fully and joyfully accept that my tinymight is a better device, possibly without exception.

the TM flavor / terp extraction is at least as good as the hopper. at lower temps, probably better.

the TM has more versatility to work well with a range of load sizes. TM can pull one really good hit out of a pinch of herb. or let you hammer on 0.3g for a solid session. hopper, imo, seems to have a sweet spot load size, which is what the double feeder perfected. that is to say, less versatile.

the on-demand capability is similar (TM also has a preheat delay, which also varies based on ambient and target temp). in real world performance, TM has been better for on-demand use because it does such a good job of keeping the chamber cool in between OD hits.

power, to my crude eye, seems overall comparable - a TM on 10 vs. a hopper on 5 (both with full/fresh batteries) are both going to demolish whatever you put in front of them. if i had to guess, the TM is more powerful, perhaps because i almost never need or want to go past 8.5.

battery life, hands down, thank the Plant Lord for TM doing this right. the TM's sony VTC6 battery is readily available and affordable, and in my real world use gives about 2-3x the session capacity. i can use the TM multiple times in a day and not worry about charging the battery; this would never be the case with the hopper. even though i could buy and travel with spare batteries, i just haven't seen the need. in comparison, hopper labs' fatal step of hubris to build their own battery is what seems to be hurting them the most. frankly i'm shocked they didn't use the hopper io as an opportunity to re-design around a standard battery size; it's as if this lesson still hasn't been learned, isn't understood.

cleaning cycle, perhaps this is the only area where i can say the hopper still wins mightily. TM has good flexibility on the mouthpiece, but most options involve going back to basket screens that need cleaning and replacing over time. i love that the hopper mouthpiece uses a permanent screen that is easy to clean with iso. wish that TM had found a way to design something like that.

probably the biggest and most impressive thing, though, has been the reliability and consistency of the TM. since it's first use, its performance has been incredibly solid, and every single time the experience is the same. it feels more like a machine than a digital device. it feels like something someone built with their hands and a soldering iron. it feels like something that will never get a firmware update, because its firmware barely does anything. it feels like something that will only ever fully work, or not work at all. it's prudential. it's the rock. and i love it. probably more than the hopper. because this bitch never lets me down.

in case there are hopper lovers correctly wanting to point out that i haven't tried a hopper io yet. yes, i would love to try the new hopper io. but having followed the various threads on it, it doesn't seem like any of the upgrades they've made would change any of the calculus above. and the reliability issues seem to persist. i wish them luck in their pursuit. and might even buy a GHB3, if one ever comes into existence. but i won't be counting on them in the future, when i know i can count on my TM. because once you go finnish.

Guest399

my impressions between TM and the Hopper io coincide pretty much with yours. The extraction and the strength of the high of the two is in one league, I think.
Both are very nice to look at. :ove: The Hopper is of course better for on the go. I only vape at home anyway. The steam is cooler at the TM, which doesn't even bother me. The hopper only gets quite hot on the lisp, only with a silicone mouthpiece and little breaks between the draws is vaping on the lips possible.
I think the TM is better for cleaning and handling in general and very much cooler. With battery life too which were no problem if more batterys were available in future.
I love :rockon:both, if I had to choose one it would be clear that the TM because is easier to use and clean, etc. But better is to have both. :shrug:
The TM is also a permanent user which the hopper has to prove first.

All in all, the steam quality for both and the strength of the effect is pretty much equally good for me. I have the TM about +1 month and the Hopper only some days

after some more days of using i must say that i prefer now the Hopper io a little more :)

Because of its simplicity in use and cleaning (with several frontends perfect) the beauty of the device and ultimately what is important is the vapor quality and the experience itself. But I still think both are a one league and I use both at least the same amount, just to spare the hopper's batteries. For me, the IO is something special besides the reliable Tinymight machine.
If my hopper holds out for a few months without defects, I will maybe get a second hopper to my 2 TMs.

Guest399,
Reactions: Siebter

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
More often than not, about 4 out of 5 times, I reach for my Tinymight over my legacy Hopper. I’ve had my TM for 5 months now and it’s the best portable vape I’ve owned, not that I’ve had that many pass through my possession. But it’s awesome every single time.

The classic argument between the angel and devil on each shoulder whispering in my ear centers on whether I’ll buy a Hopper io or not. More out of curiosity than anything - and perhaps an extra Hopper battery (or two) would be great. I don’t subscribe to VAS. I love my Hopper when it works and it still fulfills most of my needs, and there’s little else out there that I’m interested in meeting these requirements, hence the io interest. Of conundrums and quandaries. To be continued... :peace:

Aurora

less is more
Hello Everyone, Tinymight vs Grasshopper. After 41 months of use my 45-watt Grasshopper died, clicking it on about 15 times per month. Since there is a long wait for repair buying a 2nd portable vape asap is priority. I wanted a device having a replaceable batt and heats by convection only and after researching I ordered the Tinymight. It arrived 8 days later here in USA from Suomi (Finland).

The instructions say to press the button 3 times quickly to shut the TM off. But mine shuts off by pressing the button 5 times quickly after one on-demand vape and pressing 4 times after two o-d vapes (releasing button after each vape). This is about 80% consistent, sometimes turning off with one more or one fewer button presses the other 20% of the time. It always shuts off with 3 button presses after three or more o-d vapes.

Both the Grasshopper and Tinymight have strengths & weakness with neither device standing out as best overall for me. Strengths of the Grasshopper is its lightweight, discreet, low maintenance, never gets hot except metal mouthpiece, simple to use. Strengths for Tinymight: the chamber size is adjustable, the off-shelf battery holds a long charge, looks, an easy draw when inhaling, comfortable to hold, haptic feedback. G negs (or negative Gs?): Need the rubber cap since the metal mouthpiece gets hot, long turn-around time for repair according to forum comments, smallish chamber (but see below); TM: the wooden body gets very warm during extended use, movement of the temp-adjust knob could be tighter, inconsistent button presses for shutting off unless its my caffeine jitters. Interestingly, I clicked my Grasshopper on & off probably 1,200+ times during the 41 months of use and the resistance of the ‘clicker’ has not diminished. It’s still just as firm as when new. Another benefit for the G is it can be quickly packed among heavy luggage or articles without concern of it breaking; I store mine in a hard case for eyeglasses with added cushioning inside, tossing it in a suitcase for travel or a backpack when hiking. And with the Grasshopper I need only about half as much herb for the same effects compared to TM, probably because of the G’s very short vapor path with virtually no obstructions: only 1 screen and 0.5 inch between you and the chamber. This offsets the G’s smallish chamber. The Tinymight has a cooler vape temp and better taste. And billowy clouds, if clouds are important (i like discreet). The G’s silicone rubber cap for its metal mouthpiece fits perfectly onto the glass tube of the TM if needed during extended use.

The light leak in gap between the metal & wood at the bottom that others have commented on may be part of the design making it easier to see the Tinymight flashing several feet away when not being used especially in a darkened room, letting you know it’s still on standby. This small gap also allows more air to enter providing an easy draw. I enjoy both vapes equally and will use the TM mostly around home and the G (after repair) when hiking trails or the busy downtown sidewalks of my neighborhood.

Last edited:

Vaporific

Preliminarily and briefly (I’ll bloviate another time) the Tinymight rules the Hopper IO. On a pure native use stance, the TM wins - and I prefer grabbing it over the IO when I’m home. The vapor is overall cooler, flavor on low temps is better, and temp variation is noticeably finer with the TM. I’m a big native user, seldom use cooling/filtration, and base my comments primarily on that. With a cooling option, the IO comes close in some, not all, aspects. While they both have about the same wattage in their heaters, the IO feels like putting a Ferrari engine in something less performant - and temps for me, on the lower end of the scale since I’m not a high temp user unless using with filtration, aren’t readily discerned like they are with the TM. Some may argue the TM’s Cooling Unit can’t be considered but it came with the vape though I needn’t use it (but do and love it). I also use the stock short stem and haven’t even used the long stem in 5+ months of owning the TM.

Perhaps not so brief for now but I’ll post again with detailed criterion comparing them both. I’ll leave my OG Hopper out of the mix too (and I haven’t used it since I got my IO - go figure. It’s getting lonely, lol). The IO is how the OG should have been for me years ago when I got my pre order Ti; the IO Ti is a nice upgrade, works consistently and produces nice clouds so far. Since I can’t run it too high a temp without scorching my lips, mouth and throat, effect has been lacking. I can’t say the same about the TM - it can never do wrong. To be continued... :peace: :peace:

Guest399

For me personally the best argument for the hopper io compared to the TM is that the hopper has a stronger high effect for me.

I now suspect that it is due to the very short air path, which I already noticed with other vape before, which also has a very short air path.

This is my purely personal experience, why I prefer the hopper, in addition to the simple, wonderful system which can also be cleaned perfectly with hardly any work.

Vaporific

For me personally the best argument for the hopper io compared to the TM is that the hopper has a stronger high effect for me.

I now suspect that it is due to the very short air path, which I already noticed with other vape before, which also has a very short air path.

This is my purely personal experience, why I prefer the hopper, in addition to the simple, wonderful system which can also be cleaned perfectly with hardly any work.
For me it’s almost the opposite. I get better effect with the Tinymight nearly all the time. I just tried some of my least favorite strain on hand (I have several) and tried some in the IO and then an hour and a half later with the TM. The TM produces better effect - because I can run it at a higher temp than the IO and the vapor is just as cool if not cooler than the IO. Don’t get me wrong, the IO produces mice clouds at low temps but the effect is lacking compared to the TM. Indeed the IO’s (and Hopper) short air path is well known and for me with the IO with the increased power the vapor just becomes too hot to turn the temp up any higher. I was never a high temp vaper anyway as I do love portables - and keeping my mouth, throat and lungs intact without scorching them. Granted this is my least favorite strain and I’ve used others in the IO with good results. But overall I can run the TM hotter with cooler vapor than the IO - unless I introduce some cooling/filtration to the IO. Just some continued observations and comparisons. More details to come as promised above... :peace:

vapepilot

For me it is almost your opposite Vaporific
i have better effect with the Hopper io but only with SS not with titan

yes the TM has what the instruction says 10 degrees more than the Hopper. but the ABV in the SS io is the same dark like the TM, even a little darker at all. at the TM there is always little weed which is not vaped :(

but if you only have the io in titan which is not getting so hot like the SS you cant talk with it at all i think

at the hopper there must be no stirring and for me it is natively not to hot. for me wins the Hopper io in SS.

the TM is a nice backup for me ;)

Last edited:
vapepilot,
Reactions: Tweakz

vapepilot

times run out to edit.

i forgot the fact that the Hopper have very much better taste for me than the TM as the TM that somehow always has an aftertaste for me. maybe it's the wood

but i am very happy to have the Tinymight too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i love it too, before i had my hopper the TM was my big love ;)

vapepilot,
Reactions: Tweakz
Top Bottom