Thoughts on Our Loss of Ability to "Bump" Classifieds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesoloman

I think this is a good suggestion, I'm sure there are plenty of volunteer mods!

I'm sure a lot of us would like to donate to FC... it's pretty invaluable, but there is no donation account like wikipedia?
and the higher donations can earn t-shirts! then im down haha

It seems to me that all this change of rules is doing is just simply shifting the administrative burden away from staff, to the seller (and lesser degree, the buyer). This seems pretty damn fair to me, since they are the parties who are profiting. I like the way people are offering to edit in relevant questions PMed, that is very classy.

I think the only real "loss" I see is the ability for a random user to dutifully whistleblow if they see some falsehood/scam. Luckily it doesn't seem to be an issue around here, but any solution I could think of involved staff headaches, so it is kind of a blind spot.

I also suggest noting the date of any price drop in the thread title to attract attention.
I agree there should be a rule regarding locking/re-listing to jockey for top position.

JoeKickass

I also suggest noting the date of any price drop in the thread title to attract attention.
I agree there should be a rule regarding locking/re-listing to jockey for top position.
I like your general points but you forget that the jockeying and re-listing is specifically because we can no longer bump our thread to the top.

An edited title, screaming "PRICE DROP TODAY!" is all well and good, but if it's on the third page the only people who are going to see it are the people willing to click on the second, and then on the third page. I don't have statistics off the top of my head, but my own lazy mindset leads me to believe there are a significant amount of people who simply do not bother to click to the second page, let alone the third.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I like your general points but you forget that the jockeying and re-listing is specifically because we can no longer bump our thread to the top.

An edited title, screaming "PRICE DROP TODAY!" is all well and good, but if it's on the third page the only people who are going to see it are the people willing to click on the second, and then on the third page. I don't have statistics off the top of my head, but my own lazy mindset leads me to believe there are a significant amount of people who simply do not bother to click to the second page, let alone the third.

I was starting to respond to this and then I realized I was typing something that seemed awfully familiar and sure enough, I was basically repeating exactly what @max posted earlier in the thread. I'll just assume you missed it because otherwise I'll get really pissed off, so use the link and see what he said. That explains our position quite well and it's not likely to change. We probably should have closed the thread at that point but we didn't, and now we seem to running in circles, so we're done here.

pakalolo,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom