THIS FORUM SUCKS!

Would you like lighter text by default?

• Total voters

wthanna

If I click the "Like" button on the forum, is this going to show up on facebook? (my kids are there, etc..)

wthanna,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
If I click the "Like" button on the forum, is this going to show up on facebook? (my kids are there, etc..)

Nope. The Like button lets us give a post a :tup: without making a "Me too!" post. The three buttons at the bottom of the page for Twitter, Google+, and Facebook will show up in those respective forums, however.

ETA It can also result in trophy points for the poster. Yes, some of the new features are for kiddies.

Also, I'm using the Edit button now but unlike the old forum, it will disappear after a time. I'm not sure what vtac wound up setting for the default. Get your edits in early folks, this is a limited-time offer.

pakalolo,

sessnet

Noob Saibot
What - no edits? That seems kind of big-brother-ish. Plus - I suck at spelling since I usually don't care, but I should, and sometimes go back to edit, for the sake of the world, and a brighter, greener, future filled with many happy animals, and humans, and even happy plants.

EDIT: I get it, the edit will disappear after a certain time...I can live with that. People that didn't take their medication, or are cranky in general, however....

sessnet,

djonkoman

I find about all the text in this topic that is whiter as the default too bright, would hurt my eyes of the whole forum would be like that. the default contrast is exactly right for me

djonkoman,

bruno13

insomniac
bruno13, After you've marked all the forums as read, the "button" of each forum will turn blue as a new post comes up. Look to the left of the little "button" at the beginning of each forum. There will be a little blue arrow. Click the arrow and it will take you to the first post that you haven't read.

thanks, that's what I was looking for.

bruno13,

vape4life

Banned for life
Just what is it that you find so hard to adjust to with this change? You've mentioned more than once that you wish it either wouldn't or hadn't happened.

Just the layout, colours, etc. I just find the old forum was much easier on the eyes and to navigate. I just liked it better that's all. Not to mention I cannot use the forum on my iphone anymore, way too slow, although i'm sure that will be resolved.

vape4life,

Nycdeisel

i voted papa smurf

anyway the old one was easy on the eyes, this one is cool too.

but what the hell happened to the Fc motto?!?!?

Nycdeisel,

placetime

i voted papa smurf

anyway the old one was easy on the eyes, this one is cool too.

but what the hell happened to the Fc motto?!?!?

I also think that the old one was easier to look at. But I think that the current default text is slightly too dim. I also think that the blue "quoted" sections are too bright---a darker shade, preferably green, would be better, imho, and would help with people thinking that the default text is too dim (the contrast between the two is striking, imho). :2c:

Someone else (I forget where exactly) mentioned that it seemed like not as much info seems to be packed into the same amount of space as with the old setup. Is that maybe because the avatars are bigger than before, so smaller posts now take up more screen-space than they used to?

Oh yeah--and where is the old motto? Is it hidden, so that we can have some fun searching for it like Waldo or something? :p

One more thing: where's the link to chat? or is that going away?

placetime,

jackmormon

Kudos to VTAC & team for the AWESOME transition to the new software. Looks really nice. This may have been the smoothest forum software transition ever pulled off!

One thing I would like to understand was posted earlier:

This forum has always had Google requests/links. Now my Disconnect software is blocking not only Google, but also Facebook and Twitter requests. My guess is this is just for SEO. But, are our IP addresses being passed along to Google, Facebook, or Twitter? Does the "Like" button interact with any of these services?

jackmormon,

sessnet

Noob Saibot
Funny,

The site/colors text looks OK to me at home! At work - very hard to read! In fact here at home the white is super bright.

It has to do mainly with contrast, and brightness, of the screen/monitor...but bumping it up a little bit lighter might make it easier for some people, and round it off in general.

On the other monitors the text looks sort of like this: Lorem ipsum dolor Papa smurf :/

sessnet,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
Someone else (I forget where exactly) mentioned that it seemed like not as much info seems to be packed into the same amount of space as with the old setup. Is that maybe because the avatars are bigger than before, so smaller posts now take up more screen-space than they used to?
If you change the style to xF and change your settings not to display peoples signatures it becomes ultra streamlined. More so than the old FC I think- more info in even less space. Hardly any 'waste' at all. No messin'
34exaol.png

WatTyler,

Adobewan

New site design is nice, glad it all went smoothly.

Another vote for the lighter font. White text on black is harder to read than black on white to begin with but the lower contrast adds to the difficulty.

Adobewan,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
:rofl: mom. As I said in the test forum, there'll be lots of that before we're done.

One thing I noticed is that vtac has added the member's message count to the avatar box in the FC themes, but it's missing from the xF themes. I looked into modifying the theme or building my own, but as far as I could see you need the forum software to do that. I use Opera so I might add some custom CSS for FC, but the CSS is large, complex, and really badly formatted so it'll take a while to figure out what changes to make.

pakalolo,

placetime

On a positive note, I find the "Recent Activity" part of the "Members" section to be very interesting. The ability to quickly skim through the most recent posts on one page is very cool. :tup:

And another minor whine: what's up with the orange usernames on the main page. :uhoh:
:peace:

placetime,
Top Bottom