These heating technologies are used?

nms

Hello, I'm quite curious as to whether there are:

1. Induction based dry herb vaporizers, same principle as dynavap but integrated into a vaporizer with a fixed chamber in the middle of it and regulated heat.
  2. Laser based dry herb vaporizers where the laser heats a chamber that heats the air.
I assume there'd be power constraints for both models, so maybe it's hard to see these in portables but maybe on desktops?

nms,

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
1. has been utilized in the Dr. Dabber Switch, which is said to work well with concentrates, but not so well with dry herb.

Siebter,

Vaporware

For some specific designs induction heating at least may make sense, but in general if the heater is staying in place it’s more efficient to just directly heat the metal heater than to power the coil to heat the heater.

We use induction heaters with VapCaps because we just want to heat the cap and tip and then remove the power source while we use the heated VapCap.

Dr Dabber says they use it for fast heat up times and isolation of electronics from the dish which makes sense. Most portables probably wouldn’t use this because of the extra space requirements for the IH parts and the likely shorter battery life.

As for the laser heating idea, while it sounds cool I’m just not sure what it offers if you’re just heating up a chamber that you could heat directly instead, unless you again just want very fast heating from room temperature.

nms

They seem to both allow for things like a complete glass vapour path. For the second you'd need a material inside it to absorb and in the second you'd need some resistive metal, both can also heat up very fast. Maybe you can do so without these but it'd be hard to isolate the electronics(particularly cables going to the heater). May be far fetched and non ideal though.

nms,

nms

You can use glass as the heating element with metal inside it, that's what I meant for both methods(need of no wiring supposedly made it easier to implement).

nms,

Vaporware

The Tubo and Tetra use metal encased in glass for their heaters, but they’re heated directly. The Evo uses a metal heater surrounding and heating the glass tube. I’m not saying what you’re suggesting is bad, just that there are more direct ways of heating for most applications, even if you want to keep the vapor path and the part of the heater exposed to it glass.

Still, it’s good to think about things like this and maybe there are more good applications for induction heating, etc. that we haven’t thought of yet. :)

scy123

Trusted Member Don't Worry
I kind of like where metal coiled heating is headed. It uses coil resistance as a way to detect heater temp, making it fast and accurate. I doubt any other tech will catch up any time soon.

scy123,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
You can use glass as the heating element with metal inside it, that's what I meant for both methods(need of no wiring supposedly made it easier to implement).

Not sure I understand the design, but metal anywhere inside would defeat the all glass goal. Even if you recessed the susceptor out of the air path you’d be relying on induction to provide conduction to power the heater.

Thermodynamically speaking the best way to heat a glass vape is with a torch.

invertedisdead,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

scy123

The metal cup would be inside the glass and not in the vapor path. You can do this with coils too. Ceramic coils are steel coils inside ceramic.

scy123,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
The metal cup would be inside the glass and not in the vapor path. You can do this with coils too. Ceramic coils are steel coils inside ceramic.

Say the metal cup is recessed from the air path - where would the herb and air go? OP mentioned a Dynavap style principal, in which the herb sits amongst while the metal is doing all the thermal transfer. If you recessed a Dynavap in glass you would basically have an Arizer Air - a glass conduction vape.

I’m very familiar with LTCC printed heaters but those are sintered, I don’t believe the same manufacturing capabilities exist with glass, AFAIK.

I feel like we need a drawing to discuss this further.

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
I'm guessing what you are describing is along similar lines to the glass symphony? Instead of a cartridge heater encapsulated in glass you use a slug of ferric metal?

Cheebsy,

nms

Say the metal cup is recessed from the air path - where would the herb and air go? OP mentioned a Dynavap style principal, in which the herb sits amongst while the metal is doing all the thermal transfer. If you recessed a Dynavap in glass you would basically have an Arizer Air - a glass conduction vape.

I’m very familiar with LTCC printed heaters but those are sintered, I don’t believe the same manufacturing capabilities exist with glass, AFAIK.

I feel like we need a drawing to discuss this further.

I have no clue on the details as I have 0 experience on all things related, but I was imagining somewhat of convection system, where a heating element was revested inside the vapour path by glass itself, so it'd be like metal/highly absorvent material->Encased in glass connected to the outer glass from the vapour path to increase area of contact->Vapour Path->outer glass->everything else.

nms,

scy123

but I was imagining somewhat of convection system,

With conduction it would be pretty doable to have an induction based all glass path vape, but convection I doubt you will be able to get sufficient glass to air heat transfer to make it work well without a lot of work.

The thing is you can also do this with using coils to heat the glass and coil tech is better imo.

scy123,
Top Bottom