The Yoga of Throat Control - Advanced Vapor Techniques Collection

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
I think about this shit too much, and thought I'd share.

I believe we all form throat skills as vaporists, and that there is probably a considerable physical component, almost like a callous that forms to help desensitize the tickle in our throat

But there is also a point where we reach the ability to transmute the physical sensations, not like a real Synesthete, where we feel numbers or colors, but at least a dissociative experiene where the sensation and possibly pain are changed into something else momentarily

Synesthesia (also spelled synsthesia or synaesthesia, plural synesthesiae or synaesthesiae), from the ancient Greek ??? (syn), "together," and ???????? (aisth?sis), "sensation," is a neurologically-based condition in which stimulation of one sensory or cognitive pathway leads to automatic, involuntary experiences in a second sensory or cognitive pathway.[1][2][3][4] People who report such experiences are known as synesthetes.

I think arguably our throat skills are the main skills that helps us vaporize, other than acquired knowledge

0. Neutral Throat
Position Zero - there is no compression, and your lungs are holding in the vapor, the throat is completely open. this is the desired position, as it exerts the least amount of pressure on the lungs and tissues. it's old-school common knowledge to hold in your hits without closing your throat, but not always easy to do for the duration of a hit.

1. the Flapper Lid

this is like the flap on top a diesel rig, it's not trying to keep anything in, just a light lid to separate the vapor in the lungs from the throat tissues, but all the vapor is held in by lung control

this feels like it's low in the throat

2. the Goiter Lock

this is where the throat muscles form a more or less solid constriction, where nothing's allowed to pass from above or below a three inch section of the throat

handy when you've over-inhaled and the vapor is slightly compressed in the lungs, or, to totally suppress the cough mechanism once activated

3. Sensitivity Management, or replacing one sensation with another,

This is the peak of throat control techniques, it goes to the inner reaches of our mind, and replaces the sensation we are experiencing in our throats with another

it helps to be vaped when you do this, in fact, maybe it's all in our heads and we have to be vaped to "believe" we're doing this, hahaha

Face it, with a big potent hit in our lungs, our brains can seem like their screaming from the experience, and a little concentration may be needed to quell the urge to cough it all out before we're done with it.

this may also boil down to putting up with one sensation if we believe it suits our greater purpose, like a dog chewing it's own leg off

but nevertheless it seems that when i am experiencing strong sensitivity in my throat during a hit, I am able to imagine it somewhere else and sometimes I imagine it's "blue" and it helps put it off.

Side Techniques: The Hold and Wiggle

When a cough could not be stymied, it can still be held in, and in holding in a cough, one will either experience it in a negative way, as in something that must be done and is very unpleasureable, or it can be something you get on top of...and enjoy because it gets you higher.

By forming a Goiter Lock you prevent any gas from escaping, and effectively lock in the cough. By concentrating on the activity you can focus on the sensations of the drug taking effect, and it forms a kind of "wiggle" as opposed to a pounding. Then each heave of the lungs becomes a small jolt of pleasure.
----------------------------------------------------

how does this compare with your experience?

I acccept the idea that there may only be a physical component, like a callous, and the rest is just coping mechanisms after that callous forms, but it seems so real while i'm thinking it

VWFringe,

djonkoman

I don't really understand everything you're going on about....
I just inhale it like regular air untill my lungs are full/almost full(last bit is some regular air intake), I keep it in for a moment(closed mouth, not forcefull holding it in, but just holding it in like regular air) and then I slowly release it, not blow it all out in one cloud because I like how it slowly lingers in front of my face when exhaling
and often I exhale in small puffs

vapor feels just slightly different from regular air, at least with my own weed(grown by me outdoor), with some not properly flushed coffeeshopweed it can be a lot harsher almost like smoke, but if it's that harsh it isn't enjoyable to vape anymore(one time when it was really harsh I ended up mixing it with my own harvest wich made it a lot better, haven't bought anything for a while now since I enjoy my own harvest better anyway)
so there's no discomfort wich I have to curve into something else, it's just slightly heavier air

with smoke I do get a coughreflex sometimes(especially with a joint with tobacco, I dislike tobacco), wich I can keep in usually only sometimes I can't keep it in and then I cough with my mouth closed keeping the smoke locked in while I have coughing movements in my throat
I don't really regard the feeling as smoke as positive or negative(except tobaccosmoke, wich keeps tingling a lot longer and generally just feels a lot more annoying/negative then pure weedsmoke)

djonkoman,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
i guess what i'm describing, hopefully in flowery detail, is the different levels of effort we exert to hold in a hit that's giving us a hard time...as most of mine seem to do, haha

VWFringe,

Pappy

shmaporist
@ VW > Not familiar with your terminology but I get the picture. Nothing is more unpleasant to me than trying to suppress a cough and losing the battle with a forced exhale though the nose and sinuses. This creates secondary soreness in the roof of my mouth that can last several days.

Pappy,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
* pakalolo sits down with Pappy under the "Cough of Razor Blades" banner

pakalolo,
"The Yoga of Throat Control" has to be the dirtiest-sounding FC post ever. That chapter is waaay in the back of the Kama Sutra.

I like the idea of "callouses" building up in parts of the mouth and throat, I definitely see some truth in this.

charliedontsurf,

crawdad

floatin
charliedontsurf said:
"The Yoga of Throat Control" has to be the dirtiest-sounding FC post ever. That chapter is waaay in the back of the Kama Sutra.

:lol: yeah, i went there too when i read the title.

"putting up with one sensation if we believe it suits our greater purpose", this reflects well on how i handle the peppery or hot hits, feeling like your throat is getting coated with hot resin...i know when i get a huge hit its going to be felt and if i let it go, much of my bowl will go away without full absorption so i hold on...letting go is for when the bowl is done. :2c:

that said, i had a 2 minute choke session this past weekend off a single hit...its awesome for giving everyone around you the giggles apparently.

crawdad,

kewpcer

I'm glad somebody brought this up. I'm suffering right now from absentmindedly losing my shit on a big whip rip from 3 days ago. Raw throat and aching lungs from coughing for 2 days after the damage was done. You've got to make sure you stay in control. I find that with a whip, the vapor is cooled enough that by the time I get the lung "itch" I've got a trash bag full of milk in my lungs and I'm coughing it through my eyes. Ugh. +1

kewpcer,

Pappy

shmaporist
kewpcer said:
I'm glad somebody brought this up. I'm suffering right now from absentmindedly losing my shit on a big whip rip from 3 days ago. Raw throat and aching lungs from coughing for 2 days after the damage was done. You've got to make sure you stay in control. I find that with a whip, the vapor is cooled enough that by the time I get the lung "itch" I've got a trash bag full of milk in my lungs and I'm coughing it through my eyes. Ugh. +1
I snotted one myself yesterday, and today you know I'm sore! :lol:

Pappy,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
i know exactly what youre getting at VW, many of these things i have learned as a student of classical voice, maybe i can try and clarify things a little for those unnaccustomed to closely monitoring their anatomy

if im not mistaken, neutral throat is where your vocal chords and eppiglottis stay completely open, and air is retained through action of the itercostals and the diaphragm. it is kind of difficult to begin with but as you strengthen the muscles (which having strong breathing apparatus is a very good idea just in general for everyday life) it becomes easier. this method also strains the vocal chords less because you arent clamping down with them to contain the air pressure in the lungs. this kind of action is actually used in many yoga breathing excersizes (pranayama) and again strengthening of the diaphram and intercostals can have many health benefits just in its own right
the "flapper lid" probably refers to using the vocal chords to contain the air pressure. basically its like closing vocal chords to talk or sing but the muscles in the larynx have to clamp down harder. not neccessarily a bad thing to do, but it can tire the muscles if you have any particular need to use them
goiter stop is closing the vocal chords even tighter and lowering of the epiglottis, the primary function of which is to close to keep food and liquid from getting into your lungs

on the subject of coughing an lasting aftereffectrs ive noticed quite a lot that if vapor is coughed into my sinuses it is extremely irritating, to remedy this, whenever i know im going to cough, i first blow out all the vapor in my lungs, quickly inhale fresh air, and THEN i cough, it helps very much to do that

Acolyte of Zinglon,
Reactions: snaffle

crawdad

floatin
i appreciated all the posts VW, i got it...ive been practicing this for a while actually...as well as other things like eye blinks, lol...more of trip related so i'll stop there.

crawdad,

Nycdeisel

nice post, I wouldnt feel hesitant to edit the OP as long as you note that some things were changed.

I understand pretty much all of this because I do it all the time, however I have never been able to put it into words like this. the locking of your throat is really important I find to hold in a hit. I also have quite a lot of experience playing with breathing techniques using many different pieces with their own type of airflow.

lol I even have this vapor bong video where I inhale for about 40 seconds straight. that one was pretty tough and Im sure if I didnt have that skill set of controlling my throat and such that I wouldnt be able to do anything like that!

thanks for the informational post, VW! :)

Nycdeisel,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
I think I got it wrong now, as over the past months I've had no more *out-of-body experiences, but have honed in on another theory....

It's not about throat control, it's about vapor control....

not letting the vapor touch those membranes that aren't used to being touched by vapor...

and, I believe I am now holding my vapor higher in my throat without the urge to cough as much, which makes me wonder if I'm developing a waxy build-up in that part of my throat, allowing me to hold my hits longer as my throat pushes down and then allows the vapor to come back up just a bit.

*Though I am doing this weird thing with my mind and the second-hand of the clock that seems to effect how quickly thirty seconds seems to pass, hahaha (watching the destination, and not the hand as it creeps, so it's just self-hypnosis not anything metaphysical)

VWFringe,

crawdad

floatin
that might be for you, not going to judge that...but for me, it is about control but more importantly, letting go. something that comes natural when vaped, i mean a full let go. of course, i could be making that up and indeed is a "coating" effect going on. but for me it does not last to the next day, i have to start the process over again so i dont think im coating long term.

if i start low with the hits (smaller hits) and build up then i can handle very large hits with no gag/cough reflex whatsoever, and normally i cannot...ive tried that theory many times and its always the case. for me.

ha, ive done the clock thing too...its helped me grasp the concept of time better, i think. what is really cool is when sounds slow down or are elongated, makes ya wonder where the current sounds are when all you hear is the past.

crawdad,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
"Stranger in a Strange Land" by Heinlein, got me interested in slowing time...the way the main character, Valentine Michael Smith, was able to speed up his thinking so it appeared everything was moving in slow motion, allowing him to drive around traffic better...hehe

VWFringe,

EarthFriend

Yeah, this is very interesting. I know I started vaping in the first place because when I was smoking (and was decently high) I was always able to visualize exactly what was happening in my lungs. All of the impurities and tar in my lungs... Not a good experience. With vaporizing, it's a a great experience, I visualize more like a healing, soothing mist. :)

EarthFriend,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
there's another board where someone posted this of his exhale, and asked others to do the same
1365168d1294269240-yummy-lung-gunk-img_4020.jpg

so I posted mine, eight hits thru the same spot...there's stuff there, it's just not black i told him
di-L1VT.jpg

VWFringe,

Gazaam

With great respect, you all appear to be a little nuts! Sip don't gulp and you won't have this problem. Is this a contest to see who can fuck up their bronchi and lungs the most???

Gazaam,

steama

All kinds of crazy stuff distracts me --- I am fearful it has rubbed off and contaminated by mind.
Excuse me please while I have a goiter lock gulp of cannabis. Seriously.

:p

steama,

AJS

Calm Consistency
I think about this shit too much, and thought I'd share.

I believe we all form throat skills as vaporists, and that there is probably a considerable physical component, almost like a callous that forms to help desensitize the tickle in our throat

But there is also a point where we reach the ability to transmute the physical sensations, not like a real Synesthete, where we feel numbers or colors, but at least a dissociative experiene where the sensation and possibly pain are changed into something else momentarily

I think arguably our throat skills are the main skills that helps us vaporize, other than acquired knowledge

0. Neutral Throat
Position Zero - there is no compression, and your lungs are holding in the vapor, the throat is completely open. this is the desired position, as it exerts the least amount of pressure on the lungs and tissues. it's old-school common knowledge to hold in your hits without closing your throat, but not always easy to do for the duration of a hit.

1. the Flapper Lid

this is like the flap on top a diesel rig, it's not trying to keep anything in, just a light lid to separate the vapor in the lungs from the throat tissues, but all the vapor is held in by lung control

this feels like it's low in the throat

2. the Goiter Lock

this is where the throat muscles form a more or less solid constriction, where nothing's allowed to pass from above or below a three inch section of the throat

handy when you've over-inhaled and the vapor is slightly compressed in the lungs, or, to totally suppress the cough mechanism once activated

3. Sensitivity Management, or replacing one sensation with another,

This is the peak of throat control techniques, it goes to the inner reaches of our mind, and replaces the sensation we are experiencing in our throats with another

it helps to be vaped when you do this, in fact, maybe it's all in our heads and we have to be vaped to "believe" we're doing this, hahaha

Face it, with a big potent hit in our lungs, our brains can seem like their screaming from the experience, and a little concentration may be needed to quell the urge to cough it all out before we're done with it.

this may also boil down to putting up with one sensation if we believe it suits our greater purpose, like a dog chewing it's own leg off

but nevertheless it seems that when i am experiencing strong sensitivity in my throat during a hit, I am able to imagine it somewhere else and sometimes I imagine it's "blue" and it helps put it off.

Side Techniques: The Hold and Wiggle

When a cough could not be stymied, it can still be held in, and in holding in a cough, one will either experience it in a negative way, as in something that must be done and is very unpleasureable, or it can be something you get on top of...and enjoy because it gets you higher.

By forming a Goiter Lock you prevent any gas from escaping, and effectively lock in the cough. By concentrating on the activity you can focus on the sensations of the drug taking effect, and it forms a kind of "wiggle" as opposed to a pounding. Then each heave of the lungs becomes a small jolt of pleasure.
----------------------------------------------------

how does this compare with your experience?

I acccept the idea that there may only be a physical component, like a callous, and the rest is just coping mechanisms after that callous forms, but it seems so real while i'm thinking it
I feel like you're reading my mind...

I constrict my throat in a way that makes vaping much smoother. When I relax everything and just inhale i feel the harshness and I think wow I bet this is what noobs are doing when they inhale.

I didn't know anyone ever analyzed that though, well done man.

AJS,
Top Bottom