Discontinued The Splinter by RBT

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbm

@jbm Thank you!

I've read on here that I can preheat before my first draw at 40W for 5 seconds, then drop it down and do my pulls anywhere in the mid 30s? Is there a guide for something like this or do I just have to get a feel for it because every cell/mod combo makes for a different splinter experience?

I have my mod set up to preheat for 2 sec at 20% (I think, don’t have it here) boost and then cruise until I press the button again. I wouldn’t go over 50w, so adjust accordingly, though I don’t think 2 seconds a little over would hurt anything.
And also @bossman is right, you should set wattage increment to 1W. Saves a lot of time.

noobvaperct

One other question I had is around cleaning and how often.

I've read on here that Iso Alcohol is used to clean the stems and basket? So how often is recommended? And do you just leave them soaking in Iso for a while? Just curious around this part.

noobvaperct,

jbm

I've read on here that Iso Alcohol is used to clean the stems and basket? So how often is recommended? And do you just leave them soaking in Iso for a while? Just curious around this part.
I have a jar of iso that I chuck baskets into and shake, every few days I fish them out, shake them up in a jar with a little dish soap and water, then rinse them and let them dry. I tend to let stems go awhile, probably longer than I should.

jbm,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
@jbm Thank you!

I've read on here that I can preheat before my first draw at 40W for 5 seconds, then drop it down and do my pulls anywhere in the mid 30s? Is there a guide for something like this or do I just have to get a feel for it because every cell/mod combo makes for a different splinter experience?

There is no guide.

I pre-heat for as long as my mods allow at 50W (one is 2 seconds, the other 5). I find that mid-30s is too high for my tastes, but that could suit you just fine. I prefer low temperature microdosing, so I start at 20W for a couple of hits, then go to 22W for a couple more, then 25W. I might finish the load there or sometimes I'll go to 30W, but I usually find that is too harsh and the flavour is poor. If you want clouds and like to finish a bowl in 2-4 hits, mid-30s is probably where you want to be.

You can soak glass stems or screens as long as you like, but I find that 5 minutes is plenty. RBT vapes aren't especially dirty, so I don't find I need to do this often. I do the screens when they start to clog up, which depends a lot on the strains I'm using. I clean the stems when I get disgusted with them, which is to say not that often. While I can detect the effect of a dirty stem on the flavour, I don't mind it but perhaps you will. Bottom line is, don't worry about it. You'll know when to clean things.

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
I recommend making stem milk with the reclaim but the XL8R stems are hard to get totally clean afterward with the cashew milk I use.

bossman,

almost there

I recommend making stem milk with the reclaim but the XL8R stems are hard to get totally clean afterward with the cashew milk I use.
I’ve never been able to fully clean the xl8r’s. Neither hot water, liquid soap nor iso ever removed those pesky fatty stains. I do what I can with a straw cleaning brush as a final step and call it a day

edit- actually once I torched it:D

almost there,
Reactions: bossman

chrismaddahl

I had a similar thought, but I'm not sure if its worth trying out:

I would take some pure alcohol/ethanol and submerge my XLR8 and screen in it everytime there is some buildup in them. I would do this for a few month to rise the concentration in the alcohol solution.
After that I can evaporate the alcohol and I should have some nice THC concentrate.

So far my theory, you think this would work?

chrismaddahl,
Reactions: TiSteamo

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
I’ve never been able to fully clean the xl8r’s. Neither hot water, liquid soap nor iso ever removed those pesky fatty stains. I do what I can with a straw cleaning brush as a final step and call it a day

edit- actually once I torched it:D
Yeah, I tried harder with my iso and salt approach this time and will be curious this morning to see if it did any better. I have a cheap ultrasonic cleaner in the mix too. I'm gonna try Hippie's suggestion if they didn't get completely clean.

Denture cleaning tabs like steradent will fizz up and eat through the gunk in the hard to reach places .... and rinse out afters
Cool suggestion and less hassle than using the dishwasher (which isn't my habit) and getting some small funnels to direct more spray into the skinny stems.

I would take some pure alcohol/ethanol and submerge my XLR8 and screen in it everytime there is some buildup in them. I would do this for a few month to rise the concentration in the alcohol solution.
After that I can evaporate the alcohol and I should have some nice THC concentrate.

That is something I've heard folks talk about but I'm not sure how to go about it and I don't know which ethanol product would be appropriate for something like that.

Coustu

Well I pulled the trigger on a splinter and splinter z finally! Pretty excited about it. Never had a 510 herb vape but always wanted one. Advice needed... on mod SIZE in particular. I read or saw in a review that the larger size of the z requires a larger mod so that it won’t be top heavy. Less chance of tipping over. Not concerned about the power so much but more concerned about the ergonomics. For those of you with the z, do you prefer a 3 battery mod? Would a 4 battery mod be overkill? I have a 2 battery mod for the splinter. Will likely use splinter as portable with a wooden stem and use the z with water pipe at home. Thoughts?

jbm

Well I pulled the trigger on a splinter and splinter z finally! Pretty excited about it. Never had a 510 herb vape but always wanted one. Advice needed... on mod SIZE in particular. I read or saw in a review that the larger size of the z requires a larger mod so that it won’t be top heavy. Less chance of tipping over. Not concerned about the power so much but more concerned about the ergonomics. For those of you with the z, do you prefer a 3 battery mod? Would a 4 battery mod be overkill? I have a 2 battery mod for the splinter. Will likely use splinter as portable with a wooden stem and use the z with water pipe at home. Thoughts?
I have 2 custom Zs and I have one on a Wismec Gen3 Reauleaux Dual and one on a Lost Vape Paranormal 250C. I think a 3 battery mod could be overkill, except in that you could go longer between battery changes. I actually like the Reauleaux a little better in terms of ergonomics in that the 510 attachment is in the center of the mod, so I can lay the mod down with the Splinter attached and the Splinter doesn’t touch the surface.

jbm,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)

Here is some comparison shots with three different popular Wismec mods. On the left we have my Splinter V2 on the Sinuous P80 single battery (the button here is the entire screen, you press in near the top) then middle is my Canarywood custom Z on Reuleaux RX Gen3 Dual two battery (typically abbreviated as G3D) and on the right we have my Purpleheart custom Z on Reuleaux RX250 three battery (this one is a DNA250 chip limited edition design):

IMG-20200111-142947529.jpg

IMG-20200111-142634029.jpg

These are all great options because they allow you to set them down on their side, keeping the Splinter itself hovering above the surface. I prefer a mod that is enough clearance surrounding the Splinter to do this, to protect the 510 connection. Sometimes the P80 can roll with the V2 attached though, not such a big deal since the diameter is almost exact fortunately. The RX's are nice with their angled edges, ideal for setting on its side with a splinter attached:

IMG-20200111-142414334.jpg

IMG-20200111-141900344.jpg

Here is a sort of size comparison with some stems and the batteries below, these are all pretty compact mods. The bronze one is of course the heaviest however it is still ergonomic in the hand, and the G3D is surprisingly tiny no heavier than the P80 too...

IMG-20200111-141153350.jpg

So you just have to decide on a form factor along with battery life and brand style. Anything should work well enough, but DNA will give you some precision and downloadable temperature profiles. The others will give you the option to load custom firmware with various options like Cruise / Autofire and the ability to tinker setting up your own temp control.

The P80 is set up with TCR using ArcticFox firmware for the V2 (the one relevant to this thread, since it is for the regular splinter) and it is working quite well I must say. Very solid portable, got to be a little careful since it is a little more fragile than a basic metal pen is all. A worthy trade-off imo, and yes more portable than a Z, V2 more efficient with single battery mods too.

I'll talk more about how I have the Splinter Zs set up on those mods cross-posting in that thread... My G3D has surmyevic now, but it would work with ArcticFox and also Tubo firmware now as does the P80 work with all three.

I did have my V2 on the bronze DNA before, and it worked quite well though I didn't have it as properly configured as my Z on it is. I have also used my V2 in wattage mode on the P80 with stock firmware, but I am much preferring the TCR setup I have now...

Last edited:

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure

Could you post your TCR settings for the V2?

Here's a pic of my V2 settings on the rxg3d:
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-splinter-by-rbt.23476/page-203#post-1438726

@Coustu I recommend the Wismec RX Gen3 Dual for both the V2 and ZV2 initially. @Shit Snacks gets good results from a V2 on the Wismec Sinuous P80. I do think a one cell mod is insufficient for the power needs of a Z though. And yeah, I think four cells is overkill unless you you don't mind the heft. I'd stick to the common mods on these threads that support Arctic Fox or the myevic firmware.

I've purchased several RX Gen3 Duals from China stores like sourcemore with no issues other than fifteen or twenty days to ship.

I'd also keep an eye on the Splinter and Splinter Z threads for the next time a DNA250C deal comes around.

TiSteamo

VAPEnsiero... sull'ali dorate...

Yes, It works great! :nod::leaf:

TiSteamo,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal

I have done this a couple times, but the taste was so nasty that I don't do it anymore. I end up tossing the ISO after it gets too gunky. A waste, I know, but I can deal with that.
I use 90% ISO.

TiSteamo

I have done this a couple times, but the taste was so nasty that I don't do it anymore. I end up tossing the ISO after it gets too gunky. A waste, I know, but I can deal with that.
I use 90% ISO.
If you use isopropyl alcohol I have no doubt that It sucks! And it's toxic!

You have to use food alcohol, the one you use to make cocktails or desserts.

The smell of resin-laden alcohol is one of the best things there is. :p

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure

Thanks for this tip. Is there an existing How To somewhere I should bookmark? I didn't even know ethanol was food grade alcohol

bossman,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal

I believe 190 proof Everclear is illegal in all states of the US other than Nevada and Texas. The 151 proof version is more widely available. Barcardi 151 Rum was recently discontinued due to lawsuits. I wouldn't mind trying Everclear if I could find it.
According to Quora...
It is illegal to sell or purchase ANY FORM of Everclear in New Hampshire, Nevada, California, Ohio, Florida, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Hawaii, Iowa, Minnesota and North Carolina.

We're kinda off topic here, sorry...

Last edited:
cybrguy,

TiSteamo

@cybrguy

it's illegal? I can not believe!
if one wants to kill himself, he can also do it with bleach.
so what do we do?
do we make bleach illegal?

Thanks for this tip. Is there an existing How To somewhere I should bookmark? I didn't even know ethanol was food grade alcohol
I don't understand if you're kidding me ...:D

TiSteamo,

Coustu

I believe 190 proof Everclear is illegal in all states of the US other than Nevada and Texas. The 151 proof version is more widely available. Barcardi 151 Rum was recently discontinued due to lawsuits. I wouldn't mind trying Everclear if I could find it.
According to Quora...
It is illegal to sell or purchase ANY FORM of Everclear in New Hampshire, Nevada, California, Ohio, Florida, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Hawaii, Iowa, Minnesota and North Carolina.

We're kinda off topic here, sorry...
Not all states. I can get it in Maryland. But in some states it IS illegal.

Coustu,

TiSteamo

@bossman

Ok, your silence tells me you weren't kidding ...:)
Yes, ethyl alcohol (or ethanol, if you wish) is for food use.

I dip the glass mouthpieces or all the vapcap (except the cap) for a few hours. When the alcohol turns champagne-coloured it means that it is ready for extraction.

I do an extraction every two weeks or so.

I pour the alcohol into a large and low pot ( Do not use one with a non-stick base because then you will have to "scratch" ...) and turn on the heat to a minimum, being careful never to boil the alcohol because the cannabinoids burn.

It is a procedure to be performed with the utmost caution!
Alcohol + fire: potential danger.

Be careful!

When the alcohol has completely evaporated (I follow everything step by step) you can collect everything with a razor blade and form a ball or, as I do, lick the bowl with a few grams of CBD trim.
In this way I get a cannabis mince mixed with a hash oil.
Heavenly. :peace:

Last edited:

chrismaddahl

@TiSteamo
wow, thanks for the tip, I will definitly try that

Here in Germany we can freely buy pure ethanol.
It's heavily taxed, but as long as your 18 you can buy it.
I can even order it online with amazon. ;-)

But cannabis is still illegal here... :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom