Discontinued The Splinter by RBT

Status
Not open for further replies.

natural farmer

@natural farmer the first iteration will use the existing Milaana heater and simply mount it in a round piece of wood and affix it to a 510 base... picture it like an Arizer Air. A future design will address the height. It's not if, it's done other than the details ;)

@Lookatmeglow i dig a parabolic design as well.
I don't know man... If the first version will be as pictured I can't seem to understand who would use it... It looks to big for an atty and if the stem is accounted for as well then it's gonna be veeeery long overall... And unregulated...
When there is already a lot of work put into such kind of a device (Project by Pipes) why going for an endeavour that seems a step backward? Why not join forces with Pipes and bring a super economic Project Eraser in the market with all kinds of exotic wooden sleeves and a variety of stems (I call dibs on the first spalted maple one!!! :p) and be ahead of the Chinese cause, man, when they find out about the Project they will flood the market and everyone will be able to get such a super duper regulated on-demand convection vaporizer for pennies. It might shake the whole vaporizer market this one! Please talk with Pipes about this. I hate to see all this business going to the Chinese, I prefer to see a quality product! You could have this ready even before the last preorder Zion reaches its owner. All you need is some drilling and lathe work to make the sleeves. It would sell like crazy such a premium atty! I am not sure what Pipes has in mind for the future or if he might already be in talks with someone else but I'd love to see this coming asap in the market. Maybe I talk out of my ass, please correct me if all these sound crazy...

RastaBuddhaTao

Manufacturer
Thanks natural farmer for the perspective. RBT business plan is posted on my web page if you are interested in the detailed plan for the year. Your right, this will come quickly as the Zion pre-orders are being built @thekarmawhore will finalize the Mi-Zion. This will be a quick entry point into the market to onboard retailers and show the RBT heater tech in a 510 format. As the Mi-510 is being launched Karma will be finalizing the detail on a brand new 510 design that will minimize the size. We will see if the size puts people off as much as it does you.

I definitely appreciate what pipes has going and will reach out to him at some point to share knowledge. It's really nice to commiserate with the vaper makers here at FC. Word-up at @Pipes !!!!

little maggie

Add me to the waitlist please. Also have you considered adding the kind of screened stem that cannabis pro makes? To me that would make the milaana or milaana like equipment more marketable.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
My biggest concern is it may end up bigger than a Milaana, in which I'm not sure which functionality the mod would be providing considering same 18650 battery technology. I know portability is subjective, but Im curious if the point of this is to be pocketable, or just to be powered by a mod?

I feel like the further the sizing gets from a standard ecig RDA atomizer, the less of a mainstream appeal will be possible.

TBH the Project looks pretty big too. I'd love to see RBT heater technology in something like the Divine Tribe V2 rebuildable atomizer. IMO this is about as large of a form factor as I want for my pocket. Since everything is already there you would just have to adapt your heater instead of designing an entire atomizer. Not sure if that is easy or not, never seen the heater.

DSC06802.jpg

RastaBuddhaTao

Manufacturer
Thanks for the feedback @invertedisdead ... yeh I've been following the Tribe as well as the Tubo Evic. unfortunately it's more complicated than that. We have a future design that would squeeze the form factor closer to your average addy.

Milaana is an unregulated device which means the wattage drops as the battery drains. This project gives Zion regulation to the Milaana heater without all the expense of batteries, chargers, electronics and labor intensive wooden body (only the wooden sleeve is required) given that the target customer has them already.

Remember, the button, bottom cap take up 1/3 of the Milaana height so it will not be as tall. Depending on how much cooling you desire you can run it with a 1" long mouthpiece to cut down the size. Throw it on a Nugget or Target mini-Mod and it should be manageable. If need be you can spin off the atty break it down for transport.

Give @thekarmawhore a few months to dial in the CAD models and we will see where we end up with the Beta units. Remember, the unit pictured above is a rough prototype with a sub-par form factor.

b0

Cloudy...
Thanks for the feedback @invertedisdead ... yeh I've been following the Tribe as well as the Tubo Evic. unfortunately it's more complicated than that. We have a future design that would squeeze the form factor closer to your average addy.

Milaana is an unregulated device which means the wattage drops as the battery drains. This project gives Zion regulation to the Milaana heater without all the expense of batteries, chargers, electronics and labor intensive wooden body (only the wooden sleeve is required) given that the target customer has them already.

Remember, the button, bottom cap take up 1/3 of the Milaana height so it will not be as tall. Depending on how much cooling you desire you can run it with a 1" long mouthpiece to cut down the size. Throw it on a Nugget or Target mini-Mod and it should be manageable. If need be you can spin off the atty break it down for transport.

Give @thekarmawhore a few months to dial in the CAD models and we will see where we end up with the Beta units. Remember, the unit pictured above is a rough prototype with a sub-par form factor.

If you were able to make it fight in a Knight v2 mod it would be perfect!

5842301-13.jpg

In this mod it would have a much smaller size :)

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer

Definitely excited and tuned in to see how this unfolds!

invertedisdead,

Lookatmeglow

I seem to have a bad case of VAS
I'd have to find a nice wooden box mod with temp control to fit this :D I don't think it would suit the ones I have.

Seconded. I would want something that matched the appeal of the wood and kept the natural look. Would love it to fit the knight smoant v2 too @b0, but I think I would prefer a wood mod for it. The knight smoant v2 will more than likely be the mod I use with my herc when I get it.

RastaBuddhaTao

Manufacturer
@natural farmer here is the admittedly crude and sub-optimized 14 mm Mi-510 which should somewhat address your size concern. Still have the glass mouthpiece that adds length depending on your cooling requirements. However, if optimized and wrapped in @Alan wood and inserted with an @DDave creation and it might not be a half bad?

So, 18 mm gives ya an nice big load chamber and limited draw resistance but 14 mm is smaller and works well for microdosing... So which do folks like more and why?

https://instagram.com/p/BQMaiJigiXr/

DieHard

Accessory supplier
Accessory Maker
I think this will be a great application of Zion heater tech. It will open the door to convection goodness for anyone who already has a Mod with enough balls to fire all cylinders. A real Pocket Rocket!!

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
I second the concerns about size, mainly because the "Project" which is already super small on its own, is considered already "super long" when on top of a mod and with the stock stem.

A lot of people did remarks about its size surprisingly (and I'm not even mentioning those who said it's unsightly and like if I hacked it myself... the DIY look is strong on the "Eraser" version. But let's be careful here: like the "uncanny valley" in robotics, here people are focusing on the differences between our devices and classic e-cigs)

This is an issue that @funkyjunky tried to address with his tuboevic product. The idea is to have the atty mounted like a sidecar rather than in-line with the mod.

Another approach is to have a L-shaped mod (a bit like the Zion or the MistTouch) to lower the atty and gain a bit of height. @natural farmer and me just ordered the Smoant Knight 2 mod which implements that idea. But it's less featured than other models and it can only accommodate up to 22mm OD attachments.

Talking about features, will your mesh heater support TC mode or just Power (VW) mode?

AJS

Calm Consistency
@natural farmer here is the admittedly crude and sub-optimized 14 mm Mi-510 which should somewhat address your size concern. Still have the glass mouthpiece that adds length depending on your cooling requirements. However, if optimized and wrapped in @Alan wood and inserted with an @DDave creation and it might not be a half bad?

So, 18 mm gives ya an nice big load chamber and limited draw resistance but 14 mm is smaller and works well for microdosing... So which do folks like more and why?

https://instagram.com/p/BQMaiJigiXr/
I use my 14mm adapter 98% of the time in my Milaana. It's just so convenient! I may be in the minority here as there are a lot of heavy dosers but a 14mm is all I need and seems the most economically friendly and all around more effective at delivering meds imo.

Copacetic

Somewhere North of The Wall
I second the concerns about size, mainly because the "Project" which is already super small on its own, is considered already "super long" when on top of a mod and with the stock stem.

A lot of people did remarks about its size surprisingly (and I'm not even mentioning those who said it's unsightly and like if I hacked it myself... the DIY look is strong on the "Eraser" version. But let's be careful here: like the "uncanny valley" in robotics, here people are focusing on the differences between our devices and classic e-cigs)

This is an issue that @funkyjunky tried to address with his tuboevic product. The idea is to have the atty mounted like a sidecar rather than in-line with the mod.

Another approach is to have a L-shaped mod (a bit like the Zion or the MistTouch) to lower the atty and gain a bit of height. @natural farmer and me just ordered the Smoant Knight 2 mod which implements that idea. But it's less featured than other models and it can only accommodate up to 22mm OD attachments.

Talking about features, will your mesh heater support TC mode or just Power (VW) mode?

I too own a Smoant Knight 2.
I think it accepts 23.5mm attys, and offers the following modes:
VW
Ni
TI
SS
NC (I confess that I don't know what this is :shrug:)
And 3 slots for different TCR set-ups.

I have no idea what chip Smoant are using here, or whether any of the custom firmware mentioned in other threads can be utilised.

I can say however that I would also love to see a TC RBT heater of 23mm or under to fit the Knight 2.

Inspired by Pipes project I made myself a modded RDA with a stainless mesh heater, and it works spectacularly well, but I haven't managed to get it to work in any of the TC modes (yet).

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Ok, 2 votes for 14. I'll vote for 18 as I like the bigger load chamber for blowing up the water sesh. @pakalolo is my go to guy for microdosing so I'll shoot the Proof of Concept unit his way and see what he thinks. It's come a long way since the little bugger so I am hoping he is plesantly suprised this time.

You can count me for 18mm to make it a tie, I prefer the wider bowls and have no issue microdosing at all. With a reducer 14mm can still work thanks to DDave's mod, so unless 14 really makes it that much smaller I say keep RBT's trademark 18mm freeflowing beastliness

fluffhead

Recovering Idealist
I think the 14mm vs 18mm debate comes down to what you are looking for in this.
If you are looking for something small that would look neater on a mod but would likely be limited? I would go with 14mm.
If you are looking for something that is more versatile but won't be small? I would go with 18.

For my personal use? I would (and do) choose 14mm. I love the ddave basket screens and they are big enough for my size bowl.

Vape Dr.

Exactly how much larger is 18 over 14?

After thinking about it, I think smaller is better.
I don't think someone would grab the 510 for a session, rather for a quick run to the store or what not.

Also being an adapter to a mod box, I would like to see it closer to the size of an E-juice tank.

As for stealth, nobody shares their E-juice mod box.
I'm thinking it would be a great personal portable solution.

So 14/18....... I'm voting for the smallest option. If it does 6-8 draws conveniently and gets me where I want with no charring that would be perfect. As long as it's easy to empty and re-load.

DieHard

Accessory supplier
Accessory Maker
There's no way I'm getting much satisfaction from a 14mm, personally. Though there are several vapes with juggernaut threads that have a similar load dimension as the 14mm. I like big Full hits. For me the smaller load just doesn't contain enough of the flavor goodies for more than one hit. So for my usage, 14mm = One-Hitter.:2c:

vapen00b

Many vapes & accessories. Always happy to help
I'd also vote for 14mm. The MVT has shown me how convenient, efficient and smooth that can be natively. I'd also assume these would rather be used on the go and thus aiming for a smaller design would be beneficial. If stems were short/small enough, I don't think it will be a serious problem to load up 2-3 em them before leaving the house - you should be good to go for some hours?

Either way, I think it's gonna be worth it :)

Copacetic

Somewhere North of The Wall
I vote 14mm.
I love that first-hit flavour the Milaana provides, and am happy to reload often to maximise the lip-smacking.

I am a wierdly low tolerance freak though :shrug:

HEY!
my 808th post!

Dammit, why no image work?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom