The Search for my Next Vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainQ

Hi Guys,

Have been getting involved with vaping really heavily lately, couldnt even imagine going back to combusting, due to cheap and nasty Australian Bongs I have also developed an aversion to water pieces effectively ruling out the VXC Cloud.

Down Under sadly everything is illegal just about, so efficiency is going to be a big concern. I started off with a Magic Flight Launch Box and hated it until yesterday when I finally realised how important a good air seal is and clicked with the box. Taking out the pushback ring has also made it 100x better. I also have an Extreme Q which is just incredible but I have already broken both my whips (and the wait for new ones to be delivered is agony!). I have been pretty much considering every alternative, but have narrowed it down to a Solo, a new RockZap (the whole process sounds so warm and personal), or probably both.

The most important thing to me would be massive hits, efficient on the herb, and good for bedroom use :)

Any thoughts guys? Tempted to just buy both and call it an early christmas!

CaptainQ,

max

Out to lunch
Currently my most used home vapes are a PD and an SSV. If I could get massive hits and efficiency from one, I wouldn't be using both. IMO you can't be "efficient on the herb" and get huge hits. Sure the vape can 'efficiently' give you a big hit, but if you're wasting vapor because you're getting more than you can process, what's the real difference?

You're going to have restricted air flow with both the Solo and a log vape, so neither is going to give you bong type hits. No vape is better for 'encouraging' efficient use of your supply than a log vape, so I'd encourage your interest in the Rockzap. One of our registered retailers - www.australianvaporizers.com.a has a good selection of models, including the 7th Floor vapes, so I'd take a look there and consider a DBV or SSV.

max,

SD_haze

While efficiency & big hits definitely dont go together, most would argue the vapexhale does the most efficient extraction to actually *achieve* big hits.

But as an owner of a supreme (big hits) and now a log vape, i can say its definitely nice having the option.

log for the beginning of the day & big hits for night time
:2c:

SD_haze,

max

Out to lunch
While efficiency & big hits definitely dont go together, most would argue the vapexhale does the most efficient extraction to actually *achieve* big hits.
I've used a Cloud and wouldn't argue that. I'd argue that it does a great job of extraction without having to stir or otherwise rearrange the bowl contents. Where the Cloud can't be beat, IMO, is its ability to provide big, relatively drag free hits, without any worry about how you hit it. Hit it easy. Hit it hard-doesn't matter. It takes 'ease of use' up to bag filler territory. And you could argue that the E, with that big bowl and the cyclone effect, does even a better job of extraction without messing with the bowl contents. But since the E's bowl design doesn't provide a high vapor/air ratio, the 'no stir' similarity pales in comparison. Unfortunately 'efficiency' continues to be a multi definition word when it comes to vaporizing.

max,

CaptainQ

Maybe I should be a little more clear - got the exact responses I was trying to discourage. Why the Cloud looks great, my aversion to glass, and greater aversion to waiting rules it out completely.

I guess the real question is Log Vape vs a Solo for in bedroom use (with the power adapter for the solo so it can be used while charging). There are a number of innovations coming out i.e. the ceramic and stainless steel rockzap, the new ViVape and MiVape (which at the right price point might make an amazing combo), etc.

The AustralianVaporizers.com.au shoutout is intriguing, their prices are borderline highway robbery considering the turn of the AUD in recent times.

Pretty much should I wait?

CaptainQ,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
I think you've still got a little wait before the Zap is available to us 'foreigners', so therefore if you have an aversion to waiting the Solo it is.

I have to say that whilst the RZ is high on my wish list, the functionality of the Solo just slightly trumps the traditional fixed log and so wins my recommendation. Variable temps and the ability to be unchained from that power outlet if you need it. It's opened up a whole new world of around the house vaping which didn't really exist before with my other portables, which always felt a bit of a compromise at home meaning I'd use a plug model and be fixed to a vaping station. I know you say it's intended for the bedroom, but if you had it you could be thoughtlessly vaping whilst in the kitchen cooking, in the bath, taking a dump :uhoh:, gardening, in bed, painting the skirting boards, doing the ironing, fixing the car, vacuuming the carpet... the list goes on. It's portability is a pretty useful option. I've got a fair collection of vapes, but the Solo does seem to be the one I'm using the most both around the home and out and about. So I have to say that if I were in your situation I would buy a Solo. And then I would buy a RZ just for the craic when they were available (maybe from a retailer near you in the future :cool: ) :2c:

WatTyler,

CaptainQ

As sad as it is, I had never considered taking a hit on the crapper. But now the idea is certainly growing on me. The second the AUD comes back up, bring on a Solo :)

Does anyone have any feedback on how long it takes to get medicated with the Solo? How about the bowl size compared to the Extreme Q? How fine do you think the grind needs to be? I'm pretty sure I will need to fashion some screens at some point. Thanks Tyler!

CaptainQ,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
You can't charge a Solo and use it at the same time btw, it's either charge OR use it. The included power supply is a charger and the one they make us buy separately is the thing you can use it with without charging. But yeah, I think you still want one. From what I gather it's a good crossover between the heavy hitters and the super savers.

Not sure if you've kept up with the Solo thread but it would probably be best to wait a few more weeks for the Solo as well unfortunately, since they're revising the bowl at the moment after having a problem with the coating. You could just risk it because they will make good on it if you get one with a chipping bwl, but well, that would be rather crappy advise to give now wouldn't it?

OhTheAgony,

CaptainQ

OhTheAgony, the brackets in my first post were to indicate in aware that you have to purchase the power adapter seperately to charge and use at the same time, I have always fully intended to purchase it. I've also been following the bowl issues closely however with replacement bowls just a postage bag away, I cannot say I'm too concerned. If anything I would not wait because a number of dealers are liquidating stock at alarming prices so I'm jumping on board.

CaptainQ,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Again, you can not charge the Solo and use it at the same time, not even with the separately purchased power supply. It lets you use it on AC but it won't charge the unit.

Some of us are experimenting with a PS2 lite charger that should be able to do the same btw, but these can be found on ebay for around 5 bucks or so. Won't work out of the box though, the power connector is to large to fit the Solo so has to be replaced with one that does.

And well, welcome aboard I guess ;)

OhTheAgony,

CaptainQ

I apologise, I completely worded that wrong I guess the MFLB is working! Using it on AC is more than fine. Now you mention it I do remember reading some posts regarding the PS2 charger, I have a Slim myself and would be more than happy to part with the power cord for the goal of experimentation :) We have a large electronics supplier down the road that sells a number of connectors so might be able to work something out.

Thanks for the welcome :)

CaptainQ,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I figured it had to be something like that ;)

I guess we should move this convo to the Solo thread, but heck, I'm vaped too :lol:

I bought a connector at a local store for my cheap ebay PS charger yesterday, but either he gave me the wrong size, or the needed plug is even smaller then 4mm. I'll swap it tomorrow or the day after for one that does fit so I can finally test if it works, although looking at the specs I see no reason why it wouldn't work. Not sure if WatTyler has already tried his btw, I don't think so.

Perhaps you could find an adapter that you could plug on your PS2 charger so you can still use it for the PS as well? The polarity is the same so you don't have to worry about that.

OhTheAgony,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom