The recipe box, with pics!

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
momofthegoons said:
I am wondering if anyone has cooked with kief here. I was thinking of trying to make indigal's truffles with some, but don't want to waste if it's not a good idea. If you are out there indigal, what's your opinion? Have you done any cooking with kief?
Treat your kif as if you were cooking with hashish - only now you dont have to powder it in the coffee grinder first. Rule of thumb though - make sure you use it for COOKING. I have heard stories of people trying some kif in their tinctures with poor results. Kif will melt into and be absorbed in your butter (or other medium you use) with the heat.

AGBeer,

indigal

Amongst the corn
AGBeer said:
momofthegoons said:
I am wondering if anyone has cooked with kief here. I was thinking of trying to make indigal's truffles with some, but don't want to waste if it's not a good idea. If you are out there indigal, what's your opinion? Have you done any cooking with kief?
Treat your kif as if you were cooking with hashish - only now you dont have to powder it in the coffee grinder first. Rule of thumb though - make sure you use it for COOKING. I have heard stories of people trying some kif in their tinctures with poor results. Kif will melt into and be absorbed in your butter (or other medium you use) with the heat.
Completely agree with AGBeer. You need to cook with it, since it has not been "activated." I've not done this, but I do have a wikka box that has a healthy amount of kief in it. I may give it a shot and post it up. If doing the truffles, I would add the kief to the cream, omit the butter and simmer over low for 15 mins or maybe a little more. I believe that this would work well. I have no idea what the proper dose would be though. I hate making treats too strong that you can't have two without getting :ko:.

indigal,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
I know what you mean indigal. I want it to be more like medicine than a white knuckle ride on the subway. And it's so hard to know how it's going to turn out.

My brownies, for example, are not that strong. You can definately feel them, but it's more like you would feel after a few bowls full, or a beer. Not too high, but mellow. The kief is from the same herb, so I would imagine it would be stronger since the brownies were made from ABV. I think it would be perfect for the truffles. I have a 1/2 ounce tin full of kief at this point. Maybe I'll wait until I have a full oz. It's so darn hard to save it and not vape it!

momofthegoons,

indigal

Amongst the corn
Do you have a digital gram scale?
I have no idea what an ounce container of kief would weigh.. Guessing 3-5 grams if fluffy..?

I need to weigh mine next time- I've been pressing it. I think this is one of those times that weighing it on a decent cheapy digi scale may come in handy. I've seen a great variance in recommended doses in a standard brownie mix, anywhere from 1-5 grams to equal 16 doses.

indigal,

indigal

Amongst the corn
Mom, you've inspired me- I'm going to make some chocolate cookies with some kief tonight. I'll take pics and post them later or tomorrow!

indigal,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
I would say that as per the capsules thread a recipe of 1g of kief/hash would be = 2g of processed (good) bud to 2tsp of coconut oil. This equates to appx 12 doses. That kind of sounds right. Id be interested to find a happy medium/science to the strength of using different medium.

AGBeer,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Unfortunately, no, I don't have a scale. Might be worth investing in one at this point.

Glad to be a source of inspiration indigal! Looking forward to seeing your results.

momofthegoons,

indigal

Amongst the corn
I decided to do this the easy way and used a mix for the cookies:

25in091.jpg

Measured out what kief I had in the box, only .5gr..

104j814.jpg

205v6ew.jpg

Made the batter per the directions and divided the dough in half..

wjua10.jpg

9rta12.jpg

Mixed in the kief very, very well- next time I do this, I will use 1.5 g for the whole recipe and will add it to the melted butter.

34fzp1e.jpg

Baked results: very good! I actually like the Dassant mix better using the cookie version vs the brownie. Chewy chocolate cookies, with a crispy edge. Plus the leftover batter can be frozen for later fresh baked cookie doses as needed!

1z4ba5z.jpg

They had a very slight hint of weed - which you only really noticed on the first bite. I had two- husband tried three. It was a nice mellow high for me, he rated his as just about perfect- one more may be too much. The kief was from some very well stored but old green that is very sleep-inducing. Needless to say, it was already late when I made them- slept like a rock and woke up still feeling slightly groggy.

The math for this batch: .5 g = 8 cookies

indigal,

GreenLeaf

ingal-Do you think your recipe for cookies/brownies would work with .5g of bud?

I found this recipe but I personally would not use the amount of plant material that they suggest since I prefer foods that are not strong.

I'd also add in some dried apricots or rasins and the dates too. I suppose the Anise is optional in another recipe for Majoun I found it said not to use Star Anise. I like the taste of Anise so if I found any regular Anise I'd use it. I'd also put in some Cardamom and Cinnamon too.

I have not tried this so I do not know how effective it is.

Majoun

Total time

4+ hours

1/4 oz. tops cannabis sativa, crumbled, stems and seeds removed
1 cup chopped dates
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup ground walnuts
1 tsp. Ground nutmeg

1 tsp. anise seed
1 tsp. dried ginger
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup water (more if needed)
2 tbsp. melted butter or ghee

In a dry skillet, toast the marijuana over very low heat until it begins to release an aroma. Combine it with the dried fruit, walnuts, spices, honey and water, and cook until the ingredients are soft. Remove to a heavy bowl and mash this pulp until the ingredients are well blended; or put into a food processor and blend, using several short pulses.

Add the butter and stir until well blended. Spoon into a jar and store in the refrigerator. Serve on crackers, eat by the fingerful, or use as a filling for mamoul.

GreenLeaf,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Oh indigal, just looking at those pics made me go get a brownie! :lol: Couple of questions. Thinking back, would you say you had about 2T. of kief? That's sort of what it looks like in the picture. Or was there more? And, did you use all of the batter or just some? Did you put all the kief in the batter as a whole, or just in the amount you used for cookies?

I made the cookies too and had a similar result using ABV. They are good, aren't they? I swear, I just love that mix.

And, if you really don't like the taste of the herb, a little "frosting" of Nutella will do the trick.

Thanks for posting indigal. You always do a great job. :tup:

momofthegoons,

indigal

Amongst the corn
GreenLeaf said:

I found this recipe but I personally would not use the amount of plant material that they suggest since I prefer foods that are not strong.

I'd also add in some dried apricots or rasins and the dates too. I suppose the Anise is optional in another recipe for Majoun I found it said not to use Star Anise. I like the taste of Anise so if I found any regular Anise I'd use it. I'd also put in some Cardamom and Cinnamon too.

Majoun

Total time

4+ hours

1 cup chopped dates
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup ground walnuts
1 tsp. Ground nutmeg

1 tsp. anise seed
1 tsp. dried ginger
1/2 cup honey

In a dry skillet, toast the marijuana over very low heat until it begins to release an aroma. Combine it with the dried fruit, walnuts, spices, honey and water, and cook until the ingredients are soft. Remove to a heavy bowl and mash this pulp until the ingredients are well blended; or put into a food processor and blend, using several short pulses.

Add the butter and stir until well blended. Spoon into a jar and store in the refrigerator. Serve on crackers, eat by the fingerful, or use as a filling for mamoul.
I've done this one, got it from 'Cooking with Cannibis' from the '70's. I can tell you, it's not that tasty- the bud mixed with spices just never worked great. There are much better techniques and recipes. If you wanted to try it- at the very least grind the bud and simmer IN the butter, then strain and use, but you will need more than .5gr..

.5 gr bud for the cookies would not be enough to give you a buzz unless you somehow could eat them all! I just weighed out .5 of bud to see how much it is- I'd say that's a decent dose for one, maybe two people if it's strong stuff.

I don't make my treats killer-strong. I could prob eat 4 (edit: of my cookies above) and have a ripping good time, but we prefer a more controllable buzz, you can always have more.

indigal,

indigal

Amongst the corn
momofthegoons said:
Oh indigal, just looking at those pics made me go get a brownie! :lol: Couple of questions. Thinking back, would you say you had about 2T. of kief? That's sort of what it looks like in the picture. Or was there more? And, did you use all of the batter or just some? Did you put all the kief in the batter as a whole, or just in the amount you used for cookies?

I made the cookies too and had a similar result using ABV. They are good, aren't they? I swear, I just love that mix.

And, if you really don't like the taste of the herb, a little "frosting" of Nutella will do the trick.

Thanks for posting indigal. You always do a great job. :tup:
Measuring spoon wise- it was maybe 2tsp to one T? It's a small scale and the stuff is so fluffy, it's hard to guess. I divided the batter in half and only made 8 dosed cookies with the .5g.

I like the taste of the herb, not if it's overwhelming- I haven't made anything overwhelmingly herby since I stopped making the majoon recipe above! :) No joke, it was my first treats years & years ago. They were effective & easy though, and always got eaten.

indigal,

indigal

Amongst the corn
I've always thought it looked like fine sawdust. Sticky sawdust... mmmm.

indigal,

GreenLeaf

indigal said:
GreenLeaf said:

Majoun

Total time

4+ hours

1 cup chopped dates
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup ground walnuts
1 tsp. Ground nutmeg

1 tsp. anise seed
1 tsp. dried ginger
1/2 cup honey

I've done this one, got it from 'Cooking with Cannibis' from the '70's. I can tell you, it's not that tasty- the bud mixed with spices just never worked great. There are much better techniques and recipes. If you wanted to try it- at the very least grind the bud and simmer IN the butter, then strain and use, but you will need more than .5gr..

.5 gr bud for the cookies would not be enough to give you a buzz unless you somehow could eat them all! I just weighed out .5 of bud to see how much it is- I'd say that's a decent dose for one, maybe two people if it's strong stuff.

I don't make my treats killer-strong. I could prob eat 4 (edit: of my cookies above) and have a ripping good time, but we prefer a more controllable buzz, you can always have more.
What amount of herb do you put into your treats?

I only ate herb once and I ate 3g or so and that was way too much.

GreenLeaf,

indigal

Amongst the corn
Read back on the previous posts, I only weighted this last one, but I give basic amounts.. I usually make the butter then gauge strength by eating it plain (play guinea pig)- then figure out how to use it in things I cook after I know the "dose".

Rule of thumb is to start with 2x what you would smoke per dose. I don't know if this rule can apply to vaping as I get happy from one stem on my PD.

The only real way is play guinea pig with a scale, a free evening, and something simple like herb butter on toast or firecrackers or something like that. It's all dependent on so many factors. Figuring the dose can be hit & miss until you get it down. I'd start with eating 1/3 gram and go from there.

indigal,

GreenLeaf

indigal said:
Read back on the previous posts, I only weighted this last one, but I give basic amounts.. I usually make the butter then gauge strength by eating it plain (play guinea pig)- then figure out how to use it in things I cook after I know the "dose".

Rule of thumb is to start with 2x what you would smoke per dose. I don't know if this rule can apply to vaping as I get happy from one stem on my PD.

The only real way is play guinea pig with a scale, a free evening, and something simple like herb butter on toast or firecrackers or something like that. It's all dependent on so many factors. Figuring the dose can be hit & miss until you get it down. I'd start with eating 1/3 gram and go from there.
OK thanks. :)

I'll try your advice. Does this work with duff/ABV too or just ground herb/kif?

GreenLeaf,

indigal

Amongst the corn
GreenLeaf said:
indigal said:

OK thanks. :)

I'll try your advice. Does this work with duff/ABV too or just ground herb/kif?
Try the handy search feature, you will find good info in plenty of topics here. Here's just one:

http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=9

indigal,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
One thing to try are the Creme De Menthe chips to throw in your mix. I hear this helps mask the taste quite well.

AGBeer,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
I've been thinking of cooking up another batch of edibles, since the last batch I made (some orange gingerbread brownies about a week ago using old cannabutter) turned out pretty poorly, perhaps due to inexperience when I first made cannabutter....dunno.

So this time I want to use ABV/AVB, partly because I'm accumulating it regularly, but mostly because I think it concentrates CBD/CBN and it is this effect I'm looking for (the THC is a welcome bonus obviously).

I think I have the dosage figured out (I'm after about 0.9g per dose); that should give me much more of a body load and totally knock out joint pain, but I don't know what to cook.

Getting bored of brownies and cookies, but want to avoid something that I would eat all of (e.g. canna-Garlic-butter on French Bread). Are there any lightly sweet foods that could make good use of Cannabis? Hard candy recipes like Jolly Ranchers?

thanks for any info/ideas.

Tom

tdavie,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Maybe this will do the trick for you Tom. I saw this recipe for Canna Lollipops on another forum and thought it looked really good. Haven't tried it yet, but this one might be next for me. If so, I will post pics.

You'll need to make sure you have a candy thermometer (one that clips onto side of pan is best), a metal tablespoon measure and metal sandwich spatula.

1/4 cup cannabutter
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 box (3 ounce) jello, any flavor
Twenty lolliepops sticks

Butter two cookie sheets. Arrange half of the lolliepop sticks on each and set aside.

In a small saucepan over low heat, stir butter, sugar, and corn syrup together until sugar has dissolved. Slowly bring to a boil, stirring frequently.

Insert a candy thermometer into syrup and continue cooking until temperature reaches 275 degrees. Stir in jello until smooth.

Remove from heat. (This sugar syrup is very hot and can cause a painful burn!)

Using a metal tablespoon and working quickly, drop heaping spoonfuls of lolliepop syrup on end of each stick. Flatten into a circle shape with metal spatula sprayed with cooking spray.

Cool completely. Wrap each sucker in plastic wrap and store in an air tight container.

Makes 15-20 lolliepops

momofthegoons,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
@mom thanks for the recipe. This looks like something that would be perfect. Printed and filed away!

Tom

tdavie,

hereatlast

Made cannabutter last night and Dulce de Leche with the cheese cloth scraps. Put about 35grams ABV and stems into about 2 sticks of butter. Crockpot/water/butter method is so amazingly easy, happy to have tried it, I have at least another 60 grams ABV to play with. The butter came out a nice dark green and I couldn't believe how dark the throwaway water was.

Dulce de Leche went shaky at first but it turned out great in the end. I think we ended up with a pretty strong batch of butter and Dulce, the latter tastes very 'weedy' but its a delicious combo.

Gonna calibrate dosage this weekend. Anybody have a recommendation on the best way to calibrate? I imagine start small and work my way up. Also whats a good application for a small individual dosage like this? Maybe some toast? I would just eat a 1/4 tsp but I'm not too keen on just butter, that Dulce on the other hand :D

hereatlast,

Tuck

I try to calibrate my dosage per gram. So if I use 35grams of ABV I'd try to make 35 cookies/brownies/pieces of fudge, etc. I always bake with my butter. I haven't tried just eating it plain, mostly cause a friend of mine ate some on a piece of toast and said it was pretty vile.

Tuck,

stinkmeaner

I have always wanted to frost something with a mixture of Kief & Sugar, I haven't really thought about what yet though, I think in a perfect world everyone would have a little jar of kief next to the sugar jar.

stinkmeaner,
Top Bottom