Discontinued The RBT Milaana (unregulated single 18650)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
@UnshavenFish
I left my milaana on a warm stovetop and the bottom came off exposung the guts of the unit. :bang:

:rofl:it looks like super glue or similar.

Too bad about your milaana!

If you want to repair it, the best method would be to place a piece of 120x sandpaper on a perfectly flat surface, tape it down. Sand both glue surfaces flat by placing the wood on the sandpaper and drawing it in one direction only. This will help keep the surface flat, instead of introducing a minutely convex curve to the surface.

Once all the glue is sanded from the two surfaces. Glue back together with yellow carpenters glue or white glue, either one is fine. You can use some masking tape to keep the glue-squeeze out from staining the outer wood surfaces.

Last edited by a moderator:

dac13

So I have had the Milaana almost 2 weeks now and I wanted to post my impressions so far. Since my daily driver for the past few months has been the Firewood 3.0. I thought it might be helpful to compare the two for other people considering the Milaana who own a firewood. I just used the firewood yesterday for the first time since getting my Milaana.

Vapor Quality: I prefer the vapor from the Milaana. It just seems a little smoother and more free, however I honestly would never complain about either of these two vapes. They both have top quality vapor quality and many people will find them as equal. I use the short stem only with the Milaana. They both have semi warm vapor with short airpaths, but neither bothers me at all. Through water I find them very similar quality vapor. The Milaana could use stirring more than the firewood, but I don’t stir either because they are both good enough for me.

Ease of use: For me, this has to go to the Milaana. They both have some technique, and when I hand them to a first time user, they get better hits from Milaana. The Milaana is a much more open draw, and with proper preheating it requires less technique. The milaana vapor does remind me of an underdog/log vape that has manual heat. Speaking of the manual heat, I think this is a big reason why people find it easier to use than the firewood. Some friends using my firewood have trouble activating the breath sensor the correct way and using their breath to control the heater. I usually get the firewood started and hot for people before handing it off, with the Milaana this isnt necessary, “just hold the button”. For most people with multiple vapes, i think the ease of use is close to the same though.

My personal Milaana technique: hold button preheat for 5-7 seconds. Take a long draw for 7-10 seconds while holding the button. Release and continue to inhale for 5 seconds. Total time around 20-25 seconds. I have moved my screen very close to the end which i find gives the battery a longer life, and it gives denser vapor more easily.

Combustion: I have had multiple people use both vapes and no one has combusted in either. I think the Milaana is MUCH harder to combust in than some people made it seem.

Longevity: I can’t really answer this accurately because neither vape has broken on me, however the Milaana is simpler so I would imagine that less parts would mean less potential for breaking. I would guess the breath sensor on the firewood would be one of those parts that could get fidgety after a year of use. I would think the Milaana would be cheaper to repair, but who knows.

Battery life: I think the firewood has a longer battery life, but carrying 2 or 3 batteries with the Milaana makes swapping out easy. I actually haven’t had a problem with either battery life, but usually partake with 1-3 people only.

Portability/stealth: This is where I think the Firewood wins for me. With the Milaana, Carrying the battery and stem separately means that anytime I want to vape, I need to take a couple seconds to put the battery in and load the stem. Loading any vape in public is annoying, so being able to have 2 prepacked firewood capsules is a big deal for me personally. I like that I can finish one capsule and then have another one in place in literally 3 seconds. I also like that the capsules allow me to take 1 hit and then put it away. Sometimes with the Milaana I don’t want to finish a stem, but it isn’t finished after 1 or 2 draws, meaning I need to empty into an ABV bag, throw it away unused, or try to save it to use it again later. For this reason, when I go out to the bars, a concert, or just around town I bring the firewood. Also the firewood looks less like a herb vape because the Milaana has a glass stem sticking out which is more obvious.

TLDR:: I prefer the Milaana to in private situations, at my house or at a friends house. When stealth is a factor in most public situations, I bring my firewood. They are both awesome.

Milaana 2.0 just needs a way to leave the battery in ( I like @Vape Dr. ‘s Idea a couple pages back) and a way to leave a prepack inside it, or capsules, so that it doesn’t need to be packed on the go and can be always ready. With these two things it would be the only vape i need in all situation. Either way the Milaana is still an amazing vape.

grokit

well-worn member
*What about wrapping the joint in hi-temp ptfe plumber's tape and going for a friction fit?
That would be mechanical at least.

Wood on wood can be easily and durably glued. Not by instant glue though...
And not by the thin stuff that seems into the wood pores, which is even worse with end grains as @Dan Morrison pointed out. I believe that @Zangano Cruel's milaana* is an early prototype that used the thinner glue, and moreover I believe that rbt probably has this adhesive issue well in hand at this point.

:myday:
Okay so you guys that have read some of my recent posts may not be surprised that I have been at my wit's end with battery-operated vapes lately. My $340 crafty turned into a ~$20/month 17-hour rental that's probably going into the landfill now because of a defective part:mad: And the eighth month of my wait for this device had me fearing the worst, which you know from following this thread. Sorry about that.

I like my home vapes, besides the sublimator I've never had an issue with any of them. Same goes for all of the flame-powered vapes I've tried, and I was seriously considering going back to them exclusively for my portable needs. I like my hopper but it's got its limitations, and who knows how I'll get along with the cfx I have coming, but I had decided that would be the last of them if these rbt vapes didn't work out.

...and then I found a box sitting in my rural mailbox when I was out today. It may have been here since yesterday. This unassuming plain brown box had everything in it needed to change my outlook :tup:

It was all there; a milaana, a couple of stems an extra screen a battery a case a bag and the ss wool. The fit & finish is a tad on the rustic side but that doesn't bother me--it's a tool, and it seems well put together. I agree it's bit bigger than expected, but it feels substantial and fits well in my trump-size hands ;)

So I grabbed a fresh lg battery off the charger it's been sitting on for months, and put a hit in the long stem and gave her a whirl. The first toke was rewarding, as I had a feeling it would be. There will be more experimentation, including going through my glass adapters to see if any are of the proper usa size.

Just checking, the battery goes in + toward the top? That's how I'm using it, haven't tried it the other way yet. I think I remember some changes in that department but don't remember. I cut about 4" of the ss ribbon and stuffed it in the intake, it seems like I could have put a lot more in there but I fluffed it up.

Thank you to all of you who showed support and encouraged me during my "doubtful period", especially those of you who reached out to me via pm; you know who you are and I really appreciated it. I hope my gentle ribbing was taken in good nature, I tried to be as pleasant about it as I could considering :ninja::peace:

I'm also happy to report that sheila was quite helpful by answering my email inquiry in a timely manner, and when she said it was going out in a few days it turned out to actually be true so bravo sheila :clap:

:smug: TLDR all is good;
back to my milaana now :spliff:

Last edited:

mrbonsai420

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
What is your water device?

Vapexhale Hydrabomb, There is a good knock off of this coming from China soon I hear :)

Nice pics man! :)
What about the concern putting too much weight onto the joint..? I thought there were quite a number of advices no to do that and it would void your lifetime warranty too? I think we discussed that over in the Zion thread a while back?
Anyway, I'd like to use it attached to a water tool too, so I'm all open to news :)

:peace:

I only did that for a second to snap a selfie ;) I usually and always would support a Hydratube with your second hand while hitting like in picture 2. If my glass breaks it will most likely be from that battery door swinging open on it, not a water tool.
Now a PWTA you might could get away with just resting up there. I also use it inverted on other pieces and I even ran it through a whip while my girlfriend hit it so I could control the Mi while she hit the glass. The possibilities are endless once you get a good US M2M adapter. Plus I found some of my adapters are already 18mm US like my whip adapter from my FC-UFO is already a Milaana "Whip Bowl" too. There are really a lot more 19/22 attachments around than you think if you measure them.:science:

66F7509F-9B97-4926-95C7-C15B7E9E2318.jpg

37009FAE-AA2C-415B-8C65-1801A56BD58A_1.jpg

Last edited:

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
@mrbonsai420 - GENIUS!!!! Never thought of using a tube to go to the bubbler so I can control the button. Think this may make my girlfriend a big fan of the Milaana. She can't quite get the hang of button control and has been asking, "Can't we just use the other one?" - nano. No appreciation for the fact I want to play with my new toy as much as I can.

Thanks for bringing more harmony to my Saturday night! :tup:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
I really only smoked doobs, never used or any other gadgets. I was / am a master roller, still roll an occasional joint for my wife, as I haven't combusted in almost 2 years.

@Bravesst interesting to hear you compare on demand to a joint, I always think of it more like a pipe or bubbler set up, where as a session vape like the Air makes me think of a doob, constantly cooking/burning down. But i know people relight em, was never my style though always burnt em down unless it was a pipe. And along with a back up (didn't you get two Airs and two Nanos too? lol) maybe see if you can get a wooden stem when Ed is free again...

Modnote: Fixed quote tags

Last edited by a moderator:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Given the turn around time on the few warrantied Zions, I think I'd try to avoid sending anything in unless it was absolutely necessary. I'd also be wary of gluing anything myself, though. Not sure what I would do. Anyone come up with a non-glue fix for if the female glass comes undone?

I would not use the Zions as an example at all, since that was more for part redesign etc. Similarly now that manufacturing is up and running RBT will have more time in the lab as well. I would always want my device repaired properly personally, it sucks but still worth whatever wait imo (I've been through many before, here it should be infrequent with latest Mi production runs) :2c:

Time and cost will be higher by far if peaples decide not to glue back by themselves (as suggested by rbt) and do as @Shit Snacks and send it back for warranty (best solution IMO). Glue in assembly is the fastest solution not a good one (excepted few applications: wood on wood, or plastic on plastic...)

What surprise me is that there is a very easy, nice looking solution that cames to my mind looking at the vape that will not only secure the joint but will allow for easy replacement of it (in case it shatters) and add 0 hazard to it. A metallic crown secured by screws or even better using the same screwing thing used to secure copper battery door...am I over simplifing things?

I think glue is chosen bc it is simpler, maybe a v2 will move beyond it, it is certainly easier than screws (which I don't want personally, I like the sleekness) and probably a custom cage holder like you describe, but I do like that idea. Maybe some day... But really I think it's fine as is for now (also temp wise, the area it is in doesn't get hot enough to outgas or soften, they are all tested for this and more before shipping), we'll see how the latest Milaanas off the line are doing as far as improving in little things like I mentioned before.

So I have had the Milaana almost 2 weeks now and I wanted to post my impressions so far. Since my daily driver for the past few months has been the Firewood 3.0. I thought it might be helpful to compare the two for other people considering the Milaana who own a firewood. I just used the firewood yesterday for the first time since getting my Milaana.

Vapor Quality: I prefer the vapor from the Milaana. It just seems a little smoother and more free, however I honestly would never complain about either of these two vapes. They both have top quality vapor quality and many people will find them as equal. I use the short stem only with the Milaana. They both have semi warm vapor with short airpaths, but neither bothers me at all. Through water I find them very similar quality vapor. The Milaana could use stirring more than the firewood, but I don’t stir either because they are both good enough for me.

Ease of use: For me, this has to go to the Milaana. They both have some technique, and when I hand them to a first time user, they get better hits from Milaana. The Milaana is a much more open draw, and with proper preheating it requires less technique. The milaana vapor does remind me of an underdog/log vape that has manual heat. Speaking of the manual heat, I think this is a big reason why people find it easier to use than the firewood. Some friends using my firewood have trouble activating the breath sensor the correct way and using their breath to control the heater. I usually get the firewood started and hot for people before handing it off, with the Milaana this isnt necessary, “just hold the button”. For most people with multiple vapes, i think the ease of use is close to the same though.

My personal Milaana technique: hold button preheat for 5-7 seconds. Take a long draw for 7-10 seconds while holding the button. Release and continue to inhale for 5 seconds. Total time around 20-25 seconds. I have moved my screen very close to the end which i find gives the battery a longer life, and it gives denser vapor more easily.

Combustion: I have had multiple people use both vapes and no one has combusted in either. I think the Milaana is MUCH harder to combust in than some people made it seem.

Longevity: I can’t really answer this accurately because neither vape has broken on me, however the Milaana is simpler so I would imagine that less parts would mean less potential for breaking. I would guess the breath sensor on the firewood would be one of those parts that could get fidgety after a year of use. I would think the Milaana would be cheaper to repair, but who knows.

Battery life: I think the firewood has a longer battery life, but carrying 2 or 3 batteries with the Milaana makes swapping out easy. I actually haven’t had a problem with either battery life, but usually partake with 1-3 people only.

Portability/stealth: This is where I think the Firewood wins for me. With the Milaana, Carrying the battery and stem separately means that anytime I want to vape, I need to take a couple seconds to put the battery in and load the stem. Loading any vape in public is annoying, so being able to have 2 prepacked firewood capsules is a big deal for me personally. I like that I can finish one capsule and then have another one in place in literally 3 seconds. I also like that the capsules allow me to take 1 hit and then put it away. Sometimes with the Milaana I don’t want to finish a stem, but it isn’t finished after 1 or 2 draws, meaning I need to empty into an ABV bag, throw it away unused, or try to save it to use it again later. For this reason, when I go out to the bars, a concert, or just around town I bring the firewood. Also the firewood looks less like a herb vape because the Milaana has a glass stem sticking out which is more obvious.

TLDR:: I prefer the Milaana to in private situations, at my house or at a friends house. When stealth is a factor in most public situations, I bring my firewood. They are both awesome.

Milaana 2.0 just needs a way to leave the battery in ( I like @Vape Dr. ‘s Idea a couple pages back) and a way to leave a prepack inside it, or capsules, so that it doesn’t need to be packed on the go and can be always ready. With these two things it would be the only vape i need in all situation. Either way the Milaana is still an amazing vape.

Nice review! With that amount of preheat it does seem like your Milaana could be a bit cooler, unless your going for upper temp extraction anyhow I suppose... Battery direction doesnt matter, i prefer smooth negative end up myself actually. Again with current stock I think they have locked in a system to have then all to be the same with better fit and finish. Also for a capsule, try a silicone cap for the stem, can get a few shorty and keep em prepacked (cloud evo comes with these red caps for its 18mm male top and bottom that work very well). I've actually been using mine out and about quite a bit lately though, no trouble packing/dumping, storing or using, ofcourse may depend where you live to feel comfortable with that. Pros and cons of a glass stem vape i suppose, not all self-contained

Hooray @grokit! I hoped it would all work out for you, I know it's been a long search, glad you can now enjoy some simple effective on demand convection too:tup:

Last edited:

little maggie

Just a quick question- I lost the material that goes in the air hole. I didn't know what it was for so wasn't careful with it. Will putting cotton in the hole work?

little maggie,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Just a quick question- I lost the material that goes in the air hole. I didn't know what it was for so wasn't careful with it. Will putting cotton in the hole work?

No idea, but cotton could burn up if any does flow into the heater... Apparently some have gotten by without any filter at all, and zandango did do his own cotton mesh mod...

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: flotntoke

Vapenvy

Indie vaper

Thanks for this review.

This is exactly how i was hoping/intending to use milaana and fw3. Once Milaana arrives, the fw3 for out and about duties as it is all self contained, plus more easily replaceable (and cheaper) if the shit hits the fan.

PPN

Volute of Vapor
*What about wrapping the joint in hi-temp ptfe plumber's tape and going for a friction fit?
That would be mechanical at least.

And not by the thin stuff that seems into the wood pores, which is even worse with end grains as @Dan Morrison pointed out. I believe that @Zangano Cruel's milaana* is an early prototype that used the thinner glue, and moreover I believe that rbt probably has this adhesive issue well in hand at this point.

:myday:
Okay so you guys that have read some of my recent posts may not be surprised that I have been at my wit's end with battery-operated vapes lately. My $340 crafty turned into a ~$20/month 17-hour rental that's probably going into the landfill now because of a defective part:mad: And the eighth month of my wait for this device had me fearing the worst, which you know from following this thread. Sorry about that.

I like my home vapes, besides the sublimator I've never had an issue with any of them. Same goes for all of the flame-powered vapes I've tried, and I was seriously considering going back to them exclusively for my portable needs. I like my hopper but it's got its limitations, and who knows how I'll get along with the cfx I have coming, but I had decided that would be the last of them if these rbt vapes didn't work out.

...and then I found a box sitting in my rural mailbox when I was out today. It may have been here since yesterday. This unassuming plain brown box had everything in it needed to change my outlook :tup:

It was all there; a milaana, a couple of stems an extra screen a battery a case a bag and the ss wool. The fit & finish is a tad on the rustic side but that doesn't bother me--it's a tool, and it seems well put together. I agree it's bit bigger than expected, but it feels substantial and fits well in my trump-size hands ;)

So I grabbed a fresh lg battery off the charger it's been sitting on for months, and put a hit in the long stem and gave her a whirl. The first toke was rewarding, as I had a feeling it would be. There will be more experimentation, including going through my glass adapters to see if any are of the proper usa size.

Just checking, the battery goes in + toward the top? That's how I'm using it, haven't tried it the other way yet. I think I remember some changes in that department but don't remember. I cut about 4" of the ss ribbon and stuffed it in the intake, it seems like I could have put a lot more in there but I fluffed it up.

Thank you to all of you who showed support and encouraged me during my "doubtful period", especially those of you who reached out to me via pm; you know who you are and I really appreciated it. I hope my gentle ribbing was taken in good nature, I tried to be as pleasant about it as I could considering :ninja::peace:

I'm also happy to report that sheila was quite helpful by answering my email inquiry in a timely manner, and when she said it was going out in a few days it turned out to actually be true so bravo sheila :clap:

:smug: TLDR all is good;
back to my milaana now :spliff:
Are you an international?

PPN,

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Ordering Milaana 2. RBT you sold me 100%... As I get the hang of this masterful extractor of pleasure and taste, I'm in awe. I need another - NOW. Already got 10 batts, 5 stems, and loving every second with my new best Vape ever. I truly need the perfect name, and want to finish my girl with something nice. What does RBT suggest?

vapen00b

Many vapes & accessories. Always happy to help
@Bravesst Hehe, that's how I know you! Backup unit(s) and spare batts for your beloved ones. Fantastic to hear you're enjoying this one so much - I too loved the Air - and you seem to have a new best (female) buddy. I'm sure I'll feel the same when it arrives.

As for your question: RBT suggested Milaana :p :D

vapen00b,
Reactions: KeroZen

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
Ordering Milaana 2. RBT you sold me 100%... As I get the hang of this masterful extractor of pleasure and taste, I'm in awe. I need another - NOW. Already got 10 batts, 5 stems, and loving every second with my new best Vape ever. I truly need the perfect name, and want to finish my girl with something nice. What does RBT suggest?

Having the Mi is almost like a backup Zion but i want to own two of each eventually. I would love to have a Zion that stays upstairs in the masterbedroom full time.

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
I too think I will end up buying another...probably before the RBT sale ends this week. I dont need two, but if something happens to my Milaana I want to be prepared with a real back up. Unfortunately I don't see any option out there as a compareable unit to use as a back up. I have a Zion coming too which would work, but I still want another Milaana. If TOD was still for sale in the RBT store I would be buying with no question today and not questioning if I need a 2nd Milaana. Can all of the Beta shills (just a joke) ask RBT to get TOD back in the shop...there wil be interest no doubt!

dac13

Nice review! With that amount of preheat it does seem like your Milaana could be a bit cooler, unless your going for upper temp extraction anyhow I suppose... Battery direction doesnt matter, i prefer smooth negative end up myself actually. Again with current stock I think they have locked in a system to have then all to be the same with better fit and finish. Also for a capsule, try a silicone cap for the stem, can get a few shorty and keep em prepacked (cloud evo comes with these red caps for its 18mm male top and bottom that work very well). I've actually been using mine out and about quite a bit lately though, no trouble packing/dumping, storing or using, ofcourse may depend where you live to feel comfortable with that. Pros and cons of a glass stem vape i suppose, not all self-contained

thanks for the reply, I will look into getting an extra stem and 2 silicone caps. This would actually help me use it in public for sure. but yeah where I live at packing in public is not a great idea. and yes I should have mentioned with that technique I posted it is a higher temp extraction :)

tblast

Took the Milaana out to a bar last night and had my combustion/g pen friends try it out. 3 out of 4 were able to get great draws on their first tries, while the fourth just doesn't understand the concept of taking a longer draw to the lungs (as opposed to a shorter mouth draw like when hitting a joint). The rest of us tried to explain it to him, but he's a stubborn guy and couldn't do it. Cest la vie. Everyone else ended up loving it.

Also I'm happy to report that a battery and the short stem fit very nicely in the change pocket of Levi's 501 jeans. Milaana itself is more of a jacket pocket device, but will work in a front jeans pocket if you don't mind looking a bit conspicuous.

I've said it twice already now, but this thing gets me on another level. Usually when I get a new vape, my herb consumption spikes, but with Mi it's actually gone down! 2 stems yesterday and I was very happy.

friedrich

Little-Known Member
I'm using now, under the SS mesh on the air intake, both sides of one cheap Q-tip cotton, to create more of a restricted path. It was too airy for me. And I believe, I could be biased, I am puffing thicker clouds.

Awesome, thanks for this tip!
My mesh fell out of the intake at some point and I forgot all about it :doh:

I was going to use hemp fiber instead of your cotton, but first wedged a few layers of the mesh in there and that's enough for a nice moderate draw restriction. Seems to help a bit? Still evaluating :D

Exactly! I won't be taking M out unless staying somewhere and vaping openly. It's just a matter of design tradeoffs... With its stem system, I never expected it to take over as my pocket vape.

I was a bit skeptical that it would even be able to take over completely as my home vape, but that it did immediately! :luv:

Last edited:

Oogendoogan

Just pulled the trigger on a milaana from the RBT site before they stopped selling them :) was going for a boundless CFX but for just a little more I feel like I made the right choice? Lol I love convection vapor and use a SSV as my daily driver, for about a year before that I used an e nano every day, from reading this thread I think this may be the perfect solution for me to get that clean convection vapor i get from my home units on the go. I'm very exited and feel like this is going to be game changing vape for me. I do have a couple questions maybe some of you could help me with. First I know a lot of people waited quite a while for they're vape, are people still waiting? What kind of wait am I in for? Also I only got a pay pal confirmation, is this normal? Or should I have gotten something from them. I figured I might just get a shipping notice when it goes out? Anyways thanks everyone and stay vaped!

ctxgooner

gooner
This little bastard is kicking my ass over here :rockon: :tup: :clap: :bowdown:

Edit- Oh shit I just combusted!!!
Fresh battery, already vaped,was messing with my phone and didn't realize I was holding the button until I started to draw......I knew it immediately..... Pulled the stem and it was glowing........ :puke:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom