The Pinky: an open-source DIY injector style thermal extraction device

wubba-lubba-dub-dub

Cannabis hardware “The B-Zero is the latest iteration of the "B" series of heads. This time, it is a single piece "ball" device inspired by the different DIY devices appearing in the community, namely the DIY device put together by "secreagent" which involved our CH 18mm posts and a 16mm coil.”

Interesting to see CH making something

Last edited:

VincentTheHealer

Damn, that's really cool they chose to embrace the DIY approach. They're probably a bit scared of loosing potential customers to the Pinky and tbh if I knew this thing before, I would have needed more time to decide which one to build, lol

VincentTheHealer,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I might be misreading these since I'm not a scholar, but the material appears to be as hard as titanium so it won't flake, scratch or produce dust and we are using it at very low temperature compared to what is it supposed to be safely exposed.

The only thing harder than alumina is diamond. That means it will scratch anything under 9 Mohs. Main consideration would be scratching the glass bowl each time they are mated together. That’s the main reason why I decided not to do an alumina ceramic housing as we found during evaluation that even my old 1.7 quartz housings were scratching the glass bowls, and the mohs difference between boro and quartz is pretty small.

Vaporware

I think it’s more likely that someone would get the wrong cups (maybe defective or counterfeits made of a different material?) than that they would be lying.

I also think that either bad cups or just temps that were too high could have made the AVB smell worse.

cvs8floz

Thinking about that other guy and all his troubles and I'm very skeptic of his experience. Either he bought defective cups, hit them with a hammer to fit in the coil or is straight up lying (which wouldn't be surprising since other details are sus too like the abv experience and the complain about having to hold it; which is something he had to know before hand since every video about it show ppl holding it.
I can reassure you that I truthfully described my experience, I saw some of the videos but the fact that you have to hold it on the bowl escaped me until I had the thing in my hand. The cups look fine to me, I still have 9 of them. The flaking was a result of screwing on the coil I believe, it also left black marks all over, I didn't run into major problems but it was tight to get on and I had to use pliers. The bad AVB smell was totally real and that's what really turned me off, maybe that was a one-time thing but I am not going to retry so we'll never know.

VincentTheHealer

I aware of this measurement, but I thought it was only an approximate scale and the Rockwell Hardness was the "real" thing to refer. Either way, still means making dust is pretty unlikely, unless it's metal dust from the coil; metal being way softer. About the bowls, I haven't scratch any of mine yet, but will keep an eye on it. I'm pretty curious what it would look like.
more likely that someone would get the wrong cups
Yeah or a mix of a everything. Wrong cups, high temps, pre-existing worries about ceramics that would exacerbate an already bad experience, etc.
I can reassure you that I truthfully described my experience
Sorry for hinting you lied. I guess I'm just surprised our experiences are so diametrically different with the same device, you know.

VincentTheHealer,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I aware of this measurement, but I thought it was only an approximate scale and the Rockwell Hardness was the "real" thing to refer. Either way, still means making dust is pretty unlikely, unless it's metal dust from the coil; metal being way softer. About the bowls, I haven't scratch any of mine yet, but will keep an eye on it. I'm pretty curious what it would look like.

RH is indentation hardness, I really only hear that term when referring to steel, mostly with blades.

But I’m not sure what would be “unlikely” about 9 mohs technical ceramics scratching glass if fused quartz, which is made from the same exact material as glass (silica) is already well accepted to scratch it.

invertedisdead,
Reactions: Cheebsy

VincentTheHealer

The source I shared earlier says that Alumina has RH of HRA80-90 so maybe it's used mainly for metal (like titanium is approximately 80 HRB), but it could still be of relative significance. It's not that I don't think alumina could scratch a bowl. I fully agree that sanding paper made with aluminum oxide would scratch glass very easily. It's that I don't think the shape and use of the cup makes it very propitious to do so since its surface is smooth and its use doesn't require friction between the cup and the bowl.

VincentTheHealer,

cvs8floz

Sorry for hinting you lied. I guess I'm just surprised our experiences are so diametrically different with the same device, you know.
No worries, I am hard to please, maybe it would go differently if I tried again. But I will never use a vape that I have to hold during the hit and can't leave on the bowl to add conduction.

Hippie

Just wanted to add another word or 2 of warning about the glass nozzles as I've just had my second failure and won't be making another glass one cos it shattered into approximately 2 zillion and 1 teeny tiny hot razor sharp shards and 3mm rubies all over my desk (quite fortunately :) ) on it's 2 heating. So I've been cleaning me balls and sweeping up shards this afternoon.

And I also had some good news today too. I ordered the PID microcontroller mentioned earlier to hopefully fix a broken one from my graveyard cupboard, which is working well with the Pinky straight out of the box without having to navigate the menu system (as I was a lil worried I'd have to program it)

jambandphan03

in flavor country
Just wanted to add another word or 2 of warning about the glass nozzles as I've just had my second failure and won't be making another glass one cos it shattered into approximately 2 zillion and 1 teeny tiny hot razor sharp shards and 3mm rubies all over my desk (quite fortunately :) ) on it's 2 heating. So I've been cleaning me balls and sweeping up shards this afternoon.

And I also had some good news today too. I ordered the PID microcontroller mentioned earlier to hopefully fix a broken one from my graveyard cupboard, which is working well with the Pinky straight out of the box without having to navigate the menu system (as I was a lil worried I'd have to program it)
yeah its a nice idea using all glass, but when it fails... boy it's no fun at all. Glad you didn't get burned or hot glass shards in your lap. After seeing mine crack in many places on the 2nd heat up, I left it inside the ashtray stand and turned off the heat. luckily it didn't fall apart, so I was able to recover the balls and then had to wrap it in some paper to smash it with a hammer to remove it from the coils. I didn't want to try handling it being cracked all over. Well it was all an experiment so we learned what we needed to learn. :lol:

**I like that other people are trying to build SS or TI versions of the pinkie... we have a glass melting set up and some thick wall tubing I might try out a heavier walled boro version of the tig one day, if inspiration pushes me to do that.

Last edited:

Skunkport

Plutonic

yeah its a nice idea using all glass, but when it fails... boy it's no fun at all. Glad you didn't get burned or hot glass shards in your lap. After seeing mine crack in many places on the 2nd heat up, I left it inside the ashtray stand and turned off the heat. luckily it didn't fall apart, so I was able to recover the balls and then had to wrap it in some paper to smash it with a hammer to remove it from the coils. I didn't want to try handling it being cracked all over. Well it was all an experiment so we learned what we needed to learn. :lol:

**I like that other people are trying to build SS or TI versions of the pinkie... we have a glass melting set up and some thick wall tubing I might try out a heavier walled boro version of the tig one day, if inspiration pushes me to do that.
I wonder if a glass tig is more prone to breakage when using cubic zirconia stones rather than round glass balls. Two possible reasons:

- Zirconia expands more than borosilicate glass when heated.

- As they expand, round balls might more easily readjust how they're seated against each other to redistribute growing pressure and the whole column of balls can expand upward a little bit, but the edges of zirconia stones might "catch" on each other in a way that makes it hard to relieve the pressure.

Obviously this doesn't apply if the glass tigs are breaking cuz the tig and coil are expanding against each other.

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I wonder if a glass tig is more prone to breakage when using cubic zirconia stones rather than round glass balls. Two possible reasons:

- Zirconia expands more than borosilicate glass when heated.

- As they expand, round balls might more easily readjust how they're seated against each other to redistribute growing pressure and the whole column of balls can expand upward a little bit, but the edges of zirconia stones might "catch" on each other in a way that makes it hard to relieve the pressure.

Obviously this doesn't apply if the glass tigs are breaking cuz the tig and coil are expanding against each other.

I only had glass balls in mine and it cracked on the 2nd heat up.

XCombuster

Hey everybody. First time poster, long time reader.
I recently purchased everything needed to make the Pinky. They all arrived a couple of days ago but I'm having some serious trouble getting the nozzle inside the coil. I can't seem to get it past this point (Shown in picture, Imgur wasn't working so I hope pasteboard works). My hands hurt pretty bad and I don't know what to do lol.
I'm fairly close to cutting my losses and putting it in the cupboard. Any advice?

XCombuster,

VincentTheHealer

Hey everybody. First time poster, long time reader.
I recently purchased everything needed to make the Pinky. They all arrived a couple of days ago but I'm having some serious trouble getting the nozzle inside the coil. I can't seem to get it past this point (Shown in picture, Imgur wasn't working so I hope pasteboard works). My hands hurt pretty bad and I don't know what to do lol.
I'm fairly close to cutting my losses and putting it in the cupboard. Any advice?
Inserting the cup is the hardest part of the assembly ime. With one hand on the coil and one hand on the handle, try to unroll the coil slowly to loose it. You can loose it untill the cup fit and try to tight it again after .Or you can insert the cup into the tight coil and press on it as you unroll the coil to loose it. There is a video on YouTube but one user here that goes in detail about it. Keep trying, it's worth it!

Last edited:

feralcomprehension

Qualified Observer
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm still not having any luck but I'll keep on trying. I have to admit, I am very frustrated lol.
I don't have those parts but I am a mechanical engineer who builds stuff all the time. Imo you need to install the tapered part of the body into the open (non-handle) end of the coil and turn it in. Here's the trick- you turn the body whichever direction *opens* the coil, so that turning the body *loosens* the grip of the coil. Once you stop turning the coil springs back and holds firm.

XCombuster

I think I got it to "open" a couple of times and made small progress. It's really hard to open because it's really hard to get a grip on it, especially because mine doesn't have a handle.
It honestly feels stuck, I decided to try and get it out so I can attempt to unroll the coil and then put it in... But I can't get it out lmao. Not sure what to do.

XCombuster,
Reactions: BigJr48
Top Bottom