The Pinky: an open-source DIY injector style thermal extraction device

Hippie

Yes - you only need the controller and the coil (and the power lead) from that kit for the Pinky or the Brain so there may be slightly cheaper options
The seller sells a lot of other kits and coils too, which is generally a good sign in my experience should anything go wrong or you want another coil in the future

jambandphan03

in flavor country
Hey Hey!! got the right pink tigs in the mail today, got the pinky cleaned and built up, did my burn off, and she is rippin at 550f. Using a generic china bowl that happen to fit, I had knocking around in my glass shash. So far so good, it was a bit of work getting it into the coil, but its pretty secure now. I need to figure out pic posting again or you can go over to 420vapezone on discord pinky-dyi-vapes-etc to see my recent photos if interested. Yay!:clap:

...Holy crap this thing hits like a mac truck! :rockon::science:

Last edited:

jambandphan03

in flavor country
Yes please post some pictures :)
I tried using my imgur account like I used to do years ago, and FC keeps rejecting the links to the photos so I don't know what I am doing wrong. Used to work just fine, but I have been away for a few years now so I am behind the times... sorry.

Last edited:

vaporoufixtras

sigma vape enjoyer
I tried using my imgur account like I used to do years ago, and FC keeps rejecting the links to the photos so I don't know what I am doing wrong. Used to work just fine, but I have been away for a few years now so I am behind the times... sorry.
I always have problems with pictures every time I come back to FC after a while 😅

For imgur images you have to insert it as media. If you want to avoid the ugly imgur embed you can use imgbb (same as imgur, free no limits) and insert your photo as a picture normally.

jambandphan03

in flavor country
Last edited:

shopdognyc

3 bowls and out...
I can't say that I can share everyone's enthusiasm for this device. I received the pink cups yesterday and it took about 30 minutes to build it, I had all the other parts so it was a very minimal investment. I then tried about 10 different glass bowls and it was too large to fit and stay in any one of them, you pretty much have to hold it the whole time you are vaping and it kind of lists so keeping it straight is a challenge. I then preheated it to 590 and took my first pull, I thought the taste was not horrible but strange, the second and first hits were better, plenty of vapor and good effects. I increased the heat to 605 for the 2nd bowl and got some charring on top, after I dumped it I realized that the AVB smelled awful and was immediately turned off. By the 3rd bowl, I already noticed some pink flaking and the bad AVB smell carried over into the hit, that was it for me. I personally don't feel the cup material is safe and the bad smelling AVB is an instant game stopper for me.
Sorry for your trouble. I think this is the first time I heard of pink flakes from anyone. I've wiped my down as best as I could and even gave it a swirl in iso + water.

590 seems high, at least for me, I am very good at 550. If it isn't for you I get it.

Comment on holding the pinky, some of the best bowls for me are the bowls that are just chamfered at the top. It has to hold in. I've done really well with the O'Connell topper bowl, elev8tor, etc. Some like the Grav Octo bowl as well. I don't know of anything that you can stick in and leave without holding in place.

Not sure about that AVB though.

Maybe try at a lower temp? Happy to chat with you more if its worth your time.

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Fuckin' imgur hates FC. :goon: We're trying to fix it, but it's not been resolved yet. Other image hosts should work fine still.

:peace:

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I clicked add media, and then copy/pasted the "direct link" option on my photo. Seems to be working now... can you guys see those pics I just dropped a few posts back?

jambandphan03,
Reactions: BigJr48

cvs8floz

Sorry for your trouble. I think this is the first time I heard of pink flakes from anyone. I've wiped my down as best as I could and even gave it a swirl in iso + water.

590 seems high, at least for me, I am very good at 550. If it isn't for you I get it.

Comment on holding the pinky, some of the best bowls for me are the bowls that are just chamfered at the top. It has to hold in. I've done really well with the O'Connell topper bowl, elev8tor, etc. Some like the Grav Octo bowl as well. I don't know of anything that you can stick in and leave without holding in place.

Not sure about that AVB though.

Maybe try at a lower temp? Happy to chat with you more if its worth your time.
Thank you for responding but I threw away the pink cup and will not revisit. The B1 is superior in every way and I already own it, no point in stepping down, I just had to try.

Glorg

I’m curious if there’s a big variety in pink tip quality the ones I have are way smoother and nicer looking then many of the pictures I’ve seen, the bottom has no pitting or chipping in any way but a few in the ten pack looked a tiny bit worse. I’ve been inspecting it daily and there’s been no signs of any pink dust or flakes, if anything is almost think it would wear the glass down first but that’s unlikely too. I use it exclusively through a water rig anyway so I’m not super afraid of any fine dust making it through all of that filtration but still keeping an eye on it, so far it’s perfect though.

shopdognyc

I’m curious if there’s a big variety in pink tip quality the ones I have are way smoother and nicer looking then many of the pictures I’ve seen, the bottom has no pitting or chipping in any way but a few in the ten pack looked a tiny bit worse. I’ve been inspecting it daily and there’s been no signs of any pink dust or flakes, if anything is almost think it would wear the glass down first but that’s unlikely too. I use it exclusively through a water rig anyway so I’m not super afraid of any fine dust making it through all of that filtration but still keeping an eye on it, so far it’s perfect though.
I personally don't think we would be able to chip that. If anything that rubs against like a coil, that would wear down against.

@cvs8floz there is a boro tig nozzle if you care to try as well. But if you happy with your B1 whatever!

jambandphan03

in flavor country
how are you guys building the brain securing the top (wider) screen on the glass tigs. I can't get mine to stay at all, and just ordered some 18mm mesh bowl screens hoping they will fit snug enough and do the job to keep the balls in the tig. No problems fitting the smaller opening with my 12mm bowl (basket) screen it popped right in place after a little smush of the mesh, but they are too small for the top opening which is closer to 18mm. I have tried 19mm flat screens bent in the shape of a bowl and even larger than that with no luck at all getting it to stay.

Last edited:
jambandphan03,
Reactions: BigJr48

checkyourlibido

Thank you for responding but I threw away the pink cup and will not revisit. The B1 is superior in every way and I already own it, no point in stepping down, I just had to try.
I'm at a point in life where I agree. But I've seen times where I would have definitely looked to save money. I love my B1. But I'm thrilled that others can build something almost as good and save money in the process.

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I am glad other folks are having a good experience using the glass tigs, but I am throwing in the towel with that working for me. I built one that was working amazingly, then let it cool, then heated again and crack... so I took it apart and had to smash the broken tig out of the coil. I built another to try again and it wouldn't stay in the coil, started sliding out while it was heating... so this just isn't feeling safe enough for me to continue. I am more than happy rockin' the Pinky, just had hoped the glass would work better than it did. Pinkies up!! :rockon:

VincentTheHealer

I was concerned myself at first and I did some light research and now I won't say I'm confident enough to write a paper about it, but, from my understanding, I'm confident enough to build it for myself. As you might have found out, the cup is made out of Alumina. Here and here you can find its physical properties and here, you can compare it with titanium. I might be misreading these since I'm not a scholar, but the material appears to be as hard as titanium so it won't flake, scratch or produce dust and we are using it at very low temperature compared to what is it supposed to be safely exposed.

the ones I have are way smoother and nicer looking then many of the pictures I’ve seen

Mine too look pristine, super smooth pink surface everywhere on the outside. No dust either... The other user post worried me a bit, so I tried my best to produce some with another cup of my dozen and couldn't :hmm:. Tried with various things from sharp tools to sanding paper made with aluminum oxide (the same stuff that the cup is made out of), the tool would leave marks that I could sand off but the sanding paper itself wouldn't do anything, not even make the surface a bit rough. The only way I could produce some dust/flakes is when I broke one hitting it with a hammer.

Thinking about that other guy and all his troubles and I'm very skeptic of his experience. Either he bought defective cups, hit them with a hammer to fit in the coil or is straight up lying (which wouldn't be surprising since other details are sus too like the abv experience and the complain about having to hold it; which is something he had to know before hand since every video about it show ppl holding it.

Top Bottom