Discontinued The Okin by D.M. Pipes

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
Hahaha, thanks for the kind words @VegNVape ,

And If anyone is curious, I dose out the charcoals by weight. And it just so happens to be pretty darn accurate. But I always make sure to go a little over weight just in case.

So... no.. I don't sit there and count out every single charcoal by hand, hahah. That would be madness!

NickDlow

Log Hog
Hahaha, thanks for the kind words @VegNVape ,

And If anyone is curious, I dose out the charcoals by weight. And it just so happens to be pretty darn accurate. But I always make sure to go a little over weight just in case.

So... no.. I don't sit there and count out every single charcoal by hand, hahah. That would be madness!

There would be no time to actually make the Okin if you did haha

Derrrpp

For the world is hollow and I have touched the sky
I'm repeating myself here, but I can't wait to get on board with the next batch of Okins. It's too bad I was on vacation when the email for the first batch went out. I won't be missing the next one! :ninja:

The Okin is on the top of my list of future purchases. There's a few others that I want as well, but money's a little tight right now and they can wait. I must have the Okin! I have no qualms about forking over the cash for this fine piece of craftsmanship. The pictures on this thread are beautiful enough, I can't even imagine what it will feel like to hold one in my own two hands! So excited! Now I just have to figure out what color box I want... I'm thinking I like the looks of the unpainted boxes, actually...

...OK I'll stop rambling now. :lol:

:peace:

Madcap79

Jack of all trades, master of none.
Vape nerd chubbin'! Wow wow wow! Just got home from OKC and this was in the mail! I feel like blowin' my mind up!

Awesome awesome work @Dan Morrison . Can't wait to give it a go! Amazing craftsmanship. You can feel the quality. :love::love::love::love::love::rockon::rockon::science::science::clap::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

11kli8g.jpg

Madcap79

First run was a success! Drilling was easy. Just use a downward twisting motion with light pressure. Not too messy. I just used some paper to drill the ember. A little dust. Easy cleanup. Light the ember using a torch lighter. Torched it until it started going red. A few primer puffs and I was off. If the ember didn't burn even, I just torched the side that was lagging. Eventually it burned even. It was a very pleasurable experience. I would say it's not for someone going for the purest taste. It has a smokey flavor that starts half way through. Doesn't bother me much and will go great with a Johnnie Walker Black.....:brow:

It is pretty much dependent on draw speed but I found it easy to get the technique down. I still need to fine tune it though. When I was quite stoned I just quit puffing and the ember burnt itself out. Let it cool down and pull the ember out of 'the crown'. As of now (honeymoon stage), I'm VERY pleased with my purchase. Just as art, it was worth it. My hats off to you, Mr @Dan Morrison !!! Bravo!:luv::drool::love:

It has hit me harder than I expected! True, I had a 5 day work enforced t-break, but holy shit! I already have a setup in mind for Okinbonging!

Edit: It will be the PERFECT camping vape! I'm so giddy it's a little embarrassing.....

Last edited:

Madcap79

Okinbonging!! The second rip I thought was combustion but I have no ashtray mouth and no evidence of ash. I really thought I combusted. Dark dark ABV though. Wow. The thing can pump out vapor. I'm having a hard time believing it wasn't combustion. So confused. :hmm:

Either way, you can see how it's all in the pull. Enjoy and tell me what you think? :science::whoa:

Last edited:

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
Okinbonging!! The second rip I thought was combustion but I have no ashtray mouth and no evidence of ash. I really thought I combusted. Dark dark ABV though. Wow. Thing thing can pump out vapor. I'm having a hard time believing it wasn't combustion. So confused. :hmm:

Either way, you can see how it's all in the pull. Enjoy and tell me what you think? :science::whoa:

:rockon:That's fecking INSANE!!! I can't wait to get mine now!!!:rockon:

Madcap79

Just had my third ember. Waaaay better flavor wise this time. Took my pup for a walk. Lit the ember and took an couple draws to get the ember glowing. Then, I switched to long very soft draws. Very good flavor for the first 4 draws. Then, I used a puffing method on the middle part of my session. Once the vapor decreased I took short but strong draws to get the last bit of high temp goodies out. Worked pretty well. The ember I used was drilled terribly and I still had a great session. Pretty cool.

BubbaGump

Okinbonging!! The second rip I thought was combustion but I have no ashtray mouth and no evidence of ash. I really thought I combusted. Dark dark ABV though. Wow. The thing can pump out vapor. I'm having a hard time believing it wasn't combustion. So confused. :hmm:

Good lord, man!

:nope:

Thanks for the input.

:peace:

bounce5

How are we sure that there isn't coal/coal smoke in the vapor?

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer

We can be sure, because we know how this charcoal was produced. It's impossible that there would be anything left in those charcoals to produce visible smoke.

To imagine it more simply, take steam as an example. There is a certain amount of water in the maple wood dowels that I use to make these charcoals. This is the first thing to be driven from the wood during the carbonization process. Once past a certain temperature, you can be 100% certain that all water is gone from the wood/charcoal. The same can be said for the organic compounds that volatize in the later stages of carbonization.

Even if you took an entire batch of charcoals, about 2500 pieces, and set them all ablaze, they would not produce a visible smoke.

The same cannot be said for low quality hookah charcoal or BBQ charcoal, because most hookah charcoals have quick light chemicals and contaminants that may produce smoke, and BBQ charcoal is produced at a lower temperature, so not all of the VOCs have been driven off...which can then volatize and appear as a smoke... which can be okay for BBQ charcoal because you may want some of the flavour characteristics of the source wood in there... perhaps.

If anyone wants to test this with an empty Okin, I encourage it. But as a warning, this will increase the temperature of the steel tip to wood stem connection point which could lead to charring of the wood in extreme tests. And also you will perhaps see vapor from any deposits of resin on the inside of the stem or chamber. Also, a brand new Okin will possibly show visible vapour as the beeswax from the cotton thread, and the natural oils in the cocobolo are vaporized.

Last edited:

bounce5

We can be sure, because we know how this charcoal was produced. It's impossible that there would be anything left in those charcoals to produce visible smoke.

To imagine it more simply, take steam as an example. There is a certain amount of water in the maple wood dowels that I use to make these charcoals. This is the first thing to be driven from the wood during the carbonization process. Once past a certain temperature, you can be 100% certain that all water is gone from the wood/charcoal. The same can be said for the organic compounds that volatize in the later stages of carbonization.

Even if you took an entire batch of charcoals, about 2500 pieces, and set them all ablaze, they would not produce a visible smoke.

The same cannot be said for low quality hookah charcoal or BBQ charcoal, because most hookah charcoals have quick light chemicals and contaminants that may produce smoke, and BBQ charcoal is produced at a lower temperature, so not all of the VOCs have been driven off...which can then volatize and appear as a smoke... which can be okay for BBQ charcoal because you may want some of the flavour characteristics of the source wood in there... perhaps.

If anyone wants to test this with an empty Okin, I encourage it. But as a warning, this will increase the temperature of the steel tip to wood stem connection point which could lead to charring of the wood in extreme tests. And also you will perhaps see vapor from any deposits of resin on the inside of the stem or chamber. Also, a brand new Okin will possibly show visible valour as the beeswax from the cotton thread, and the natural lils in the cocobolo are vaporized.

Great answer. Thanks! I have a feeling that will be or is a frequently asked question/concern. It would be good to have that answer on the website F.A.Q.'s paired with a video proving it.

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
Great answer. Thanks! I have a feeling that will be or is a frequently asked question.

Haha yep, it sure is!

For most, BBQ charcoal or worse, coal, is their reference point when thinking about charcoal in general. The fact is that charcoal comes in a ton of different quality grades and compositions, from varied source materials, and different production methods.

So it's understandable.

Madcap79

It was definitely not coal smoke. On my third ember I had no smokey flavor. It was pretty good herb flavor actually. I'm really impressed with it. I didn't think it could be a daily driver but.......

I could do a video with just an ember and no herb to test how smoke free the coal is give me an hour or two. Not home now.

Madcap79

Ok. Here is a comparison. The first video is with just an ember. I should've used my unused Okin but I did not. You can see a little bit of vapor but nothing significant. As Dan said, it could be residuals from my previous use and from the oils used for finishing. It was very minimal either way. The second video is with meds and using the same ember. It took a little bit to get going but once it did I got good production. I used approx. 0.07g of herb. You can fit a pretty good amount in the barrel though. Anyway, I'll quit babbling. Enjoy!

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
Ok. Here is a comparison. The first video is with just an ember. I should've used my unused Okin but I did not. You can see a little bit of vapor but nothing significant. As Dan said, it could be residuals from my previous use and from the oils used for finishing. It was very minimal either way. The second video is with meds and using the same ember. It took a little bit to get going but once it did I got good production. I used approx. 0.07g of herb. You can fit a pretty good amount in the barrel though. Anyway, I'll quit babbling. Enjoy!

@Madcap79 - would love to see a vid of the Okin in action without water!!! Also, a suggestion: try priming your lit Okin with cigarette mouth puffs before attaching to your bubbler - without all the preliminary lung pulls you should probably get instant wall-to-wall white-out ...it'll save you lots of lung power for the real 1st pull. Also, a bubbler with much less volume may give you great results with less effort.

Last edited:

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
Another suggestion I would make is to spend a few more seconds lighting the charcoal. And give the charcoal a blow on the end until the entire end face is glowing. Also also, careful lighting while inhaling, because I have tried that, and I just ended up inhaling the heat from the butane torch right into the chamber causing instant combustion. But you seem to have the technique down anyhow, so do what works best for ya!

Just loving the feedback!! :)

Madcap79

@Snappo
@Dan Morrison

I did come to realize that I needed to heat the ember longer before the initial pull. I was scared about inhaling while lighting and realized it wasn't a good idea. A smaller bubbler would help with the breathing but I wanted to show off the vapor production. I'll try to post a dry use video from start to finish for those of you who want to sit through it. Time to drill a couple coals.

Top Bottom