• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued The Okin by D.M. Pipes

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
Hey Everyone,

Sorry for not updating earlier, been busy with non business related stuff this week.

I'll be getting back into the shop tomorrow, and working on finishing a few final production models to send off to the testers! I'll take some photographs tomorrow and let you all see how it's coming along!

Shouldn't take more than a week to have the tester models done, and if they turn out the way I imagine, I'll know that I can go ahead with making a couple more jigs and setting up the dedicated tools to make large batches quickly.

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
Okin in the sun.

ZVp8vUR.jpg

112 metal tips waiting to be drilled and tapped.

87C1Cxl.jpg

Adapter plate that holds my mini-lathe to the drill press table.

v5BfjGu.jpg

Bottom of adapter plate.

RXUnDmX.jpg

The pivot point for the motor mount. This allows the drill press table to be raised and lowered without effecting the tension of the drive belt.

YDh4pW1.jpg

Drilling and tapping jig setup and almost ready to go.

5McDvGW.jpg

The metal Okin tips are held between centers on the lathe, and the spindle attached to an indexing plate with 5 stop points for each hole location. This will make drilling the 10 screw holes very fast. The same setup is then used to tap each of the holes. For this, the drill press spindle is detached from the motor and the chuck will be turned by hand. Hand tapping will reduce the chance of breaking a tap.

CwQI22D.jpg

Tomorrow I can hopefully finish making the indexing plate and custom mandrel to hold the metal tips in place.

VegNVape

Increase the Peace
Company Rep
@Dan Morrison - Thank you so much for allowing us yet another tantalising glimpse into your world, and for showing us some more of the steps involved in creating what is going to arguably be one of the most innovative, organic & possibly most natural feeling vaporizers on the face of this beautiful planet! :cool:

:peace:

NorVape

Vape Rictim
I'm allready thinking of ways to enjoy this with delicious old school hashes. Imagine getting that distinct middle eastern or north african exotic flavour with this beautiful vape. It's like they are made for each other, just that they actually aren't. But I'll figure something out!

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
Thanks everyone! :)

Today I got started on the custom mandrel to hold the metal tips onto the drilling jig.

But first, I thought it would be a good idea to check the run-out on my drill press spindle. If the chuck or spindle wasn't running true, then I would have a whole lot of trouble down the line and would have to come up with a new solution. Luckily the Jacobs chuck only had about a half thou runout, not bad for an old drill press! It will be just fine for my purposes.

VhqYpvw.jpg

Drilling out the brass arbor.

yEGw5ZX.jpg

The ID was then bored to size to accept a 3/4 -16NF tap. These threads will adapt the mandrel to the lathe spindle.

I6E8hb7.jpg

Cutting the threads using a live center to keep everything perfectly straight.

0ZVF6vU.jpg

Threads cut and OD turned.

jZn788S.jpg

The mandrel is attached to the lathe spindle to test, everything looks good! I left the OD a bit over sized. I will turn it to exact dimensions on the mini-lathe so that the mandrel is perfectly concentric to the spindle.

3LGrX2E.jpg

The metal tips will slide over the mandrel and be drilled like so.

pqXlUyU.jpg

Next is to make an aluminum indexing plate that I will attach to the rear of the mandrel.

Last edited:

Haakkon

What keeps the tip from spinning on the mandril? Just friction?

Seeing the jigs and tooling setups are super cool. I feel like it helps add value to the product by showing the beautiful work out into it.

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
What keeps the tip from spinning on the mandril? Just friction?

Today's work will shed some light on that!

I first turned the mandrel to the correct OD. Then sanded/polished the brass for a perfect fit with the steel tips.

VM8Dzho.jpg

A thread was cut and center point drilled. The center point will make contact with the tailstock center to keep the jig rigid while in use.

6oH5pbQ.jpg

Back over to my large lathe where I turned, drilled, and tapped a brass nut.

Pc1K1AA.jpg

Brass nut complete. This just goes on finger-tight to lock the steel tip in place so it doesn't spin on the mandrel.

sjQ1IM8.jpg

Complete assembly.

sgCzEUX.jpg

Next I will make the indexing plate, the final piece!

9xGFUjO.jpg

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
So much eye candy. I think this is one of my favorite pages of the thread so far.

I know, right!

@Dan Morrison , you are an amazing photographer. I am loving this thread, it's quite a pleasure to watch the evolution of the Okin from it's initial concept. I almost want to print my favorite picture from this thread on a wide format printer and frame it for my house :lol: - speaking of which, do you have high resolution copies of those pictures??? :cool:

I'm really looking forward to this vape, even if I only use it a handful of times and keep it on a shelf for display.

Last edited by a moderator:

axakal

i second that request for high res pictures. :)

I know, right!

@Dan Morrison , you are an amazing photographer. I am loving this thread, it's quite a pleasure to watch the evolution of the Okin from it's initial concept. I almost want to print my favorite picture from this thread on a wide format printer and frame it for my house :lol: - speaking of which, do you have high resolution copies of those pictures??? :cool:

I'm really looking forward to this vape, even if I only use it a handful of times and keep it on a shelf for display.

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
I almost want to print my favorite picture from this thread on a wide format printer and frame it for my house :lol: - speaking of which, do you have high resolution copies of those pictures???

:) Thanks! And I keep all my original files, but the script I use to save my edited photos also re-sizes them for web viewing. If you tell me which ones you want the full resolutions of, I'll go ahead and re-edit without the resizing, then post them here for download!

Derrrpp

For the world is hollow and I have touched the sky
:) Thanks! And I keep all my original files, but the script I use to save my edited photos also re-sizes them for web viewing. If you tell me which ones you want the full resolutions of, I'll go ahead and re-edit without the resizing, then post them here for download!
I like the sound of that! :tup:

Hmm... Definitely this one:
And I really like this one too. (If you wanted, you could even re-create the shot with a version of the Okin that's closer to the production model. ;) But that's not a necessity, just an idea, as I really like the one pictured here regardless)
These are just my 2 favorites, any and all eye candy is truly appreciated :D

Top Bottom