The NEWS !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

grokit

well-worn member
The real news is in Thailand atm, where democracy itself is on the ropes:

Thailand’s Military Stages Coup, Thwarting Populist Movement

BANGKOK — The Thai military seized control of the country on Thursday and detained at least 25 leading politicians in a culmination of months of maneuvering by the Bangkok establishment to sideline a populist movement that has won every national election since 2001.

The coup was seen as a victory for the elites in Thailand who have grown disillusioned with popular democracy and have sought for years to diminish the electoral power of Thaksin Shinawatra, a former prime minister who commands support in the rural north. Unable to win elections, the opposition has instead called for an appointed prime minister, and pleaded with the military for months to step in.

As soldiers spread out throughout Bangkok on Thursday, the generals issued a series of announcements, declaring most of the Constitution “terminated,” banning gatherings of more than five people, imposing a curfew and shutting schools.

The Thai Army chief, Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha, announced a coup after his efforts to reconcile rival political factions failed, and Bangkok residents reacted to the news.

The coup was at least the 12th military takeover since Thailand abandoned the absolute monarchy in 1932. But unlike many previous coups, which involved infighting among generals, Thursday’s military takeover had as a subtext the political awakening among rural Thais who have loyally supported Mr. Thaksin and benefited from patronage and policies such as universal health care and microloans.

The Thai military had initially pledged that Thursday would be a day of seeking political compromise, two days after declaring martial law in what it said was an attempt to force a political resolution. The army hosted rival political leaders, including Mr. Suthep, for what was billed as a second round of talks. But after several hours, soldiers detained the participants, including cabinet ministers.

The leader of the army, Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha, then announced the coup on national television, saying he would “reform the political structure, the economy and the society.”

Television stations were ordered to replace their regular programming with messages from the military and patriotic songs. The military also issued a summons for 41 political figures tied to Mr. Thaksin, including Ms. Yingluck, who was removed as prime minister by a court this month and replaced by a deputy.

The coup drew immediate rebukes from abroad. Secretary of State John Kerry urged that civilian government be restored immediately.

“There is no justification for this military coup,” he said in a statement. “While we value our long friendship with the Thai people, this act will have negative implications for the U.S.-Thai relationship, especially for our relationship with the Thai military.”

A spokesman at the Defense Department said the Pentagon was reviewing military cooperation, including planned joint exercises set to start Monday.

The United Nations secretary general, Ban Ki-moon, also appealed for a “prompt return to constitutional, civilian, democratic rule.” And like Mr. Kerry, Britain’s foreign secretary and the office of the European Union’s foreign policy chief, Catherine Ashton, were among those calling for new elections.

In December, the governing party dissolved the House of Representatives in an attempt to defuse the crisis and set an election for February. But the opposition Democrat Party, which has not won a national election in two decades, refused to take part. The "Constitutional Court" later ruled that the election was unconstitutional, one of several rulings against the government by a court perceived by government supporters to be highly political.

The military said Thursday that it would be fair to both sides in the continuing political dispute. But it allowed antigovernment demonstrators to remain in their protest site overnight, even as soldiers in black masks dispersed crowds loyal to Mr. Thaksin and the deposed government.

After deposing Mr. Thaksin in 2006, the generals put in place an administration that was widely seen as a failure.

“The lesson they learned the last time was that the medicine they prescribed after the coup was not strong enough,” said Thongchai Winichakul, a former student activist in Thailand who is now a professor of Southeast Asian history at the University of Wisconsin. “There’s a high possibility of very drastic measures and suppression this time.”

At the time, the Constitution was rewritten to strengthen the role of judges, and the popular representation in the Senate was diluted.

The initial trigger for the latest political crisis were the attempts by Ms. Yingluck’s party to institute an amnesty program that could have allowed Mr. Thaksin to return from exile.

Although Thailand has been burdened with tumultuous politics for decades, it has also been, by many measures, an economic success story and a well-functioning society, consistently outperforming almost all of its neighbors. Close to 100 percent of the population has running water and electricity. The unemployment rate is only around 1 percent. And American and Japanese automotive factories together export more than a million cars a year from the country.

Despite those strengths, the economy contracted in the first quarter amid the unrest.

In Thailand’s turbulent political history, the king, Bhumibol Adulyadej, has on at least one occasion helped resolve political disputes. But he is 86 years old and ailing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/23/world/asia/thailand-military-coup.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

Crohnie

Crohn's Warrior
Why are the media so dumbfounded after discovering the motive of Elliot Rodger who killed those 6 people in Santa Barbara? The motive behind the killings was sick and twisted, but it is hardly new. Think of all the mass shootings/killings that were motivated by guys who were pissed off because they couldn't get laid. It may not be pretty, but it's the truth.

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Did you read his 141 page biography/plan/whatever it was? I admit, I read like the beginning 20 pages and more at the end, and kinda skimmed the middle but it was, if true, one of the most horrific/intriguing looks into the mind of a psychopath I have ever seen. With the videos, its chilling. Where were the parents? Especially when he talks about his life going completely antisocial when he got into World of Warcraft?

lwien

Especially when he talks about his life going completely antisocial when he got into World of Warcraft?

That happens with a LOT of people with that game though. It can be so damn immersive that it can literally take over your life. People have lost their jobs, their wives, their husbands, their children, dropped out of school, etc etc with that damn game. I got so addicted to it that I had to give my 'puter to my sister for about a month. It was, without a doubt, at that time, my drug of choice.

Google WoW addiction.

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
That happens with a LOT of people with that game though. It can be so damn immersive that it can literally take over your life. People have lost their jobs, their wives, their husbands, their children, dropped out of school, etc etc with that damn game. I got so addicted to it that I had to give my 'puter to my sister for about a month. It was, without a doubt, at that time, my drug of choice.
Google WoW addiction.
I hear ya. There are kids in Korea that play so hard they go to the ER and die some times from dehydration and complications, sometimes from gaming drugs.

Edit: I should mention that I have a 16th level barbarian named Granthor that I developed when I first became ill in the Dungeons & Dragons Online universe that just happened to be finishing beta testing at the time. It mimicked the rules just like from when I was a kid. It had live audio chat with people in your party, I met people from all over the world crawling dungeons. I might even go back, you never know. Granthor kicked fucking ass.

Last edited:

Crohnie

Crohn's Warrior
Dear media: Stop calling Chicago "ChIRAQ." The number of murders in Chicago have gone down every year, except one, for the past 22 years. The number of murders was the lowest since 1965 and the crime rate was the lowest since 1972. Facts are a bitch, huh? Damn media :goon:

grokit

well-worn member
So it turns out, the fucking pings were from the ping detectors:

Search area for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370
'can now be discounted'

Thu May 29, 2014
Source: CNN
  • Australia's deputy PM defends searching the southern Indian Ocean
  • The joint search agency says the original search area is not plane's final resting place
  • U.S. Navy official: The pings detected are no longer believed to have come from the plane
  • The pings had been at the center of the search since they were picked up weeks ago
(CNN) -- The 850-square-kilometer swath of the Indian Ocean where officials have focused their hunt for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 probably isn't the right place, the joint search agency said Thursday.

The area off the coast of western Australia is not the "final resting place of MH370," the Australia-based Joint Agency Coordination Centre said.

Officials zeroed in on that zone after acoustic pings originally thought to be from the black boxes of the missing plane were detected in early April.

"The Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) has advised that the search in the vicinity of the acoustic detections can now be considered complete and in its professional judgment, the area can now be discounted as the final resting place of MH370," a statement from the Joint Agency Coordination Centre said.

140528102612-mh370-file-story-body.jpeg

Pings were not from Flight 370... now what?

140410160503-malaysia-370-search-hmas-perth-success-story-body.jpg

MH370 search goes back to square one

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/29/world/asia/malaysia-missing-plane/

The most likely explanation will never be discussed in the msm,
until it's used for the next false flag:
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/malaysia-f...cion-involvement-disappearance-flight-1447185

edit: :tinfoil::suspicious::zombie:

Last edited:

Caligula

Maximus
Most likely? How is that more likely than the plane sitting under the ocean somewhere?

Caligula,

Caligula

Maximus
Right but that's due to logistics. By the same token I could say finding the plane on the moon is a viable option because of the improbability of finding where the plane crashed without further data to narrow the search field.

I can't find my fucking mailbox key in my 2300 Sq ft house... just something to keep in relevant perspective.

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
As is the possibility that that plane is being painted black right now with the "you-know-who" flag on the tail. I hope we never see that plane again. Honestly, I don't think we will, but you never know.

basement farmer

My face is melting...
I came to the conclusion that despite being a info-junkie, the news (especially world news) more or less bummed me out. I've decided that periodic black-out periods are required for mental health well being.

gangababa

Apparently the Cliven Bundy supporter who murdered two cops in a Las Vegas pizza joint, lost patience when the "federal agents (didn't) come in here and and push us around". So he brought the violence to them.
Start at 1:06 (counts backwards, frame 39) to see Jerad Miller TV news interview on 4/20/2014.
BTW, I have seen his name spelled three different ways.

Violence is the only language he knew. We need to stop teaching it.
Ignorance must be destroyed. Knowledge alone can do this.

Because the depth of ignorancecannot be fathomed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Well, that sure didn’t take long. Alex Jones, crazy right-wing conspiracy theorist and con artist, took to his radio show on Monday to claim that the Las Vegas shooting that took place on Sunday was a false flag operation to turn public sentiment against the so-called patriot movement." (source)
http://www.politicususa.com/2014/06...-las-vegas-shooting-false-flag-set-obama.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom