The LazyVape!

lazylathe

Almost there...
I welcome you to the debut of the LazyVape!!

Lately I have been working with ceramic heating elements instead of resistors.

This new thread will show you how I have made this very cool vaporizer.

A few facts about the vape:

· 30 second heat up time

· All glass air path, except for the ceramic heater

· Glass heat tube

· Glass stem

· Stainless steel screens

· 150 Watt in line rotary dimmer control

The ceramic heating element I am using is an 110V 60Watt heater.

It has more than enough power to combust herb if turned up too high.

The unit has a rapid heat up time and can be ready to use in around 45 seconds.
Using this method I turn the dial to Max and wait 30 seconds, the ceramic heater starts to glow red-hot. Once it starts to glow I turn it down to a temp that suits whatever is being vaped.

I have tried some wax in a bit of 100% pure cotton and it works really well!

I needed to up the temp a bit till the heater was just glowing lightly and then the wax really took off. Taste was great and clouds were nice and dense.

When using with dried material I will start at a lower temp to get all the flavor and taste first. The all glass air path and the ceramic heater make this vape a flavor beast!

The one thing I am really enjoying is moving the screen in the stem to different positions, you can case it in one draw or make the flavor last a long time by raising the screen a lot, very versatile!!

It is totally different to how I use all my other vapes and to how it tastes.

I think I saw it mentioned in the HI thread that to get the most out of the vape to use it like a trombone. Same deal with this one!

Stem goes between the lips and help in right hand, left hand brings vape up to stem and you start to draw. When the temp starts to rise remove from heat and continue drawing till cool. Repeat as required or till taste deteriorates.

I can go a long time with a small load.
Unfortunately my scale does not weigh less than 0,1gram…
I think I load about a ¼ of a gram per stem, so 0,025grams.
Lost count at around 10 hits and then I needed to sit down for a while!

I still need to finish off the markings on the dimmer. I have not yet had a chance to get the supplies, hopefully this week.

Anyway here are some pics!!

2013-11-17153931_zps45324840.jpg

2013-11-17154026_zps685d1562.jpg

2013-11-17154031_zpsd311f12d.jpg

2013-11-17154053_zps6e5b018d.jpg

2013-11-17153946_zpsdadf6282.jpg

Last edited:

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
I am really impressed with how much progress you've made on this project in such a short length of time. This vaporizer looks great. What a lucky friend you have.

vorrange

Vapor.wise
You could try an all glass vapor path on your next unit. Put a test tube covering the element. Then you just need a larger outer tube.

First all glass log vape. bam! :D

placetime

Awesome job! :clap: Did you by any chance snap some pics of the heater/tube setup before you put them in the wood? :cool:

placetime,
Reactions: lazylathe

lazylathe

Almost there...
Awesome job! :clap: Did you by any chance snap some pics of the heater/tube setup before you put them in the wood? :cool:

Forgot to do that but when i disassemble it this weekend i will take some pics.
The test tube is inserted through a hole close to the bottom of the vape.
The ceramic heater is kept in place by two custom bent SS clips to keep it centered.
All connected by wire nuts for now as the base does not even get warm in use.
Then the base is aluminum that is screwed to the wood.
For this version the cord is compressed by the aluminum base to keep it from moving, the updated version will have a retaining device to keep the cord from being pulled out.

I will be exchanging the heat tube for a closed test tube and then a larger one will be placed over it thus making an ALL GLASS air path!
Thanks to @vorrange for that idea!!!

vorrange

Vapor.wise
No need to thank me LazyVape, i would try and experiment that myself if i had the tools and the know-how to work with wood.

I'm glad you liked my idea, and me thinks you're about to make history. The first all glass log vaporizer. mnham mnham, tasty and efficient in a small, sturdy package.

What more can you ask from a vape unless you're looking for big rips and in that case you need something with a bigger thermal mass? :D

LazyVape FTW!

as

Man that is so sick i have bin watching your other thread and i wish i had mates like you fucking mint and all glass will make it eavn better

z9

I am loving this vape Lazy - ever consider making the cord removable to prevent it from getting twisted like some logs?

How's does the glass air path deal with long/hard draws? Is there enough thermal mass to keep it pumping out hot air or is a restricted/slow draw needed for increased vapor density on big hits?

lazylathe

Almost there...
@lazylathe

If you are going to start selling these, pm vtac to get your manufacturer status.

Never mentioned selling them anywhere...
This was started for a friend of mine and has morphed into trying to make a vape that suits him perfectly.

I like designing and building stuff, anything that interests me.
Since i started vaping this field really interests me even more but only for myself and perhaps a few very close friends, but not for general sale.

@vorrange if you can handle a bit of heat you can take huge rips off this thing.
One bowl one hit if you can take it!

I am loving this vape Lazy - ever consider making the cord removable to prevent it from getting twisted like some logs?

How's does the glass air path deal with long/hard draws? Is there enough thermal mass to keep it pumping out hot air or is a restricted/slow draw needed for increased vapor density on big hits?

It handles huge rips and never misses a beat!
I have not yet been able to notice any cooling down during use.
So far it has defeated me everytime!

For this vape thermal mass is not important for retaining heat as the heater puts out and keeps up without any issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

z9

This was started for a friend of mine and has morphed into trying to make a vape that suits him perfectly.

How much would you charge to make me one of your friends? :D In all seriousness, you shouldn't have made such a sweet vape if you didn't want everyone on FC asking for one.

It handles huge rips and never misses a beat!
I have not yet been able to notice any cooling down during use.
So far it has defeated me everytime!

For this vape thermal mass is not important for retaining heat as the heater puts out and keeps up without any issues.

I didn't read Vorrange's post... kind of repeated what he said. But I was referring to the thermal mass of the glass core. The only reason I asked is because other vapes that utilize a ceramic tip can be overwhelmed by the amount of air flow if the heater core isn't up to operating temperature.

lazylathe

Almost there...
Saturday morning wake and bake with the worlds first GLASS on
GLASS log vape!!!!!
Have it turn up the temps a bit but it works really well and tastes great!!!
For the moment the larger test tube is sealed with some medical grade silicone tube to the smaller test tube.
I will most likely fabricate some SS retainers to hold the larger test tube in place!

I will disassemble and take pics sometime this weekend!

EDIT!!! LOL!!! Wake and bakes are not good for me!
Forget i mentioned stainless steel clips… That would make it NOT an all glass air path…
I blame the MadShack strength...

Last edited:

Oscar_Milde

Forum Crawler

I like designing and building stuff, anything that interests me.
Since i started vaping this field really interests me even more but only for myself and perhaps a few very close friends, but not for general sale.
I think you need to throw your personal ideals and current profession out of the metaphorical window in the interest of the greater good, these need to be available for sale!:brow::brow:

In all seriousness though, really.:lol:

Oscar_Milde,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
Nice @lazylathe !!

You work fast man! haha! :D

I was expecting the need to rise the temps, how much is the difference in voltage, do you know?

How is the difference in taste? Noticeable or barely?

vorrange,

lazylathe

Almost there...
I did not want to edit my last post due to me adding pictures and descriptions, trying to keep it in chronological order!

I welcome you to view The LazyVape V2.0.

For this new revision i have doubled up on the test tubes so that it is an ALL GLASS AIR PATH!
The only metal in the air path is the Stainless Steel mesh screen to keep any herb out.

I have secured the two test tubes together with a small ring of medical grade silicone tubing and i added some slits to the outer test tube for fresh air to be drawn in.

I have found that this version requires a longer heat up time and for it to work optimally the whole enclosure needs to be warm, no more 45 seconds to vaping.
It takes a good two minutes to reach vamping temps, which is still acceptable to me.
The temp can be dialled down once it is all warmed up.

Taste is very much improved! This is something i was after more than just being able to blow huge clouds, which it also does very well.

Time for the pictures and descriptions!

The ceramic heater and centring clips. Notice only the top one is discoloured from the heat, the lower one is slightly tarnished but still very shiny. All the heat is located in the top 2/3rds of the ceramic heater.
2013-11-23093717_zpsed93243f.jpg

The parts of the heater cover, heat tube, silicone ring and stainless steel anchoring plate
2013-11-23095109_zps2a94ed5b.jpg

All assembled and ready to install in the enclosure
2013-11-23095318_zpsb6c69760.jpg

Heater installed and connected with wire nuts for now. Still need to work on a more secure connection and a device to maintain the cords position so that it cannot be pulled out.
2013-11-23093656_zpse0aab35f.jpg

Same base and same stem design as previous version.

lazylathe

Almost there...
The only non glass in the air path is the silicone seal at the bottom and the SS screen in the top if the outer tube.

I first need to widen the hole on top and insert an Aluminum tube to protect the wood.
Since installing two test tubes the heat needs to be increased quite a bit I get good sized clouds.
At the lower settings it is a flavor fiesta and it lasts for quite a while.

I will try and get a video up when the modifications are done!

lazylathe

Almost there...
Upgrades done!
And what an improvement it has made!
So far hit it once and i am very medicated…
First hit was very tasty but a bit wispy… second hit i dug deep and did it all in one pull.
Vapor started to get quite a bit warmer and i could feel my throat starting to tingle so i knew it was time to stop! Pretty decent cloud off some sub par meds but the coughing fit afterwards was quite bad and i almost never cough after vaping!!

The load size was measure using an E-Nano glass stem, i filled it up to where i usually do and transferred it to my new stem. I have no idea how much it weighs, possibly 1/4 of a gram?

It was cashed in two draws and i am beyond medicated now! Thank god for auto spell correct because my fingers and arms are numb….
So far it has taken 32 minutes to type this reply…

Time for two pictures.
The first is of the drilled out hole with an Aluminum sleeve inserted. This has removed the slight wood taste and seems to have increased the internal temps a bit while the outside shell has cooled down a bit.
2013-11-24084858_zps913eb6ed.jpg

And this is what old, nasty Pineapple Express looks like after two hits!
2013-11-24084554_zps8ac903f6.jpg

Will do a video tonight with some better quality meds!
I need to go lie down for a bit now...

Top Bottom