The amount of free cannabis must equal 2 percent of a dispensary’s gross weight sold

215z

The dispensaries I go to around here give away alot of free weed.

not sure any of them would have any trouble complying with the rule

215z

They are being required to give away the minimum amount, but here in California collectives can give any amount of cannabis to its members gratis.

Berkeley Patients Group gives away the most free weed around here. Maybe Berkeley is forcing that ethic on all its dispensaries in anticipation of BPG getting shut down.

Seren

Away with the fairies
Thanks for clarifying that for me @215z I obviously don't know the ins-&-outs, but on the surface that sounds like a great idea :nod:

Egzoset

Banned
Wow!

This almost sounds like free beer!!

Euh... If such a thing really exists, no strings attached.

:hmm:

Next time i need 94 % concentrated alcohol i shall remember to ask i guess. At ~27 Cannuck dollar$ for only 375 ml the economy should prove substancial...

:peace:

215z

lol the free weed is for our most vulnerable patients: folks who differently-abled, low-income, have cancer, aids, or crohns. we all have to play the hand we're dealt, but I would rather NOT qualify for free weed.

an $8 cutting is not free, but with a little love and care can result in a bunch of weed in 90 days :)

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
What the world needs is more free weed . . . :peace:

harvest.jpg

---
jars.jpg

tepictoton

Yes,

this should not even be a 'rule'...this is a present from nature meant to be shared...and if we want to do this right we make sure no one gets left behind...

I know this is how it 'officially' is, but how about the idea of donations, and taking it to the next level? I mean, if your medicine is good and helps people, then money is secondary to all the rest...and you only will need one more fortunate person that feels your medicine is the best and decides to 'sponsor' you to be able to provide for many more people in need (without the resources to donate much themselves)...:2c:

tepictoton,
Reactions: t-dub

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations,

Actually free weed isn't exactly the point i focussed on. It's about the ironic faith of cannabis plants growing in high-security vaults - or prisons for plants, essentially speaking... So maybe a comparison with free food instead would have sounded more appropriate, not that some foods never inspired collective witch hunts before, in places with nearly captive clients such as those of schools and hospitals, for example.

Evil hides in little details i heard. Isn't this at risk of endorsing prohibitionist dogma in the eye of the average public when all that is really needed is free cannabis grown in our own gardens if that can help?...

Egzoset,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
My nightmare is legalization, taxation, and revocation of patient growing rights which could price medicine out of my reach. My health depends on free, medical quality weed. Period. Without it I don't exist. Occasionally I'll pop for concentrates which are "value added" but my budget doesn't allow for much. I am very lucky I have my "Rembrandt" to take care of me. . . :)

tepictoton

yeah...something you do not hear so often...but 'legalizing' is not all good as you mention...just depends on how you define 'legal' I guess...

Only 'legal' I am interested in is this way: here is a plant, enjoy it any way you want...basically how it has been for ages before we started this experiment...

tuk

Just about any form of 'legal' is better than any form of 'illegal'.

Worst case scenario we return to how it was before legalisation....which is a big step backwards.

215z

The regulation scheme has worked out well here in California for patients.
There are no stamp taxes, quotas are very generous, and there are no restriction on eligible ailments.
If you sell weed, yeah there is use/sales tax, but none applies to weed given away.
Plants are growing in the sunshine, sick people are not afraid of running into law enforcement.
Indoor grows have to be up to code, but that is the same electrical and fire codes that apply to all fixed structures. There is no need certify a grow or log your weed sales.

I understand some jurisdictions don't do it the same way. Fixed tax per ounce, tight restrictions on plant#s and poundage, narrow list of eligible ailments, restricted licensing of growers; those are the things that really mess things up. But even then, the majority of patients are better off than under a scheme where weed is illegal - at the expense of the few who have excellent access.

Like, @tepictoton would be hit hard if there was a $50/oz tax, but it would be worse if he got carted off to jail.

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Just about any form of 'legal' is better than any form of 'illegal'.

You are wrong. The people in WA lost their grow rights. With the taxes involved, and shortages of medicine, I don't see that as a viable solution for disabled patients on fixed incomes. The prices I have heard about are exorbitant especially in CO. Taxing cannabis is not going to save the country, industrial hemp maybe. Until then, keep the medical laws (in OR) the way they are.

Last edited:

Egzoset

Banned
Euh...

Yet, i'm simply worried that wide acceptance of a "need" for such special caution only boosts fear of "the dangers of marihuana", etc...

215z

You are wrong. The people in WA lost their grow rights. With the taxes involved, and shortages of medicine, I don't see that as a viable solution for disabled patients on fixed incomes. The prices I have heard about are exorbitant especially in CO. Taxing cannabis is not going to save the country, industrial hemp maybe. Until then, keep the medical laws (in OR) the way they are.

WA is an odd duck because of the dual-structure, separate markets and rules for medical marijuana and recreational marijuana.

Nobody in WA "lost their grow rights". I-502 did not invalidate existing healthcare recommendations, and patients (or their caregivers) can continue to grow 15 plants each. It is true that WA patients who go to a recreational dispensary faces high prices, but prior to I-502 they could only get it from medical collectives or grow their own, so how are they really any worse off? The high prices on the recreational marijuana market is due to restricted supply, but medical collectives don't face those limits. The only people worse off under I-502 are former-black-market recreational suppliers who can't get a license to operate in the new regime.

With expanded access in CO, demand is outstripping supply. But is it fair to blame the situation on expanded access, or on insufficient supply? How are sick patients there, who previously had to buy meds on the black market or grow their own any worse off? Their limit of 6 per patient seems pretty small. But to say that these new regulation schemes is a step-backwards sounds wrong to me.

Both CO and WA assess sales tax at regular rates, but how is this any different from before (where unregulated participants EVADED sales taxes). I know its not consistent with existing rules to tax agriproducts and/or medicine, but at least it is not a stamp tax. So sales tax assessed only in proportion to the price paid by the end user. If you're getting free weed, you pay zero sales tax.

I don't know what the situation is like in OR, but hopefully they can expand access without hurting medical patients. I see the benefits of expanded access every day here in CA. With such light restrictions on supply, organic labtested ganja is $235/oz. We also don't have to play the cruel "is your ailment serious enough to warrant MJ?" game.

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Believe it or not Egzo, cannabis is a medicine and it can be abused just like any other. Why do people take opiates recreationaly? To get HIGH. If people take cannabis recreationaly all they are going to get from it is HIGH. When you are sick and you partake of the herb properly you feel well, not stoned.

With such light restrictions on supply, organic labtested ganja is $235/oz. We also don't have to play the cruel "is your ailment serious enough to warrant MJ?" game.
Well that is surely a great price. I however, get 3 POUNDS of free weed a year . . . :D And as far as the cruel ailment game goes, I have not one, not two, but three doctors approving and overseeing my MMJ usage. The "pot doc" that signs your rec has NOTHING on my wellness team which includes my genius GP, my rheumatologist, and my dermatologist. Cannabis is medicine, period.

Edit: Here is some of my medicine from last year . . .

Jungle.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
In Wa state we have the recreational cannabis stores and the medical cannabis. The medical cannabis is very loosely regulated. I received my MMJ certificate just this past couple of months so I hope it will continue long term. We will all wait to find out what the State decides.

If I wanted I could grow 15 plants. I'm not interested in that. I have 13 MMJ dispensaries within 10 miles of my house. I can shop at any one of them, I'm not limited at all where I can go. If I wanted I could buy at any dispensary in the state.

I have a lot of quality to choose from for the first time.

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
But at what price?

Edit: Never mind. I live in a different world. A "free weed" utopia I guess. I wish you all the best of luck :peace:

Last edited:
t-dub,
Reactions: 215z

215z

Sorry I should have phrased that better @t-dub. In some states, there is a list of ailments or conditions under which a MMJ recommendation can be made. Activists fight to make the list as expansive and flexible as possible.

In Hawaii for instance, recommendations can be made for cancer, glaucoma, aids, and HIV, chronic pain, nausea, or seizures. Got rheumatoid arthritis or IBL - you're fucked. Got migraines? Menstrual cramps? See why I don't like that approach?

California wanted to take that approach, but the Prop215 drafters decided that approach was flawed. Here, doctors and ophthalmologists can make a recommendation for any reason they see fit.

@t-dub makes a great point about price. If there was ever a way to measure how "free" a market is, it would be the market price of goods.

215z,
Reactions: t-dub

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Cool so there is more access but a price to pay as well. I'm trying to preserve my little free weed utopia here in OR . . . ;)

grokit

well-worn member
Gardens in the backyard for personal use.
Gardens in the front yard to freely share with the community.
All front yards should be available, including commercial.

No restrictions on anything that can be grown with a seed,
whether it be food, mj, opium poppies or coco leaves.

What the fuck is the problem?

Top Bottom