• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

The 2016 Presidential Candidates Thread

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
The Rollong Stones must have given Donald Trump permission to use their song as his theme song.

CarolKing,

CarolKing

Trump was playing the song Start Me Up tonight during his speech. I read in February that they (Rolling Stones) didn't give permission for any songs for Trump.

Last edited:
CarolKing,
Reactions: Derrrpp

grokit

well-worn member
Here's the guy from the young turks with jesse ventura, a couple of my favorite political actors. The whole conversation is great watching if you want to re-start it from the beginning, but for the benefit of this thread and shorter attention spans I have started this clip with just the few minutes at the end that most applies to the presidential race and its primaries. I am on jesse's/jerry garcia's side, but I get cenk's viewpoint too.

I especially liked the part regarding our founding father's views on political parties & banks :ko:

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I am somewhat amazed there is still a possibility to keep Donald from getting 1237, but it is pretty unlikely. It's pretty much time to start the general.

I am entertained that Cruz would think signing on Carley would help him...

TeeJay1952

Yeah, If I wanted to shore up my campaign I would get the largest failed unelected non office holder who spent the most money. But she is a woman and that is not playing the woman card.:brow:

TeeJay1952,

CarolKing

Would anybody really vote for Trump :evil:to just get cannabis legal?:disgust:

Trump says all kinds of bull. I don't think he would do half the things he's saying. He's given himself the parogative to change his mind the next day if he wants to. I don't think we can believe a thing he says except he would be one hell of a clusterfuck for America. He might even do worse things than he's promising now.

A scary thought having Trump as president.

Edit
Wish it weren't so: Bernie lays off a lot (hundreds) of campaign workers.

Last edited:

Gunky

It looks like Trump could get the nomination on the 1st ballot. It's crazy I know and he still averages only about a third of primary voters but look at the alternatives. Cruz is only marginally less nuts. The others have no juice at all. What a train wreck the republican party has become! I hope dems can capitalize on this moment of repub wackiness, get majorities in congress and pass a minimum wage increase, infrastructure repair programs, voting reform, campaign finance reform, cannabis legalization...

With the repubs self-destructing it is possible their endless obstruction will falter and we may actually have a spurt of progress in this country on numerous fronts.

grokit

well-worn member
Does anyone think that Bernie could be Hillary's VP pick?
Not a chance in hell. He'll be lucky to even get a speaking spot at the convention.

She wants a hawk, maybe somebody like joe leiberman but younger and less known :2c:

“...neither Donald J. Trump nor Senator Ted Cruz of Texas have demonstrated anywhere near the appetite for military engagement abroad that Clinton has. Hillary Clinton is the last true hawk left in the race.”

Jesse ventura could be a good pick for trump :tinfoil:

Eatrocks

Yup, how silly it all is Trump is a reasonable guy...not to say I'm voting for him or voting at all. His view is logical...people are going to want illegal drugs so why make other countries/enemies rich.

Hillary and the rest are career politics, they say whatever their donators want them to.

It's going to be Trump vs Hillary....wit her crazy eyes and lies.

Trump kinda represents the American dream...cept he was handed tens of millions of dollars from his dad an shit.

Eatrocks,

Chill Dude

Nail in the coffin for Cruz. The Cruz/Carly ticket is ultra conservative and mainstream America is significantly to the left left of their collective ideology.. Desperation? Trying to make a presence in the Trump dominated news cycle? Why would he choose a running mate who is the female version of him and is disliked just as much as him? Cruz seems pretty fucking stupid for a Princeton grad!

Too bad as I feel that beating Cruz would be very easy. Trump, on the other hand, is very unpredictable and his candidacy should be taken seriously. I know, on the surface it seems that Clinton would anylate Trump, but this is a very strange election cycle and anything is possible..

It probably doesn't matter thoug as it appears Trump has the nomination almost wrapped up...

CarolKing

There's more to Trump than his views on drug policy. It is pretty silly he shows us over and over again that he has no substance and no policy. Much of his ideas don't make sound sense.

Other countries are worried around the world that we are going to vote this nut case into office. On top of that he says hateful things and would really devide the country. I really am afraid of his momentum and it is scary the thought of him as president. I keep repeating myself.

Stranger things have happened. We allowed Florida to choose George W. Bush as president during their hanging chad fiasco. @Eatrocks you might not be old enough to remember that. History tells us what happened there.
Remember the war in Iraq that still is going on. It's consequences reverberated around the world. A lot of people have paid the price with their lives and their broken bodies and minds.

Edit
It really pissed me off that Trump made fun of the way that Kasich ate his food. Kasich has been the only one of the bunch of Republicans that has been presidential. He seems like fairly a nice guy. I don't believe in his policies though.

It's been the dreamers of this world that have made meaningful changes and have moved the world a head. Too bad Bernie doesn't gave a snowballs chance in hell.

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal

Do ya think it would be a good move or a bad one?
Probably not, and I don't think it would be a particularly good choice. But along similar lines I could see her choosing someone like Sherod Brown.

Personally I would prefer she went with someone younger like Julian Castro, but there is plenty of time to figure this out...

howie105

Do ya think it would be a good move or a bad one?

I suspect Clinton will go with the standard choice of shoring up some weakness in the voter base unless she is seen as far enough ahead to not need that prop up.

howie105,
Reactions: BD9

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Keep it up, Donald. The more you talk, the more Republicans stay home on election day...

Trump wants to take ‘the woman card’ off the table

04/28/16 12:49 PM

Following this week’s primaries, the 2016 presidential general election is, after more than a year of campaigning, coming into focus. It’s not yet a done deal in either party, but odds are, Donald Trump will face Hillary Clinton in the fall. What’s less clear is what Trump intends to do about it.

In recent months, the Republican frontrunner has prioritized insulting labels for his rivals, hoping to define them quickly in voters’ eyes. Jeb Bush was “low energy”; Ted Cruz is “Lying Ted”; Marco Rubio became “Little Marco”; and so on. Trump’s message about the Democratic frontrunner is still taking shape, but he’s clearly begun trying out some lines of attack.

“If Hillary Clinton were a man, I don’t think she’d get 5 percent of the vote,” Trump declared Tuesday night. The “only card she has is the woman’s card,” the Republican frontrunner added. On NBC this morning, Trump stuck to the line.

A day after his chief rival picked a woman as a running mate, Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump defended comments he made about Hillary Clinton playing “the woman card” saying the Democrat couldn’t even win a local election if she were a man.

“The primary thing that she has going is that she’s a woman and she’s playing that card like I have never seen anybody play it before,” he said Thursday on TODAY.

Co-host Savannah Guthrie noted, “But Mr. Trump, for you to say, ‘If she were not a woman, she would be getting 5 percent’ suggests the only thing she has going for her is that she’s a woman – not that she was a former senator, a former Secretary of State and a lawyer. Do you understand why people find that to be a kind of demeaning comment?”

Trump was unfazed. “No, I find it to be a true comment,” he replied. “I think the only thing she’s got going is the fact that she’s a woman.”

Trump added, “Nobody respects women more than I do. And I wasn’t playing the woman’s card; it’s true she is playing the woman’s card. Everything she says is about the woman’s card.”

If there’s a smart political strategy lurking somewhere in all of this nonsense, it’s hiding well.
It’s possible that Trump recognizes the existing “gender gap” between the parties, and hopes to take steps now to mitigate the potency of the issue in the fall, when he’ll probably be taking on the first-ever woman nominee of a major party. But what he doesn’t seem to understand is that Americans already know Clinton is a woman, and trying to take this “card” off the table by questioning her qualifications raises questions about his judgment, not her’s.

Part of the problem, of course, is that the underlying claim itself is difficult to take seriously. I haven’t the foggiest idea what Trump thinks the “woman’s card” is, exactly, but the assertion that Hillary Clinton has nothing going for aside from her gender is ridiculous. Love her or hate her, Clinton is an accomplished public official with an extensive record of public service. Indeed, she’d be the first president in 150 years to have won a statewide election and served as a cabinet secretary before taking office.

For Trump to look at Clinton’s background and conclude “the only thing she’s got going is the fact that she’s a woman” says far more about Trump than Clinton.

But the closer one looks, the more insulting his rhetoric becomes. MSNBC’s Irin Carmon explained that Trump has “deftly accomplished something new: He wove his usual boorish misogyny into his preexisting grand theory of politics – that is, the politics of resentment.”

Until now, Trump’s attitude towards women has fallen into a very simple Madonna-whore framework. He puts women on a pedestal: He says he “cherishes” women and talks about all the things he is going to do for them, with all the grandiose noblesse oblige implied in that phrasing. He also calls them bimbos, once told a woman to drop to her knees in a quasi-professional setting, and makes a habit of publicly evaluating them on the basis of their sexual attractiveness to Donald Trump.

By accusing Clinton of profiting off her gender, Trump has now placed being a woman on his pre-existing list of unfair advantages accrued to people who don’t deserve them. Thanks to political correctness, the thinking goes, what was once perhaps a liability is now a free pass that comes at the expense of people more deserving of free passes – people like Trump voters.

At various points, Trump has taken steps to alienate Latinos, African Americans, veterans, people with disabilities, and as we’re reminded this week, women.

Given that white men do not represent a majority of the American electorate, it’s a curious electoral strategy for a major-party presidential candidate.

CarolKing

There is so much history with Trump denigrating women in print as well as documented video. The Democrats are laying in wait until the time is right. Give Trump enough rope and he will hang himself with it. He will show America the fool that he is.

Edit
Ridiculous that Cruz even picked a running mate.

I can't see Bernie as Hillary's running mate.

Last edited:

grokit

well-worn member
Yet he "will likely wind up winning the most primary votes of any GOP presidential candidate in modern history". http://nypost.com/2016/04/27/donald-trump-could-amass-most-primary-votes-in-gop-history/

also/edit:
Donald Trump only needs to win 43% of the remaining delegates to secure the GOP nomination

"Clinton leads among younger voters but loses to Trump among those 40 and over. While Clinton has sizable leads over Trump among black and other minority voters, these voters are also more likely than whites to say they will stay home or vote for someone else. Trump leads among white voters."

:shrug:

Last edited:

howie105

From the start its been obvious that Trump is selling his label and like any marketing effort the presentation has to be fluid enough to meet market and audience demands. The repeated outrage of the press is just getting repetitive, but then they are marketing to their audience too.

CarolKing

The Republicans are starting to stand behind Trump. They may not like it. Do they have a choice, probably not. They realize there won't be a contested convention for the Republicans. Too bad it would have been entertaining.

:lol:Bobby Knight endorsing Trump saying he would be great like Truman. He wouldnt be afraid to drop the bomb. Trump stood there beaming with pride.
Why would Trump want to be endorsed by Bobby Knight? A washed up, alcoholic coach with anger problems and probably other issues too.

Edit
I knew we would start hearing some horrendous things that Trump has said about women. The latest was "her boob job looks terrible. It looks like two light bulbs coming out of a body" referring to a pageant that he was sponsoring. I'm sure better stuff will start to surface.

Last edited:

howie105

The Republicans are starting to stand behind Trump. They may not like it. Do they have a choice, probably not. They realize there won't be a contested convention for the Republicans. Too bad it would have been entertaining.

:lol:Bobby Knight endorsing Trump saying he would be great like Truman. He wouldnt be afraid to drop the bomb. Trump stood there beaming with pride.
Why would Trump want to be endorsed by Bobby Knight? A washed up, alcoholic coach with anger problems and probably other issues too.

There is a big difference between the party shot callers and the rank and file. As much as the RNC hates Trump they hate their loss of control even more. Come to think about it, that loss of control may be the best thing to come out of their primary so far.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

Because Bobby is well liked in Indiana and that primary is coming up.

I continue to believe that Trump will win the votes he needs for the primary and the republicans will be faced with ..... pulling the rug out from under him and destroying the republican party OR allow him to represent them and lose the election. WIN-WIN!!!!

Having said all that.....is it possible that America will value the entertainer more than the serious politician and actually elect this putz?

Top Bottom