The 2016 Presidential Candidates Thread

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Because you have stated your opinion as fact and you can't support it. Which means the rest of you position based on the unsupported opinion is suspect too. Your falling back to you can't prove me wrong doesn’t address peoples problem of you presenting your opinion as fact, surly you can see that.
Everything I say in here that doesn't include a source or quote is my opinion. Duh.

cybrguy,

howie105

That would be true if talking about Al Qaeda, but the Taliban is effectively the governing force of Afghanistan, and as such we need to treat them as a nation. Not for the sake of morals or ethics, but for the sake of not getting involved in a war which has no end in sight.

Maybe we should put the war on the table when discussing presidential candidates? The winner will be the commander and chief and in charge of policy or at least should be.
But they are a catalyst for triggers being pulled.

My response was to your quote of "After due consultation an official declaration of war with all the oversight and commitment that decoration requires. Afterward the nation can bury the dead and move on."

And my point was that we are not fighting a nation but a global ideology so I don't see how your recommendation as stated above could possibly work in our fight against terrorism.

My point is if the country is committed to a military resolution (which I am not) then it needs to be one that has a chance ofworking and has the maximum amount of public support. As to the question of killing an ideology the thousand year reich fell, the great roman empire collapsed and the soviet union imploded so yes ideologies do go away or become irrelevant all the time. How to deal with the current struggle in a military or diplomatic sense, it is hard for me to tell because as usual I don't think we are being shown all the pieces so the discussion is at best very general in nature.

There ya go. That's a fact. :)

But its not your facts we are still waiting for your proof of you claim. When are you going to show that you spoke the truth instead of masking up facts to support you position?

But its noit yuour facts we are still waiting for your proff.
Everything I say in here that doesn't include a source or quote is my opinion. Duh.

When you state something as fact and it isn't then you are a, what?

Mod note: Three posts merged.

Last edited by a moderator:
howie105,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I never stated that 80% of the President's job is domestic is a fact, I stated my opinion, my belief. And my opinion or belief is just as valid as yours is. Sorry if you feel differently.

cybrguy,

CuckFumbustion

Lo and Behold! The transformative power of Vapor.
We have the proverbial tiger by the tail situation with involvement in ISIS and ISIL and what areas they are trying to occupy. It is a balancing act being diplomatic to ethnic and tribal leaders while fighting self proclaimed terrorists and constantly separating, redefining and rehashing the two. :worms:
We keep making mistakes that put weapons in the hands of these terrorists. :bang: While our own soldiers get second rate equipment to fight and train with. Then to try to recruit people to fight on their own land. I do understand that a lot of the stronger people of the population who would join this fight have been has been systematically removed over time by the dictator of the time. Trying to get strong willed recruits is even more arduous.

Whomever becomes the new president will have a chance to change policy, including foreign policy. Terror groups and other nations will respond to that and will test us with more invasive tactics. They need us as a bogeyman, we need to undermine that early. It has too much influence on our internal affairs to my liking. Which is why we need to return to the matters at home. Trump has tapped into that frustration, but has no solution to offer. We will be tested, to put it lightly. Hillary will already have a plan A. B and C, then we will find out about some controversy surrounding it a few years later. What is Snowden up to these days?

CuckFumbustion,

lwien

As to the question of killing an ideology the thousand year reich fell, the great roman empire collapsed and the soviet union imploded...

You're still talking about specific geographical areas. The ideology of an anti-Western Islamic Jihad is spread out world-wide therefore, one can't wage a military war, no matter how committed we would be in such a war, against that kind of ideology. Also, taking out heads of organization by drones means diddilly squat. What was the net gain of taking out Bin Laden?

One other thing. I never implied that some ideologies eventually fade away for many of them have.

lwien,

HellsWindStaff

Dharma Initiate
It's interesting listening to some of these Trump supporters, the regular people. Some of them really are lacking in IQ points and don't have a clue about what's going on and the actual issues.
Those are the folks Trump has been counting on. There's a lot of stupid people in America, that's what worries me.

Can you elaborate what the "actual issues" are? Open discussion for anyone FYI, would be interested in hearing people's takes.

Just looking for perspective. I know quite a few people who are certainly not lacking in the IQ department, engineers, surgeons, doctors, lawyers, among others, and they all voted for Trump in the PA primary last week. I know you said "some" and not "all" but I can't help but feel you are cheapening Trump supporters, sorry if that's not the case.

Just for perspective:

"It's interesting listening some of these Clinton supporters, the regular people. Some of them are really lacking in IQ points and don't have a clue what's going on and the actual issues. These are the folks Clinton is counting on. There's a lot of stupid people in America, that's what worries me."

You can see how it comes across? Not exactly great. By saying he's counting on stupid voters, that implies that the voters are, infact, stupid.

And we all know there are stupid voters in the world! Some of them, are voting Clinton and Bernie too. Are they "counting" on the same stupid voters to win? Or are Clinton and Bernie supporters pariahs gifted with the intelligence the rest of us lack?

Hope this makes sense....can't say I was deeply offended by your post, but I did find it interesting and mildly dismissive/insulting as someone who tends to lean a bit more right (no offense taken!) :)

HellsWindStaff,

lwien

I know quite a few people who are certainly not lacking in the IQ department, engineers, surgeons, doctors, lawyers, among others, and they all voted for Trump in the PA primary last week.

You forgot Indian Chiefs. :brow:

But my question would be why would anyone want a guy like that to be a spokesman for our country, considering that he acts like a whining five year-old spoiled brat.

Last edited:

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
WASHINGTON — It was in Nevada, just about month ago, when Donald Trump proclaimed his affection for the uneducated.

“We won with young. We won with old. We won with highly educated. We won with poorly educated. I love the poorly educated,” the Republican presidential front-runner boasted after coasting to a decisive victory in the state’s caucuses.

He should love them.

Trump overwhelmingly leads his rivals for support among the less educated, and draws more modest backing from college graduates and those with postgraduate study, according to exit polls conducted for the Associated Press and television networks by Edison Research.

In an analysis of voters by education in states where exit or entrance polling is available, nearly half of those with high school diplomas or less schooling said they supported the billionaire. Just over 40 percent of those with some college study favored him. Texas Sen. Ted Cruz captured the next best showing among the two groups, with 27 and 28 percent, respectively.

Do we really want a president who speaks before he thinks. I have a whole list of absolutely stupid things that Trump has said. If a person really thinks Trump would make a good president I question their reasoning and their judgement. Maybe not all lacking in IQ points but a lot.

Really stupid stuff Trump has said. Do we want a president that says stupid stuff?
@HellsWindStaff
Just recently, A woman should be penalized if she gets an abortion, if abortions become illegal. Three hours later he said doctors should be penalized instead.

Someone called my office and said Obamas birth certificate is a fraud.

It doesn't matter what the media writes as long as I have a beautiful piece of ass on my arm.

I will build a wall and nobody can build a wall like I can. Mexico will pay for it.

The beauty of me is I'm very rich.

If Ivanka wasnt my daughter I'd probably be dating her.

The point is you can't get too greedy.

My IQ is one of the highest and you know it. Please don't feel so stupid.

More countries should have nuclear capability.

It just goes on and on. I'm sorry if I offended anyone if you are voting for Trump.

Edit
You've got diehard Republicans that will vote for whoever the nominee is. If Trump was the democratic choice, I wouldn't vote.

Last edited:

howie105

You're still talking about specific geographical areas. The ideology of an anti-Western Islamic Jihad is spread out world-wide therefore, one can't wage a military war, no matter how committed we would be in such a war, against that kind of ideology. Also, taking out heads of organization by drones means diddilly squat. What was the net gain of taking out Bin Laden?

One other thing. I never implied that some ideologies eventually fade away for many of them have.

I agree that a hammer and nail approach is not the best option but it seems to be the one our government is wed to. So if it is they have to make the best of it and I don't think the military approach as it is now is producing results so its time for a change. Assassination, subversion, conversion, misdirection as well as direct engagement are all part of the military tool box but either they aren’t using them or not using them well enough to succeed. As to killing an ideology you don't need to kill it you just need to disrupt it enough to make it ineffective. However I don't think a military only approach is working and there needs to be a change in approach.

CuckFumbustion

I'm guilty of bashing Trump supporters. Big time. I'm aware some people will vote the Republican brand regardless of the candidate. Even though both parties should be discarded after this election. What a farce and all the surreptitiousness needed to even run an election.

Also aware of IQ bashing from Dems on local folks for decades. Some pundits make cash off repeating that talking point.

As for businessmen and professional people who are Trump supporters. Well as one source of blame, some get their new from the Television and radio. AKA The Hyperbole chamber. Most get their news from one trough, seemingly never having an unauthorized thought in their entire lives. That doesn't mean they are 'stupid'. I was taught to be critical of the news since H.S. Read the news, don't passively watch the news. Where do they source from? But that is my familiarity. Plus I take the time to absorb that, Read several different articles and take on the subject and sift out the editorial and subjective points in the article. Not everybody is willing to or discerns enough to do that. Turn on the TV and listen to the daily outrage. Or read the local newspaper and read only the eye grabbing article.

And some people are genuinely perplexed as to why and how this came to be? I never ever thought I would never consider Clinton as a choice until Trump and Anti MJ Christie became this years choice. If Trump kicked Christie to the curb, that wouldn't be enough to get me to switch. I do try to sift out any kernel of policy or plan out of his speeches and interviews. He's evasive seemingly every time. Plus everybody in his group is shady or aggressive. Look closely at that and tell me he's going to make America great again. :mental:

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Trump’s most impressive boast is a brazen lie
05/02/16 08:00 AM

Every presidential candidate is going to boast about all of the many reasons he or she deserves voters’ support. It’s how the process works: White House hopefuls, without exception, are going to present themselves as the best possible person for one of the world’s most important jobs.

And with that in mind, Donald Trump, perhaps more than most, seems to take great pride in singing his own praises, celebrating his wealth, judgment, and professed wisdom in ways that have evidently won over much of the Republican Party’s base. Some of these boasts have even impressed a handful of political pundits.

Last week, for example, Patrick Smith, Salon’s foreign affairs columnist, argued that Trump’s views on foreign policy deserve to be taken seriously because the Republican frontrunner opposed the war in Iraq – unlike a certain Democratic candidate.

The New York Times’ Maureen Dowd devoted much of latest column, published yesterday, to a related point.

The prime example of commander-in-chief judgment Trump offers is the fact that, like [President Obama], he thought the invasion of Iraq was a stupid idea. […]

You can actually envision a foreign policy debate between Trump and [Hillary Clinton] that sounds oddly like the one Obama and Clinton had in 2008, with Trump playing Obama, preening about his good judgment on Iraq….

It’s easy to imagine Trump and his campaign team celebrating pieces like these. It’s equally easy to expect a series of related arguments in the coming months from Clinton detractors looking for an excuse to support the GOP’s nativist demagogue.

There is, however, a rather important problem with the entire argument: it’s based on a fairly obvious lie.

Trump’s claim is that he, relying solely on his extraordinary instincts and unrivaled prognostication skills, recognized that the war in Iraq would be a disaster from the outset.

The political establishment at the time lacked Trump’s vision, but if insiders had only listened to him, a catastrophic mistake could have been avoided.

Last fall, Trump went so far as to say, in multiple interviews, that he was so outspoken in his condemnations of the U.S. invasion plans in 2003 that officials from the Bush/Cheney White House actually reached out to him, urging him to tone down his criticism before he started turning Americans against the coming conflict.

These are all important assertions in the 2016 race, which may impress Clinton’s critics, but which aren’t even remotely true. Not to put too fine a point on this, but Trump is brazenly, shamelessly lying. There is literally no evidence to substantiate any of his claims, and extensive evidence that proves the opposite.

On Sept. 11, 2002, for example, Howard Stern asked Trump, “Are you for invading Iraq?” Trump replied, “Yeah, I guess so.”

One can certainly characterize this as lukewarm support for the disastrous war, but it’s hardly a position that can fairly be described as opposition. And for a New York Times columnist to tell readers that Trump “thought the invasion of Iraq was a stupid idea” is both wrong and bizarre. (As of this morning, Dowd’s error has not yet generated a correction.)
In fairness, Trump eventually criticized the war in Iraq, but only well after the Bush/Cheney policy took a devastating turn for the worse and it became painfully obvious to everyone that the U.S. invasion had been a terrible mistake. But by the time Trump acknowledged this, he was only repeating observations that had already dawned on much of the country.
The larger dynamic to keep in mind is that some in the political world have not yet come to terms with Trump’s unique style of campaigning: (1) manufacture self-aggrandizing boast; (2) repeat said boast regularly; (3) wait for unsuspecting media professionals to accept boast at face value; (4) repeat.

It’s a shame some haven’t noticed the pattern sooner, failing to recognize the importance of scrutinizing Trump’s demonstrably ridiculous claims, but it’s not too late. The likely Republican nominee will continue to make outrageous boasts with no basis in fact, counting on journalists to simply give him the benefit of the doubt, between now and Election Day. For those who’ve been fooled by Trump’s falsehoods, now would be an excellent time to re-adjust their b.s. detectors accordingly.

howie105

WASHINGTON — It was in Nevada, just about month ago, when Donald Trump proclaimed his affection for the uneducated.

“We won with young. We won with old. We won with highly educated. We won with poorly educated. I love the poorly educated,” the Republican presidential front-runner boasted after coasting to a decisive victory in the state’s caucuses.

He should love them.

Trump overwhelmingly leads his rivals for support among the less educated, and draws more modest backing from college graduates and those with postgraduate study, according to exit polls conducted for the Associated Press and television networks by Edison Research.

In an analysis of voters by education in states where exit or entrance polling is available, nearly half of those with high school diplomas or less schooling said they supported the billionaire. Just over 40 percent of those with some college study favored him. Texas Sen. Ted Cruz captured the next best showing among the two groups, with 27 and 28 percent, respectively.

Do we really want a president who speaks before he thinks. I have a whole list of absolutely stupid things that Trump has said. If a person really thinks Trump would make a good president I question their reasoning and their judgement. Maybe not all lacking in IQ points but a lot.

Really stupid stuff Trump has said. Do we want a president that says stupid stuff?
@HellsWindStaff
Just recently, A woman should be penalized if abortions become illegal. Three hours later he said doctors should be penalized instead.

It doesn't matter what the media writes as long as I have a beautiful piece of ass on my arm.

I will build a wall and nobody can build a wall like I can. Mexico will pay for it.

It just goes on and on. I'm sorry if I offended anyone if you are voting for Trump.

Edit
You've got diehard Republicans that will vote for whoever the nominee is. If Trump was the democratic choice, I wouldn't vote.

It should cone down to majority rule but we are so divided and entrenched that working together has turned into gridlock. So fuck the agenda driven on the right and the left.

howie105,
Reactions: BD9

CuckFumbustion

Edit
You had your chance. He was a Democrat. :lol:
He sure isn't a conservative. But he isn't a Neo-con? Isolationist? Where is he On the issues? Just what is a Republican again? Not an angry orange face, I hope. I think we are about to hit the reset on both after the election.
I agree that a hammer and nail approach is not the best option but it seems to be the one our government is wed to. So if it is they have to make the best of it and I don't think the military approach as it is now is producing results so its time for a change. Assassination, subversion, conversion, misdirection as well as direct engagement are all part of the military tool box but either they aren’t using them or not using them well enough to succeed. As to killing an ideology you don't need to kill it you just need to disrupt it enough to make it ineffective. However I don't think a military only approach is working and there needs to be a change in approach.
Took kit is an apt description. When you fight a 'war' where people on the ground are going through their day, You can't carpet bomb or use a large arsenal. The military on the ground have to aid and listen to civilians and make quick decisions much like a police officer has to avoid tensions in that region. Plus train the locals. Forget the concept of the distant foot soldier who can exploit the region while in territory.

One reason why Obama is ending out special forces to train the locals and not committing troops in given situations.

I'm still pissed way back when the military discharged 1000's of translators from their service for being homosexual during the 'don't ask don't tell years'.:cuss: WTF! We need as many translators we can get our hands on.

Female US combat fighters add a wrinkle in 'ahem' societies that can't handle women of power. Like Trump, ZING. We need to shore up the image of the female in combat or give in to the sensitivities of the region or some balance.

CuckFumbustion,
Reactions: BD9

HellsWindStaff

Dharma Initiate
@HellsWindStaff
Just recently, A woman should be penalized if abortions become illegal. Three hours later he said doctors should be penalized instead.

You don't need to apologize. Just wanted to air my .02 on it.

Still would like to know the "actual issues" that the Trump supporters aren't familiar with. I have an amusing story (at least from my perspective) , but I'd like to have the question out there a bit more.

Neither here or there, but if we're gonna talk about character, I find it ironic that Clinton being for women equality and rights so much........when she's been married to one of the biggest sexist/misogynistic presidents in recent memory. Plus the sheer amount of lies she's been caught in. Actions speak louder.

Personally.....I think mostly every Donald Trump comment is blown out of proportion by the media/lefts. I already mentioned how he said that the women should be penalized, IF abortion was illegal. They would be breaking the law. All he is saying is follow the law. The media twists it.

"The beauty of him, is I'm very rich"? I don't even know where this quote is from, but I would be willing to bet a lot of money.... that the context was something along the lines of how he can't be bought out because he is already very rich.

I agree that people need to seek out sources from places other than the TV and radio, and should read both sides and critically think to form their own opinion.

Here are two articles I briefly found, and also address some interesting points:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/03/5-myths-about-trump-supporters-220158

http://www.economist.com/blogs/grap...t-14?fsrc=scn/tw/te/bl/ed/donaldtrumpssupport

Specifically this bit:

"Take education: on average, voters with a high-school education or less have made up 16% of the Republican electorate overall and a fifth of Mr Trump’s voting base; but college graduates and postgraduates account for 43% of his support. Looking at income: voters earning under $50,000 have made up 29% of the electorate and 32% of Mr Trump’s support. Those earning over $100,000 have accounted for 37% of the electorate and 34% of his base. In Illinois, for example, he took 46% of the vote among low earners, but they made up only a quarter of the electorate, whereas he attracted 39% of the highest earners, who made up two-fifths of that primary's voters. "

HellsWindStaff,

CuckFumbustion

CuckFumbustion,

CarolKing

Deciding who to vote for: We weigh our options and vote who aligns with your belief and ideas. I was around during the Bill Clinton era of extra marital affairs, that's between he and his wife. If she chose to stay with her husband I don't think that is my business.

We are voting for Hillary for prez not Bill. I don't even want to hear about all the Monica Lewinsky stuff. I am so past that. I know that Trump will continue to talk about that. Hillary needs to ignore and not address it.

What I never understand that a lot of the poor and uneducated people in the south are republicans. It's the democrats that have all the ideas of funding all the programs for people that are low income such as free breakfast for their children at school and the free lunch program. What about Obamacare? That helps folks that have no money get medical insurance for nothing. There were Republican Governors that wouldn't take the money from the Feds for medical insurance for their citizens of their state. People still are dieing from diseases that they could be treated for. It's a fucking crime.

It's Democrat or Republican for president or just stay home and don't vote.

Edit
I'm surprised that the evangelical Republicans don't think of Trump as the anti Christ. :evil: That could be Cruz's next scheme.:cuss:

Last edited:

BD9

I just got home from a protest. We were across the street from where trump spoke in South Bend, IN and it was pretty intense. My wife was frightened and thought we should leave so we did.

The worst and most telling thing that happened was when a vehicle drove by flying a huge confederate flag calling us communists, fags and sinners. I try not to be a 'shout you down' kind of guy. I'll listen to your point of view and say why I disagree and we discuss those things in a civil manner or just go our separate ways. But these fucking trump supporters bring out the worst in me and I'm ashamed of myself.
This violent, homophobic, and xenophobic behavior seems to be indicative of trump supporters.

trump has no substance. No policies. "So mr. trump, what's your foreign policy going to be like?". trump, "Do you know how smart I am?". "Do you know who I am?". "How good looking am I?". WTF?!
He's where he is because his father was rich and made ton of money that trump inherited.

Last edited:

lwien

I'm "almost" convinced that the anger and angst of blue collar workers that's created by unemployment and their feeling that their government doesn't work for them, that the press talks about in regards to Trump supporters has nothing to do with those things but rather the anger and angst that we actually elected and re-elected a black president

Key word here is "almost". I'm not quite convinced of that but I'm getting close.

Last edited:

CarolKing

Curious the Tea Party group was formed about the same time that we were trying to vote for a black president. I think you may be on to something @lwien. I think many of us have been thinking that the racists in America couldn't believe that our country would have the nerve to elect a black man as a president. They have felt left out over the last 7 1/2 years and are trying to make up for it now.

lwien

Curious the Tea Party group was formed about the same time that we were trying to vote for a black president. I think you may be on to something @lwien. I think many of us have been thinking that the racists in America couldn't believe that our country would have the nerve to elect a black man as a president. They have felt left out over the last 7 1/2 years and are trying to make up for it now.

Yup......that along with feeling threatened that their white race is in the process of becoming a minority.
These kinds of changes threatens the status quo and that scares the shit of a lot of people, especially Conservatives whose DNA screams "I HATE change. Take us back to the way it was before when being white meant something, when being black meant just the opposite, when hispanics were isolated to picking our crops, when Asians just did our laundry, when marijuana was a dangerous drug and when being gay was a perversion"

Last edited:
Top Bottom