Terpenes, Terpernoids, and Cannabis

Bluesman

Good read. Terpenoids = Aroma and Flavor. That's why I vape. Only vaporizing can reveal the full range of subtle flavors that cannabis has. I vape for the flavor...the buzz is secondary, a welcome bonus.

Bluesman,

Glairige

Bluesman said:
I vape for the flavor...the buzz is secondary, a welcome bonus.

I don't think I'd go quite that far, but certainly if I have to choose between combustion and vaporization, I'd take vaping every day of the week and twice on sunday. On some vapes, I feel like I'm getting a mouth-ful of flowers (depending on the strain of course). I love the flavor and because of that, I am now almost incapable of combusting.

Glairige,

Bluesman

Glairige said:
Bluesman said:
I vape for the flavor...the buzz is secondary, a welcome bonus.

I don't think I'd go quite that far, but certainly if I have to choose between combustion and vaporization, I'd take vaping every day of the week and twice on sunday. On some vapes, I feel like I'm getting a mouth-ful of flowers (depending on the strain of course). I love the flavor and because of that, I am now almost incapable of combusting.

Yea, I suppose I got a bit carried away there. I vape for buzz of course, but flavor is hugely important to me. When I combust, which is rare these days, I'm reminded of how bad combusted herb tastes compared to vaporiized herb. Even hash is so much more flavorful vaporized than combusted. There's no going back for me.

Bluesman,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
One thing I have noticed is that a lot of the "berry" strains taste like SOAP in my HerbalAire. Shishkaberry was fine and of course "Blue Dream" is my main squeeze right now, so it can be done. I had a sativa recently called "Lemon Joy". The flavor profile on this stuff was awesome, limonene, minty, sage and earthy . . . it would have been a crime to combust it.

t-dub

t-dub,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
The aroma oils in cannabis are very psychoactive when the right inhibition occurs, this is why they use to say skunk is very bad for your brain.. :) (Nowadays bad went good).
Believe it or not there are many psychoactive aroma oils.. like nutmeg oil,elemi oil,sweet basil oil,clary sage oil,mace oil,cinnamon leaf,cinnamon bark oil,parsley,dill,safrass.... and many more.. Some of them are psychoactive on their own,some of them need inhibition with help of camomile and cinnamon but they are all psychoactive and some even are base for very and bad for your health drugs like MDMA and shit.. Funny thing is that most these oil are not harmful in their raw form... but in the end product they are being impurified with chemical reactives and left overs..
Anyway what i am trying to say is that aromatherapy is slightly psychoactive when you inhale it (cause you take a low dose) and heavy if ingested orally with the proper inhibition.. IMO The more stinky a strain is the more rich on aroma oils so it is more psychoactive.. IME usually sativas are stinkier than pure indicas somekind sharper on the smell and more psychoative.. I think hybrids have more aroma oils because they have the genes from both indica/sativa which can possibly result in brighter aroma spectrum.

Abysmal Vapor,

sundaddy

I don't know how someone could claim to be a connoisseur, but yet still smoke. The full spectrum can only be appreciated with vaporization.

sundaddy,

Nosferatu

sundaddy said:
I don't know how someone could claim to be a connoisseur, but yet still smoke. The full spectrum can only be appreciated with vaporization.

Whoah, I respectfully think that is very untrue. Unless you vape at 428F it is YOU that will be missing the full spectrum of terpenes, flavinoids, and Phytocannabinoids in the strain. Yes the flavor of the smoke may cover up most of the terpenes flavors, but it certainly doesn't mean you aren't still getting them. And if you happen to be a low temp only vaporist, it is certain you are not getting the full spectrum of the 85 cannabinoids, plus many terpenes, and antioxidants. Now that is fine, and maybe even better in your opinion, but it all comes down to risk/reward ratio, AKA cannabinoids/byproducts ratio. Most people smoke because it still has a pretty damn good ratio even though it creates some mild byproducts. You can certainly get the full synergy of the plant through smoking, and through vaping at high enough temps, but no, scientifically, you cannot get the full synergy only vaping at 375F or so. I smoked yesterday because I was in the mountain with some girls, I guess I'm not a connoisseur anymore.. ;)

Nosferatu,
Reactions: ili

sundaddy

I don't know what you're talking about, myrcene has a boiling point of 330, carophyllene @ 246, limonene @ 350, apigenin@ 352, cannflavin A @ 359, ?-sitosterol@ 273, and even though the terpineols boil @ 408-425, that's fine with me because I get such a robust punch of flavor from the others.
Trying to taste those subtleties through smoke is just crazy in my opinion. I stand by my original post. I don't want to have my beautiful vapor muddied with smoke. And smoke has more than "mild" byproducts to be worried about, such as benzopyrene, carbon monoxide, and non-cyclic hydrocarbons. - Fuck Combustion

sundaddy,

Nosferatu

I was just saying, its not like you can't get the full symbiotic effect from smoking as well.

Nosferatu,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
For me its about the experience as well. Just like I love grinding my coffee beans before I brew it, I like grinding my buds right before I vape them.

Its about the entire experience - sight, smell, taste (and of course buzz - sometimes needed more than others) PLUS I get to get more out of my ABV in my medibles :D Let me see you do that with your ashes :brow:

AGBeer,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Doesn't the combustion process destroy 50% of the compounds we are seeking to appreciate? For me, someone convinced me to take a pull on a pipe a few months ago, it was awful. Wont do it again. Not putting down anyone who does.

t-dub

t-dub,

Mathair Naduir

Cannabis And Vapor Connoisseur
t-dub said:
Doesn't the combustion process destroy 50% of the compounds we are seeking to appreciate? For me, someone convinced me to take a pull on a pipe a few months ago, it was awful. Wont do it again. Not putting down anyone who does.

t-dub

Perhaps even more than 50%! I know how you feel, man. We are all spoiled babies with our vaporizers and nice water filtration tools.

By the way, I basically only vape indica's as well, t-dub. Great minds vape alike!

Mathair Naduir,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
I like your swagger amigo! Yes I would say I qualify as "spoiled" for sure! :p

t-dub,

sundaddy

So spoiled that I haven't smoked in 3 years. When I travel it's edibles. I just don't have any desire to inhale anything that taste like a campfire. I almost get nausea from smelling used pipes.

sundaddy,

bazzles

I'm not sure if its placebo or not but I put Orange oil on before vaping and got the smell dispersed. Then after relaxing sober for a bit I vaped a pack like I normally would, same stuff as I had the day before and although I didn't weigh it I it appeared about the same size pack as I had been using, same amount of hits. Truthfully I feel much more vaked than normal, I believe the main component of Orange essential oil is d-Limonene. Try it for yourselves and see.

bazzles,

Bluntcrush

Director of Vapor Research Labs™
Very interesting article and also interesting the connection between the Myrcinol and the perfume industry. I definitely respond to the smells from cannabis types, and in general smell is one of the most powerful senses! I am really into taking steams with different essential oils. It feels great! I am anxious to try the experiment with the orange oil. It sounds amazing! :p My favorite so far has been sweet basil, but I always love the smell of oranges. I could imagine swooning from sensory pleasure!!!

It is so cool the more I explore this forum the more interesting stuff I find! Thanks everyone!
:peace:

Bluntcrush,
Top Bottom