Tafée Bowle

staircase slight of hand

Should we be removing the rectangular gasket before cleaning the stem? It doesn’t seem like a big deal for a short iso soak (I’ve only cleaned mine once, and it was a quick ten minute process with a little help from q-tips), but since the manual mentions just leaving it soaking for 12 hours (!!!) it seems like it might be best to? I can’t imagine that the gasket wouldn’t be directly exposed to whatever you soak the stem in.

kiddvudu2

Should we be removing the rectangular gasket before cleaning the stem? It doesn’t seem like a big deal for a short iso soak (I’ve only cleaned mine once, and it was a quick ten minute process with a little help from q-tips), but since the manual mentions just leaving it soaking for 12 hours (!!!) it seems like it might be best to? I can’t imagine that the gasket wouldn’t be directly exposed to whatever you soak the stem in.
I would recommend removing it since it's very easy to do and provides a better clean to remove all those odors. But, I'll admit, I regularly forget to pull the orings off the pots when I drop them into ISO, and they don't seem too worse for the wear yet. I've soaked the 2 that I have in normal rotation for over night a couple of times even.... They look to be the same construction as the rectangle ones, so you're probably ok for some short soaks. But, you may have residual odor depending on how dirty it is when you clean.

Peese!

Last edited:

ChooChooCharlie

@staircase slight of hand - I'm guessing you just found the rationale for the replacement gaskets included. Perhaps after many full stem iso soaks, they will degrade

George from vapefiend asked Tafée about the stem and cleaning. Bruno told George that he does not recommend regular disassembly of stem, just complete stem soaks. When asked about the tiny screw on base plate, apparently they had supply issues sourcing 1.5 hex keys, and that's why they were not included

justcametomind

Today I started to cover the air inlet on the bottom, same as it was a bong kick hole.
PRO
It can restrict the airflow big time and flavor (and draw restriction) it reminds me a lot (Teflon core) MiniVAP. It seems to affect the air/vapor ratio, increasing the vapor % if my studies are correct.
It makes the vaporizer quieter when operating (when everyone else is sleeping).
CONS
hotspots are guaranteed with a full pot.

pbs education GIF

Last edited:

Mr. Me2

Mine arrived too. Already charged it and speed read the full manual. And took my first test drive.

My first impression? I think I’m in love. For me, the design is great. Super clean. Almost perfect.

I just filled the pod with a pinch, by hand. I VERY lightly tamped. Does anybody tamp? And I filled it about 3/4. Started at 2. I LOVE the super fast heat up.

I didn’t seem to get a huge cloud so I bumped it to 3. Seemed a little harsh but got that huge cloud. I went back to 2 and think I’ll be spending most of my time in the lower temps. I honestly have no idea about taste because I have no sense of taste right now.

So I need advice on 2 things; draw speed and how to switch to automatic mode. Help please?

Also, I’m curious about how full people fill their pods and how many pulls they get per load.

All for science...

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Mine arrived too. Already charged it and speed read the full manual. And took my first test drive.

My first impression? I think I’m in love. For me, the design is great. Super clean. Almost perfect.

I just filled the pod with a pinch, by hand. I VERY lightly tamped. Does anybody tamp? And I filled it about 3/4. Started at 2. I LOVE the super fast heat up.

I didn’t seem to get a huge cloud so I bumped it to 3. Seemed a little harsh but got that huge cloud. I went back to 2 and think I’ll be spending most of my time in the lower temps. I honestly have no idea about taste because I have no sense of taste right now.

So I need advice on 2 things; draw speed and how to switch to automatic mode. Help please?

Also, I’m curious about how full people fill their pods and how many pulls they get per load.

All for science...

Yes I tamp, sometimes yes sometimes no, sometimes more sometimes less, all different grind consistencies and herbs so a lot of variance but everything seems to work well enough!

Draw speed is whatever you want it to be, again so many variables, what you want is consistency though for the sensor is all...

The session, is just pressing the button once and letting go, it will start heating and you can start drawing!

Again, try milking level one, take one long hit, and then another, still pretty impressive clouds, especially off of a near full bowl!

I like the upper temps with a shallower bowl I think... Most of my time is still spent on level one and level two, but I am using them all honestly!

And yeah a lot of variants in the number of pulls you can get over pod, my average is probably like three at minimum and ten at maximum?

staircase slight of hand

auto-mode = just click (don’t hold it down at all) the big button; lights should go from ‘breathing’ blue to solid blue (very, very briefly) to green. When it turns green, just draw as long as you want. When you stop drawing it’ll return to stand-by (‘breathing’ blue). Draw speed is pretty much down to personal preference, imho.

I’ve been loading mine all the way full and tamping lightly, and then doing 3 draws on level one, one draw on level two, stirring, another draw on level two, a draw on level three, another stir, another draw on three, and then finish off with a long draw on level 4. So, eight draws and a pair of stirs? It’s pretty amenable to anything I throw at it, technique-wise, though. Planning to experiment with smaller bowls at level 3/4 tonight, hoping for good results with finishing the bowl in two draws.

florduh

IMHO I find the Bowle still takes some lung capacity to really coax a hit out of it.

I showed it to my mother who uses medical canna for a number of years now and she was so impressed by the fast heatup, the first words out of her mouth was “I want one”

But after a few more uses she wasn’t as thrilled as the initial run. I’m experiencing quite a bit of inconsistency between bowls, it seems to work better with longer draws, but the heater cuts off easily when pacing my inhalation for a longer draw. And Sometimes it will show a green light throughout the entire draw and still produce very little vapor, even on the highest temperature setting.

Like you, I got this thing mostly to try and find a quick heating vape that non-experts can easily use. It sort of sounds like there's a software issue on yours. The only time I find a long, traditional convection vape draw necessary is on level 1. On the others, I do a 6 second draw first like it says in the manual. Subsequent hits, it doesn't seem to matter. I can just puff if I want to.

There's a reset procedure posted here somewhere. Maybe giving that a whirl will kick the breath sensor into gear? I don't notice any of the most common issues talked about here on my unit. Except for the dismal battery life. Oh, and the few times I've used the cup I've lost it for minutes at a time. Like, my brain doesn't register it as a vape. Just a cup.
I never tamped down. I get hotspots. Maybe I should.

I use the tamp tool to give it a gentle tamp-down. It cooks the herb more evenly than any other convection portable I own, all with no stirring or other tomfoolery.

Bad Dog

Yeah I pissed on the rug...... so what
First battery charge come and gone, initial thoughts? WoW!!!!! And I don't use that lightly! I'm not the most experienced vaporist but I do have several premium vapes of high regard within the community so I'd say I have at least some idea about good vapor and vaporizers and I'd have to say that the bowle is a top shelf unit. Managed to get 4 pots out of the battery and I'm ok with that considering how fast it charges, that and typically being a 3 times a day user and micro doser at that, shouldn't give me any problem. Didn't try the potter yet and filled my pot by pouring ground herb from a pill bottle, filled full then lightly tamped to 3\4 full. First pot started at temperature 2 and did the breath sensing hit, full timer, taste was quite nice and a very satisfying cloud, I was impressed with how smooth and cool it was, had another then went to temperature 3 after a stir and got another nice hit, went back for another but it was killed, checked the avb and it was a medium\medium dark and I was happy with that. I won't bore you with all the details of the rest of my loads but I tried many things including riding level 1 and you can pretty much kill a pot that way leaving very little to temp step with. Also tried level 4 and I can't time out there or I will scorch the load but smaller half time hits or so are fine. All in all I'm very pleased with the unit but more testing to come

BestBuds

The Dude
Lol, I’m so glad I’m not alone in that response. After my very first bowl I tried to evaluate the experience objectively but all my brain was saying was “wow. wow. Wow. WOW. WOOOOOOOW.” for about 5 minutes :lol:
It's that sentiment being repeated over and over is what won me over. Even the vape critic Bud had that reaction in his current state of malaise and distain for the vape industry. Austyn Simrell said it recently on a Think dank episode 'you know it's good when you have to look at the shit you're hitting' :drool: That's what Bud did, he couldn't stop smiling.
So many people who I actually respect the opinion of, really dig this vape. I am still not sold and I think the cup thing is dumb but I'm going to give it a go. It looks like mine will arrive Saturday.

Last edited:

Ripstar

It's that sentiment being repeated over and over is what won me over. Even the vape critic Bud had that reaction in his current state of malaise and distain for the vape industry. Austyn Simrell said it recently on a Think dank episode 'you know it's good when you have to look at the shit you're hitting' :drool: That's what Bud did, he couldn't stop smiling.
So many people who I actually respect the opinion of, really dig this vape. I am still not sold and I think the cup thing is dumb but I'm going to give it a go. It looks like mine will arrive Saturday.
I took the leap because of the free cup offer and I was expressing my lack of interest in the cup as well. Now, it's filled with ice water, other cooled drinks, and, sometimes, fucking sour patch kids....I am surprised how much I use the cup. Enjoy man!!

Bad Dog

I am still not sold and I think the cup thing is dumb but I'm going to give it a go. It looks like mine will arrive Saturday.
I thought it was Goofy at first...... Then I read you can't put in hot liquid or alcohol and I thought that was stupid!....... Then someone said the vape really shreds....... Than someone else , then more! So I thought to myself I already have vapes that kick my ass and call me Susan, when would I even use this I thought to myself? Then something came to mind........ Yes then and it would be very convenient too! I sent off a email asking if they were going to make a better cup? They said yes! So I can have my beloved hippy speedball lol that opened up more possibilities. So I might actually use this thing and the vape kicks ass which is a prerequisite for anything that will pass the reach test. So I said what the hell and jumped in ! Now it's in my hands and checking a lot of boxes but I admit I haven't used the cup yet just the vape so far cause at the end of the day I paid over $400 and it wasn't for the cup lol but tomorrow everything is used as intended when I go visit my cousin, the first reason I thought I'd use this thing. But now that I have it I can see all the use it will get, this thing was made to BBQ in the back yard with a beer in the cup and a sativa in the bowle or maybe a jack and ginger traveler for walking the dog around the block with some high cbd. Lots of possibilities

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
But now that I have it I can see all the use it will get, this thing was made to BBQ in the back yard with a beer in the cup and a sativa in the bowle or maybe a jack and ginger traveler for walking the dog around the block with some high cbd. Lots of possibilities
Tailgating too and fairly discrete too. What would be cool is if they made a lid for the cup - like Tervis (again) does - then walks and it being more portable in addition to resting it down would really cover it all, pun intended :lol: Let us know how it goes. :peace:

Bad Dog

Middle of the night wake and vape, putting the Bowle through its paces , a very quick and effective midnight medicator. Experienced my first glitch, went for a breath sensing hit and my hit was way too short! So I tried again, same thing? Tried a manual hit and it was fine? Turned it off and on and tried the breath hit again and it was fine 😅 my unit does hot spot a little left rear but unless I'm at 4 taking a full timer hit it's never more than maybe twice as dark as the rest of the bowl and never more than brown. I don't mind stirring and my pots are way faster that way. My avb was very even and the equal of my tinymight or even weedeater
IMG_0504.jpg

The Chemist

New member but long time lurker
I spent the week end playing with the old and the new pucks before sending the old one back to Tafée.
The results were very interesting, I'm gonna show you parts of the email I send them since I don't want to rewrite everything:

The airflow on the old puck is a lot more restricted than on the new one. I knew as soon as I took my first draw on the new puck and I even took out the stem immediately and put it on the old puck to see if it was the packing of the herb that was doing this but the airflow was back to feel restricted.
I guess that's why the puck would shut off when I was using the "press and release" method, sometimes there's not enough airflow to activate the sensor. Even if I do a pre-heat it would shut off and sometimes in the middle of the session when it should already be hot enough.
So far the new puck is working like it should, it only shut off one time and it was because I had slowed down my inhalation speed. Also I never do a pre-heat. (They asked me to do a pre-heating of the vape before the first draw, just press and release and wait for the heater to shut down.)

I was already in love with the Bowle but now with this open airflow it's on another level. Much easier on my lungs when I inhale, I have old smokers lungs so they can be picky and the old puck would leave me with a little discomfort in the chest because I would need to work harder to get my vapor. The taste of the vapor also took a bump and is better than ever.

I did some tests on the battery life using the same quantity of herb in both vape and using a stopwatch to make sure my timing was the same. When I did this last time the results were not good because I was counting in my head so forget what I wrote in my last message.

My results for the "press and hold" method were: OLD 4 cups and 3 puffs at level 1, NEW 5 cups and 3 puffs at level one and 1 puff at level 2
My results for the "press and release" method were: OLD 3 cups and 3puffs at level 1, NEW 4 cups and 3 puffs at level 1 and 3 puffs at level 2

As you can see I'm getting a full session more with the new puck. I always thought that the bowle should have enough battery life to give me 5 sessions since there's 5 cups coming with it and the Potter. The old puck would always give me 4 sessions at best, so I'm fully satisfied with this result. My battery life was even worse because of the constant shut off, all those 3-4 seconds heating weren't enough to produce vapor but they were depleting the battery each time so that's why I would always be taken by surprise when I would need to recharge the vape.

As for the button cutting off when using the press and hold method it didn't happen but I was mainly using the other method so it could still be a problem for me. In this case I think I might be the problem. I had several operations on my hands and as a results my finger strength can be a problem some days.
I did compare both buttons and they act the same way, if I press on them and slowly release the pressure the heater will cut almost immediately, it will take a little more time to continue releasing the pressure before the button will click. In my mind the heater should cut when the button clicks or at least right before it clicks. Right now for me it's too easy for my hand to relax a bit after pressing the button and have the vape shut off. Like I said this wouldn't be a problem if it didn't result in a need to recharge the battery faster, on a vape with limited battery life this matters a lot.

almost there

I spent the week end playing with the old and the new pucks before sending the old one back to Tafée.
The results were very interesting, I'm gonna show you parts of the email I send them since I don't want to rewrite everything:

The airflow on the old puck is a lot more restricted than on the new one. I knew as soon as I took my first draw on the new puck and I even took out the stem immediately and put it on the old puck to see if it was the packing of the herb that was doing this but the airflow was back to feel restricted.
I guess that's why the puck would shut off when I was using the "press and release" method, sometimes there's not enough airflow to activate the sensor. Even if I do a pre-heat it would shut off and sometimes in the middle of the session when it should already be hot enough.
So far the new puck is working like it should, it only shut off one time and it was because I had slowed down my inhalation speed. Also I never do a pre-heat. (They asked me to do a pre-heating of the vape before the first draw, just press and release and wait for the heater to shut down.)

I was already in love with the Bowle but now with this open airflow it's on another level. Much easier on my lungs when I inhale, I have old smokers lungs so they can be picky and the old puck would leave me with a little discomfort in the chest because I would need to work harder to get my vapor. The taste of the vapor also took a bump and is better than ever.

I did some tests on the battery life using the same quantity of herb in both vape and using a stopwatch to make sure my timing was the same. When I did this last time the results were not good because I was counting in my head so forget what I wrote in my last message.

My results for the "press and hold" method were: OLD 4 cups and 3 puffs at level 1, NEW 5 cups and 3 puffs at level one and 1 puff at level 2
My results for the "press and release" method were: OLD 3 cups and 3puffs at level 1, NEW 4 cups and 3 puffs at level 1 and 3 puffs at level 2

As you can see I'm getting a full session more with the new puck. I always thought that the bowle should have enough battery life to give me 5 sessions since there's 5 cups coming with it and the Potter. The old puck would always give me 4 sessions at best, so I'm fully satisfied with this result. My battery life was even worse because of the constant shut off, all those 3-4 seconds heating weren't enough to produce vapor but they were depleting the battery each time so that's why I would always be taken by surprise when I would need to recharge the vape.

As for the button cutting off when using the press and hold method it didn't happen but I was mainly using the other method so it could still be a problem for me. In this case I think I might be the problem. I had several operations on my hands and as a results my finger strength can be a problem some days.
I did compare both buttons and they act the same way, if I press on them and slowly release the pressure the heater will cut almost immediately, it will take a little more time to continue releasing the pressure before the button will click. In my mind the heater should cut when the button clicks or at least right before it clicks. Right now for me it's too easy for my hand to relax a bit after pressing the button and have the vape shut off. Like I said this wouldn't be a problem if it didn't result in a need to recharge the battery faster, on a vape with limited battery life this matters a lot.
Much of what you say overlaps with the discrepancies I’ve observed between my 2 pucks. How’s the charge time between the 2 pucks?

The Chemist

New member but long time lurker
Much of what you say overlaps with the discrepancies I’ve observed between my 2 pucks. How’s the charge time between the 2 pucks?
The first time I charged the new puck I had set my timer but I was in the basement when it finished so I'm not sure exactly how long it took. Since then I recharge it more often and I don't wait for it to shut down before I do, so I can't really compare.
I do think it took a little bit longer to charge than the old one because I was expecting it to be done around 1h10, went to the basement ,got distracted, came back at 1h30 fully charge, test failed sorry.:doh:

kimura

as I read these comments I keep thinking about the early days of the miniVAP. they had issues with consistency, where some units would work great, but others, not so great. but it was insidious, because the bad units would still "work", just not very well, so it was sometimes hard to tell if there was anything wrong with the unit, or if that's just how it was supposed to be. got to the point were I remember some folks were convinced that the mV was supposed to work that way, and just produce a lighter blue vapor. I can't mention this without also saying how the folks at mV (Jorge) were very easy to work with and always honored their 2 year warranty and replaced faulty units. I went through a few units, but in the end, its one of my all time favorites

am I ready to be hurt again? :lol: can't say it wasn't worth it in the end

Top Bottom