Study of Various Vaporizer Brands....

lwien

Had to repost this: Look at the Solo as compared to the Cano. Must be all that condensation that takes place on the inside surfaces of the bag, eh? But then, what's DaVinci's excuse?

Brand % of THC in vapor % of CBD in vapor

Volcano Medic®, - 58.4% 51.4%

Plenty Vaporizer®, 66.8% 56.1%

Arizer Solo® 82.7% 70.0%

DaVinci Vaporizer® 54.6% 56.7%

Vape-or-Smoke™ 55.9% 45.9%

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26784441

Last edited:

lwien

That was an interesting read, thanks for sharing! Nice to find a study where the full text is available to the general public. In case anyone missed the link to the full text, I'll post it here:

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0147286

Being that this was published on Jan 16, 2016, this has got to be the most recent and most comprehensive study that I have ever seen on vaporizers. Not only that, but it was published by the US National Library of Medicine/National Institute of Health.

An excerpt from that link:

The largest difference was seen for THC vaporized from THC-type cannabis with 54.6% and 82.7% for the DaVinci Vaporizer® and the Arizer Solo®, respectively. Here, the yield differed by 50% between the device with the lowest and that with the highest vaporizing efficiency. Lowest recoveries between 48.5–58.5% for cannabinoids from cannabis were obtained with the DaVinci Vaporizer® and the Volcano Medic®, whereas the Plenty Vaporizer® released 56.1–66.8% of total cannabinoids into the vapor.

Best recoveries were obtained for the Arizer Solo® with 70.0–82.7%. The better the recovery the less drug (cannabis or cannabinoids) is needed to deliver a defined therapeutic dose to a patient. This is an economic issue in terms of cost-effectiveness of the therapy with medicinal cannabis. Another aspect is the reliable and constant release of cannabinoids into the vapor to guarantee uniformity of the dosage, reflected by the RSD values obtained for the different devices. All electrically-driven vaporizers showed small variabilities with RSD values ≤ 13%. Excellent reproducibility was found for the Plenty Vaporizer® (RSD ≤ 6.5%). It is also important to note that the design of the vaporizers had an impact on the yield of cannabinoids released with the vapor. Devices such as Volcano Medic® and Plenty Vaporizer® providing rather cold vapor for a mild, less airways-irritating inhalation revealed a smaller recovery of cannabinoids in the vapor compared to Arizer Solo®. However, this device, designed to release a maximum amount of cannabinoids into the vapor and lacking a cooling tube, produces a rather hot vapor, which may be less tolerated by patients.

Last edited:

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker
Being that this was published on Jan 16, 2016, this has got to be the most recent and most comprehensive study that I have ever seen on vaporizers. Not only that, but it was published by the US National Library of Medicine/National Institute of Health.

An excerpt from that link:

The largest difference was seen for THC vaporized from THC-type cannabis with 54.6% and 82.7% for the DaVinci Vaporizer® and the Arizer Solo®, respectively. Here, the yield differed by 50% between the device with the lowest and that with the highest vaporizing efficiency. Lowest recoveries between 48.5–58.5% for cannabinoids from cannabis were obtained with the DaVinci Vaporizer® and the Volcano Medic®, whereas the Plenty Vaporizer® released 56.1–66.8% of total cannabinoids into the vapor.

Best recoveries were obtained for the Arizer Solo® with 70.0–82.7%. The better the recovery the less drug (cannabis or cannabinoids) is needed to deliver a defined therapeutic dose to a patient. This is an economic issue in terms of cost-effectiveness of the therapy with medicinal cannabis. Another aspect is the reliable and constant release of cannabinoids into the vapor to guarantee uniformity of the dosage, reflected by the RSD values obtained for the different devices. All electrically-driven vaporizers showed small variabilities with RSD values ≤ 13%. Excellent reproducibility was found for the Plenty Vaporizer® (RSD ≤ 6.5%). It is also important to note that the design of the vaporizers had an impact on the yield of cannabinoids released with the vapor. Devices such as Volcano Medic® and Plenty Vaporizer® providing rather cold vapor for a mild, less airways-irritating inhalation revealed a smaller recovery of cannabinoids in the vapor compared to Arizer Solo®. However, this device, designed to release a maximum amount of cannabinoids into the vapor and lacking a cooling tube, produces a rather hot vapor, which may be less tolerated by patients.

So, am I reading correctly into this that something like say a 'mod' could allow one to get better medicinal effects off less herb in their vaporizers just as in the same way one vaporizer may perform better than another? Fascinating!

All joking aside, it's nice to see this start to be quantified!

lwien

Hmmm, this seems odd, I don't feel like the solo gets me higher than my volcano

But if you used more bud in the Cano to get to the same place as you did with your Solo, than it's not a fair comparison.

So, am I reading correctly into this that something like say a 'mod' could allow one to get better medicinal effects off less herb in their vaporizers just as in the same way one vaporizer may perform better than another? Fascinating!

Submit your mod to them for testing. ;)

But yeah, this study really helps to validate the use of vaporizers in general.

TboneToker

Yes it wouldn't be fair, I'll have to text ot out Iwien! I'll dose the same from my can and my solo in two separate occasions and judge the high to report back here after! I will try 0.3g in both! I know that's a large dose but I can always try it with like 0.05 another time. I might even test a higher and lower dose then report back here in an edit!

Honestly I feel like my aromed extracts the most from my material, not only that but the range of temperature is great, it works really well at 330 and below but it feels like if I put my cano and my aromed at 340 say, and take the same amount of material, I'll get more of the cbd/cbn effects from the aromed than the volcano, because of this I feel like the aromed really is made the way the company stated that it was made, which is to really extract the goodies. At higher temps both the aromed and volcano work more comparably but still I feel the aromed does a better job at getting me high but it does take longer, a session with both the aromed and volcano would be cool! Anyways (: excited

Adobewan

Went back to the Solo just recently and noticed a difference but didn't think it was the vaporizer.
So glad to see this kind of data available to us. Can't wait to see the impact this has on the vaporizer industry.
I didn't read the entire article, does it mention what criteria was used to choose the vaporizers included?

Hashtag46&2

Trichome Technician
Had to repost this: Look at the Solo as compared to the Cano. Must be all that condensation that takes place on the inside surfaces of the bag, eh? But then, what's DaVinci's excuse?

Brand % of THC in vapor % of CBD in vapor

Volcano Medic®, - 58.4% 51.4%

Plenty Vaporizer®, 66.8% 56.1%

Arizer Solo® 82.7% 70.0%

DaVinci Vaporizer® 54.6% 56.7%

Vape-or-Smoke™ 55.9% 45.9%

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26784441
Fantastic post!
I'm putting together a "Portfolio" regarding Cannabis Vaporization and general consumption (Sans Combustion) to present to my Doctors, this article will be included.
(I'm so very tired of them saying.." Well, there is no proof yet") regarding it's medicinal properties.

I too am wondering where the hell the THC/CBD is being lost or perhaps not produced in the DaVinci ?

This also shines some light on why my Solo sessions are so effective and enjoyable with small hits throughout the day.
I just "knew" there was something special about the Solo, it simply blows me away every time I use it.

I always thought..
"Well, that nug was really frosty, and I didn't really break it up"
So, I always gave the extra credit to the herb, I'll be using the Solo more often.

I'm loving the brave new world researchers are now finally conducting and actually releasing the findings to the citizens.

herbivore21

This study looks credibly done by qualified researchers, there are some limitations (this is normal!). It also cites many other interesting looking studies! Thank you for sharing this article Lwien! I have some reading to do!

friedrich

Little-Known Member
This study is very cool, however... the nominal temperature settings are not necessarily comparable across devices; they may not handle the 50mg load equally well; and optimal draw patterns vary greatly. I'd like to see them sample humans using each vaporizer to achieve similar degrees of toastedness :science:

Amargi

Doin' shit, keepin' fit, and too legit to quit.
This study gives Solo users a big (seemingly well deserved) pat on the back!

An impressive performance from one of the most affordable "cordless" units on the market is making some folks look pretty darn shrewd right about now.. will there be a run on Solos as a result of this news?

Stay tuned to find out.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
We Solo fans knew all along we had a pretty special portable vaporizer. A very sturdy unit that's easy to use. Now we find out how a study by an important health institute tells how efficient the Solo is and how well it medicates. We all knew that all along but now we're validated. :D Not to mention it doesn't use a lot of product. You save on the cannabis budget right off the bat.

I don't think the Solo is harsh. There are 7 different temperatures to depend on, you can always choose a lower heat. I think the Arizer Air is somewhat harsh I need to use the lowest heat with a regular mouthpiece.

You don't need to spend a lot of money to get a kick ass vaporizer that gets the job done and then some.

Last edited:

bounce5

that makes sense why I feel like I get a very "thorough" and medicated high from my air. I like to use it at bedtime even above my nano

Too bad they didn't include the e-nano. I also wonder about the Vapman. Many people say Vm is the king of efficiency, I wonder how it would score.

How much THC do you get through smoking for comparison's sake? Would be nice to share that statistic with my smoker friends. That would motivate them to vape much faster than anything.

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker
Too bad they didn't include the e-nano. I also wonder about the Vapman. Many people say Vm is the king of efficiency, I wonder how it would score.

How much THC do you get through smoking for comparison's sake? Would be nice to share that statistic with my smoker friends. That would motivate them to vape much faster than anything.
I can't quote exact figures or reference a website, but far less than vaping is a certainty.

Combustion temps are known to destroy cannabinoids.

luchiano

Hmmm, this seems odd, I don't feel like the solo gets me higher than my volcano

Edit... Wouldn't this just be an explanation of the to air ratios. Like the volcano has more air than the solo per ml of vapor but not necessarily giving you less in the long haul?
Another thing that should be taken into account, is the fact that the lungs would most likely absorb the vapor from the plenty, and volcano, better then the smaller vapes. When there is less restriction on the respiratory system, the more it can relax, and allow more absorption of gas, plus more air in general. So, even though the numbers may be high for the portables, how much of that is actually getting aborbed into the body. Its like joints, they give the highest thc percentage, but most of that is going to the air, and exhaled, because its so thick.

When I read the study, it states that a vacuum was used to pump the air for extraction. I highly doubt we know someone who can inhale for 3 minutes straight using the Arizer solo. Something else to think about.

This is making me think the "plenty" vaporizer must be a beast when it hits you. All that thc going straight to your system. DAMN!

Last edited:
luchiano,
Reactions: grokit

funkyjunky

www.lamart.ch
Manufacturer
what does this do in aks fc?

very nice study, we need more alike this. will read soon thoroughly. on what settings were the devices used? fully packed?

The Beagle

Bubbles & Bags
Great stuff, thanks for sharing. Has anyone ever compiled a list of scientific studies regarding vaporization?

The Beagle,
Top Bottom