Stuck glass

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know you cracked one but a wooden dowel works wonders for pulling stuck adapters, haven't gotten any stems/bowls stuck.

They make specialty anti joint lock products but beeswax, ChapStick or Vaseline all work wonders and last a long time before it needs to be done again.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
There's no place like this community. It made me smile reading through all the suggestions. Friends helping friends, that's what it's all about.

Not sure about the WD40, you would have to make sure you cleaned everything afterwards. WD40 is also flammable. I would want to hear from @OF. You could give him a PM.

There's no place like this community. It made me smile reading through all the suggestions. Friends helping friends, that's what it's all about.

Not sure about the WD40, you would have to make sure you cleaned everything afterwards. WD40 is also flammable. I would want to hear from @OF. You could give him a PM.
Yes please be sure to thoroughly clean whatever you spray flammable fluids onto. People on fire is not cool. Neither is having to call poison control.

MinnBobber

I'm done with it for today. I still need to get the two adapters un-stuck, but will continue to work on that tomorrow. Thanks for all the help guys. :)

So in an effort for all to learn, what method did you try that didn't turn out so well?
And which piece cracked---bubbler (hopefully not) or adapter #1 directly in the bubbler, or adapter #2 (at the top of the glass chain?

MinnBobber,
Reactions: Vicki

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist

So in an effort for all to learn, what method did you try that didn't turn out so well?
And which piece cracked---bubbler (hopefully not) or adapter #1 directly in the bubbler, or adapter #2 (at the top of the glass chain?

I tried twisting the adapters off, and accidentally dropped the bubbler on the floor. The bubbler cracked, but that's ok. It's the D020, and I have two back up pieces, thankfully. Adapters one and two are still ok, but also still stuck in the cracked bubbler. I used the method you suggested below, but used a soft towel.

HNGE81t.jpg

Vicki,

virtualpurple

The soft towels likely won't give you the traction that you are probably needing.

In the hospital our iv typing comes with a plastic protectant sheath where the iv connects to the needle hub. Sometimes these pieces get stuck pretty bad, and the problem is exacerbated if moisture (like from priming the iv line) is introduced.

The solution I use for these as well as for stuck pieces of jewelry is to loosely cover them with one of our latex free gloves.

If you're able to find some non-lubricates gloves they should be pretty darn cheap. I would try one dry first and if you weren't able to get a grip I would moisten the joint with just a few drops of water. That should give you more traction for twisting.

This is very similar to @Aimless Ryan's suggestion, and I think that whether it's gloves or a hot-water bag, etc. should hopefully give you the results you need.

Best of luck @Vicki

VP

Aimless Ryan

Came to read about grinders; fucked combustion
I don't think your problem is that the glass is horribly stuck together. I suspect the problem is that you have human skin on your hands, which is like having oil-soaked hands when you put them against glass, even though it probably doesn't feel that way to you. Using a cloth is no different.

Even though my problem was a little different than your problem, it's also kind of the same. There's a very good reason why the hot water bottle worked for me. It's the same reason why rubber/latex makes it easy to open jars that you can't open with your hands alone. Rubber creates friction between your hand and the piece of glass you are trying to dislodge from the other piece of glass. Which is probably all you need.

Please try rubber.

Aimless Ryan

Came to read about grinders; fucked combustion
You have been given the answer to your problem at least four different times now, by at least three different people, yet you have not reported trying the prospective solution, nor have you reported solving your problem. Every other prospective solution failed horribly.

You don't have a thermodynamics problem; you have a mechanical problem. I have the same issue multiple times every day, except I don't have a problem. Entirely because I keep a piece of rubber handy.

Aimless Ryan,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
You have been given the answer to your problem at least four different times now, by at least three different people, yet you have not reported trying the prospective solution, nor have you reported solving your problem. Every other prospective solution failed horribly.

You don't have a thermodynamics problem; you have a mechanical problem. I have the same issue multiple times every day, except I don't have a problem. Entirely because I keep a piece of rubber handy.

It seems unnecessary to berate @Vicki when this thread has been quiet for almost two weeks. Since she hasn't returned, we can assume the problem has long been resolved one way or another, perhaps even by taking your suggestion. For that reason, this thread is now closed.

pakalolo,
Reactions: Vicki
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom