Still getting email notifications despite disabling?

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
Screenshot of my email settings: Screen Shot 2021-08-13 at 2.55.06 PM.png

Despite this any threads that I watch still cause an email to be sent when a new reply is made. This is annoying for several reasons: first, gmail often sees fit to notify me on my mobile phone (I like FC fine, but its not that urgent and its distracting during the work day or social engagements). More importantly out of an abundance of caution I'd rather not have references to FC and the things I do in my free time in my email account (so that its not an autocomplete suggestion if I'm searching for it in front of others or whatever). Am I misunderstanding the "conversation" (which I took to be a pm) checkbox or are my settings somehow not being honored?

Here's the other section that is probably relevant, but again it seems I've disabled email notifications?Screen Shot 2021-08-13 at 2.57.48 PM.png

edit: wasn't quite sure where this belonged, but feel free to move it @mods if there's a better section for it!

gordontreeman,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Screenshot of my email settings: View attachment 11517

Despite this any threads that I watch still cause an email to be sent when a new reply is made. This is annoying for several reasons: first, gmail often sees fit to notify me on my mobile phone (I like FC fine, but its not that urgent and its distracting during the work day or social engagements). More importantly out of an abundance of caution I'd rather not have references to FC and the things I do in my free time in my email account (so that its not an autocomplete suggestion if I'm searching for it in front of others or whatever). Am I misunderstanding the "conversation" (which I took to be a pm) checkbox or are my settings somehow not being honored?

Here's the other section that is probably relevant, but again it seems I've disabled email notifications?View attachment 11518

edit: wasn't quite sure where this belonged, but feel free to move it @mods if there's a better section for it!
I just checked your settings myself and they seem set up correctly, so I'm not sure what's going on either.:shrug: I'll let @vtac chime in.

:peace:

gordontreeman

Thanks for checking @Stu. I guess in a pinch I can filter them to spam, but it would be nice to get pms and such.

I don’t know where you guys host FC (someone’s basement or heroku or aws or some other hosting provider) or anything about the forum software you use, but turning it off and on again fixes all kinds of weird issues like this ime ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

edit: also to the best of my knowledge I didn’t get an email from either of the two replies to this. I changed something else and saved, maybe that pushed it back to the server to correctly store it in the db or whatever mechanism saves these user level settings? Fingers crossed, I guess.

edit2: as of 12:29 am I did see another watched thread email, unfortunately 🙁. Just posting in case it’s useful to @vtac or other mods.

Last edited:

Shadooz

To me it was and still is the opposite.

I could check/uncheck all the box. I've only received mail the first month, then nothing...

Monkey communication tools :rofl:
And they want to be called evolve "homo communicans" :rofl:

*me, closing back the door*

Last edited:
Shadooz,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Apologies, I know that is annoying. After a thorough analysis it appears that Stu has hacked your inbox and has been eating your spam.

These directions may vary a bit depending on if you're using a computer or mobile device.
If that doesn't stop the emails you may need to defrag your monitor and or invest in HRL. In seriousness, hopefully that helps. If not we'll figure it out. :)

Last edited:

gordontreeman

Thanks @vtac that seems like it might have been it. If it happens again I’ll @ mention you in case any other trouble shooting is helpful to others, but it does seem like email notifications were still on at a per thread level there. The profile setting must not retroactively apply to threads you’ve watched and had email alerts set for.

gordontreeman,
Reactions: vtac
Top Bottom