Sticky Brick Junior by Sticky Brick Labs

almost there

My SBJ box bounced around the LA area for a few days (was supposed to get it on last Thursday). It arrived this afternoon. Looks like I am going to celebrate Freedom Day with the Cherry SBJ! 'Merica!
Have a wonderful time:tup:. U are about to embark on a journey of pure convection heave:cool:. Don't stop till u see stars, happy 4th everyone!

Hammahead

Bought me a junior last week, and it _really_ delivers. It has nearly all I loved with my late Grasshopper: instant action, pure convection*, works as fine with < 100 mg as with 300 mg, awesome taste. (*The Hopper heats up the herb chamber pretty fast, so the second or latest third toke will have some conduction aspects. Not with the Sticky Brick!). I can easily swap the glass mouthpiece for a 14 mm glass part and thus connect it with any device I can connect with a silicone tube. And as I inhale a _lot_ of vapor at a time, this thing kicks like a mule. As so many said: from loading up to facemelt in 10 seconds, bam. Also it's nice to use and quite smooth even without a water piece. It seems the H2O vapor of the torch is moistening the warm air you inhale. Pretty, pretty decent. The first ABV I got was a surprise: lighter than with any of my other devices (I'm usually in the area between 180 and 190 °C) which is great especially considering the thick clouds I got.

The cons: That torch is soo crack-housy. And it doesn't get easier and safer to handle in round two ff…. I'm quite the butterfingers so it didn't take long to the first "ouch". Have you reached the age for reading glasses? Use them. Really helpful when aiming at that intake. Junior quickly got a little burn mark next to the intake because I hadn't come up with that advice yet . Well… get high, burn yourself and your gear and learn. Must say, that annoys (and frightens) me a tiny bit more than I expected. Mishandled the torch and had the flame too close to the glass intake in a wrong angle, which resulted in incomplete combustion of the gas (for like half a second) and I either inhaled a little gas or carbon monoxide from incomplete oxidation. Bummer experience. Not that dramatic though, but the learning curve is somewhat steep, comparably. Doesn't work too comfortably with my classic three-piece bong unfortunately. Handling the torch, handling the three-piece bong and watching out for the brick wasn't exactly relaxing, but as I had planned for a whip->water->whip device anyway, that's not a biggie. And its more than made up for by the above mentioned possibility to just plug in a male 14 mm glass adaptor/connector.

These are pretty minor cons in my book compared to the brilliant performance. I got exactly what I was looking for: purest convection, instant use, super efficient AND effective at the same time. Pricewise it's ok, you don't buy such a device based on the value of the material used to build it. At least I don't. I buy it for the look and feel and mainly for what it does. High Score!

All that being sad, I hope it comes across that I really like that Junior Brick. However, I would only recommend it to a certain target group. You have some experience in vaping, and, frankly speaking, are a bit desperate for humongous clouds and a really strong, nearly instant high, delivered by a pretty much unbreakable, consequently low-tech device that's probably NOT going to spend a big portion of the time traveling as a warranty case? Then this brick's for you.

Adobewan

Bought me a junior last week, and it _really_ delivers. It has nearly all I loved with my late Grasshopper: instant action, pure convection*, works as fine with < 100 mg as with 300 mg, awesome taste. (*The Hopper heats up the herb chamber pretty fast, so the second or latest third toke will have some conduction aspects. Not with the Sticky Brick!). I can easily swap the glass mouthpiece for a 14 mm glass part and thus connect it with any device I can connect with a silicone tube. And as I inhale a _lot_ of vapor at a time, this thing kicks like a mule. As so many said: from loading up to facemelt in 10 seconds, bam. Also it's nice to use and quite smooth even without a water piece. It seems the H2O vapor of the torch is moistening the warm air you inhale. Pretty, pretty decent. The first ABV I got was a surprise: lighter than with any of my other devices (I'm usually in the area between 180 and 190 °C) which is great especially considering the thick clouds I got.

The cons: That torch is soo crack-housy. And it doesn't get easier and safer to handle in round two ff…. I'm quite the butterfingers so it didn't take long to the first "ouch". Have you reached the age for reading glasses? Use them. Really helpful when aiming at that intake. Junior quickly got a little burn mark next to the intake because I hadn't come up with that advice yet . Well… get high, burn yourself and your gear and learn. Must say, that annoys (and frightens) me a tiny bit more than I expected. Mishandled the torch and had the flame too close to the glass intake in a wrong angle, which resulted in incomplete combustion of the gas (for like half a second) and I either inhaled a little gas or carbon monoxide from incomplete oxidation. Bummer experience. Not that dramatic though, but the learning curve is somewhat steep, comparably. Doesn't work too comfortably with my classic three-piece bong unfortunately. Handling the torch, handling the three-piece bong and watching out for the brick wasn't exactly relaxing, but as I had planned for a whip->water->whip device anyway, that's not a biggie. And its more than made up for by the above mentioned possibility to just plug in a male 14 mm glass adaptor/connector.

These are pretty minor cons in my book compared to the brilliant performance. I got exactly what I was looking for: purest convection, instant use, super efficient AND effective at the same time. Pricewise it's ok, you don't buy such a device based on the value of the material used to build it. At least I don't. I buy it for the look and feel and mainly for what it does. High Score!

All that being sad, I hope it comes across that I really like that Junior Brick. However, I would only recommend it to a certain target group. You have some experience in vaping, and, frankly speaking, are a bit desperate for humongous clouds and a really strong, nearly instant high, delivered by a pretty much unbreakable, consequently low-tech device that's probably NOT going to spend a big portion of the time traveling as a warranty case? Then this brick's for you.
Glad you're an SBJ lover as well @Hammahead, I agree with a lot of what you've said but would like to add a few notes so potential buyers get a rounded view.

There's definitely some learning curve, everyone will likely combust a couple of times in the beginning, but that passes. I agree on the torch and have been looking for a classier one to move away from the crack-house feel(although the provided torch works great.) Try to keep your intake at an angle to your line of sight so you're not looking directly across the intake opening perpendicularly, but into it a bit, you'll find it easier to keep the flame in the tube. And yes, keep your glasses on:)

Regarding the price, you mentioned build materials, look, feel, and performance, but what about functional design?
This drilled and cut block of wood with a couple of o-rings and glass tubes outperforms most of my portables and some of them retail for over $300. That's valuable design consideration.
On top of that, the unit is nearly indestructible, save the glass which is easily and inexpensively replaced(especially compared to my other portables). It's self contained, closes up to travel into a very clean package that needs no carrying case.
...and of course, there's the fact that it's one of the only vapes that will serve us after our enemies fire an EMP at us, knocking out our electrical network:).

Rather than a niche target group that's desperate for clouds and really strong instant high, I would strongly recommend this unit to everyone, smokers trying to quit, beginning vaperists, those looking for a solid vape at a great price, those interested in flavor, etc.

Hammahead

There's definitely some learning curve, everyone will likely combust a couple of times in the beginning, but that passes.
I'm still surprised at how light my abv is with the SBJ. My "problem" is that I'm still not getting big clouds more consistently. Getting better though.

Try to keep your intake at an angle to your line of sight so you're not looking directly across the intake opening perpendicularly, but into it a bit, you'll find it easier to keep the flame in the tube.
I'll give that a try, makes sense. Thanks
and of course, there's the fact that it's one of the only vapes that will serve us after our enemies fire an EMP at us, knocking out our electrical network
Huh, so maybe it's a good thing I couldn't sell my Iolite in the classifieds. Doesn't work in the mountains though.
The last two posts overcame EVERY reservation and concern that I had about acquiring a Sticky Brick Jr. Thanks folks!
Now ain't this the greatest place of all to learn the pro and cons from so many different angles on all those vaporizers? So glad I could give back a little bit of what I got here!

Adobewan

I'm still surprised at how light my abv is with the SBJ. My "problem" is that I'm still not getting big clouds more consistently. Getting better though.
Hold the torch a little closer into the intake, when you feel the heat, pull back a quarter to half inch and back to position 1 as necessary. Might get you where you're looking to be.

Huh, so maybe it's a good thing I couldn't sell my Iolite in the classifieds. Doesn't work in the mountains though.
Don't sell that Iolite, my beloved Iolite turned me to vaping, that's why there's a little spotlight over it in my signature. Haven't tried it in the mountains though.

Now ain't this the greatest place of all to learn the pro and cons from so many different angles on all those vaporizers? So glad I could give back a little bit of what I got here!
I so agree with you.

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
After some months of use - and sometimes a stony way of learning - I still love my SBJ.
The only lack is the way of direct heating with butane. As @Hammahead said, there is a notable taste of incompletely burnt gas or burning products of the gas which I really dislike.

Wish there would be something like a small electric powered hot air pistol for heating to avoid this - little - lack of taste.

Cl4ud3

After some months of use - and sometimes a stony way of learning - I still love my SBJ.
The only lack is the way of direct heating with butane. As @Hammahead said, there is a notable taste of incompletely burnt gas or burning products of the gas which I really dislike.

Wish there would be something like a small electric powered hot air pistol for heating to avoid this - little - lack of taste.
The only way to resolve that would be purer gas :( I had one gas supposedly pure that definitely added an extra taste, switched gas problem gone.

Kermitt

Hammahead

there is a notable taste of incompletely burnt gas or burning products of the gas which I really dislike.
I have probably not made this clear enough: that happened one time out of numerous ;) attempts. I'm pretty sure it happened because due to mishandling I partly "suffocated" the flame so either a small portion of gas was not burnt or was burnt insufficiently so there was a very small amount of butane and/or carbon monoxide present in what I inhaled. It wasn't so much a strange or even bad taste (the gas itself is practically odorless), but a certain lightheaded dizziness I know from inhaling a bit too much (super pure, see below) butane when making concentrates or from inhaling combusted weed. All on a very, very small scale. Having more or less stopped combusting for quite a while does something to my overall tolerance when it comes to inhaling fumes of all sorts. I never knew there was something like bad tasting air. When I was still smoking, I went on several business trips to Shanghai and got along like a homeboy, even when the smog was so thick, you could hardly see the city from Oriental Pearl Tower. I guess nowadays I'd start choking there once I left the airport ;)

So, in short: if you experience this bad taste nearly all the time, it might really be a good idea to switch the butane brand. For concentrates you also want to go for purified gas ("NZI" - near zero impurities) so that might be a source. In Germany (weren't you a fellow Bundesbürger?) you will find the Tycoon brand in most head/growshops which is great. You can order it online at Globetrotter as well.

@Kermitt: the gas you linked to on Amazon isn't exactly the winner in the list that Vapor Eyes linked to, is it?

Adobewan

The only way to resolve that would be purer gas :( I had one gas supposedly pure that definitely added an extra taste, switched gas problem gone.
@Hogni

I do not think that is necessary. If you have decent gas, there is no "gas taste". I use the following without gas-side flavor.
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0189JI8DE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A25NBAIZBBC79R&psc=1

There is also even better gas, as in the link, but I'm very satisfied with it.

Also take a look @Vapor_Eyes Post:
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/dynavap-vapcap.18853/page-512#post-1103645
And here's the even better gas, have been using it with no smell or taste issue:
4 CANS Lucienne Quadruple-Refined Butane 300ml
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-CANS-Luci...949530?hash=item3f74f1e51a:g:6i0AAOSwA3dYk6Ux

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I use Lucienne simply because I can find it for about $5 a can at my local head shop. I bought some Colibri before I found that chart. It works fine, and I would use it for a torch if I didn't have better options. I might not use it to make extracts though.

For what it's worth a lot of cigar enthusiasts swear by Colibri for their high end torches, which can get very expensive. I've seen torches that cost almost as much as a Sticky Brick Junior!

stinkytofus

hits great, definitely pick one up from puffitup they have crazy good customer service

if you pack it full, up to the top, then put the piece over it, you will get big clouds, i find myself getting bigger clouds from 2nd hit and on, first hit seems to warm it up but gave me the tastiest hit

any concerns with inhaling butane?

duff

Well worn
4c8xIHj.gif

Top Bottom