Stem loaded devices

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Because there is overlap, for one thing oven load would refer to a conduction hybrid, you can have chamber load convection however, chamber is the universal term... Glass stem becomes your chamber and pathway, logs are glass stem vapes as are many pure convection on demand vapes, but you also have the conduction session Arizer portables... One could even argue injectors use glass stem, same type of joints, but more of a bowl... But anyway I'm not sure why you think people don't differentiate this way because I certainly do lol

badbee

Is there a reason why we don't differentiate between oven loaded devices & stem loaded?

We have battery, plug in, butane, portable, desktop, ball injector, log, cheers!
There really weren't that many stem load devices until recently. It used to be the Arizer's and a bunch of artisan vapes that used basket screens. Now the top dog in stem loaders is the TM. The different stem loaders are all so different from one another that it doesn't make for a really useful category.

GoldenBud

What about the Anvil? I do not think a simple as this. This oven loaded vape is predominantly convection.
I am sure the Anvil is mostly conduction .... run a google search for "Fourier law of conduction" that's the case with the Anvil
the Anvil got a gap between the chamber and the place where you heat, true, but after few seconds the chamber will become hot before you inhale (conduction)

We'll never know why John said it's a convection device, but I'm pretty pretty sure he didn't know about the "Fourier law of conduction" before he said his vape is convection. the Anvil mutes most the bud's taste, bringing huge clouds. good conduction vape, but muted taste = another evident that it's a conduction vape...

Last edited:
GoldenBud,
Reactions: simba

Farid

Conduction and convection are just heat transfer methods. You could have a stem or an "oven" (though the tip of the stem is also an oven if we want to be semantic) for either. Plenty of examples of stems being used for both. Ovens are used for both as well- less common with convection but still exist (thermovape, v3, firefly)

GoldenBud

Conduction and convection are just heat transfer methods. You could have a stem or an "oven" (though the tip of the stem is also an oven if we want to be semantic) for either. Plenty of examples of stems being used for both. Ovens are used for both as well- less common with convection but still exist (thermovape, v3, firefly)
when it's stem loaded AND conduction, usually there will be a lot of vapor. like Solo II @ 210C, and BAKx @ 200C+
when it's oven loaded idk... it heats the material before you inhale.... avoiding you to enjoy the full potential of the buds...

GoldenBud,

Farid

Not necessarily. If the heater is away from the oven with no physical contact it's no different from a stem. Pretty much every injector vape is like this as well.

Farid

When I say oven it's always referring to where your bud "cooks" ie the chamber. With convection the heater is away separated from the oven in some manner. With conduction the heater touches the oven.

GoldenBud

So the bottom line of this thread is:
it doesn't matter the load, it matters if the system is already hot and the air comes to pass the vapor (conduction)
or hot air 'surprises' the bowl (convection)

stem loaded devices term can only mislead people?

GoldenBud,
Reactions: dman28

Farid

I dont see it as misleading at all. In many ways its less misleading than convection/conduction because thats so debatable for many units. A device either uses a stem or it doesn't, it's pretty easy to tell when it does.

There is certainly a benefit to stems that has nothing to do with heat transfer. If someone is looking for a new vape differentiating those which have stems from those which don't is hugely beneficial. I'd say for a large number of users it matters more than heat transfer, since it directly effects how a device looks, feels, and operates. A lot of people care about that more than how it heats.

The benefit of a stem to me is easy cleaning, the ability to have multiple stems prepacked, and the easy ability to blow ABV out.

Photonic

Lesser-Known Lurker
Is there a reason why we don't differentiate between oven loaded devices & stem loaded?

We have battery, plug in, butane, portable, desktop, ball injector, log, cheers!
I sort of the like idea since I recently started a thread asking about the easiest to maintain vapes and I feel stem load types are often in the mix. It might not be universally true, but being able to remove the stem for loading/unloading keeps the main unit cleaner. Stems can be soaked in ISO, etc.
:tup:

Plus, glass stems can improve taste and can make the loading easier in many cases too.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Aside from cleanabilty, which I do appreciate only having to clean stem and basket/screen, I favor stem loaded devices for their ease of loading.

Dip stem into my Jyarz, sip up some pre-grind, tamp flat and GO.

Easy, and the lack of handling any buds greatly diminishes any hand smell and lingering odor.

P80, TOAD, and TM2 are the current favorites.

dman28

Vaping for the health of it.
I am sure the Anvil is mostly conduction .... run a google search for "Fourier law of conduction" that's the case with the Anvil
the Anvil got a gap between the chamber and the place where you heat, true, but after few seconds the chamber will become hot before you inhale (conduction)

We'll never know why John said it's a convection device, but I'm pretty pretty sure he didn't know about the "Fourier law of conduction" before he said his vape is convection. the Anvil mutes most the bud's taste, bringing huge clouds. good conduction vape, but muted taste = another evident that it's a conduction vape...
Thank you for referencing this. I had a look and I think the heat transfer bias cannot be made here as it references flow of heat and the flow heat through air is poor compared to metal or ceramic.

Photonic

Lesser-Known Lurker
Sorry for reviving an older thread, but I was hoping to get the community's thoughts on the best stem loaded, portable dry herb vapes available now. I own a TM2, so mostly I'm interested in cheaper options that work well, are good quality, readily accessible and have well isolated vapor path.

Are the best [relatively inexpensive] stem based devices the Air Max, Air SE, Solo II Max, others? Thanks on advance for your inputs.

Last edited:
Photonic,

Shit Snacks

Sorry for reviving an older thread, but I was hoping to get the community's thoughts on the best stem loaded, portable dry herb vapes available now. I own a TM2, so mostly I'm interested in cheaper options that work well, are good quality, readily accessible and have well isolated vapor path.

Are the best stem based devices the Air Max, Air SE, Solo II Max, others? Thanks on advance for your inputs.

TM is by far the best imo and yes Arizer are a much cheaper option but with much weaker power and different extraction type session style... Not sure air path is ultimately as good, and anything cheap probably won't be? electronics etc and others discontinued

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: Photonic

Photonic

Lesser-Known Lurker
TM is by far the best imo and yes Arizer are a much cheaper option but with much weaker power and different extraction type session style... Not sure air path is ultimately as good, and anything cheap probably won't be? electronics etc and others discontinued
Yeah... I'm trying to help some friends who can't afford to invest in a TM2 and, in all honesty, would probably break/lose it after a short awhile. :\

They've used Pax, HR and V3 Pro style vapes where you load the bowl, but struggle to maintain them and eventually go back to combustion. My thought is they would have more success with a stem loading device since they are easier to maintain, IME.

So, as long as the device is good enough to keep them away from combustion, I figure it would be a win. :shrug:

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
Yeah... I'm trying to help some friends who can't afford to invest in a TM2 and, in all honesty, would probably break/lose it after a short awhile. :\

They've used Pax, HR and V3 Pro style vapes where you load the bowl, but struggle to maintain them and eventually go back to combustion. My thought is they would have more success with a stem loading device since they are easier to maintain, IME.

So, as long as the device is good enough to keep them away from combustion, I figure it would be a win. :shrug:
Maybe something from the Dynavap family would be good?

TigoleBitties,

Photonic

Lesser-Known Lurker
Maybe something from the Dynavap family would be good?
Hmm. I do have an extra Dyna IH and a few different dynavaps I could probably give them. Not a bad idea!

They wouldn't use a torch because I've already given them dynavaps + torches and they stopped using them, but maybe with the IH it could work. :hmm:

Shit Snacks

Yeah my roommate has been using my old HR fierce with the stems this way, and I am hoping to upgrade him to a lobo eventually because those stems should fit it as well... It's a shame they don't offer or plan to offer them as a stock option accessory for lobo and they no longer had them in the HR rogue either (which was supposed to be the fierce v2) so it does seem like solo 2 max in the next month on sale could be the best bet if they are used to session style conduction anyway and just need the simpler cleaning maintenance... (Roffu can be set up to use just with glass stem, best with JoDa custom order)

Hmm. I do have an extra Dyna IH and a few different dynavaps I could probably give them. Not a bad idea!

They wouldn't use a torch because I've already given them dynavaps + torches and they stopped using them, but maybe with the IH it could work. :hmm:

Yeah if they like that, I would prefer the new thermal accumulator or tempest probably personally, stunner, and then there's also Dani or Anvil... I've never used an induction heater but they seem like a nice way to go with these!

Shit Snacks,
Top Bottom