Statins and cannabis

After latest lipid panel I might have to go on statins. 63 year old male, cholesterol 260, ldl 190. I don’t have any family history of heart disease and have alway had good blood pressure #s.I make Mct oil infusions out of rso and vape from my Mighty+ . Not a medical user , I enjoy cannabis 3 -4 days a week. Saw several articles stating cannabis edibles can interact with statins. Anyway around this, timing of meds and rso? I prefer edibles to vaping. I have changed my diet and do exercise most days. I’ll discuss with my Dr. after I re- test, just wondering if others have found a way to continue to enjoy cannabis while taking medications.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I take Atorvastatin, 80mg per day, I think that counts? At least 15, maybe 20 years, idk.
It keeps my cholesterol numbers in line, despite the high volume of cannabis that goes through my system.
My numbers were not as high as yours, My dose never went above this level, which is where I started.

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
I don't take statins but just for general health, I researched taking CoQ10 (ubiquinol form) as a supplement. Apparently, taking statins can induce myopathy and part of this is due to statins interfering with (decreasing) levels of CoQ10 in the body.

Sucks because CoQ10 levels plummet as we age and decent levels are necessary for good health in general.

Sorry, I know this isn't related to cannabis but just throwing it out there in case it helps.

pubmed article

Edit: Full disclosure, I'm not a doctor and don't work in any drug related industries. For sure, check with your health professional before taking stuff.

Last edited:
TigoleBitties,
Reactions: lazylathe

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
I've been taking simvastatin for nearly 15 years. I had the wrong high numbers, though again not as high as yours. They put me on 80mg per day. Nine or ten years ago I started having pain in my feet that they thought might be related to statins, so I decided to change my diet and see if I could get my cholesterol down that way. I went from 80 to 40 to 20 to 10mgs over two years with "normal" test results. Been on the minimum dose of 10 for eight or so years without a problem. Generally I always want the minimum effective dose of any drug--other than cannibis or alcohol!. I vape strong stuff six or seven evenings a week and daily on weekends and it hasn't had any effect that I know of on my cholesterol. But we're all different and bring different heredities and life styles to the game. Also 95% of my use is vaping, with edibles being rare. Still I don't see what could be in edibles that could effect cholesterol, tests, or statins. Vasodialation, which we see in our bloodshot eyes, shouldn't matter for cholesterol, in my uninformed opinion.

PS: Dietary changes to lower cholesterol: I still have ribs, wings, pastrami, and burgers, but occasionally or rarely rather than regularly. Same for butter, ice cream, etc. And thank god I got the exercise habit.

Thanks for the responses, I understand since edibles are processed thru the liver it could react with certain medications like statins. Might just have to vape and drop the edibles…

Mndeadhead

i am sure there is no correlation, but it feels like i have to eat a lot more mg of edibles to get the same feeling since I have gone on my cholesterol medication. I swear I am just as well off going and buying a bag of gummie bears from the gas station. I'm sure its more a product of needing to take a good long break, but...

Mndeadhead,
Reactions: Madri-Gal
Top Bottom