Stainless steel BCG - worth it?

Photonic

Lesser-Known Lurker
Sounds like GFL should consider polishing the inside of the matte SS version, maybe at a middle price point option or just change the matte version going forward and address cost difference.

Buzzkill361

Good Vibes Tribe
I have had no issues with my matte one gunking up so far personally. From what I can tell it’s been no different than my aluminum BCGs that I’ve had. It’s light years better than my herb ripper was about gunking up which was also matte. Just my experience though. I know mileage on gunking up can really vary with what’s being ran through it.

jasp3r

I have had no issues with my matte one gunking up so far personally. From what I can tell it’s been no different than my aluminum BCGs that I’ve had. It’s light years better than my herb ripper was about gunking up which was also matte. Just my experience though. I know mileage on gunking up can really vary with what’s being ran through it.
Echo this. Have had Matte SS for couple months now. No notable gunk compared to my other Brilliant cuts and have prob put 5+ ounces through it

In fact I would call it an adequate improvement. I feel it grinds easier due to the increase weight and force that can be applied from the top part, and personally just love how heavy it is. If you are someone who travels alot with a full grinder just keep in mind the SS is orders of magnitude heavier than the defualt bc (even the large one!)

Last edited:

Durbandream

do you care about shaved aluminum mixed in your flowers ? then yes you will want a SS grinder

is bcg worth it ? depends.. its definitely priced a little high, but as long as you dont drop it, it should last you a lifetime and the only plate you need is probably medium plate, i hardly use coarse and i can always pull out my storz and bickle grinder or kannastor gr8ter grinder for a fine grind, the magnets are great, no more screwing pieces together, price wise they are worth it if you can get a 15-20% discount, even with the coupon it costed me $164 ish for the ss bcg
How would you get shaved aluminum in a BCG? None of the metal grinds against itself that I can see, can the teeth somehow contact?

cx714

Unregulated Tendencies
If there’s wear in the color (as can happen), then the anodizing is wearing, presumably into your flower. That’s the layer of aluminum oxide formed by the anodizing process plus whatever dye they use.

That said, a peer-reviewed study I looked at drew a clear distinction between inhalable and respirable metal dust based on size. Just bc you breathe it in doesn’t mean your alveoli will process it.

So while SS is theoretically safer, I don’t mind sitting on my Al BCG until the right iteration comes along. Bring back those bottom facets!

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
How would you get shaved aluminum in a BCG? None of the metal grinds against itself that I can see, can the teeth somehow contact?

Most of the wear comes from those center post contact, and depends on your own use

Shit Snacks,

Shit Snacks

Have people found metal shavings like with the Flower Mill? That's the main reason I chose the BCG, so it would be a shame if it had the same problem.

No nothing like that, as far as I know no one's ever seen actual fragments, just noticing the color where in those high friction spots that can get knocked in the center... I never noticed anything with my FM either, but I don't use it anywhere near as much... People said that was more of a black dust from the sides of the top inside?? They're totally different design so not really comparable in any way including potential flaws lol full stainless steel is always an option for people who feel more confident and secure with that of course though

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: Grass Yes

Durbandream

No nothing like that, as far as I know no one's ever seen actual fragments, just noticing the color where in those high friction spots that can get knocked in the center... I never noticed anything with my FM either, but I don't use it anywhere near as much... People said that was more of a black dust from the sides of the top inside?? They're totally different design so not really comparable in any way including potential flaws lol full stainless steel is always an option for people who feel more confident and secure with that of course though
I have a Flower Mill Mini and I have gotten black streaks on an ISO dipped paper towel where the chamber screws on and around the body where the top grinds against as it turns, but it just seemed like normal wear. Definitely haven't seen anything inside the chamber but I've seen pictures of people who have in the Premium version. I can see the center protrusion on the BCG wearing if someone used it rough but it feels more natural to use it gently anyway.

Vapegirl666

Switched from a Santa Cruz shredder to a stainless steel BCG
The SC teeth would get clogged with material making it hard to clean if one has hand issues

No complaints about the BCG after a couple of months
Only build up is on the surface of the disc around the holes
Minor complaint and more likely the material I'm using and the fact it is the fine plate

Shit Snacks

I have a Flower Mill Mini and I have gotten black streaks on an ISO dipped paper towel where the chamber screws on and around the body where the top grinds against as it turns, but it just seemed like normal wear. Definitely haven't seen anything inside the chamber but I've seen pictures of people who have in the Premium version. I can see the center protrusion on the BCG wearing if someone used it rough but it feels more natural to use it gently anyway.

Oh yeah so this is not like that at all much better, I will say that if you plop the top onto the bottom haphazardly, because of the magnet the automatic force could scrape a bit more over time, if you are really careful about lining it up well then it probably won't show any wear for a long while if ever... My first one has a decent amount visible wear bc I am not so careful handling it that way though it took a while as I'm more careful than most probably in general I think at least

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: Grass Yes

stinkytofus

i have the ss version of the bcg

my kannastor and pucks are all aluminum, i believe some parts they didnt put the plastic between the aluminum pieces is where you’re going to grind the aluminum together and get some shaved aluminum, its not a big deal but one reason i got the ss bcg

stinkytofus,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

PeteyS

I think if you got money to burn then why not?
But realistically, its a bit much to spend on something that, essentially cuts up flower buds.
You can really get a similar effect from a pair of scissors that you already own, a coffee grinder, or picking it with your hands!
Imagine that!

PeteyS,

stinkytofus

I think if you got money to burn then why not?
But realistically, its a bit much to spend on something that, essentially cuts up flower buds.
You can really get a similar effect from a pair of scissors that you already own, a coffee grinder, or picking it with your hands!
Imagine that!
yes true, but if i want a perfectly grinded fluffy cannabis flower, i use a good grinder like kannastor, storz and bickel or bcg

stinkytofus,

PeteyS

Your right, those BCG's are amazing in usability/appearance, and the fluffy grind. I have two, one for cbd. I think i got them as "seconds" plus an additional 15% off. That was the only way I was going to purchase one. Im pretty frugal, Haha. I always look at the price, and say to myself. What else can I buy for this amount of money.
And I would rather buy a new vape or two for the price of a S/S grinder. They are pretty dope though. I really like the matte finished ones.

PeteyS,

stinkytofus

Your right, those BCG's are amazing in usability/appearance, and the fluffy grind. I have two, one for cbd. I think i got them as "seconds" plus an additional 15% off. That was the only way I was going to purchase one. Im pretty frugal, Haha. I always look at the price, and say to myself. What else can I buy for this amount of money.
And I would rather buy a new vape or two for the price of a S/S grinder. They are pretty dope though. I really like the matte finished ones.
i mean calculate all the time you will be unscrewing and screwing, the time will add up vs magnets which is instant open, eventually it will pay itself haha

stinkytofus,

ChooChooCharlie

Steel is heavy
I don't fear the aluminum reaper
Posting OMD scale pics because I didn't see specs on site, maybe missed them. Copied specs for BCGs from Grinders For Life site. The 2.4 inch diameter is approximate

Specs-for-BCG-and-OMD.jpg

I don't have a steel BCG -- hope and pray they figured out the proper strength magnet for the added weight. OMD went a bit overboard with mag strength, in my weak handed opinion. Had a no-mag version before gifting it -- but it gave me problems when opening for scooping, top two parts would separate without careful gripping of both pieces. No easy "clamshell" opening technique with OMD, you will miss it if you're a BCG user. Will also miss the smaller center post of BCG, which allows grinding, unlike post in OMD which is designed around the skateboard bearing. OMD seems sharper, perhaps grinds a bit easier, but effort opening/closing is too much for this weak old stoner. And, the BCG "magic" levitation closing trick is not an option with OMD. Spent over a grand on four of them, would think I would be a fanboy to justify my purchase? cool custom logo engraving on Ti's though. Off to the El Grito street fest

Finessseee

I went for the ZAM SS 2pc.

Having never used or handled a BCG, I think I would always recommend a SS over AL. Especially if you plan on buying once for life.
I may buy this.. how has it held up for you? Do you just pre grind into a mason jar before consuming?

Finessseee,

Magic9

Plant Enthusiast
I may buy this.. how has it held up for you? Do you just pre grind into a mason jar before consuming?

Had it for about a year now. Zero issues. Still the only grinder I use. I grind a day or two worth and dump it onto a square stainless "plate" from amazon.

Magic9,
Top Bottom