Stainless steel BCG - worth it?

noobvaperct

Title please. They are running 15% off and I’m looking at possibly getting one with all 3 plates, but that puts it close to $400…

noobvaperct,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

AssistedLiving

if you feel the need to spend $$$, Old Mate in Oz has a titanium grinder

AssistedLiving,
Reactions: Grass Yes

noobvaperct

if you feel the need to spend $$$, Old Mate in Oz has a titanium grinder

Is this also threadless? I need to do some research! I get 3 different plates with the BCG for the same price as well. Is titanium that much better? I always remember everyone loving the BCG so much the past several years.

noobvaperct,

Buzzkill361

Good Vibes Tribe
Title please. They are running 15% off and I’m looking at possibly getting one with all 3 plates, but that puts it close to $400…
If you get the matte it’s quite a bit cheaper. I have a smaller matte and I love it. I personally don’t care to much for polished anything so it was a win win for me. Also medium plate is a great do all grind size if you wanted to save any more money. I got all 3 with my smaller one and ended up really online using the medium and rarely the fine. If they had offered the plates separate when I got mine I’d had just got the 2 and saved money as I’ve never touched the coarse. Also to answer your question the BCG has the best grind consistency and ease of use out of any grinder I’ve personally used. I believe it to be worth it as it will last a lifetime and I’m very happy with the grind, but its not a secret that it’s expensive for what it is and I don’t fault anyone for not wanting to spend that much.

Magic9

Plant Enthusiast
I went for the ZAM SS 2pc.

Having never used or handled a BCG, I think I would always recommend a SS over AL. Especially if you plan on buying once for life.

noobvaperct

If you get the matte it’s quite a bit cheaper. I have a smaller matte and I love it. I personally don’t care to much for polished anything so it was a win win for me. Also medium plate is a great do all grind size if you wanted to save any more money. I got all 3 with my smaller one and ended up really online using the medium and rarely the fine. If they had offered the plates separate when I got mine I’d had just got the 2 and saved money as I’ve never touched the coarse. Also to answer your question the BCG has the best grind consistency and ease of use out of any grinder I’ve personally used. I believe it to be worth it as it will last a lifetime and I’m very happy with the grind, but its not a secret that it’s expensive for what it is and I don’t fault anyone for not wanting to spend that much.
Thank you for your reply!

Can I ask, what’s even the purpose of different grind plates? I don’t get the fine plate the most, I always heard medium is best for dry herb vapes and medium to coarse if you’re going to smoke a joint let’s say.

noobvaperct

I went for the ZAM SS 2pc.

Having never used or handled a BCG, I think I would always recommend a SS over AL. Especially if you plan on buying once for life.
Yeah I’m fine with the price if it will last a lifetime of potential drops etc.

noobvaperct,
Reactions: Magic9

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Not sure why you asked this here. You'll probably find the majority of BCG owners on that thread:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)

Why that one? That is really expensive, and you might not need all plates, you might not need SS, you might not need the large size...

Can I ask, what’s even the purpose of different grind plates? I don’t get the fine plate the most, I always heard medium is best for dry herb vapes and medium to coarse if you’re going to smoke a joint let’s say.

The medium can cover you best as a one-size-fits-all, you can go upside down to grind more fine, and depending how you load and the consistency of the herbs, that will affect the consistency of the grind... However I use my fine plate a lot personally, what you've heard is generalizations that are not even remotely universally true (every vape every bowl every person every situation can entail a different grind consistency although you don't necessarily need different plates to get it)

Yeah I’m fine with the price if it will last a lifetime of potential drops etc.

I don't think any high quality grinder is going to have any issue with any drop... I don't see why it would? The regular BCG is extremely high quality aluminum, they are really nice, I have mediums and larges with every plate size, I prefer to get a whole other grinder instead of multiple plates for one grinder so I now have several... Except I do not have the steel yet, because I got the old mate, the regular steel version is awesome and I use it very frequently rotating with my BCGs now, yes it only has one plate size and there is differences to the grind depending how it is used as I described above, I will probably get a second one with a finer plate honestly, though there are other people who want to get a second one with a coarser plate, so it is all personal preference... He can customize to make it however you like, yeah the titanium version is really nice I think because it can be fully colored is all, I don't think it's necessary to spend that kind of money however? I like how the OMD spins on its own so well it feels like auto grinding although it's less control over the grind like I have with my BCGs (various plates and sizes turning them upside down controlling the turn etc)

Yeah there is also a thread for all herbal grinders btw

Buzzkill361

Good Vibes Tribe

Fine works good for ball vapes imo, medium is a good all around grind good for almost anything at least stuff I use. I personally don’t have a use for coarse but like I said at the time they didn’t sell them separate. Good to have options though. Different plates for different applications. I know some vapes like finer grind and some can handle whole small nugs. I personally like it the med plate but I also use the fine from time to time. Can also depend on the bud for what plate I’ll grab.

GoldenBud

No, it's not. the only case you should get an American Stainless Steel is when you need an equipment which supports high Pressure and high Temperature. like a chemical Reactor. people all over the world are getting Stainless Steel reactor made in USA and not in China, because they support up to P=300bar and up to T=930f.

so if you need a reactor, something that needs to be very very reliable, yeah, sure, I recommend getting an American Stainless steel. absolutely.

but if you just need a grinder, don't pay the price on American Stainless. get from AliExpress SS304 grinder in like 40$,
remember, Stainless Steel is not a pricey material. only when it needs to support high P,T it becomes expensive.

or get an aluminum grinder. it's also good. paying 400$ sounds insane to me. I build a whole AMD PC in 400$ (I don't get a GPU, I buy G-AMD CPU and it has Graphics too.....)
the CouchLog cost 400$ or so, 400$ for a grinder sounds insane.

get a 400$ grinder only if you have plenty of money. like, 400$ is nothing for you. that it won't matter in your balances this month, and you will never need the 400$ again. for example if you're doing 15,000$ per month and rent+all bills+food cost you 6000$ or less.

Last edited:

GoldenBud

But Canada is almost like USA I think, high quality and reliable stuff, I will edit to just American
Canana, USA, almost the same I think. you understood my message :lol:

GoldenBud,

GoldenBud

If one has any concerns with health, then buying everything from China to save money, may not end up in your best interests…. Unless of course you enjoy lead, painted to look like 304 SS.
Ok gotcha..... can agree with you..... but paying on made in Canana Stainlees steel? for a grinder? it's a grinder, not a chemical reactor. stop wasting your money people.... what's bad in BCG aluminum or something like PUCC? or something up to 60$?

GoldenBud,

GoldenBud

STOP telling people what to do!
Adults know their own budgets, and monetary situation.

***PAWS seems to have made you a prolific poster, but volumes of posts doesn’t equal = quality…
1. if you analyze the OP's message, he doesn't want to pay the price, but AAS is kicking in... like a machine...
2. Sorry. I will take step off from telling people what to do, although I recognize an AAS kicking in like a monster.

GoldenBud,

stinkytofus

do you care about shaved aluminum mixed in your flowers ? then yes you will want a SS grinder

is bcg worth it ? depends.. its definitely priced a little high, but as long as you dont drop it, it should last you a lifetime and the only plate you need is probably medium plate, i hardly use coarse and i can always pull out my storz and bickle grinder or kannastor gr8ter grinder for a fine grind, the magnets are great, no more screwing pieces together, price wise they are worth it if you can get a 15-20% discount, even with the coupon it costed me $164 ish for the ss bcg

coolbreeze

I have one of the matte ones and while I like the look, DON'T get that one, get the polished. Weed/resin sticks to it just like you think it will. It's a fine grinder otherwise, much heavier than the aluminum, fwiw. I have all the plates and while you can get by with the medium alone and invert it for fine, it's nice to have to course plate for Sticky Bricks and things that you'll stir a couple times.

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
I have one of the matte ones and while I like the look, DON'T get that one, get the polished. Weed/resin sticks to it just like you think it will. It's a fine grinder otherwise, much heavier than the aluminum, fwiw. I have all the plates and while you can get by with the medium alone and invert it for fine, it's nice to have to course plate for Sticky Bricks and things that you'll stir a couple times.
Always wondered about that, thanks for sharing. Bit of a bummer because while I love the look of the polished, I imagine it is nigh impossible to keep it looking so pristine.

@noobvaperct the bcg is the ultimate "buy once, cry once" purchase imo. I can't say enough good about it since getting one. Is it necessary? No, of course not, but its amazing, durable as all get out, and feels like a slightly luxury experience every time I use it. SS is heavier, slightly more durable, but most importantly an inert and well understood material. Whenever the endless health debates about Al come up you can just tune them out because it isn't applicable. I am fortunate to be in a position where the cost is trivial anyway, so even if a million people come to tell me why I'm a clown for believing Al is maybe possibly slightly not good to inhale I'd rather spend the extra money that I won't miss to never have to care (you only get the one set of lungs so its really not worth the gamble to me, but I understand not everyone is in the position to be so flippant about the cost).

Whether those things make it worth the price is up to the buyer. I will say that if you like it but not the price, to me the more reasonable thing to do would be to get a smaller grinder. If you have joint/hand/mobility issues that might understandably push you to the larger sizes for comfort reasons, but otherwise the standard sizes are plenty large. If you really want the best tasting vapor possible ideally you grind only what you plan to use just before using it anyway (after grinding there is more surface area for the good stuff to escape), so the extra size of the large is not quite what it is cracked up to be anyway to my mind.

coolbreeze

Bit of a bummer because while I love the look of the polished, I imagine it is nigh impossible to keep it looking so pristine.
I wish they'd polish the inside and split the difference. I don't want to overstate it, you can get by just fine. But I find my smooth aluminum one easier to deal with and I feel like I didn't think it through.

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
I wish they'd polish the inside and split the difference. I don't want to overstate it, you can get by just fine. But I find my smooth aluminum one easier to deal with and I feel like I didn't think it through.
Yeah no worries, I think I get what you are saying. I wondered if the matte case would be stickier than the Al or polished when they announced the SS last fall. Is it still as easy to clean as the Al was? Its a small thing, but i really appreciate how clean the Al stays, and if it does get gunky how easy it is to clean--I haven't had to do more than brush it out after a year and a half (maybe two years now?) of time with my Al BCG.

gordontreeman,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

coolbreeze

Is it still as easy to clean as the Al was?
A brush will clean it up pretty well, but fine/sticky debris may remain and build up a bit. Iso will take care of it when it needs cleaning, I assume the polished ones are like the Al, where the kif just doesn't really stick or build up. It could be an issue if you want to keep your flavors pure, for example. I wasn't on top of it and could taste my CBD weed in my herbs. I still use it daily, it's a great grinder, I just wish I'd gotten the polished. If the SS is essential and the matte is what you can afford or desire, go for it. It's solid and will last a lifetime, and do the job well.

nicknobody

I’ve thought about this. Thank you for confirming the matte is a silly finish for such a sticky hobby

Top Bottom