Tek Spiderman's Oil Extravaganza!

Spiderman

oil baron
StickyShisha,

If you only plan on running 7g-14g amounts through it, the sstb is the tube to use! A tighter packed tube will actually yield better, although the tighter you pack the more you risk causing a blowout. The rule to focus on is that the tube must be evenly packed throughout, from top to bottom. If the tube is packed more tightly near the top (closer to where butane enters) than it is at the bottom, the material can shift downstream and cause it to all blow out the bottom.

That being said, tight packs will give you the best yield, although 1.5 grams from 7 grams is a very good yield. If you've got a scale and can accurately measure your results, producing between 15% of your starting weight is considered "good" and 20% is considered great.

Yield is mostly a factor of the strain you are working with, and the quality of the material.

Spiderman,

Spiderman

oil baron
You have got the major points down, allthough there are a few things I thought I should mention, to clarify for you.

Survivalism said:
Well this is my understanding of what i should do:

Ive got a sstb w/ brown filters and a hose clamp. Im using 320 ml cans of vector.
Absolutely. Just for reference, though, a 320 ml can of vector works on as much as 40 grams of bud, so if you have a can half full laying around, you can use it on a turkey baster and receive the same results. That being said, I dont recommend trying to run part of a can and then stopping, it can cause material to blow out the entry end if you remove the can too quickly.

Take my bud and break it up into little chunks, pack the sstb snugly and put my filters on and clamp it down.
Dont focus too heavily on breaking it into smaller chunks, smaller pieces tend to create darker runnier oil than their larger counterparts. Obviously, the pieces have to fit, but when you pack them in, it will help them to crush a bit and fill in all the spaces.

Take a frying pan and fill it with tap hot water, put my pie plate over that and blast the butane outside. After most / all the butane has evapped outside i take it inside and put it on the stove turning it on and off every once in awhile.
SAFETY WARNING: DO NOT take the pan inside when there is ANY butane at all left in it. Even a tiny amount of liquid butane is extremely flammable, its extremely dangerous to bring any of it inside.

I would recommend blasting, walking inside, and waiting 5-10 minutes before walking back outside to grab your perfectly clean pan. This will remove you from the area were the worst to happen, but also doing this will help to purge the oil a small bit before it even gets on the stove, allowing you to minimize the amount of heat you cook it with.

Cover it every once in awhile and pop the bubbles with my torch.. once they stop flaming up the purge is done and im good to scrape.

How bout dem apples?
More or less. I'd keep it covered the whole time, only removing it shortly to pop the bubbles, after about 10 minutes or so, and on regular 10 minute intervals or so until the batch is done. This will help to get the most out of the heat you put into the oil, keeping it evenly hot from both top and bottom and allowing you to more evenly "cook" butane out of the oil. Also, dont be afraid to use torch heat, it is fine to use top heat as a means of needing less bottom heat.

That being said, you can cook bubbles out of the mixture for a long time, the trick mostly revolves around the smell of the bubbles. That being said, the batch is usually somewhat uneven in thickness of oil across the plate, meaning some ares usually are thicker than others.

With smaller batches this tends to be less of an issue, but purging comes down to cooking the oil the right amount, at a low enough temperature.

Hope this helped, and wasnt too confusingly worded.

Spiderman,

StickyShisha2

Spiderman said:
Yield is mostly a factor of the strain you are working with, and the quality of the material.
i did a run with each strain i had, and had varying results. I even picked up some "regs" to see the outcome.

i love this stuff soooo much. Next round i'm adding some extra kief to the tube.

StickyShisha2,

Survivalism

Weapon Enthusiast
Thanks alot spiral and spiderman!! Ive made a few batches since i posted in this thread and my oil has gotten better every time thanks to your help. I actually took some pictures so tell me what you think!

Got this bud for free so i decided it was the perfect candidate for my first batches of oil.

This is one of the adapters that came with my can of vector, i just shaved it a tiny bit to make it fit, perfect seal i think.

A picture when it was purging, you cant really see anything. This was my 3rd batch and the first one after checking in on this thread, this stuff was a bit thicker than honey, i dont believe i purged my first 3 batches correctly at all.

On the right razor blade is whats left of my 4th batch, this oil was pretty damn hard ( the thick glob in the center was just barely gooey, but it snapped off the blade like hard oil ) and the oil on the left was made this morning, it is rock hard :D

This is the bud ill be making my next batch of oil with, i expect good things :)

And this is my dosa ti oil curve, works great and looks good. Picked it up off of FMB.

EDIT: Biggest question, how the fuck do i get the oil out of the corner of my pie plate!?!?!?!? theirs a SHIT ton in their id like to scrape >.<

Survivalism,

Spiderman

oil baron
Hey man, good times!

Shatter is a very good sign that you purged it within a good range, although its not the bible (you can have overcooked shatter and undercooked shatter, although the difference isnt very extreme). That being said, it looks like you did a great purge there, both batches have a very nice color and look to them. With a good purge, the quality of oil is mostly a factor of the quality of material :D

Few small thoughts, just what I noticed from your pics...
-Leave the material a little larger. You really dont benefit from breaking the material down into smaller chunks, except so far as to remove large pieces of stem. In the pic you posted, there is even a few stems laying around in there. The tastiest, most potent oil comes from whole buds.
-The little screw on needle to the turkey baster can come off, and you can use the largest of the plastic adapters, to fit in the threads of the baster.
-Not really important, just thought id mention it, you can probably trim a little bit more of the coffee filter off. Dont worry though, you already got the majority of it off, and thats the real trick. Good job.

Good to see you arent afraid to put better material in, dont be afraid, you will be MORE than pleased with the results. Especially with a proper oil vaporizing tool, such as a ti curve (like you have now) or a dome and nail setup for those who are so inclined.

As for the corners....heres the basic problem: you're using the wrong kind of blades. The "Safety Blades" or w/e, that are rectangular and only have one blade exposed, can be bent into the corner, scraping down the wall towards the center of the plate. It takes somewhere around 17 scrapes doing this to scrape a plates corners fully.

ALTERNATITIVE: For those who dont feel like bending razor blades (I've seen them snap and have a piece go flying, lol, it can be a little scary), or are confused by the above, theres a very easy way to clean your pan all the way! (Protip: cleaning your pan every batch will help ensure none of your oil has the dreaded "auto-budder," where it budders up as you scrape it). Simply scrape the bottom of the pan to grab your oil yield, and then return the pan to the double boiler setup. Fill to above the oil line with whole milk, and maybe 1/4 teaspoon butter per cup of milk. Cook this just like you did the oil (without the torch), using the lid and plenty of heat from below, and something like a chopstick to rub the oil off the sides into the fatty milk. Then, drink the milk, and put the milky pan in the dishwasher to come out spotless.

Spiderman,

StickyShisha2

Survivalism said:
Thanks alot spiral and spiderman!! Ive made a few batches since i posted in this thread and my oil has gotten better every time thanks to your help. I actually took some pictures so tell me what you think!
nice pics.

Survivalism said:
EDIT: Biggest question, how the fuck do i get the oil out of the corner of my pie plate!?!?!?!? theirs a SHIT ton in their id like to scrape >.<
i used a square porcelain baking dish, so i didn't have that issue. What about baking a pie in it? :D

StickyShisha2,

Survivalism

Weapon Enthusiast
Grabbed a safety blade and recovered that oil :D Thanks for the tips once again spidey, this bud was really fluffy and when completely dry alot of it just crumbled like you see. Not much nug to begin with.

Ah i never even tried using the baster without the screw in thing, using the adapter that way sounds easier.

Ill probably run a baster of some of the above kali mist in the next week or so and im gonna actually weigh everything out so i can calculate my yield. Ill make sure to keep too bud only and small chunks.

Ill try to take some pictures of that venture, im really excited to see the difference in the oil and the flavor.

One question, where is the cheapest place to purchase vector ( cans or cases.. whatever is cheapest ) that you know of?

EDIT: I never thought anything would change my consumption after i got my purple days.. but wow hehehe.. i was wrong.

Survivalism,

Spiderman

oil baron
STickyShisha,

The square dishes are actually worse, as the corners on them cannot be scraped, and hold the most oil. So, you lose the most oil to the pan on the square dishes. Also, no thanks to scraping porcelain, im a glass man :D

Survival, good luck getting tane cheap. I recommend finding someone who will sell it to you in cases (12 cans) or master cases (12 cases). Convincing them why you need so much butane, though, is a bit tricky.
I buy tane from a local smokeshop, where I've bought it for years. They give me a nice discount, as I have the habit of going in and clearing out their remaining tane supply every few weeks.

Right on about the material, just food for thought really....I cant force you to make oil the way I recommend, but I can back up what I recommend.

Spiderman,

Clear_Dome

Vaporhead
Glass Blower
you can trust spiderman ! he know what he talk about ;) ....hey spidy, I would like to throw a small oil dish&dropper to thanks you for making me discover the glass world about one year ago , drop me an email with your info and when I'll get some time I'll it to you .

Clear_Dome,

Survivalism

Weapon Enthusiast
Thanks alot spiderman, im going to start looking around here at smokeshops, someone is selling a case on the bay for $86 shipped i think which will probably be my last resort.

When i make my next batch of oil ill definitely keep it to buds, i am not totally sure when its going to happen, but ill take pics for sure.

Survivalism,

aznfknpride

borosilicate fiend..
Just picked up a Ti curve as well, couldn't help myself :ko: still don't have the oiler yet, should be here shortly, then maybe I can snap some pics of me attempting to make oil.

aznfknpride,

Survivalism

Weapon Enthusiast
Made some more oil for a different batch of funky greenery, this stuff was grand daddy purps but is very stemmy / seedy. not worth smoking but made decent oil.

I love the difference in taste, this oil turned out almost red. I have not used any high grade yet but plan too soon enough.

Thanks once again spidey / SA.. i have not used my pd in weeks....!

And sorry, no pics :(

Survivalism,

Qbit

cannabanana
Hey I'm wondering, how efficient compared to vaping is oil usage? As in how much more or less weed do you use when you're on the oil all day/weekend as opposed to when you're on a vape?

Qbit,

illadelph

vaked fresh daily
where can i get a ti oil curve and the other pieces needed to properly ingest this awesome oil?

illadelph,

Survivalism

Weapon Enthusiast
Im not really sure about efficiency but my consumption increased right after my first batch was made lol. I need to make some with some of my good buds and weigh everything out so i can calculate yield percentage and then i will have some of an idea.

All the oil i have made so far is with bud that is not smokeable / not worth it to smoke.

I bought my dosa curve off of www.fullmeltbubble.com in the glass market. Yes, its a forum.. but its also the best place to buy high end / established glass on the net to my knowledge. You could also buy a ti oil curve from http://www.aqualabtechnologies.com

You can also go about contacting a glass blower to have them custom make you an oil curve / dome. How you go about doing this im not so sure though.

Survivalism,

Spiderman

oil baron
Exactly how much you use is a factor of your tolerance, above all, but in reference to using an herb vaporizer, i find oil to be a more efficient use of my herb. Others can chime in with their own experiences.

Spiderman,

aznfknpride

borosilicate fiend..
Did my first run last night.. here's the results:
IMG00199-20091120-2342.jpg

I dont think I purged it correctly.. works great though :brow:

aznfknpride,

Spiderman

oil baron
Can you describe what you did?

More detail is better.

Looks underpurged if I had to guess, but its just that. Regardless, glad you enjoyed the process, rock on.

Spiderman,

aznfknpride

borosilicate fiend..
Yeah, I didn't purge it well :( I'll take pics and document what I did next time, this was a spur of the moment kinda thing lol.

aznfknpride,

Spiderman

oil baron
I had guessed you hadnt purged it well by the pic :D , that still doesnt really say anything.

By "can you describe what you did" i was asking you to thoroughly explain every aspect of your process, from start to finish, so that I could help you fine tune it. "More detail is better" meant give me more details than what you said in the first post, please.

Happy to help you out, just need to know what you're doing.

Spiderman,

aznfknpride

borosilicate fiend..
Yeah, sorry that was a quick post from my phone at work.

First, I broke down the nugs that fit into the glass tube I was using. Then I packed the nugs tight and put a coffee filter at the end with SS hoseclamp, cut off excess filter. Had my hot-but-not -boiling water in a pan with my clean pie plate sitting in it... Put in the plastic red nozzle, put on the gloves and blasted about 1/3of the can (I had about 7 grams in there). I changed the water a couple times but I dont think the water was hot enough. I popped the big bubbles with a paper clip and scraped.

I think that was everything.. sorry been oiled up since the run on Friday lol.

aznfknpride,

StickyShisha2

i now use a screen outside of the filter to give strength.
i had the filter split and spray plant matter into the oil. it also splashed some oil onto the ground.

StickyShisha2,

Spiderman

oil baron
Azn,

Once the pan has zero liquid left in it, and only oil on the surface, you can take the pan setup inside and use the stove to warm the water. The key is to have a closed door between where the tane is blasted, and where the kitchen is (meaning, if you're in an apartment with kitchen near patio, dont leave the door open while you blast). Also, using a butane torch instead of a paper clip will significantly help, as it can help you to ensure you are popping all bubbles that would flame up, and minimize the popping of those that dont.

Sticky,
Blowouts are caused (usually) by an uneven pack; specifically tighter packing near the entrance (butane) end than at the exit (coffee filter). It could also occur if you did not have the coffee filter on evenly.
That being said, I've used a single coffee filter for years, with great results, and I dont get blowouts.

Spiderman,

minnesnowta

Vaporist/Glass Head
Ok spiderman your the man for the first part. Your helpin people out with their oil adventures Which is way cool.

So I'm planning on runnin a batch of my own and was able to get a 2 foot length of 1.75" diameter stainless steel tubing. Now my question is will this be too big. I was planning on cutting it to a 6"and a 10" section and try two seperate runs to see which works better. Should I even waste my time with something that big or is it just going to let me run more at a time.

I bought 3 250g cans of 5x refined butane and the torch you recomended as well. I got a dome being Blown so now all that's left is to make my extraction rig. Can't wait to try this and thank you in advance

minnesnowta,
Top Bottom